Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Moose-Alini posted:

Can I skip to Traitor General after First and Only without missing out too much?

No, in fact the entire plot of that book hinges on something you would have skipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fellblade posted:

No, in fact the entire plot of that book hinges on something you would have skipped.

Not reading Necropolis is a mistake.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Necropolis is a must read in my opinion. But god drat I am going mad waiting for Warmaster. I want to read the others again, but I'll have to buy them all anew which sucks balls. loving BL

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Maaaaaaaaaaan Fulgrim starts off real bad.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Moose-Alini posted:

Can I skip to Traitor General after First and Only without missing out too much?

Emperor No!

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had noticed Inquisitor Horseface was mentioned early in First and Only but I didn't think he would actually make an appearance. :woop:

Orv
May 4, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

It gets better.

Wait until you get older and start to think things like "Hmm. Will I die before 'whatever' is completed?"

I somehow managed to avoid reading any in-progress novel series for the first twenty five years of my life or so and now over the last eight I've started drowning in poo poo that won't be finished for a decade or more.

As for Warhammer, I'm caught up on basically all the megaseries that aren't Horus Heresy, along with a slew of standalone and smaller series so I guess it's time to ride that dark train.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose-Alini posted:

You are throwing out the entire Lijah Cuu story with that decision, as well as some excellent individual novels like Straight Silver and Necropolis. The only downright bad Gaunt's Ghosts novel I thought was Sabbat Martyr, which is a crying shame because it was supposed to be the culmination of everything from Honor Guard onwards. But the book is just way too short to effectively discuss the topics is brings up, and has some truly stupid moments, like a Chaos Dreadnought doing a Bugs Bunny and burrowing through the entire novel, only to pop out a chapter before the end, yell at people and then die before it does any damage.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is it true that Abnett came up with Lijah Cuu because the hard drive failed on his computer while writing *some book* and Cuu popped up as a new character while he was trying to rewrite what was lost? I swear I read that somewhere...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yep.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Alright folks I'm convinced. Just bought Ghostmaker and guess I'll spend a few years getting to the great stuff.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Moose-Alini posted:

Alright folks I'm convinced. Just bought Ghostmaker and guess I'll spend a few years getting to the great stuff.

No worries, you're only a book away from Necopolis and that is the great stuff!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also ghostmaker isn't that bad. Mkoll and Dorden really shine in that book.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also ghostmaker isn't that bad. Mkoll and Dorden really shine in that book.

It suffers from some early weirdness as its the book with the highest chaos marine to cultist ratio in the entire series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still isn't a bad book, plus it made sense for the ghosts to see more marines while they were fighting as mainline infantry. The iron warriors they kept coming across were relative pushovers I'll admit, but the book is necessary to establish most of the tanith secondary cast members.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Enjoying Predator, Prey quite a bit more than I did the previous book, which considering it was Abnett, was a surprise. It's still dumb, but gloriously so.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Somebody reassure me that Horus Rising is on the low range of the spectrum for HH books please. I'll even settle for middling.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The issue with the HH books is the scale's a bit more extreme than that. Horus Rising is middling in that sense. You need to read a true classic of the HH series like Battle for the Abyss and then compare it to utter shite like Know No Fear. Honestly, you can just skip to Battle for the Abyss after the first three books, nothing in between them is of any value.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The issue with the HH books is the scale's a bit more extreme than that. Horus Rising is middling in that sense. You need to read a true classic of the HH series like Battle for the Abyss and then compare it to utter shite like Know No Fear. Honestly, you can just skip to Battle for the Abyss after the first three books, nothing in between them is of any value.

How can you fail to mention Nemesis? It's every bit as good as Battle for the Abyss, perhaps more so.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Fun spoiler alert, don't want the guy to actually think you are serious and then not read the legit good ones.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fearless posted:

How can you fail to mention Nemesis? It's every bit as good as Battle for the Abyss, perhaps more so.

Nemesis is actually kinda fun though. Battle for the Abyss is just trash.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Nemesis is actually kinda fun though. Battle for the Abyss is just trash.

If Nemesis was fun to you, you should be scared.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fearless posted:

If Nemesis was fun to you, you should be scared.

It has some fun bits, namely any with the eversor in it, the rest is pure unadultered crap.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Abandon all literary hope, ye who entre here, got it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For anyone who cares, there is a new Text-To-Speech video up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vh_N8CpcL0

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
um....Eternal Crusade was released?

woo?

anyone check it out

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I hear it's not really worth the asking price. Apparently the game was released well before it was ready, and instead of the Planetside-style persistent world MMO that was touted early on it's basically a mediocre, unpolished Battlefield 40,000 instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MMAgCh posted:

I hear it's not really worth the asking price. Apparently the game was released well before it was ready, and instead of the Planetside-style persistent world MMO that was touted early on it's basically a mediocre, unpolished Battlefield 40,000 instead.

So I guess since I ended up as the idiot who liked it I can give a quick rundown.

The MMO stuff was promised by a guy who didn't actually have any working tech, and from what I understand basically lied to the studio heads until he got kicked out and they brought most of a new team in. So it's not Warhammerside anymore, it's a lobby shooter with some unlocks and visual customization and it's perfectly acceptable, even verging on pretty good, considered in a vacuum. Unfortunately, the reality of that vacuum is a lot of janky, sharp edges and lag and registration problems. Right now it's pretty much not worth the $50 'retail', but if you really want to know it's available for around $30 on various sites, but you won't be able to refund that purchase. My advice would be give it a couple months, if they can't fix the jank it'll die a quick death and you won't have to take the risk, if they can get it working well it's a fun game and fills that Warhammer power fantasy pretty well.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

....im not a hard man to please

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

For anyone who cares, there is a new Text-To-Speech video up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vh_N8CpcL0

R.I.P. Dominique, you poor dumb addict. :cry:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I watched a stream or Eternal Crusade and I see it as kind of a shittier Unreal Tournament. It brings nothing new to the table and then only thing it has going for it is the Warhammer skin.

Hell, Unreal Tournament had cool titan assault missions and it's a goddamn travesty Eternal Crusade doesn't have an open city map with a pair of moving objectives in each foot of a walking titan.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Are either the Path of the Eldar or Grey Knights omnibus collections worth getting?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mr.48 posted:

Are either the Path of the Eldar or Grey Knights omnibus collections worth getting?

Haven't read them myself, but as fas as I know, they are on the below average/bad tier.

Arbite posted:

R.I.P. Dominique, you poor dumb addict. :cry:

R.I.P , also I love this Russ, such a dick.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read Path of the Eldar. It seemed like a pretty good overview of the Eldar as a race. So, boring.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The Grey Knights books were pretty ok. It's been a while but I remember the second (?) book was set on this Dark Mechanicus world and was appropriately bizzare. Nowhere near the quality of ADB or Abnet but worth a read if you like Grey Knights

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bango skank posted:

I had noticed Inquisitor Horseface was mentioned early in First and Only but I didn't think he would actually make an appearance. :woop:

RIP Inquisitor Horseface.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read Path of the Eldar. It seemed like a pretty good overview of the Eldar as a race. So, boring.

Adding to this. Note that Path of the Eldar has a few sequels that retell the same story from different perspectives. I strongly advice against subjecting yourself to more than the first book.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm about two-thirds of the way through the new Genestealer Cults novella by Peter Fehervari. If you really likes the Calpurnia series, you'll probably like this book. I am not a big fan of his writing style, so this book is a little more difficult to get through for me than it should be. I was really having a hard time in the first 50 pages or so, but the book does pick up a bit, and having the GSC represented as one of the major players does help somewhat.

I am familiar with GSC from the old days, but I was surprised at how the they are almost portrayed as vampires for the most part. The way they are written in the book almost allows you to swap out "Genestealer Cults" for "Vampire Counts." (Not really a spoiler, but it may be a conclusion you want to come to on your own.) This isn't a bad thing, and it's actually pretty logical, given the way they operate, but it never clicked that way in the past for me.

Again, I don't think the book is that great, but if you like the Genestealer Cult concept, you might want to give this a read, since it gives you a little insight into how they operate (though most of the book is from the viewpoint of people outside the Cult.)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
In canon are there any large chapter-sized loyalist breakaways from traitor legions or are they all stragglers absorbed into Grey Knights and Deathwatch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
In terms of ones that are basically outright stated to be, depending on how they're canonized now, the only decently sized one is Blood Ravens. There's a couple others but the lore is either super cagey about it, barely mentions them or they've been (mostly) wiped out; Death Eagles and Silver Skulls, Minotaurs kinda sorta.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 29, 2016