Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Onmi posted:

Can I just say taking some of these movies lines as meta makes it really hilarious

Well continuity got hosed up, so we need to reboot the franchise. However if we do that, no ones going to have any memories of what happened, it'll all go back to the beginning.

Also the main way of tracking that bad poo poo is happening is analyzing digimon data to find where their data has started reading 02.

EDIT: I needed something to make me laugh because this movie hit so many feels and then ended on "WAIT WHAT?!"

Same, when they kept saying that they need a reboot, I couldn't help but think about South Park's Member Berries episode that came a week ago where they ask J.J. Abrams to reboot the national anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really loving loved this. I also love that they went beyond the four usual episodes.

So season 2 is just straight up in danger of being literally retconned right? Alphamon has time related powers, and there's some kind of fuckery going on with the relationships and what kind of poo poo is brewing in the background. Never mind the reboot that potentially just destroys what we knew of the Digital World. They also seem to be pushing TK and Kari weirdly hard, along with Izzy and Mimi. I have to wonder if the Epilogue is just off the table at this point, because if it ends with a really awful reset button to get things to align with the Epilogue, I don't even know what to say. Also, I'm really happy they're just flat out ignoring season 2's idea that they gave up their crests, while letting elements of season 2 remain like the D3s. Please Tri, keep being good, and don't force yourself into the Epilogue. That was a mistake and should be forgotten

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I still stand by my belief that Alphamon is actually an "end justifies the means" good guy and a servant to Homeostasis .

Of course him fighting Jesmon would actually make Jesmon a bad guy I guess

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I pegged Alphamon as a good guy from when we first met him.

I still have to wonder...

Could this be Apocalymon returning? If the original five DigiDestined become important, which might include the FBI lady considering all the crazy poo poo she seems to be steeped in, they were said to have defeated him in the past. Then the current group defeated him in their adventure. Could he be making a push for revival again? The Dark Masters were his creations after all, and Machinedramon is lurking for the next movie... I don't know where that would put Jesmon though, unless he's some how the Digimon of FBI lady or another of the Five

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm not sure if it's funny or fitting that the season infamous for dumb retcons may well be on they way to being retconned in-canon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, I mean, the kids themselves and the digivices are still gonna exist... although the digimon not so much. Wait, weren't the 02 kids' digimons locked in the digimentals? WAIT, WEREN'T THEIR CLOTHES SPECIFICALLY DATA? poo poo, Davis, Cody and Yolei are going to be laying naked, beat up and with no partners for a while. The Dark Ocean creepos should also be completely unharmed by this, including Cthulhu and that nobody villain from the christmas episodes, also that cybertonic sea thing they mentioned is probably the dark ocean, right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I do still adore how they just decided Eh gently caress Imperialdramon, let's murder him real good. BUT THAT CAT WE JUST MET, WE HAVE TO TRY AND SAVE HER NO MATTER WHAT! Yes even if she killed Leomon. ESPECIALLY since she killed Leomon!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

That is caring way too much about a world game. Not that that's a high bar.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It seems simple enough what likely happened to me:

A translation was made of the base text in preparation for the western/Singapore release. The game runs on the same basic assets on each version, probably with a bunch of exposed hooks so they can put on each system's respective executables to latch into and play the assets. The asset pack they used for the Chinese version is the same as they would for a PS4 version in the west, with the flag set to Chinese. The English text is there because they have one asset pack for international release, and they just flip a flag.

The reason they don't release a Vita version here with a simple flag switch or whatever is that it still loving costs money to certify a Vita version here, get it uploaded to the servers here, and go through all the marketing poo poo and patch poo poo for a version that will probably sell three copies, two of them to the same fucker.

It's not complicated at all, it's just business being business.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

lezard_valeth posted:

Same, when they kept saying that they need a reboot, I couldn't help but think about South Park's Member Berries episode that came a week ago where they ask J.J. Abrams to reboot the national anthem

'Member Whamon?

But on a serious note, I hope that this leads to meta-commentary "did we really need a reboot?" discussion.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Burkion posted:

I really loving loved this. I also love that they went beyond the four usual episodes.

So season 2 is just straight up in danger of being literally retconned right? Alphamon has time related powers, and there's some kind of fuckery going on with the relationships and what kind of poo poo is brewing in the background. Never mind the reboot that potentially just destroys what we knew of the Digital World. They also seem to be pushing TK and Kari weirdly hard, along with Izzy and Mimi. I have to wonder if the Epilogue is just off the table at this point, because if it ends with a really awful reset button to get things to align with the Epilogue, I don't even know what to say. Also, I'm really happy they're just flat out ignoring season 2's idea that they gave up their crests, while letting elements of season 2 remain like the D3s. Please Tri, keep being good, and don't force yourself into the Epilogue. That was a mistake and should be forgotten

I just don't see how we get to the Epilogue from where we are, there's already so much that has changed, they'd have to reboot the reboot.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I doubt the reboot actually changed anything.

The Chosen's partners themselves are reborn without memories, but Alphamon and Jesmon are unchanged, and what's even further, the D-3s themselves didn't revert like Koushirou assumed they would.

Not to mention they did exactly what Himekawa and "Gennai" supposedly wanted.

So yeah, people are jumping to conclusions I think.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not going to get into an argument about anything with you, I just want to point out that your first response is not any kind of thoughts or comments on the new part of Tri released, but instead to continue to go against those that are speculating that maybe, just maybe, the mistake of an epilogue can be forgotten and discarded now.

I don't know, is it just like, a thing with you man? Do you have to speak up every time some one comments something about that subject? What did you think of the actual episodes, that's way more interesting than us fighting over if the ending of season 2 was good or not.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dude, I'm just trying to discuss the dang plot and what I think is going to happen, in response to what other people are putting out. Calm the heck down.

If you say you don't want to argue with me, then don't.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
adventure 02 bad
epilogue worse

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dude, I'm just trying to discuss the dang plot and what I think is going to happen, in response to what other people are putting out. Calm the heck down.

If you say you don't want to argue with me, then don't.

I just want to know what you think of the actual episodes.

And your argument for why the epilogue is going to happen is...nothing more than you saying it will.

I can give a good reason why it shouldn't happen. Not that it won't because for all we know, it'll take a right turn to stupidity and Matt will be off to Mars.

But it shouldn't happen because, quite frankly, that is horrible writing.

This part alone confirmed something that they started in the first part. Namely that they're building up the TK Kari relationship again, and the Izzy Mimi relationship that's been building across all of Tri.

If the end goal is still just the epilogue with no changes or alteration, that's a terrible idea because we know that those relationships go nowhere and it's just a waste of screen time and character interaction. It's all build up for no pay off.

Not even touching the Matt, Sora, Tai triangle which shouldn't have even been brought up since season 2 definitively stated who Sora liked the most before the Epilogue actually doubled down on that.

Tri shouldn't pick up a plot thread like that unless it plans to do something with it. The Epilogue just...kills so much of that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^The epilogue killed TK/Kari? what? the most it did was half imply some pairings and say Yolei and Ken are married with Ken and Stingmon solving crimes.

This could lead to the epilogue being decent, i mean, all the epilogue boils down to is your favorite pairing is canon and everyone gets a digimon. Some nice in-betweens could improve it.

Anyway, I'm mostly with Razor, the reboot is a loving dope thing, but it won't, like, "reboot" 02 out, it's more that all the things that happened in the digital world are back at the start, just probably Piedmon has more or less control over things now since Gatomon got to be with her buddies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This could lead to the epilogue being decent, i mean, all the epilogue boils down to is your favorite pairing is canon and everyone gets a digimon. Some nice in-betweens could improve it.

Anyway, I'm mostly with Razor, the reboot is a loving dope thing, but it won't, like, "reboot" 02 out, it's more that all the things that happened in the digital world are back at the start, just probably Piedmon has more or less control over things now since Gatomon got to be with her buddies.

I don't want to speculate until we see more about how the reboot actually works, like if Machinedramon is alive because of it or because Apocalymon is rising up again or something, but I have a theory if the former is true.

If that is the case, it might be that only things that have Data in the Digital World got rebooted. So, like, anything that died out side of the Digital World won't be back. Might be why a certain duo are around, as both were shown to go to the real world at will, and if that IS the case Peidmon wouldn't be around anyways. He got Gate of Destiny'd out of existence which I think takes him to another reality entirely

EDIT- The only couples implied, or confirmed, to be together at all were just Matt and Sora, since their kids were basically pallet swaps of their color schemes, and the obvious Yolie and Ken who were most certainly a thing.

But I don't care what Tri tries to do, Matt going to Mars is the dumbest most out of left field thing possible. Unless he gets there via rock and roll, at which point gently caress it I'm on board

Burkion fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 27, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I've believed in TK/Kari since elementary school and by god i'm not giving up now

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't say anything about the epilogue or that it'd actually happen. I'm talking about how people are jumping to conclusions about what occurred in this movie and that I think that the characters may have either been lied to or something happened that kept things from happening the way certain characters wanted it to.

I have no interest in you policing my posts or trying to rip open that old argument we left dead and buried months ago, either. I said some things based on erroneous information last time this subject came up. I apologize for that. But I don't want to subject this thread or everyone else to that mess again, either.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Then let's clear the air

What did you think of Confession

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I didn't much care for a lot of it. Not enough to make me drop it but there was a lot of stuff I didn't care for.

HerakleKabuterimon's bit was super neat, though.

I didn't say of this, for the record, in my initial post because I didn't want to bring down the people who liked it and start a big freaking fight, so I just talked about the reboot plot point. But I guess that failed.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't much care for a lot of it. Not enough to make me drop it but there was a lot of stuff I didn't care for.

HerakleKabuterimon's bit was super neat, though.

I didn't say of this, for the record, in my initial post because I didn't want to bring down the people who liked it and start a big freaking fight, so I just talked about the reboot plot point. But I guess that failed.

See I'd much rather hear about why you didn't care for it!

That's interesting to me because me and my group loved it and most of the responses I've seen has been overwhelmingly positive.

I personally think that taking what is entirely a kids action adventure show designed to sell cheap electronics (and then toys and then card games) and spending an entire 5 episode run time of a movie on the emotional bonds and feelings of the characters and their partners, where the only action scene is deeply tied into that emotional turmoil and is not being showy or 'cool' in the traditional sense...

It's just really kind of refreshing and great. As episodes, it suffers way more because it is far more narrative driven, and unlike the other two which were obviously designed to be broken up into four, this clearly wasn't considering how the first episode just

Ends.

But I think that speaks more to its strengths than its failings.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think Digimon has done that kind of thing, and done just as effectively or better, in the shows themselves. The issues of losing and their bonds with their partners, have been the cornerstones of the various series. Honestly, this feels kind of like retreading ground that Adventure itself covered.

I think they've drawn out Taichi's indecisiveness too long, and I'm not much a fan of how Agumon seems like a flanderized version of the wrong Agumon. He's never exactly been deep, but this was a character who once got into a discussion about the nature of existence with his own opposite number, and now he's all "snacks" and "is a reboot a thing you can eat?" He's just written as too childish and simple, and it stands out more when Tailmon, Gomamon, Patamon, and Tentomon are getting decent focus.

And whatever your thoughts on 02 are, Yamato just accepting what Himekawa said about how Ken and his family "are alright" when someone who looked like the Kaiser appeared right in front of them in the last movie, strikes me as... really really contrived. If you don't like 02 or it's characters, that's fine, but Tri. made their disappearance a plot point, and they're handling it really really awkwardly. It has nothing to do with being a disservice to 02 or whatever - again, I have no interest in debating things like that here. This is their own plot point and someone like Yamato, who has always been shrewd and protective of his friends and, quite frankly, as he's someone who's been deceived before? I don't think he'd buy it for a minute.

It felt messy to me. There's lots of good ideas and character moments in the movie, but it doesn't feel cohesive to me, and they're taking some of the characters in a direction I don't like. I'm also not really fond of "Hikari the walking plot device" making a return either, especially since I felt the first two movies handled her really well in comparison.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
I don't think that you can say yet that Tri is going to invalidate the 02 epilogue.

Of the original Adventure crew, half of them (Mimi, Sora, Kari, and Matt) end up in careers that they could decide on between the end of Tri and the 02 epilogue. They might change it so that Matt doesn't reach Mars, but he could still end up an astronaut.

The other half (TK, Izzy, Joe, and Tai), are more dependent on how much of a thing the digital world is gonna be in relation to the real world. If it's as much of a thing as portrayed in the epilogue, there's no need for changes. If it's less, Tai and Joe could easily be reworked into real world focused diplomat and doctor, respectively, and Izzy and TK would probably be seen more as oddballs for their focuses on the digital world.

Shipping-wise, I don't think you can say that Izzy/Mimi would be invalidated by the epilogue, in that there's nothing that confirms or denies that they hook up. If you want to go the reaching for hints route, the group shot in the epilogue does place them next to each other. You could sorta say the same for TK/Kari, although you might have to add that they don't stay together based on how TK doesn't mention that they hook up and doesn't want to mention that it didn't work out in his narration.

Hopefully, Tai/Sora/Matt provide a beautiful shipper meltdown. It's been two years since Naruto, I need my fix, and Bleach couldn't scratch that itch.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Somebody already tried to turn someone's speculation/musing into news about a fake stinger for movie 4 with Hikari supposedly disappearing as Takeru calls out to her.

It was just someone's idea for something they'd want to see that got misconstrued as news.

This fandom never changes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
EVERYTHING with season 2 is really weird in comparison to Tri.

It's like season 2 only sort of happened, but only TK and Kari really seem to remember it well. This isn't going against your point, by the by, just extrapolating on it.

Like, no one but TK and Kari cared that Imperialdramon was evil and none of them gave a poo poo that he got killed.

And to be fair, as it turns out the Digimon Kaiser stuff was pretty suspect. Just, not in the way they could have guessed.

With Agumon... I don't know on that. I don't know how Japanese Agumon was. I know how American Agumon was, where he was a genuinely good hearted character, much wiser than he was intelligent, who could be very insightful at times. So this more childish Agumon annoys me, but I genuinely do not know if that's more like he was in the Japanese version or not.

I thought his moment with Tai, where he's just utterly straight forward and honest with him, was a very good one that mitigated some of the nonsense a bit better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adventure Agumon could eat, but it was Savers Agumon who was all about food to a greater degree. And even then, it wasn't the whole of his character.

It being weird in the context of 02 isn't the issue I have. In the context of Tri, Ken is A Character Who Exists. Yamato knows him, and we can reasonably infer that he is someone the others care about because, again, it's Yamato who said he was worried and came around to Daigo and Maki asking questions. And someone who looks just like him appeared right before them, with Himekawa's news contradicting the exact thing he came to ask them about, at least as far as Yamato is concerned.

Something doesn't add up. It's not "weird and inconsistent with 02", it's "weird and inconsistent with Tri." They're hurting their own narrative.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Talking about 02 and its relationship with Tri, word on street is that movie 4 will finally address the Dark Ocean.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Talking about 02 and its relationship with Tri, word on street is that movie 4 will finally address the Dark Ocean.

I'm

Pretty sure TFRaz just brought up this rumor and why its bullshit

The next movie looks like it's going to be all about Tai, Matt and Sora's love triangle and whatever Machinedramon is doing there for.

This would leave movie 5 for either Kari and TK development/Mega Level, or just Kari. And then the last movie would be just TK because... Angemon's evolution is always last.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I brought up what now?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I wonder if Mei will sit out the next movie and if they'll spend all of it in the digital world. It would be interesting I feel

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TFRazorsaw posted:

... I brought up what now?

Wouldn't that be the one where Kari disappears with TK calling out for her? That thing you brought up here-

TFRazorsaw posted:

Somebody already tried to turn someone's speculation/musing into news about a fake stinger for movie 4 with Hikari supposedly disappearing as Takeru calls out to her.

It was just someone's idea for something they'd want to see that got misconstrued as news.

This fandom never changes.

Because that's just a rehash of the Dark Ocean stuff that was good from season 2.

if it's two totally unrelated things then what the poo poo that is some freaky coincidence there

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I specifically said that wasn't real. I called it a *fake* stinger.

I mentioned it because the comment above me talked about this fandom having a shipper meltdown. This fandom does crazy shipping poo poo and I provided an example. It's not something that's going to happen.

EDIT - oh wait, I misread what you were saying. Yeah, sorry. You're right. It's late and I'm getting confused.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never mind!

Confusion averted good job us

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the dark ocean is that supersonic sea they mentioned in this movie.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The quantum sea. And it can't be, Maki calls it the space in which parallel realities exist. The Dark Ocean is itself a parallel world, not the whole big thing containing them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I just want to see them messing up all the Season 1 villains' plans by knowing what they're gonna try in one long rear end montage.

Fix up Andromon real fast, help him punch the poo poo out of Devimon. Trick Etemon into a battle of the bands with Matt, while quietly freeing Datamon, and then spread rumors that Myotismon is saying they're both pussies while he's still busy getting his army ready, then everyone sits back and watches them fight. Reach Ultimate, then cheat and use pre-existing knowledge and relationships to activate Agumon and Gabumon's Megas, then form Omnimon, and have him just juggle the Dark Masters like toys.

Bring a bunch of super extra large pizzas for Apocalymon and have a kick rear end party with him, get him like a friendship bracelet and a cellphone and put him on Facebook and poo poo.

End with a classic 90s friendship photo freeze frame of them all fishing or something, Apocalymon using his chains to catch Whamon, everyone's laughing.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kurui Reiten posted:

I just want to see them messing up all the Season 1 villains' plans by knowing what they're gonna try in one long rear end montage.

Fix up Andromon real fast, help him punch the poo poo out of Devimon. Trick Etemon into a battle of the bands with Matt, while quietly freeing Datamon, and then spread rumors that Myotismon is saying they're both pussies while he's still busy getting his army ready, then everyone sits back and watches them fight. Reach Ultimate, then cheat and use pre-existing knowledge and relationships to activate Agumon and Gabumon's Megas, then form Omnimon, and have him just juggle the Dark Masters like toys.

Bring a bunch of super extra large pizzas for Apocalymon and have a kick rear end party with him, get him like a friendship bracelet and a cellphone and put him on Facebook and poo poo.

End with a classic 90s friendship photo freeze frame of them all fishing or something, Apocalymon using his chains to catch Whamon, everyone's laughing.

lezard_valeth posted:

Someone dropped this on tumblr. Let the WMG begin!

This was Piedmon's convoluted plan to do that, but against the digidestined.

"I'm gonna make Gennai evil, and six years later, he's gonna cause poo poo that requires a full reboot of the Digital world. Him and some chick he recruits to his side before then will use their knowledge of what happens to thwart the digidestined at every step, and then there will be no one to stop us. Victory will be ours!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurui Reiten posted:

I want to see that too. Just cheat like Hell so they can get back to their relative present to face the real threat.

Kuroyama posted:

This was Piedmon's convoluted plan to do that, but against the digidestined.

"I'm gonna make Gennai evil, and six years later, he's gonna cause poo poo that requires a full reboot of the Digital world. Him and some chick he recruits to his side before then will use their knowledge of what happens to thwart the digidestined at every step, and then there will be no one to stop us. Victory will be ours!"

This would also be good. Piedmon was really underwhelming, so him actually being smart enough to manipulate events like this would be great.