Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Feeling pretty satisfied. :)

I love that set. And the space portapotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Nice! Reminds me that all my old TV antennas are either gone or bent up. :(

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Feeling pretty satisfied. :)

Oh, that baseplate on the left is wonderful. I keep meaning to use mine for some kind of space base but never get round to it. I wish they still did ones with features and stuff. I guess you're really supposed to just make 'em yourself though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I did something bad.

I ordered three of the Mega Bloks Destiny sets. I didn't have a choice! I had to have the Future War Cult Warlock! :negative:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The megablok minifigs are actually pretty cool, they look a bit cheap if you study them but they have cool detail and articulation for something that small.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Hmm quite tempted to order the Lepin Haunted House, anyone here ordered anything big to the UK from there before?

Edit: scrap that found the Lord of the Rings Saruman's tower. Defo having that.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 25, 2016

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I did something bad.

I ordered three of the Mega Bloks Destiny sets. I didn't have a choice! I had to have the Future War Cult Warlock! :negative:

I saw those at the store and just stared am them for about ten minutes thinking about how if they were out around 6 months after the game launched, I'd probably get some, and convincing myself not to get them now. Which ones did you get?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

A Bad Poster posted:

I saw those at the store and just stared am them for about ten minutes thinking about how if they were out around 6 months after the game launched, I'd probably get some, and convincing myself not to get them now. Which ones did you get?

The Arcadia Jumpship, the Warlock Armory, and one of the Sparrows. Should be here tomorrow. If I'd seen them a month ago I'd have probably passed, but I've been playing Rise of Iron all week.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I did something bad.

This reminded me to check, and evidently the Star Trek Mega Bloks are out. $250 for the Enterprise so I guess that won't be an impulse buy. Also looks like you have to buy three separate sets to get the full cast, no surprise there.

Edit: Make that four, missed McCoy.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=92497256

Knormal fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 26, 2016

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Arcadia Jumpship, the Warlock Armory, and one of the Sparrows. Should be here tomorrow. If I'd seen them a month ago I'd have probably passed, but I've been playing Rise of Iron all week.

Jang from Jangbricks had an issue with the Arcadia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wo6e1djzj8

I picked up one of the Sparrows (the Hunter one), and it's fine.

Mega Bloks has kind of been stepping it up lately, instead of huge specialized pieces they've switched over to a base of general pieces and then a bunch of specialized pieces to smooth things out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

McDragon posted:

Oh, that baseplate on the left is wonderful. I keep meaning to use mine for some kind of space base but never get round to it. I wish they still did ones with features and stuff. I guess you're really supposed to just make 'em yourself though.

I have the version of that baseplate that was recolored in blue and black to be the base of the Aquasharks undersea submarine docking port. Much less versative :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn someone at lego is working really hard to give 90's space fans new parts to work with.

Can't wait to use those rock wheel things to make rocket engines out of. Not to mention all that sweet trans orange.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Nexo Knights sets don't really do anything for me, but that part selection is amazing. I miss seeing giant trans-orange pieces in stuff.

I also really love this MOC:

The Mechanic by Vince_Toulouse

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nexo Knights sets don't really do anything for me, but that part selection is amazing. I miss seeing giant trans-orange pieces in stuff.

I like the use of the wrench from Duplo.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have a complete Bumblebee Girl that they are willing to sell or trade at non insane prices?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I didn't care for them either until my 11-year-old son bought a set. The sets are more fun than I thought they would be. Steampunk knights vs. monsters is great, and the movement built into the sets is superb.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Managed to find full sets of the garbage and TV themed Mixels at my TRU, of course all the snake ninja ones were sold out. Sad that this is the last series, Mixels have always been great and I always enjoyed combining them into the larger forms after I got tired of looking at the individual sets.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I built the Destiny Mega Bloks sets tonight and it was one of the must infuriating experiences I've ever had with a building toy. The figures are great, very poseable, and I like how they've made them customizable and packed them with pretty good representations of Destiny's weapons. Unfortunately, most of them are packaged with very lackluster vehicle builds.

-The Sparrow was okay, but fairly fragile and the central plate that holds everything together has a big ugly MADE IN CHINA print on the side which is visible in the final build. The back half of the Sparrow is held together with a single friction pin and comes off at the slightest nudge.

- The Arcadia Jumpship is so disappointing because they nailed the general look and shape of the ship, but the build is awful. Cheap pieces, lovely instructions, massive color variation between pieces. Several of my pieces had to have mold lines trimmed in order to fit and some of the larger ones actually came in the box on sprues. I was also missing two detail-related pieces that don't have Lego equivalents, so I'm not sure if it's worth displaying.

I'm glad there's options for Destiny merch that aren't $200 dolls, but man I wish Lego had this license. Mega Bloks is still as terrible as it was when I was a kid. The only difference is the figures, which I suggest you grab off ebay or just buy the armory packs. Hopefully they'll do a blind bag series for Guardians like they've done for Halo. But don't buy the actual sets.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm down for those new Nexo Knights sets, anything where the bad guys are even vaguely spooky or halloweeny immediately wins me over. Much better than bad guys that are lava themed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The red mohawk guy in the current nexo sets is the best lego villain ever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

This is seriously one of the coolest MOCs I've ever seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd be afraid to touch it though, the arms are held to the shoulder by two studs an that's not even the weakest connection I can spot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xzzy posted:

I'd be afraid to touch it though, the arms are held to the shoulder by two studs an that's not even the weakest connection I can spot.

"DO NOT loving TOUCH"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a Lego Dimensions thread? Search brought up nothing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a Lego Dimensions thread? Search brought up nothing.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744426

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
One more for the "building Lego while colorblind" list here. I've found that using my really-bright desk lamp to look at the pieces and the instructions helps.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What are they using for the head and eyes?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Forgot I'd ordered the Adventure Time dimensions fun pack. Just showed up. I don't play the game, I just like some of the figures...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Knormal posted:

What are they using for the head and eyes?

I could be wrong, but it looks like one of those pre-Bionicle Galidor pieces.

If he's using that torso as the core of the build, maybe he's also using those sockets for the arms?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I could be wrong, but it looks like one of those pre-Bionicle Galidor pieces.

If he's using that torso as the core of the build, maybe he's also using those sockets for the arms?

Looks right to me.

Holy moly that thing is so specialized you could barely call it Lego. Cool to see people are repurposing them into something cool though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
After like 3 weeks sorting is (mostly) finished so I started building.

Still a few missing parts here and there, hopefully they turn up.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
On the note of people build Lepin legos (got Cafe Corner myself, didn't build yet), I got a Decool (knockoff of Lepin) Technic set to see if they can at least do Technic stuff in China. Building it now, and I must say I'm glad I only spent $16 on this. Random parts are loose, so if you want that 2 length red rod to stick, you better try different ones because they are not all the same diameter. The plastic color isn't evenly mixed, so black rods have this white tint throughout the whole thing.

I heavily advice anyone looking to find cheaper old Technic sets to stay away from Decool. None of the Lepin Technic sets are super cheap, so didn't buy one as a test run with them. Anyone else get theirs and can comment on their quality?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Mine GO BOOM posted:

On the note of people build Lepin legos (got Cafe Corner myself, didn't build yet), I got a Decool (knockoff of Lepin) Technic set to see if they can at least do Technic stuff in China. Building it now, and I must say I'm glad I only spent $16 on this. Random parts are loose, so if you want that 2 length red rod to stick, you better try different ones because they are not all the same diameter. The plastic color isn't evenly mixed, so black rods have this white tint throughout the whole thing.

I heavily advice anyone looking to find cheaper old Technic sets to stay away from Decool. None of the Lepin Technic sets are super cheap, so didn't buy one as a test run with them. Anyone else get theirs and can comment on their quality?

I got the Decool dirt bike and formula 1 race car and thought they're both pretty nice quality for the Aliexpress price, especially since TopCashback is giving 7% back right now.

I did have to q-tip some silicone lube into the bike chain and engine pistons to run smoothly, otherwise the friction would cause the chain to snap.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

Zero VGS posted:

I did have to q-tip some silicone lube into the bike chain and engine pistons to run smoothly, otherwise the friction would cause the chain to snap.
I'll do a full review, including photos of problems, descriptions of bits that have holes and measurements of pins in a later post, but for the chain you can get around that by ensuring you have all the chain links pointing outwards. Like this:

I'm about 80% of the way through building it. For my model, as long as you ensure you use good selection of parts (the little red 2 length rods and the black pins) in critical points, it is strong enough. But if you get a crappy 11 length rod, of which there is only one in this set, then there isn't much you can do beyond pulling out the glue or making sure no one touches that part, otherwise pieces will fall off.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah no way I'd buy knock off Technic, that stuff needs to be precise! Apparently there's a national holiday in China and distributors are prioritising STNR WARS Lego so I had to add an extra 10 days to receive my Tower of Orthanc. Exciting though! Tempted to order the Haunted House, you know, for the sake of Halloween.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I love STNR WARS

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Here's 3.75 go see a STNR WAR

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Speaking of traitorous knockoff legos, my sister grabbed this guy for me from the gas station recently:

They're the same size as Lego and all that, but the hands are bent pretty weirdly. Cool face/hat though.

Even more weird, the knees bend so you can make them kneel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Electromax posted:

Even more weird, the knees bend so you can make them kneel:

That's remarkably forward-thinking of them.