Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Stanford University has a code-commonality tool to identify what its name implies. Someone ran it over Raceflight and Cleanflight. Apparently the firmware part of the Raceflight codedrop matches Cleanflight by over 60%. Some complete rewrite that is. :laffo:

40% is significantly different.They could easily have done a complete rewrite on the controller part and get that result, if they've left all the UI, etc stuff the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bring back old gbs posted:

I've always had really good luck with Banggood, about 2 weeks from ordering to my door in canada. Banggood also has a USA site where you can order things from their US warehouse and it gets to me in a week or less, but they don't have everything. I've also discovered that Hobbyking will ship to Canada if you order from the USA WEST warehouse. So no waiting a month+ for whatever sled dog service they use to ship from Hong Kong.

Yeah, I also ordered a replacement camera (probably didn't need to, pretty sure it's just the VTx that died, but ehn) and that came from Banggood's US warehouse; got that one last week.

Oh well. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

New question while I'm bored, I noticed last week that unless I punched the hell out of the throttle my drone would not take off even remotely straight up; it would tend to pitch far backwards, or even flip back entirely on the props if I was particularly light on the throttle. Once in the air it was fine, besides the tendency to yaw I mentioned upthread. Is that normal, or a sign I've either misconfigured something in dRonin or even damaged the motors/mounts or something at some point?

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Possibly ground effects? I never trust a drone's behavior less than six feet off the ground.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

do you have a full build log?

I meant to reply to you earlier, but no real build log because most of the experimentation happened in v1. v2 was just more streamlining and putting all the parts in one package. V1 was planned to be a completely lightweight stripped down FPV headset, just the Kopin module and the plastic housing, and a headphone jack so I could feed in 5v, GND, and video in a single thin line fed from my groundstation.

I used it this way for a while, but I got sick of taking off the goggles to flip the quad back over every time I crashed so I made this addon module from an RX5808 I had lying around.

But then I went to add the DVR and it just started getting eclectic:

So I started from scratch with a better receiver setup and now it's:

-FuriousFPV diversity module
-Kopin 320x240 optics thingy
-Eachine ProDVR
-1s > 5v step-up regulator

and I power it from a single 18650 I printed a little housing for, and it just velcros to the back of the head strap. I used to get away with a few hours of flying on a 700mah 1s, but the OLED in the diversity rx kills a lot more power.

All in all I probably wasted more money in man hours than a pair of Fatshark HDs cost, but in material costs they were pretty cheap for what they do. I got my friend to photoscan my head, which was then used as the boolean object to cut the head curve out, so it fits me pretty well. Gotta take advantage of the medium.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

insta posted:

Possibly ground effects? I never trust a drone's behavior less than six feet off the ground.

Probably, I guess. I assume it really is normal behavior, and punching the throttle is the right way to get going. But after the Terracotta Triangle disaster and the damage to the VTx and that capacitor I'm not really sure of much anymore :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I meant to reply to you earlier, but no real build log because most of the experimentation happened in v1. v2 was just more streamlining and putting all the parts in one package. V1 was planned to be a completely lightweight stripped down FPV headset, just the Kopin module and the plastic housing, and a headphone jack so I could feed in 5v, GND, and video in a single thin line fed from my groundstation.

I used it this way for a while, but I got sick of taking off the goggles to flip the quad back over every time I crashed so I made this addon module from an RX5808 I had lying around.

But then I went to add the DVR and it just started getting eclectic:

So I started from scratch with a better receiver setup and now it's:

-FuriousFPV diversity module
-Kopin 320x240 optics thingy
-Eachine ProDVR
-1s > 5v step-up regulator

and I power it from a single 18650 I printed a little housing for, and it just velcros to the back of the head strap. I used to get away with a few hours of flying on a 700mah 1s, but the OLED in the diversity rx kills a lot more power.

All in all I probably wasted more money in man hours than a pair of Fatshark HDs cost, but in material costs they were pretty cheap for what they do. I got my friend to photoscan my head, which was then used as the boolean object to cut the head curve out, so it fits me pretty well. Gotta take advantage of the medium.

That's really neat!. I was trying to look for those optics, but can't seem to find them anywhere..do you have a link handy? Also, what do you drive them with?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's really neat!. I was trying to look for those optics, but can't seem to find them anywhere..do you have a link handy? Also, what do you drive them with?

Hre are the exact video glasses I bought and extracted them from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Por...dc-b33a84ff7737

But here is what I would buy today. 640x480 according to the stats:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hea...9f-4618378b0bb6

So I just used the boards from these. There is a main board with 2 ribbon cable connections for each eye module and that main board has a 4 pin JST connector on it that I had a ton if lying around. Pretty sure its the same 4 pin UART cable you get with a lot of flight controllers. The 4 pins are for 5v, gnd, video and ???. The 4th pin is possibly a signal connection for an adjustment menu? It's not for audio since that is handled on a daughter board that I chose not to include.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
What layer height are you using on that set of blue goggles? Looks crazy, like half a millimeter or more. Do you have a Volcano or something?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

What layer height are you using on that set of blue goggles? Looks crazy, like half a millimeter or more. Do you have a Volcano or something?

I drilled out a 0.5mm to 0.8 to try it out, it really was nuts. So my layers were ~0.65mm. You can't really do fiddly bits like screw holes with that, though it did print fast.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

THe 3dr solo is also good and pixhawk based, and perfect depending on the payload (and cheap).
This is a good suggestion, thanks! I'll try to learn more about the payload requirements and see if 800g will cut it. Thanks again!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hre are the exact video glasses I bought and extracted them from:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Por...dc-b33a84ff7737

But here is what I would buy today. 640x480 according to the stats:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hea...9f-4618378b0bb6

So I just used the boards from these. There is a main board with 2 ribbon cable connections for each eye module and that main board has a 4 pin JST connector on it that I had a ton if lying around. Pretty sure its the same 4 pin UART cable you get with a lot of flight controllers. The 4 pins are for 5v, gnd, video and ???. The 4th pin is possibly a signal connection for an adjustment menu? It's not for audio since that is handled on a daughter board that I chose not to include.

I got a set of Fatshark Attitude V3's, but this is a tempting project..especially if I can get it to 640x480. I have all the spare parts, except the optics. (And I got a printer and access to a 3D scanner)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The EASA is giving drone regulations a try. If this were to pass as-is, anyone in Europe could pretty much run a steamroller over their self-built multicopters.

DIY would be limited to 250gr, 54km/h and 100m range to be legal. Anything beyond has to be RTF, still subject to very limited range and require license and registration.

http://droneinsider.org/new-easa-drone-regulations-threaten-kill-uk-european-drone-industry/

ImplicitAssembler posted:

40% is significantly different.They could easily have done a complete rewrite on the controller part and get that result, if they've left all the UI, etc stuff the same.
This is only the flight controller part, which has essentially zero UI (apart from a simple console parser). The function names are nearly all the same and functionality that isn't common apparently still looks mostly the same to the eye.

I guess the point is that they claimed a total rewrite and not being in violation with the GPL. This tool retroactively proves that it's bullshit.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Progress on v2 of my goggles built around a FuriousFPV diversity receiver and Eachine ProDVR:

Got picture.

And DVR working.

Now I need to get one of those little TBS patch antennas, I'm going to test it out with a TBS Triumph and a rubber ducky tomorrow. Printing the face mask now.

That is rad as hell, nice work!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Stanford University has a code-commonality tool to identify what its name implies. Someone ran it over Raceflight and Cleanflight. Apparently the firmware part of the Raceflight codedrop matches Cleanflight by over 60%. Some complete rewrite that is. :laffo:
LMBO

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Anone have an opinion on the Eachine VR-007s? They're dirt cheap at the moment ($43!) so I'm looking at snagging a pair.

I know they've been superseded by the EV008s, but the internal lipo on the 008s makes me a bit concerned about their longevity, and the new Eachine VR D2s seem to have a lot of issues. Any reason not to pick up the 007s, or another pair of cheap goggles I should look at instead?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

squidgee posted:

Anone have an opinion on the Eachine VR-007s? They're dirt cheap at the moment ($43!) so I'm looking at snagging a pair.

I know they've been superseded by the EV008s, but the internal lipo on the 008s makes me a bit concerned about their longevity, and the new Eachine VR D2s seem to have a lot of issues. Any reason not to pick up the 007s, or another pair of cheap goggles I should look at instead?

I've got a pair, and they're pretty clear, haven't used them a lot but they fit well, work well. OK for the price.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Jamsta posted:

I've got a pair, and they're pretty clear, haven't used them a lot but they fit well, work well. OK for the price.

Thanks! That's the sense I got from all of the reviews (cheap and work well for the money).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kinda wanna buy a pair of those for myself when I get my replacement VTx, actually. I have to imagine the goggle experience, even with a cheap pair, is way better than with a display attached to your remote.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Ciaphas posted:

Kinda wanna buy a pair of those for myself when I get my replacement VTx, actually. I have to imagine the goggle experience, even with a cheap pair, is way better than with a display attached to your remote.

I just ordered them, so I'll post my thoughts once they arrive. They're dirt cheap, so worst case scenario I use them as a spare pair for friends.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

squidgee posted:

A friend as a set. Coming from head plays and dominators, they are surprisingly decent. Definitely a good option for the money. They come with bullshit USB rechargeable 9V thing that sucks though. Stick a regular 2S Lipo on them

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The EASA is giving drone regulations a try. If this were to pass as-is, anyone in Europe could pretty much run a steamroller over their self-built multicopters.

DIY would be limited to 250gr, 54km/h and 100m range to be legal. Anything beyond has to be RTF, still subject to very limited range and require license and registration.

http://droneinsider.org/new-easa-drone-regulations-threaten-kill-uk-european-drone-industry/

Haven't read the actual regulations, so I don't know how accurate this article is, but that sounds rather bad. Hopefully the big drone manufacturers (DJI, now GoPro, etc) have enough sway with the EU to knock this back, though I don't know why they would expend much effort on the DIY regs given that it directly benefits them to have RTF quads required by law. Is there an EU version of the AMA?

Wojcigitty posted:

A friend as a set. Coming from head plays and dominators, they are surprisingly decent. Definitely a good option for the money. They come with bullshit USB rechargeable 9V thing that sucks though. Stick a regular 2S Lipo on them

Thanks for this! I think they come with the Eachine faux-Fatshark 1600 mah 2s now, rather than those 9v things - will report back whenever they arrive in the mail.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 30, 2016

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

subx posted:

I'll probably go with that. How does using multiple plugs work? Just straight plugging in multiple connections with a Y-cable or whatever for better current? Also for the servos themselves, the receiver always sent out 4.7v right? You still need a BEC for high voltage servos?

Also I've never binded multiple receivers, I think you flew with the same radio I have, so I assume it's possible with a 14SG? (easy question to answer myself I guess when I get home, hard to look up now)

For multiple plugs, all the negative and positive connections on the receiver go to a common bus. So you can provide power to all servos and the receiver from any port or ports. Just make up either a harness with Deans in and two or three servo plugs out, or get a heavy duty switch with deans in (like a fromeco badger) and solder a few servo plugs to the output. The receiver will always output what goes into it. So if you plug 2S Lipo directly into the receiver your servos will get 2S voltage. You don't need a BEC with 2S capable servos.

To bind multiple receivers, it depends on the type. For FASST receivers, just bind them one at a time in the normal fashion. You need to do a bit more programming for multiple FASSTEST/telemetry receivers...the manual covers it though I think.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Just to explain why this is a good idea, the JST plugs that we use on servos, and those red JST plugs are NOT very good electrically. Having a bunch of them in parallel will overcome much of the problems with them. (like having whole ohms of resistance...)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I like Molex Micro-Fit for anywhere I need decent current flow and small size. They come in a bunch of different form factors and are keyed and locking as well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Nerobro posted:

Just to explain why this is a good idea, the JST plugs that we use on servos, and those red JST plugs are NOT very good electrically. Having a bunch of them in parallel will overcome much of the problems with them. (like having whole ohms of resistance...)

Yes. Sorry I wasn't clear. A modern high torque servo can pull 5-6 amps, and those plugs have high resistance which means heat and voltage drops and are probably only good for 5-6 amps. One battery input to a receiver with multiple high current servos will create significant voltage drops and can lead to brown outs and reduced servo torque under load.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Are there any F4 based flight controllers out yet that have a built in OSD? I'm looking at the Flip32 Omnibus to upgrade my naze32, but I might as well go for an F4 board since they seem to be the new hotness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Airbot is soon going to release an F4 Omnibus with OSD.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Combat Pretzel posted:

EASA being EASA. Aviation in Europe has always been massively over-regulated. I don't know why people expected anything else with regards to UASs.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I picked up one of those micro cam/vtx modules (FX798T) and it has a connector on the end I'm not familiar with. I'm probably going to be swapping it between different craft so I'm not big on soldering directly to something. Is there a connector you would recommend to replace it with? I'm very new to this stuff and I'm not sure what is out there.

Thanks

Sinecure
Sep 10, 2011
They're called Losi Micro T connectors, but the pigtails I've found with those were rather expensive. Another common connector around that size is the Molex PicoBlade (although I bought them as 'micro JST 1.25').

On the other hand, even if it's soldered down you can always desolder it later and extend the wires if needed, especially on a very small craft the connectors add a relatively large amount of unnecessary weight.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MrYenko posted:

EASA being EASA. Aviation in Europe has always been massively over-regulated. I don't know why people expected anything else with regards to UASs.
The problem I have with it is that DIY gets shafted hard, while RTF gets basically scot-free. Which is utterly backwards, considering what sort of drones are prominent in incident reports and which not.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I grew up flying gas-powered RC planes in a field with grandpas and no rules. Harassing grazing sheep, flying in circles, and oh the balsawood explosions I've seen. What's the best battery powered <$200 RC plane to get me back in business? Ideally it's an ARF and comes with a lovely radio.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does anyone else get nervous when they see someone flying their sick new Phantom over a crowd, or am I just being a worry wart? I was at a concert yesterday and saw a UAV flying in the distance so I went over to chat with the dude about his gear and the local flying community and stuff. When he didn't know what a transmitter was, thought it was crazy that I can build my own quad, and was excited about how DJI just updated the app recently with all these cool features, I realized and confirmed that this was his first UAV. My rear end in a top hat puckered up when he was above the dense crowd and he was talking about how the video signal was cutting out and the controls were acting funny, and when I asked him about the RTH function, and he said he turns it off because it messes with his sweet shots.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

French Canadian posted:

I grew up flying gas-powered RC planes in a field with grandpas and no rules. Harassing grazing sheep, flying in circles, and oh the balsawood explosions I've seen. What's the best battery powered <$200 RC plane to get me back in business? Ideally it's an ARF and comes with a lovely radio.

I have one of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8359__AXN_Floater_Jet_Glider_EPO_1127mm_PNF_.html

and a Turnigy 9x radio set http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html

and with a couple of appropriate batteries http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8932__Turnigy_2200mAh_3S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html

you'll come in just under $200 with shipping all said and done. Fun plane, not too huge to store but not so small that you can't fly in some wind, forgiving to fly, all foam so crashes are more bouncy than explodey. Check out the reviews on Hobbyking and you'll see lots of happy people.

Also, this way instead of a lovely radio, you'll get actually a very good radio with a lot of hobbyist support. If you're okay with some intermediate soldering and microcontroller flashing, the open-source ER9X firmware is really awesome.

e: here's a video of the sort of performance you can expect. interesting takeoff strategy this guy has (you're supposed to hand launch it and belly-land, though I'm thinking of printing some little nylon wheels and a tail skid for mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOGwIRbwvI

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 2, 2016

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does anyone else get nervous when they see someone flying their sick new Phantom over a crowd, or am I just being a worry wart? I was at a concert yesterday and saw a UAV flying in the distance so I went over to chat with the dude about his gear and the local flying community and stuff. When he didn't know what a transmitter was, thought it was crazy that I can build my own quad, and was excited about how DJI just updated the app recently with all these cool features, I realized and confirmed that this was his first UAV. My rear end in a top hat puckered up when he was above the dense crowd and he was talking about how the video signal was cutting out and the controls were acting funny, and when I asked him about the RTH function, and he said he turns it off because it messes with his sweet shots.

This has to be a parody

French Canadian posted:

Shopping list:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__25474__Spirit_Mini_Sport_Glider_815mm_EPO_PNF_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ch_Mode_2_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...in_Control.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=101319 (2x)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58457__Turnigy_Accucell_6_50W_6A_Balancer_Charger_LiHV_Capable.html

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Radian

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Coxswain Balls posted:

Does anyone else get nervous when they see someone flying their sick new Phantom over a crowd?

Yes, also because the default behavior of a quad in the event of a power loss is to plummet as fast as possible. With a fixed wing or heli, a power loss means a controlled descent somewhere else, maybe, but a multirotor's only means of descending is to reduce power. In the case that it loses a rotor or more it's coming down as fast as it can. At least with an octo and some hexes they can recover usually.

Although someone oblivious with a multirotor is probably just as dangerous near people as over them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can RC helicopters really autorotate effectively? It doesn't seem like the rotor has enough mass to really pull that off.

e: well, whaddaya know. Looks like you can only do it for a few seconds, but if you time it right that's all you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq8bk8ctTE

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Coxswain Balls posted:

:canada: this is a huge no-no and if you want to be a vigilante narc that fucker out to Transport Canada.

I say again

HUGE no-no

PS Anyone who tries to tell you they have a permit to fly over a crowd like that at an event is lying. The only way to fly over/around people is if they are in on it (like they are actors in a commercial being filmed level of in on it) and the area is free of literally anyone and anything else.