Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

Boy they make so many of these things, I completely missed Weapons 1 through 9.

I think it was Grant Morrison who retconned the "X" in Weapon X to be the roman numeral 10. It turns out Wolverine was the 10th product of the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I think it was Grant Morrison who retconned the "X" in Weapon X to be the roman numeral 10. It turns out Wolverine was the 10th product of the program.

And Weapon I was Captain America.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I hate comics so loving much.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

spooky like this! posted:

And Weapon I was Captain America.

That was retroactive even in the comics though. Weapon Plus only came after WW2, they decided that Project Rebirth was totally part of it.

Probably helped at budget time. Okay sure we've created some horrific abominations and murdered 300 African American soldiers, but we made Captain America.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

KiteAuraan posted:

Why?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

KiteAuraan posted:

Here is another one:

And several more of these:

edit:
Probably not a comic book movie.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 6, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The MSJ posted:

Probably not a comic book movie.

Is this a Monkey King/Into the West movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

flosofl posted:

Is this a Monkey King/Into the West movie?

Like 40 percent of all big budget Chinese movies are in some way related to Sun Wukong.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Like 40 percent of all big budget Chinese movies are in some way related to Sun Wukong.

My guess it's some variation on the Wisely series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisely_Series

/edit: nevermind it appears to be "Kung Fu Yoga"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4217392/

quote:

Chinese archeology professor Jack (Jackie Chan) teams up with beautiful Indian professor Ashmita and assistant Kyra to locate lost Magadha treasure. In a Tibetan ice cave, they find the remains of the royal army that had vanished together with the treasure, only to be ambushed by Randall (Sonu Sood), the descendent of a rebel army leader. When they free themselves, their next stop is Dubai where a diamond from the ice cave is to be auctioned. After a series of double-crosses and revelations about their past, Jack and his team travel to a mountain temple in India, using the diamond as a key to unlock the real treasure.

G-III fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 6, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Has Jackie Chan become like Adam Sandler where he makes movies in foreign countries and treats them like paid vacations?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't he genuinely a big supporter of Chinese cinema?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He's genuinely a big supporter of China, which makes him the worst

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't he genuinely a big supporter of Chinese cinema?

Well, that is true. I should take back that comment.

...because he's been doing this for decades. "Who Am I?" (1998) takes place in more countries than your average Bond flick. Adam Sandler clearly was inspired by him instead of the other way round.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm so pumped for Valerian.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Stanley Tong, who's set to direct Kung Fu Yoga, already collaborated with Jackie Chan on earlier projects (most notably Police Story 3 and 4 and Rumble in the Bronx), and both are avid supporters of the Chinese film industry, so this project isn't that surprising.

There are also quite a few Indian-Chinese co-productions in the works currently. If they perform well, it might be the start of a long-term relationship between the two industries.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Me too!
Luc Besson makes great movies that, aside from Lucy, are dumb but supremely entertaining.
Valerian is a weird French comic and I'm really happy it's getting the movie treatment before the comic bubble pops.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Lucy ruled too.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did it? The one time I saw it I was very drunk and just wanted to watch Fifth Element.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's one of my favorite Comic Book Movies in spite of not being an adaptation, if that makes sense. It takes on the ludicrous elements of comic book action movies and just dials them up to a ridiculous level. It's over the top gaudy, loud, and dumb in a very intentional, controlled way the same way Fifth Element is, though they're pretty different movies.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Here is another one:

I want to be excited for Valerian, but I am pretty sure it'll just put me to sleep.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Besson's last comic book movie, The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc Sec, was really charming and fun, even if the CG was pretty bad and it really veered from the comics itself in terms of tone. I'll just pretend The Fifth Element was basically a Moebius comic and say that Besson should just keep making French comic book adaptations forever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Ryan Reynolds being quick to notice...

You did it, Internet.

We have to fix the hand now I just found out. Embarrassing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ryan Reynolds' outsmarts Fox again!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Superheo comics are idiot garbage that only continue to exist because they can base blockbusters on them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

kiimo posted:

You did it, Internet.

We have to fix the hand now I just found out. Embarrassing.

Is that not supposed to be his hand as a child?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Valerian is going to be such a bomb. It cost about $220,000,000.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Superheo comics are idiot garbage that only continue to exist because they can base blockbusters on them.

Boy you'll be shocked to learn about the airport novel genre

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mister Chief posted:

Valerian is going to be such a bomb. It cost about $220,000,000.

Man, I don't care if it bombs. If it's half as good as The Fifth Element it's going to be great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
If it's as quarter as good as the comics it will be loving amazing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Why hasn't Besson made a Space Adventure Cobra movie

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The MSJ posted:

In the process failing to retcon that X-23 was the 23rd product of the Weapon X program, Logan being number 1. Guess he was too busy taking a bunch of drugs and redefining the genre.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jedit posted:

In the process failing to retcon that X-23 was the 23rd product of the Weapon X program, Logan being number 1. Guess he was too busy taking a bunch of drugs and redefining the genre.

Logan was the first subject of Weapon Plus Program X, Laura was the 23rd. Like how Captain America was Weapon I and Black Captain America was Weapon I-2 (or like Weapon I-328 or something, I guess). :spergin:

The power of retcon compels you.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 7, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jedit posted:

Well, more to the point, who gives two fucks about X23.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, more to the point, who gives two fucks about X23.

Isn't she in this movie? It was also the post credit teaser in Apocalypse.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Isn't she in this movie? It was also the post credit teaser in Apocalypse.

The teaser was about Mr Sinister. X23 being in the movie wasn't really confirmed, but there were set photos showing Wolverine with a little girl walking around with a bullet hole in her shirt and bruised knuckles similar to his.

X23 is popular enough that she was introduced to the comics after her debut in a cartoon. She's also the current Wolverine after Logan died.

More posters:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is that YouTube movie about eugenics??

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is that YouTube movie about eugenics??

Standardized tests in schools of the post-apocalyptic future. So more or less the same thing.

That girl is Peyton List. Surprised there's an actual movie/TV actor in this one. Also funny that Miranda Sings is the one not on Youtube Red.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Inzombiac posted:

Did it? The one time I saw it I was very drunk and just wanted to watch Fifth Element.

It's got the dumbest loving premise which leads to the dumbest loving things happening but it has the stones to own it and for that it's kind of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010