Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I have a California Air tools 5510SE, and it's amazingly quiet. It's about as loud as a mid-80s fridge when running, and I can have a regular conversation right next to it without issues. Compared to my Harbor Freight special which would rattle the fillings out of your skull, this thing is amazing. And they're about the same price +- $40 or so.

Same model here. My garage is immediately below my toddler's bedroom and running it does not wake her up--worth every drat penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you spend the money on an aluminum tank, it'll be super light and easy to move, and not rust out. You still need to drain it, but it won't be dirty rust-sludge.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
If there any way to "rejuvenate" 18v rechargeable batteries? Mine barely hold a charge anymore and two of them are relatively new.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

vulturesrow posted:

If there any way to "rejuvenate" 18v rechargeable batteries? Mine barely hold a charge anymore and two of them are relatively new.

I believe AvE has a video about that on his channel. Can't remember the video but if you youtube search "AvE charge battery" you should get something

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

I believe AvE has a video about that on his channel. Can't remember the video but if you youtube search "AvE charge battery" you should get something

Thanks for the tip but I didn't find one on his channel. Quite possible I may have missed it due to the number of vids on his channel.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
My 25 year old random orbit sander has begun flinging bits of the pad off at high speed so I think it's time for a replacement. Does anyone have a favorite? Woodworking review scales are worse than video games where the lowest rated tool gets a 4.6 out of 5 vs a 4.9 out of 5 for the best. Unless a miracle occurs Festool is not an option.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If the sander still works just buy a new pad. They are really easy to change.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

wormil posted:

If the sander still works just buy a new pad. They are really easy to change.

At 25 years old, he might have problems finding parts for it still.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'll have to look around for parts, I think it's a porter cable from the early 90's. Is it normal for them to spin at increasingly higher speeds while off the workpiece? I find myself riding the power switch even when just flipping a board or piece over or it will just keep cranking up the rpm's.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Festool ROS sander on sale for $99

http://www.festoolproducts.com/fest...b+%2450+Voucher

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Well that's awfully tempting. I think that's the only reasonably priced Festool I've ever seen. Have to get a hole punch to fix my current sanding disks though.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Looking at getting an orbital sander to prep the walls for painting, should I bother trying to get one that will attach easily to my shopvac or is it easier to use a collection bag and just empty it often?

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill
Some of them that come with bags also have adapters for shop vacs.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Even if it doesn't come with an adapter if it uses a standard port size you can find all sorts of reducer adapters at chain hardware stores near the shop vacs.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Yeah but like is it going to be a complete pain having it attached to the shop vac? I've never had to sand walls for painting before.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Spookydonut posted:

Yeah but like is it going to be a complete pain having it attached to the shop vac? I've never had to sand walls for painting before.

It will suck less if you use an extra length of 1 1/4 vac hose.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Battered Cankles posted:

It will suck less if you use an extra length of 1 1/4 vac hose.
This. And duct tape the hose to the outlet on the sander to keep it in place so you don't rip the sander off the hose constantly.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
Make sure your shop vac has a filter that is good enough to trap the dust you're sanding off the wall. I had one with a sponge type filter and it just blew clouds of plaster dust out the exhaust until I replaced it with a better one.

Couldn't resist that Festool deal, especially once I saw that it had a pad brake on it. Takes forever for my current sander to calm down.

swampface fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2016

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

swampface posted:

Make sure your shop vac has a filter that is good enough to trap the dust you're sanding off the wall. I had one with a sponge type filter and it just blew clouds of plaster dust out the exhaust until I replaced it with a better one.

Use a filter bag plus the pleated filter in the shop vac. And if you really have a lot to do, make a cyclone separator. Your lungs will thank you.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spookydonut posted:

Looking at getting an orbital sander to prep the walls for painting, should I bother trying to get one that will attach easily to my shopvac or is it easier to use a collection bag and just empty it often?

That's a bad idea if your walls are drywall. Are your walls clad with wood?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

Get one of these.

While sanding the walls is still a pain in the rear end, it's less of a pain in the rear end with a pole sander.

I'm not certain an orbital sander is really what you want.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I assumed s/he was talking about one of these. They work well for ceilings. Just keep the pads clean and replace them often.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Brick house with plastered walls.

I also have a half face respirator which has done really well in protecting me from sawdust. It has dual filters for particulate and organic gas fumes for when I start painting.

I'm gonna need to hand sand a poo poo ton of chunks taken out of corners and patches of dented plaster after I fill them.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
A ROS is probably too aggressive for drywall sanding and the pad is probably too stiff and will dig into the wall. I bought one of these when I was drywalling my ceiling:

https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-804A-Electric-Variable-Drywall/dp/B00NDAK82E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475722420&sr=8-3&keywords=drywall+sander

and even at the slowest speed it's pretty aggressive, and will dig in despite the really soft pad.

If you're mostly sanding small bits like in your picture it would be a lot easier to hand sand. You don't have to sand much at all if you take your time with the mud application and do multiple thin coats over several days.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Is chucking this in a drill at a low speed too aggressive for drywall?

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200636987_200636987?hotline=false

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Spookydonut posted:

I also have a half face respirator which has done really well in protecting me from sawdust. It has dual filters for particulate and organic gas fumes for when I start painting.

I'm gonna need to hand sand a poo poo ton of chunks taken out of corners and patches of dented plaster after I fill them.

This post triggers me.

Stupid brick construction.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I need to sand all the walls, the paint is pretty old and flaking in places, is my 1/3 sheet sander going to be okay? No dust extraction on it though.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spookydonut posted:

I need to sand all the walls, the paint is pretty old and flaking in places, is my 1/3 sheet sander going to be okay? No dust extraction on it though.

Is it lead paint?

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Just wanna say, if you're in the US, you should buy this. I'm really jelly right now.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spookydonut posted:

If that plaster isn't breaking off in chunks, you can just patch it in with drywall mud no need to sand.

Spookydonut posted:

Don't use an electric sander, idiot. Use what the pros use, what's already been suggested- a pole block sander.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Mr. Mambold posted:

If that plaster isn't breaking off in chunks, you can just patch it in with drywall mud no need to sand.

Don't use an electric sander, idiot. Use what the pros use, what's already been suggested- a pole block sander.

Yeah I use this quick sand filler stuff, it's fiddly.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go with a pole block sander!

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Rnr posted:

Just wanna say, if you're in the US, you should buy this. I'm really jelly right now.

Same :( It's crazy to me they will ship to Hawaii but not Canada.

I live so close to the border, I really should find a way to get some items shipped to Buffalo so I can just go pick them up.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Spookydonut posted:

Yeah I use this quick sand filler stuff, it's fiddly.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go with a pole block sander!

You might have better luck with all purpose joint compound. It probably has more adhesive in it than some cheap patching stuff

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
I quit sanding drywall projects when I discovered the sponge:

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...240741918491429

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Delta midi lathe is down to $385 new on Amazon. Regular price is $600.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Otteration posted:

Wet sanding only really works for bare walls, not for touch up work, simply because it's impossible to clean it all up.

"Oh you wanted to sand that flat to the painted wall? Too bad! Now your mud is smeared all over the paint on the good part of the wall. Guess you'd better try and wipe it off with some more water... Oops, you just smeared it worse!"

gently caress you, sanding sponge.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

I've had to sand the poo poo out of old plaster after removing wallpaper and can't imagine doing it by hand. Electric is overkill on drywall and joint compound, but old plaster can be like cement.

Oh, and if I had to do it again, I would have just hired someone to do a skim coat. gently caress sanding 90 year old horsehair plaster. Guess it could have been worse, it could have been 60 year old asbestos fiber plaster.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
This thread makes me feel way loving better about my heavy asbestos exposure. We can all have a cancer party in 30 years. If the plaster didn't get you the wallpaper glue did!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Otteration posted:

I thought they took those off the market.

I had to do a hard-target search of every hardware store, building supply store, paint store and home living store in a 25-block radius to get them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stealie72 posted:

I've had to sand the poo poo out of old plaster after removing wallpaper and can't imagine doing it by hand. Electric is overkill on drywall and joint compound, but old plaster can be like cement.

Oh, and if I had to do it again, I would have just hired someone to do a skim coat.

Voila.