Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Everything starts looking rubbish eventually. Don't buy new, if you can fix it.

Also, don't be afraid of patina. A friend of mine is anxious about flying hard and subsequently crashing, because he could possibly ram it with spinning props into grass and get green poo poo all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001
I run white props and saved the broken ones from my most fun day of flying cause they had so many grass stains on them from the trees we were flying through. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everything starts looking rubbish eventually. Don't buy new, if you can fix it.

Also, don't be afraid of patina. A friend of mine is anxious about flying hard and subsequently crashing, because he could possibly ram it with spinning props into grass and get green poo poo all over it.

noooo, the grass is like a mark of accomplishment. Like sooty burned fringes on a firefighter jacket

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bring back old gbs posted:

noooo, the grass is like a mark of accomplishment. Like sooty burned fringes on a firefighter jacket

Oh yeah, even I know that grassy stains are a sign of good hard flying, same as a varied collection of broken props :v:

I wouldn't even worry about my lousy soldering job if it weren't that electricity as a whole is Strange and Foreign to me and therefore Likely To Explode Or Something

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also I just got notice that my first set of FPV goggles (the Eachine ones discussed a page or two ago) are delivered today. Odd that they got here ahead of the video transmitter and antenna but I'm not complaining, I get to try proper FPV this weekend if they show up :dance:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

BrainFPV announced availability of Betaflight 3 for the RE1 very soon. In case someone wants a nice flight controller, but doesn't agree with dRonin.

If only we could convince a dev for beta flight to give a gently caress about autotune

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

If only we could convince a dev for beta flight to give a gently caress about autotune

Betaflight default pids works out of the box for most quads.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Will I have any problems mounting my flight controller at an angle in my plane? Is it just a matter of setting the gyro / accelerometer angles in the CLI? I'm considering iNav, but will use dRonin if it's better for this purpose. The body of the plane is too small to fit a 35mm FC in the "normal" orientation.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Betaflight default pids works out of the box for most quads.
Yeah. This. To some degree, anyway.

The problem with dRonin is that it wants to support different sizes of quads (small and large), as such there need to be tame PIDs out of the box. This is planned to be fixed, where you'd chose a quad size in the vehicle setup wizard and it'd apply a bunch of decent starting PIDs. The problem however is that the autotune algorithm likes it undertuned, so good OOtB PIDs would break it.

There's going to be a new autotune in future, that doesn't rely on being undertuned (however overtuned would still break it, because wobbles make it hard to measure things). Once that's up and running, dRonin can finally be shipped with decent out of the box PIDs like Betaflight does.

The upcoming autotune will be RAM heavy, so if you're still sporting an F1 platform like the og CC3D or the Naze32, don't get your hopes up.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 6, 2016

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Eachine VR-007 update: headset is great for $50, definitely recommend it if you're just getting into FPV or need a backup. It comes with one of these 2s batteries now, which (I assume) is superior to those weird 9v lipos they had for the older version.

Also, FPV is amazing, and I can't fly acro for poo poo.

Edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Also I just got notice that my first set of FPV goggles (the Eachine ones discussed a page or two ago) are delivered today. Odd that they got here ahead of the video transmitter and antenna but I'm not complaining, I get to try proper FPV this weekend if they show up :dance:

Just saw this. :hfive: VR-007 buddy!

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 7, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ughhhhhhh the best buy 3dr solo bundle is $380 now, so I went and bought it. Need to figure out if theres been a lipo mod for it yet.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
OMFG. This proprietary battery connector bullshit is driving me loving nuts. I got the parts to build a FT Tiny Trainer and an FPV quadcopter. My plane ESC has an XT30, my 2S battery for it is JST. My VRX is a JST(Sweet Jesus a match!), oh wait, the wiring harness for the Quanums that it integrates with is an XT60, and my only XT60 battery is a 4S for the quad which will overload the monitor. :argh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah it's 100% worth standardizing on one or two connectors that you like and spending a few hours one day replacing them on all of your devices and components.

For me it's XT60 and Molex Micro-Fit all the way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Xt60 and Molex
Totally worth doing.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
http://www.banggood.com/10-Pair-Amass-XT60-Plug-Connector-With-Sheath-Housing-Male-Female-p-1005955.html

get some of these from bg or elsewhere (hobbyking has them too). You could get regular old xt60 but I used these the other day and liked the cap

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

FPV goggles are most often associated with race quads, therefore they're going with the most prevalent connector, which is the XT60.

I'm curious whether Hobbyking still sells their 3S batteries with XT30, because what the hell. Not that anyone should use 3S on a miniquad.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the 2200mah graphene 3s I bought for a friend had xt60. I've seen jst on a 3s, but only on tiny fpv packs

also the nanotechs. the larger zippys were the bigger bullet connectors.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 7, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I started out with these silly Multistar 3S ones. They're OK for coasting around, anything hard and they sag like the scrotum of a 90 year old man.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I started out with these silly Multistar 3S ones. They're OK for coasting around, anything hard and they sag like the scrotum of a 90 year old man.

I started with Multistar 4S and Nanotech 3S, both were crap after a few months.

Running HobbyKing Graphenes 4S 1500mAh 45C now. They've held up excellently, with very little voltage sag even when delivering ~100A bursts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh you have the 1500mah Graphenes. What do they actually weigh? Hobbyking lists 208gr with wires and case. What do they mean by case? (--edit: Hmm, these are the 65C, the 45C are listed with 201gr still.)

I have right now some 1500mah 4S from Multirotorparts, which are apparently rebranded Tattus. They weigh 168gr. They work OK, but they start sagging when pushing them. Always thought Tattu were great batteries, lately I keep reading that it ain't so.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Look at Joshua bardwell's battery testing videos, they are pretty good and all around the 1000 to 1800mah sizes (and have an accompanying spreadsheet)

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
The performance has been good with the ones I have, but they are noticeably heavier than other batteries. I only have 4S 1300s, but they weigh 177g, compared to 158g for Tattu or 149g for SMC True Spec.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This is all you need to know about Raceflight. What's being said after some people actually ask for evidence via Blackbox logs comparing edge vs. center gyro:

quote:

I honestly don't want to convince the entire world center gyro is better, my flight controller design will fly the best on the planet and that's all I care about.

quote:

Sorry bud, but I'm not going to spend my time trying to prove what I've already discovered.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I don't get why you guys are so obsessed with Raceflight. I mean, just don't buy/use it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeyyyy, got my transmitter and camera, and it all works. Happy times are here again :unsmith:

One question, and one I should have asked a while ago: with the battery strapped in this thing is really back-heavy, at least from my balance-it-on-my-finger test. Explains why I have to pitch forward pretty hard to take off without flipping on the back, anyway. Is this something I should try to correct, like... I dunno, with some sort of weight on the front or something, or just leave it be?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 8, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I don't get why you guys are so obsessed with Raceflight. I mean, just don't buy/use it.

It's fun having your own version of the audiophile community, except really early on so you think you can shame them into submission before bubinga spaces and bespoke 8awg xt60 connectors become a thing

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
ALL IM SAYIN IS I LIKE SLAM DUNKIN ON FAT NERDS ON FACEBOOK

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Yeyyyy, got my transmitter and camera, and it all works. Happy times are here again :unsmith:

One question, and one I should have asked a while ago: with the battery strapped in this thing is really back-heavy, at least from my balance-it-on-my-finger test. Explains why I have to pitch forward pretty hard to take off without flipping on the back, anyway. Is this something I should try to correct, like... I dunno, with some sort of weight on the front or something, or just leave it be?
Generally the battery is slung under the CG.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wouldn't that make the battery the lowest part of the vehicle on most frames? Mine certainly has no landing legs, anyway.

Bit moot though, because of the placement of the power connector and the slots in the frame there's only the one place to put the battery :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ideally, for an acro quad, the frame is designed/built in a way that the CG is on (or very near) the propeller plane when the battery's mounted. If you're just going to coast around in autolevel, CG below the prop plane (under slung battery usually).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Seems like this frame has the worst of all worlds, then--not only is it well below the propeller plane with the battery on but it's way in the back half of the quad, well behind the flight controller.

Moot right now though, I appear to have utterly bricked the thing trying to flash to the latest dRonin. I don't get why this thing is so crash happy on my Surface but fine on my desktop :sigh:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ciaphas posted:

Seems like this frame has the worst of all worlds, then--not only is it well below the propeller plane with the battery on but it's way in the back half of the quad, well behind the flight controller.

Moot right now though, I appear to have utterly bricked the thing trying to flash to the latest dRonin. I don't get why this thing is so crash happy on my Surface but fine on my desktop :sigh:

I've never used dRonin, but you can't brick a flight controller (via software update) as far as I know, there it always a set of BOOT pads you can jump to get it into recovery mode. The process is different with every firmware.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

I've never used dRonin, but you can't brick a flight controller (via software update) as far as I know, there it always a set of BOOT pads you can jump to get it into recovery mode. The process is different with every firmware.

Yeah, I just finished working that out and got it working again.

Thing doesn't want to autotune now, though, says the values were invalid because of "low pitch gain" whatever that means.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

What sort of odd frame is it that the CG will be below the prop plane with a top mounted battery?

Ciaphas posted:

If the dRonin bootloader is installed (basically any supported flight controller except the Naze32), you can click Rescue on the firmware page, then plug it in. It'll keep the board in bootloader mode for flashing. The bootloader doesn't get messed with, no matter how much flash attempts you gently caress up.

You probably have a Naze32, right?

--edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Thing doesn't want to autotune now, though, says the values were invalid because of "low pitch gain" whatever that means.
Means autotune thinks that something's wrong with the gain it calculated for the pitch axis. If your CG is offset a drat lot, as you claimed earlier, this might be the reason. Move the battery until the CG gets in a more sane position (more to the front or whatever).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 8, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

What sort of odd frame is it that the CG will be below the prop plane with a top mounted battery?

Here's a picture of the thing from side-on, if it helps orientate; the quad is facing to the right. The board the battery is butting against is the flight controller; above that is the video transmitter. The strap you can see is about the front to back center of gravity; vertically the CG is roughly even with the top half of the battery. (At least it seems balanced left-to-right...)

Combat Pretzel posted:

You probably have a Naze32, right?
CC3D... I think.

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit:

Means autotune thinks that something's wrong with the gain it calculated for the pitch axis. If your CG is offset a drat lot, as you claimed earlier, this might be the reason. Move the battery until the CG gets in a more sane position (more to the front or whatever).

There's really nowhere else I can put the battery except slung underneath, which would at least bring it forward, but then I'd be landing on the thing, which doesn't sound fantastic.

After much wailing I got Autotune to work and with a little more personal fiddling here's what I ended up with. I don't really know if these values are normal or indicative that things are kinda hosed or what, but it seems to fly more or less stable in leveling and I have good control in acro. Not that I have a basis for comparison... :shrug:

Basic page

Advanced page

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 8, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can you go into the autotune tab to the autotune setup and click Share Results on the bottom? It'll send them to Autotown, would be interesting to see the biases and betas calculated.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can you go into the autotune tab to the autotune setup and click Share Results on the bottom? It'll send them to Autotown, would be interesting to see the biases and betas calculated.

https://dronin-autotown.appspot.com/at/tune/ahFzfmRyb25pbi1hdXRvdG93bnIYCxILVHVuZVJlc3VsdHMYgICA4O7JxgkM

Notes:

- yep, motors and ESCs and props: 4. I'm smart :downs: (it's the stock stuff on the eachine racer 250 though
- I had to run a second autotune 'cos my stupid surface crashed (or dRonin crashed it, whichever) and lost my autotune values so this will differ from my screens. Feels the same to fly though
- I guess it failed to get a good yaw value, but again, felt fine to fly for the short and close time I was outside--at least once I was airborne, takeoff was always sketchy as hell
- I have no idea what any of it means

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 8, 2016

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
It looks like the VTX antenna would block centering it any better on top. Underslung batteries with no landing gear are pretty common in compact X-frames, but this frame definitely wasn't designed for it. Putting a gopro/mobius/foxeer legend on the front might balance it out. Thing is, it's just a cheap, crap frame.

Also, it looks like your propellers are on upside down? That is, the overall direction/angle is right but the airfoil is upside down. Or maybe it's an optical illusion of the angle in this particular photo... but generally the side with the brand/"5030"/etc on it should go up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are you using a throttle curve in dRonin? If not and the throttle curve is linear, holy poo poo 69% hover throttle. You have a terrible thrust to weight ratio.

Yeah, there's definitely a huge pitch bias, which is likely due to off center CG. If the quad flies fine in acro with the calculated PIDs, I'd say keep 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The board the battery is butting against is the flight controller

Don't do that. A crash will cause the battery to mash into the fc. Leave at least 1/4 to 1/2" between the 2.