Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ch3cooh posted:

It was the first 10 seconds of the match. They circled, Vagner tried to grip/punch, AJ walked away

Sounds like Vagner being an rear end in a top hat, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I first saw it on my phone but on a bigger screen it does look more like he's trying to grab a lapel. The kick is still a dick move.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I first saw it on my phone but on a bigger screen it does look more like he's trying to grab a lapel. The kick is still a dick move.

AJ has now been Stockton Slapped and kicked off the mat in competition...

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Vagner Rocha has publically apologized to the people who were sitting at the table AJ fell on.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
I was looking forward to competing in BJJ next weekend - would have been my first time - but now I've kinda messed up my hand in rolls. Having trouble making a fist, can't grip hard, and if my finger gets tweaked it hurts like a bastard for a while.

Really frustrating to have to not compete due to 'my finger really kinda hurts sometimes you guys' :smith:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Hollandia posted:

I was looking forward to competing in BJJ next weekend - would have been my first time - but now I've kinda messed up my hand in rolls. Having trouble making a fist, can't grip hard, and if my finger gets tweaked it hurts like a bastard for a while.

Really frustrating to have to not compete due to 'my finger really kinda hurts sometimes you guys' :smith:

Next weekend like a week+ away? Its probably a mild sprain, you can rest it a bit and be fine, everyone comes in to competition with injury

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Tape it up and pull guard

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
God drat, during mma class 100kg beefcake russian (maybe ukranian) dude slapping on arm triangle with 100% power as soon as he gets position. I tapped and then called him out as we stood up and said you start at 50% and then work your way up till I tap, and then he refused to roll with me after that saying 'no I'm afraid I will hurt him'. Maybe if you don't hit every submission like your life depends on it perhaps no one would ever get hurt. Fricken annoying.
I'm one of the least experienced guys there on the ground and even I know to take submissions slowly when I'm handily outweighing someone. I just feel like I'm constantly on the look out for others, making sure everyone gets a good workout in, constantly aware of my opponents weight and experience level but no one else seems to give a poo poo about any of that.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Tape it up and pull guard

This should be on a shirt.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Nierbo posted:

God drat, during mma class 100kg beefcake russian (maybe ukranian) dude slapping on arm triangle with 100% power as soon as he gets position. I tapped and then called him out as we stood up and said you start at 50% and then work your way up till I tap, and then he refused to roll with me after that saying 'no I'm afraid I will hurt him'. Maybe if you don't hit every submission like your life depends on it perhaps no one would ever get hurt. Fricken annoying.
I'm one of the least experienced guys there on the ground and even I know to take submissions slowly when I'm handily outweighing someone. I just feel like I'm constantly on the look out for others, making sure everyone gets a good workout in, constantly aware of my opponents weight and experience level but no one else seems to give a poo poo about any of that.

find a new gym

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

find a new gym

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Yeah I think I'm done with MMA for the time being. Just hit up Judo and get some guest passes for the local BJJ gyms. I find bjj guys are the most chill and respectful of all the martial arts guys and almost never have an issue teaching things even to their detriment.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What do you guys think of the new EBI rules?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/eddie-bravo-ebi-will-striking-2017/

Eddie Bravo posted:

I’m going to finish what I started with combat jiu-jitsu. We’re going to be EBI Combat Jiu-Jitsu. Imagine EBI just the way it is: 16-man jiu-jitsu tournament, same stage, everything looking the same, same 10-minute rounds with the overtimes – except when the competitors are on the ground, open palm strikes, old Pancrase style to open up the submissions, to increase the submissions even more. No punches, no MMA gloves . . . no elbows, no kicks . . . we’re going to have that in 2017.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I can dig it,can't wait to see someone slapping a guy while getting heelhooked

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
At what point will state commissions start getting involved? Normally I would assume the organization would vet this beforehand but...

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
there's probably going to be a couple of guy with big nosebleeds coming down the line.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Someone with average jiu jitsu is going to learn to stall and ko people with the open palms.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

At what point will state commissions start getting involved? Normally I would assume the organization would vet this beforehand but...

Eddie got the CSAC to sanction combat jiu jitsu a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbfngqfFwJg

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Strike-jitsu owns

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i think ebi is amazingly watchable as is.

if for some reason this gimmicky half-striking thing makes it better, cool. but i'm not hopeful tbh

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Not in favor. If I want to watch amateur mma I can already do that. I watch EBI because I like to watch no-gi grappling and he's hit upon a format that produces exciting, technical matches. Adding strikes just dilutes that, imo.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
future EBI champ Jon Jones

Also,he said this would just be an alternate event, not replacing the regular EBIs

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah sounds lame

Kekekela posted:

Also,he said this would just be an alternate event, not replacing the regular EBIs

That helps though

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

slapfight from 50/50

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

slapfight from 50/50

Post the gif someone please

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slappelling - Drug-Laced Striking Starts

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ashikan judan posted:

Not in favor. If I want to watch amateur mma I can already do that. I watch EBI because I like to watch no-gi grappling and he's hit upon a format that produces exciting, technical matches. Adding strikes just dilutes that, imo.

Yeah this. There's plenty of dudes fighting for a sandwich, making sure to keep one eye on their bindle in the corner of the octagonhexagon already to satisfy any cravings I might have to watch watered down MMA.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
On the other hand, slapping does provide the ultimate response to donkey guard.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

On the other hand, slapping does provide the ultimate response to donkey guard.

You're saying you wanna spank that rear end?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Clearly the highest expression of the art of jiu jitsu will be one competitor walking backwards bent over toward his opponent while his opponent furiously slaps his rear end.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
In other EBI news, no more kids for superfights.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Yuns posted:

Clearly the highest expression of the art of jiu jitsu will be one competitor walking backwards bent over toward his opponent while his opponent furiously slaps his rear end.

This could form the rhythm for a capoeria match on the mat next door. Full cultural emersion.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Give it up guys, they figured it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBzuPALnqXM

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

How do people like that even still exist?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I wish old Pancreas was back instead.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

lemonslol posted:

I wish old Pancreas was back instead.

I don't think you can switch back to the old one after an organ transplant.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Punching from inside guard from a vertical base. GENIUS!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I would really love to see someone try to use that rolling kicking stuff on any bjj player or wrestler.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Someone said that dumping a bit of pine-sol in the wash will help get out gi-funk, any thoughts on that? My gi isn't super stinky but I have had it 6 months now and I don't have a spare. Also any advice on stain removal (e.g. sweat stains around the lapel)? I see conflicting stuff. Apparently virtually everything is damaging to a gi but mine is a free crappy gi so I'm not too concerned about it. I always dry it on ultra low and I've had 0 problems despite people saying to always hang dry.

Lastly I want to get a cheap plain black gi as a back up are there any sites people would recommend outside of bjjhq/mmahq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

Someone said that dumping a bit of pine-sol in the wash will help get out gi-funk, any thoughts on that? My gi isn't super stinky but I have had it 6 months now and I don't have a spare. Also any advice on stain removal (e.g. sweat stains around the lapel)? I see conflicting stuff. Apparently virtually everything is damaging to a gi but mine is a free crappy gi so I'm not too concerned about it. I always dry it on ultra low and I've had 0 problems despite people saying to always hang dry.

Lastly I want to get a cheap plain black gi as a back up are there any sites people would recommend outside of bjjhq/mmahq?

soak your stuff in a three-quarter cup of white vinegar mixed with water in a bucket or something. put it in the wash an hour or two later. Not sure if it's going to take care of the stains but get's rid of the smell of gis and rashguards that still smell after coming out of the wash.