Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

My company used to do cash payouts at end of year instead of rolling 40 hours, then they paid out like 20K one year because NO ONE USED VACATION, and I sadly do not get to partake :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I technically get 2 weeks pto but it's never deducted. I took at least 5 days off this year and when I told my boss I wanted to fly home she finally looked up how many days I had left and I still had all 14.

Also no sick days because my company isn't poo poo. If you're sick stay the gently caress away from the office. Last person who tried going in sick was threatened with a firing and sent right back home.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ratbert90 posted:

Also no sick days because my company isn't poo poo. If you're sick stay the gently caress away from the office. Last person who tried going in sick was threatened with a firing and sent right back home.

Coming in while sick should be an OSHA violation. Like, not a fine for the company, a fine for the employee, and garnished wages.

(This would also if not solve at least improve the issue of companies that try to drive their employees so hard that coming in sick is the only thing they feel they can do, since "hello I'd like to introduce you to Steve. Steve is my labor lawyer" is a pretty drat big stick).

edit: I don't believe this will ever happen in the US in case that wasn't clear

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
3 years, 15 days PTO, 10 days can roll over.

We don't track sick days because my company doesn't suck dick.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Public sector in communist Denmark: 25 days vacation + 37 extra hours (one standard week), with option to get the 6th week paid out instead. Unlimited paid sick leave, and both parents have a legal right to paid maternity/paternity leave. Hours above 37 weekly are banked and can be taken off later.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

UK education sector: 36 days vacation. Sick leave is standard for UK law — first seven days is self-certify, then see a doctor; frequent or suspicious patterns can lead to intervention.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I've had that flexibility in my current and previous job, and losing it would be a deal breaker I think for any new opportunity. It's an incredibly valuable perk.

My last job I could pop in and pop out whenever, wake up and decide I'm working from home, and no one ever cared where I was or what I was doing because they knew they could email me and I'd respond. I really miss it. Hated the company though.

nielsm posted:

Public sector in communist Denmark: 25 days vacation + 37 extra hours (one standard week), with option to get the 6th week paid out instead. Unlimited paid sick leave, and both parents have a legal right to paid maternity/paternity leave. Hours above 37 weekly are banked and can be taken off later.

I would have killed for paternity leave for both my kids. Not having it guaranteed is baloney. The US does maternity leave pretty poorly too though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Our sick leave policy is that if you're sick, stay home for the day and don't infect the rest of us.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Belgium: 30 days off, not including national holidays (about 10 a year I think). If i work more than the required 37 hours in a week I can use that to get more days of as well, up to 7 a year. Obviously there's also maternal/paternal leave. Sick days aren't tracked and in fact, if I'm seriously ill and can't work my pay is still fully guaranteed for 12 months.

On the other hand, I'd probably earn much more (easily twice as much I think) if I moved to the US.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:sweden:

25 days vacation minimum, and you have a legal right to take up to 20 of those consecutively. I can bank 15 days, but that's up to the employer or collective agreement.

Some employers allow you to trade overtime pay for more vacation days which can make sense if you rarely work overtime but is a trap for most IT roles.

Unlimited sick leave, but you need a doctor's statement and a treatment plan from the 8th day. First sick day is unpaid, ~80% pay for the rest. This also goes for staying home to take care of sick children.

Parental leave is 90 days for each parent, plus 300 days that can be taken by either parent. If a parent has single custody he or she gets all 480 days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Our sick leave policy is that if you're sick, stay home for the day and don't infect the rest of us.

Same. WFH with that poo poo.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Not sure how fast it accumulates, but at present I have 270 hours of vacation and 420 hours of sick time available. I also have a flexible schedule, so if I decide to gently caress off at noon (which I think I will), I don't have to use any comp time.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Filthy Lucre posted:

Not sure how fast it accumulates, but at present I have 270 hours of vacation and 420 hours of sick time available.

This is basically every teacher I know. When my mom retired, she could have taken the last 2 years off sick if she wanted. Likewise a friend is going to get like 10 months of extra maternity leave out of hers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Unlimited" PTO and three sick days. No banking. The only time off I use is for doctor appointments or emergencies like my Dad's cancer surgery. Every time I think about taking an actual vacation I see how expensive travel is and give up.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That was the worst part about being a contractor without PTO, vacations. I had to factor in all the money I would lose just by taking a week off, it was brutal.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

This is basically every teacher I know. When my mom retired, she could have taken the last 2 years off sick if she wanted. Likewise a friend is going to get like 10 months of extra maternity leave out of hers.

Did they cash that two years out or was it lost when she retired?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

"Unlimited" PTO and three sick days. No banking. The only time off I use is for doctor appointments or emergencies like my Dad's cancer surgery. Every time I think about taking an actual vacation I see how expensive travel is and give up.

Staycations are a thing you know.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Where did you go for vacation?
Home
Oh, where is that?
Across town.
Huh?
I sat at home for two weeks and played with my cat.

An actual conversation I had. It's nice to just be of for 2 weeks with no plans. Something fun comes up? Go do it. Flexibility is awesome.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Please use your vacation time, goons. Don't be stupid and burnout.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please use your vacation time, goons. Don't be stupid and burnout.

I use the poo poo out of my vacation. One of the reasons I'm still with this company. My oldest kid is in school now though, limits when we can take off on a trip or vacation. Hell once in a while I just schedule a mental health day, take the day off work and sit around and watch movies or play violent video games while the house is empty. I find it nice to have some alone time in the house by myself.

Filthy Lucre posted:

Not sure how fast it accumulates, but at present I have 270 hours of vacation and 420 hours of sick time available.

My wife works somewhere where they keep vacation and sick separate. I think she gets something absurd like 18 sick days a year when you add up the bi-weekly accrual. She gets creative in using it though, she'll take the entire day off anytime something comes up that qualifies as sick time usage. Kids have 10AM Dr. appt? She takes the whole day. It's very common for folks to have 400+ hours of sick there, one lady she works with got paid her entire maternity leave which is actually pretty nice.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 14, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Same, I use every hours of my 4 weeks annually, I go over that and use my PTO bank as well. You get those vacation days for a reason, use it. Stay at home in your underwear encrust yourself in cheetos dust and raid in WoW, spend time with family or friends if you have any, travel the country/continent/world, just loving get away from work. It's not worth anything, your life is.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I've been burned out for about 15 years so I'm in my red giant phase. I'm looking forward to becoming a white dwarf!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

In the US, and I have unlimited PTO and all of the usual holidays plus a few others.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I have a good amount of vacation: 25 days not including holidays. In my department though nobody bothers with the timekeeping system or really itemizing vacation time. We all work very hard as a cohesive unit, so as long as you're pulling your weight and aren't obviously abusing the honor system we have nobody gives a poo poo how much vacation you take.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"Not sure of the ask here"

did

"What's the question?"

fall out of use or something?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
There's got to be some business seminar or something that says nounifying verbs makes you more action-oriented.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Not sure of the ask here"

did

"What's the question?"

fall out of use or something?

I hate how "ask" is being used as a noun now with the fire of a million suns. If I'm replying in email, I typically take the time to change it to "the question" in a different font and color.

This is my new hill to die on. It used to be "irregardless", but I finally had to throw in the towel seeing as it ended up in the dictionary because of usage. blah blah blah perscriptivism blah blah.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Arsten posted:

Did they cash that two years out or was it lost when she retired?

I forget, to be honest. I don't remember her getting a massive 2 year salary windfall, so I think it was probably lost.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

flosofl posted:

I hate how "ask" is being used as a noun now with the fire of a million suns. If I'm replying in email, I typically take the time to change it to "the question" in a different font and color.

This is my new hill to die on. It used to be "irregardless", but I finally had to throw in the towel seeing as it ended up in the dictionary because of usage. blah blah blah perscriptivism blah blah.

So....what happens when ask's verb context is added to the dictionary? :ohdear:

Docjowles posted:

I forget, to be honest. I don't remember her getting a massive 2 year salary windfall, so I think it was probably lost.

That sucks. It would be nice if companies were required to pay out benefits that aren't used. At companies in the past where union workers had that in their contracts, it became a religious event in the last quarter of each year to get people to use their vacations by management.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's a vacation?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

IT IS THE BRIEF TIME BETWEEN SHIFTS AT THE HOT FUN FACTORY. BACK TO YOUR PUNISHMENT CUBE, CITIZEN.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Coming in while sick should be an OSHA violation. Like, not a fine for the company, a fine for the employee, and garnished wages.

(This would also if not solve at least improve the issue of companies that try to drive their employees so hard that coming in sick is the only thing they feel they can do, since "hello I'd like to introduce you to Steve. Steve is my labor lawyer" is a pretty drat big stick).

edit: I don't believe this will ever happen in the US in case that wasn't clear

How would punishing the employee prevent poo poo companies from making employees eat fines if they spill the beans?!?!

Austria: 25 days, unlimited sick days, bank holiday, several special occasions like taking care of sick kids/parents, moving, marriage....

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

flosofl posted:

I love this post.

Arsten posted:

So....what happens when ask's verb context is added to the dictionary? :ohdear:
That's the most fun part of language - turns out if you misuse it long enough, and people understand your meaning, then it just ends up being correct.

I am literally tearing my hair out over it.

That sentence is accurate and it is literally killing me.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody's AT&T routing just go to poo poo? I can't get calls outbound to Verizon, but inbound is OK.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Anybody's AT&T routing just go to poo poo? I can't get calls outbound to Verizon, but inbound is OK.

where are you located?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

MF_James posted:

where are you located?

New England.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

New England.

We're in the midwest and I don't think we're having any issues routing to other carriers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

http://internethealthreport.com/Main.aspx?Metric=PL

Looks like Level3 is taking a poo poo again. They had some issues last week and took down phones for a decent portion of the east coast, so I assume seeing 25% packetloss on their own network is a problem.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's the most fun part of language - turns out if you misuse it long enough, and people understand your meaning, then it just ends up being correct.

I am literally tearing my hair out over it.

That sentence is accurate and it is literally killing me.

I meant more towards flosofl's actions. Surely the rage can't build up inside forever and we'll all hear about the Mirriam-Webster corporation catching fire on the evening news. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Internet Explorer posted:

http://internethealthreport.com/Main.aspx?Metric=PL

Looks like Level3 is taking a poo poo again. They had some issues last week and took down phones for a decent portion of the east coast, so I assume seeing 25% packetloss on their own network is a problem.

I'm so happy we're in contract with them for another 17 months for our MPLS and internet access in Brisbane.

So so happy. :negative: