Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Hahaha, yes!

I think my inhibitions regarding hurting the hosts come not from the fact that they look real, but the fact that I saw Toy Story as a kid and subconsciously always wonder about the secret lives of inanimate objects that resemble living things. The poster who said earlier in the thread that they feel bad when they see Boston Dynamics abuse their robots is right on the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Spoilerz: Deez robuts gone go buck wild.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Spoilerz: Deez robuts gone go buck wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzrhArE9urs

PS: I just imagine Anthony Hopkins' voice saying "Deez robuts gone go buck wild" and I can't stop giggling.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Escape Addict posted:

Saw this image today and it really reminded me of this show, since he shares the same name as Teddy:

Teddy dies again.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

quote:

Trip report: Just got back and it kinda sucked. Some girlfriend experience rear end in a top hat beelines to Delores and you can tell he's going to camp that rear end all weekend. So while M'ladyfucker is having his first successful conversation with a woman I go find Prospector Jim and cap him on the way out of town. I grab his clothes and head to the homestead where homeboy is torn between romancing Delores and getting it wet. I creep up to the window and she's moaning and poo poo and this dude's probably questioning whether losing your virginity to a robot counts. Juuuuust when he's about to put it in her I pop up, blow her head off, and duck back under the window. He makes a sound that I can't really describe, but its a sound you only make when you lose your first love and an erection at the same time. A few minutes later he stumbles out of the house with blood on his white hat and his belt undone. He looks at me and you can tell he wants to ask wtf just happened.
Me: Thank you much Mister! Them bandits would got me if you hadn't run em off.
:reddit: -what?
Me: The bandits! They were just here, nearly had me for sure....say, I could use a quickdraw like you!
:reddit: ...

And *boom* I'm hosting, recruiting him on a quest to go find Prospector Jim's lost treasure. Dude is out of it so I pretend to glitch and start the pitch over until he decides that I am, in fact a host and walks back to town all dejected and poo poo and just starts drinking at the hotel. He goes to the bathroom. I go to work. He comes out of the bathroom and every host in the bar is loving throat-slit...except for Prospector Jim. "THANK YOU MUCH MISTER! THEM BANDITS WOULD HAVE GOT ME IF YOU HADN'T RUN EM OFF"

Anyway, long story short, if a guest hangs himself they end the cycle and give everyone a refund.

The Black Hat route is for wannabe sociopaths. A real monster is going to spend their time identifying and greifing the other guests.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Black Hat route is for wannabe sociopaths. A real monster is going to spend their time identifying and greifing the other guests.

so goons?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Phi230 posted:

so goons?

Yeah, there's a reason I don't play online games anymore.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

I have an instinctive feeling that there's some connection between the photograph that Dolores' original father found and the gun that Dolores dug up. On the most basic narrative level, they're both buried objects in the same general location, and they both are connected to significant behavior changes in the hosts that find them. On my first watch I assumed that the photograph was just something a visitor dropped by chance, but based on what we've see of Westworld, that doesn't actually make much sense. You're given custom clothes to change into before entering, and the type of things that guests could bring into the park is something Delos would want a tight control on. So who would care enough to bring a photograph into the park, but then drop it haphazardly? It's not even a wallet-sized photo. Is it decades old? Is it really there randomly, in this incredibly controlled space?

The gun itself is probably just a standard Westworld gun (or at least it uses Westworld bullets) rather than something that can harm guests. But, beyond the issue of Dolores remembering something her host character should not be able to, having a gun rather than just inhabiting the farmer's daughter role is indicative of her occurring transformation. This is too far out to speculate worth a drat, but it makes me wonder that the Man in Black is out chasing figuratively buried secrets and Dolores' farm seems to have literally buried ones. Maybe what the Man in Black thinks is a deliberate deeper level is all buried artifacts of earlier iterations, although that doesn't sound like a satisfying conclusion.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't think the mysterious, buried gun turning out to just be a regular, Delos® gun would be very exciting. We'll almost certainly see someone get blown away with it, and the Control Room is going to go :siren: CODE RED :siren:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

imagine the trolling opportunities in a place like ww

especially given the massive price of being there

guests having their immersion compromised on the "RP server", etc.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would imagine it would be like the trolling experienced on expensive golf courses: aside from the occasional rich-as-gently caress jerk who does something a bit disruptive, pretty much non-existent. The price is set to exclude anyone not wealthy, and the very wealthy aren't going to have their experience ruined by some nouveau rich rear end in a top hat.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

As far as speculation about where MiB got the initial clue, I think that his interaction with Dolores on the first night could be part of that. He's been coming there for 30 years and he knows she's been there the whole time. She's one of the "starting area" hosts, so I think it would make sense for this long, hidden quest chain to start there and slowly push further outwards. And he's seeking her out specifically to make her suffer as much as possible, just like the other hosts he gained secret info from.

It may well turn out that the only way to progress the quest is to put the hosts in so much terror or pain that their "human" software crashes and they revert to their basic programming.

Dolores was (presumably) raped and tortured. Her father was made to endure her horror. It may well be that it was Dolores' father, not herself, who held the clue to the maze, so the MiB set out to break him by dragging her out to the barn. He certainly did end up broken :(

The other guy was bled, tortured and scalped. The small child had her mother murdered in front of her. After which she became very un-childlike when giving out the information about the canyon.

Maybe the hosts honestly have no conscious idea what the maze is, which makes what he's doing to them all the more horrific. They're innocent hosts (pun intended) to the information the MiB needs and he'll do anything he has to to get at it.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

What the gently caress is that story from

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
They've already referenced that they have ways of managing the guest's paths so I imagine they wouldn't stand idly while some troll potentially ruins a possible repeat customer's experience.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow so the new episode just came out :wow:

I can't believe they killed off Ed Harris's character so early on in the show. The fact that Dolores became aware and was able to break the code protecting the guests so early on in this series is just blowing my mind. And next weeks preview shows that they are building a new park in space? What the hell is going on in this show?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Black Baby Goku posted:

I can't believe they killed off Ed Harris's character so early on in the show. The fact that Dolores became aware and was able to break the code protecting the guests so early on in this series is just blowing my mind. And next weeks preview shows that they are building a new park in space? What the hell is going on in this show?

Space themed games like Titanfall 2 and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare are coming out soon, guessing they want to cash in on that

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

It may well turn out that the only way to progress the quest is to put the hosts in so much terror or pain that their "human" software crashes and they revert to their basic programming.

Ford is the kind of guy that would program the quest so it could be completed the way that MiB is going about it, but is actually much simpler and easier if you befriend the hosts. MiB is going to find the maze filled with hippy dippy white hats.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Yeah, there's a reason I don't play online games anymore.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

Not sure if this is a fakepost or whatever, but please use spoiler tags

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

withak posted:

That line has been uttered by literally every dad in history.

I cannot remember my dad ever saying anything like it. :tinfoil:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Professor Shark posted:

It's BBG. Definite fake post.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

What the gently caress is that story from

The story is what my otherwise law-abiding socially concious brain determined was the optimal way to play WestWorld.

I didn't stop playing online games because other goons were monsters.

lifts cats over head posted:

They've already referenced that they have ways of managing the guest's paths so I imagine they wouldn't stand idly while some troll potentially ruins a possible repeat customer's experience.

Good. Gooooooood. Give me a better challenge than a scripted civil war battle. I've been promised a no consequence God mode slaughter-fest in an open world environment. That means that the real antagonist is any system preventing me from doing what I'm not "supposed" to do.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 15, 2016

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Gorilla Salad posted:

That was my take on it as well. The overwhelming fear that the MiB in resorting to is what is necessary to crash them and access their secrets without knowing the specific voice activated triggers.

I haven't really seen anything here about it and have only watched the episode once but when Maeve is hiding in the house we see an Indian going by but it is the MiB who actually comes in. I guess it could just be that he was there at the time but I wondered if maybe this scenario was something that plays out a lot and there was a combination of two different events.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Professor Shark posted:

Its Black Baby Goku, professional forums troll. Its like his goddamned job or something. You're best off ignoring everything he posts.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I think the best MMORPG analogue is Ultima Online. In addition to being one of the first, it was initially built on a concept of "no rules! " which slowly but surely gave way to "Jesus gently caress, people are terrible, we need all the rules."

It was basically High Fantasy Land but with a gimmick celebrating Virtue. Think about all the things you could imagine yourself doing (slaying a dragon, exploring a dungeon, rescuing an NPC, etc. ) You could do all that, but you were constrained by the limits of the platform andif you wanted to be bad, you were encouraged to be "bad" in systemically contemplated ways. But there was better game about. the most dangerousinteresting and emergent game of all, Man.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I haven't really seen anything here about it and have only watched the episode once but when Maeve is hiding in the house we see an Indian going by but it is the MiB who actually comes in. I guess it could just be that he was there at the time but I wondered if maybe this scenario was something that plays out a lot and there was a combination of two different events.

I agree with this. A combo of events. She is remembering it like a dream where everything is jumbled.

One thing I want to know is if the Indian was the same Indian in the new odyssey at red river

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

That was my take on it as well. The overwhelming fear that the MiB in resorting to is what is necessary to crash them and access their secrets without knowing the specific voice activated triggers.

Like somebody else said though, I get the feeling that isn't the intended way to progress into that quest. Like maybe, but it feels like MiB is trying to hack in to the new game before its actually released to the public, like those guys who released the HL2 source code early. Ford is definitely working on building something into it, and I don't think he's quite set it all up just yet, I think he's right about to. Could be wrong but that's the feeling I get.

And somebody did mention before, that maybe MiB was hanging with the Natives and saw them scalping people (based on that scene with Maeve) and that's where he first noticed the puzzle on the scalp, and that set him down the path he's on. Its a good theory. Somehow he found a clue he probably wasn't supposed to just yet.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
has episode 3 appeared on HBO go yet? I'm eagerly refreshing my illegal pirate torrenting websites

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
^^^: It should air tomorrow, right?

stoops posted:

One thing I want to know is if the Indian was the same Indian in the new odyssey at red river

I think the Odyssey indian was a new Host, since the creative director guy flew off the handle at his dong-nose. If it was an older Host there'd be no need for a new sculpt, surely?

All of those Odyssey Hosts were new, that was the whole point of the guy wanting to decommission a bunch of existing Hosts. Apparently the park can only run so many at a time, or something?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

I would imagine it would be like the trolling experienced on expensive golf courses: aside from the occasional rich-as-gently caress jerk who does something a bit disruptive, pretty much non-existent. The price is set to exclude anyone not wealthy, and the very wealthy aren't going to have their experience ruined by some nouveau rich rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMVvTl83gWg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phagxOal7_A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5u7yZiV3bI

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

"oh, it looks good on you, though" *rolls eyes*

always loved that line

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

stoops posted:

I agree with this. A combo of events. She is remembering it like a dream where everything is jumbled.

Earlier in the episode when Maeve is being adjusted by Elsie, she says "dreams are mostly memories anyway." So I assumed it was a combination of memories from whenever she was in that prairie mother role.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I kind of thought whatever MiB is doing is like the black hat path of Westworld's end game. He's kind of embodiment of someone embracing the idea that they are THE Black Hat Villain in the story or game of Westworld. Everything he's doing reminds me of Henry Fonda in "Once Upon a Time in the West," specifically this scene near the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kD54-q1uFM
It's the elaborateness of the cruelty. He's not just walking through Sweetwater (also the name of the town in OUaTitW) casually adorning that black hat persona so he can do whatever he wants like William's "friend." He revels in the suffering of the hosts rather than just their deaths, he's over the thrill of being able to shoot someone and have it "not matter," because he wants his "character" to matter in this world where all the other details matter. I mean he literally admits to wanting to be a part of it, he says he's not leaving this time. That's where I get the "end game" feeling from the stuff he's doing. When you get to that point in MMOs, that's when you kind of start to feel like your character is really doing something that matters. You're not just fighting generic wizard number three, you're fighting the guy on the cover of the expansion now.

So then for the players who choose the white hat path, the end game would have to be unlocked by embodying the Wild West Hero. There's a bit in the original movie about a wormy guest who takes over for the Sheriff, I could see it involving that and bringing all of the wanted criminals around Sweetwater to justice. Or assisting the town's Mayor in brokering a peace with the raiding Indians. And you have to deliver fitting one liners at all the right moments to unlock the next clue!

All of that is obviously rampant speculation based on a plotline that we know hardly anything about. This show just introduces a lot of really interesting ideas that are fun to entertain your brain with.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

WarLocke posted:

All of those Odyssey Hosts were new, that was the whole point of the guy wanting to decommission a bunch of existing Hosts. Apparently the park can only run so many at a time, or something?

I presume it's just more expensive to have more active hosts because it requires more monitoring and upkeep so they are only budgeted for so many.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm about a week late coming into this, but I'm curious as to how the guns work that they are unable to affect guests (I think the explanation will be different from the one in the movie). It was interesting that Harris's character was able to shoot one of his attackers even while he was hiding behind a rock wall, as if he's maybe found a way to glitch combat in the 30 years he's been there, or something. Plus, it means the hosts have to have two different directives. One of them is to never harm a living thing, so that they can't hang or stab or drown the guests, but there's also one that indicates they're allowed to shoot at guests based upon their scenarios.

There are elements of the show that remind me a bit of the non-trainwreck parts of Dollhouse. It's hard to tell yet, because the first two episodes have definitely been all about building tension, but I like where things are going. It'd be hard to go wrong with this cast and Jonah Nolan writing.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I'm about a week late coming into this, but I'm curious as to how the guns work that they are unable to affect guests (I think the explanation will be different from the one in the movie). It was interesting that Harris's character was able to shoot one of his attackers even while he was hiding behind a rock wall, as if he's maybe found a way to glitch combat in the 30 years he's been there, or something.

I think this was posted in this thread before, but this is actually based on a real gun that you can find out about here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9QIvy3T8kg

I holds 8 cartridges and a shotgun shell. The little switching motion he does on the hammer switches from the cartridges to the shell, which blasts through the wall and guy alike.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think ultimately it's just one of those things you'll have to accept without explanation but in my brain the bullets are coded in some way that it can hurt the hosts but doesn't do much/anything to Guests. Maybe the bullets trigger something in the hosts that causes their robot bodies to explode in such a way consistent with being shot.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I'm going to add a special section on how the guns work to the OP, can someone make a gif of Tesla casting a spell on a revolver?

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Ok this seriously needs to be in the OP or something.

How Guns Work in Westworld:

quote:

AX: We see that the guests can shoot the android hosts, and the hosts can’t shoot each other, but theoretically, the guests can’t shoot each other and the hosts can’t shoot the guests. Are the guns built so that they can detect human physiology as opposed to android physiology, or how does that work?

NOLAN: It’s not the guns. It’s the bullets. We thought a lot about this. In the original film, the guns won’t operate guest on guest. But we felt like the guests would want to have a more visceral experience here. So when they’re shot and it has an impact, they’re called “simunitions.” The U.S. military trains with rounds like the ones we’re talking about. There’s a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting. So it’s not entirely consequence-free for the guests.

https://www.assignmentx.com/2016/westworld-co-creator-jonathan-nolan-re-envisions-the-michael-crichton-classic-interview/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks, that's cool, and sorry for bringing up a thing that is probably mentioned once every two pages :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you watch Star Trek, you have to accept transporters and FTL travel. If you watch Westworld, you have to accept smart bullets and fleshy androids. That's how sci-fi works.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the gold package entitles you to a vest that reduces the impact. I'm curious how the bullets will feel to William.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 16, 2016

• Locked thread