Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I have tried to tell them that they can "sell" me the paper but I won't take it off the shelf and they refuse. I am not allowed to leave the paper in the shop. Walk of shame to the nearest bin every time.

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a push for Lego to end their relationship with the Daily Mail in the same way there was with Shell. The Daily Mail is at least as damaging to the world at large as Shell is, just in a more insidious way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone have that Xmen v sentinel set? I really kind of want to grab it because the minifigures are so good but it seems like a rip at $50 for less that 350 parts and the jet seems kind of weak. Really want it for the top tier 90's xmen though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
£1.70 for today's Mail, don't think I'll partake, although the Frozen set looks fun.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

veni veni veni posted:

Anyone have that Xmen v sentinel set? I really kind of want to grab it because the minifigures are so good but it seems like a rip at $50 for less that 350 parts and the jet seems kind of weak. Really want it for the top tier 90's xmen though.

I bought it over a year ago for $20 clearance at Target. It's a good set for that price, but not at $50.

ether
May 20, 2001

Another Lepin tripreport

Building the Lepin Ghostbusters HQ took a really long time without the numbered bags.
Missing pieces, 30-ish 2x2 tiles with a center stud, hands for the ghostly librarian minifig, other assorted small things. Only the 2x2's are really needed for building though.
It isn't nearly as grippy as real lego, most notable in the way the floors are detachable. (modding that to full regular connections so it becomes more playproof)
Bigger plates are fairly warped, baseplates especially. Which leads to the afformentioned gripping issues.
Minifigs are pretty good actually.
Building instructions had so many ambiguous colors. Dark-red and brown look the same. Light grey/dark blu-gray/black is lego compatible and also ambiguous as hell. Weird shades of green. Weird shades of tan bricks.

I think Lepin feels off handling/building, but only if you know it. Feels really close to lego.

I mostly bought it so the kids have a nice playhouse without me feeling the need to 'hover' so it stays complete. Pricepoint for the Lego GB HQ is way beyond childrens toy prices, but this is just right. Might feel dirty, but now we have a displaypiece which can also be played with instead of a dustcollector.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Anyone get the Lepin version of the UCS Millennium Falcon?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zero VGS posted:

I like how Apple Corps, who are making royalties on this, apparently wouldn't give Lego courtesy use of the song for their promo video, even though they already licensed it for Beatles Rock Band.

Sony/ATV has the licensing rights, not Apple.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My Lepin Tower of Orthanc has arrived this morning, I came into work early so I'll be able to get home and get stuck in that bit earlier!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

NEW MODULAR ALERT :siren:

10255 Assembly Square

Oh my god, it's beautiful. And 3 stories high! And it's basically a modular and a half?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Marmaduke! posted:

My Lepin Tower of Orthanc has arrived this morning, I came into work early so I'll be able to get home and get stuck in that bit earlier!

I got mine too. I opened the box to check the contents, but I'm gonna build it for a while. I counted 60 unnumbered bags, some with just one piece in them. At a glance I've noticed two problems. Two 2x1 bricks were poorly cast and Gandalf has a grey ninjago sensei beard. I don't really care about the beard, but the bad casting has me a little worried, I only spotted then because they were bright orange in a see of black.

deoju fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

NEW MODULAR ALERT :siren:

10255 Assembly Square

Oh my god, it's beautiful. And 3 stories high! And it's basically a modular and a half?

4000 pieces. Gonna be a $300 modular.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

4000 pieces. Gonna be a $300 modular.

It's listed on the shop at $280:

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Assembly-Square-10255?CMP=SOC-FBIG-AssemblySquareAnnouncement

Be sure to click on that. It has more pictures and shows a lot of the details.

Good price for 4002 pieces. This is a day 1 purchase for me.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Erm ok then. And I still have the bank to build...

Here's the video btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9T8bf-yw4

uXs fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 17, 2016

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
How tall is that next to the Ghostbusters Firehouse?

Man do i dare get into the modular scene?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Interestingly, it's only going to be £169.99 ($207 at current market rate) in the U.K., which makes it far cheaper to buy here than the US's $280, which works out at £229.

It's roughly the same price as the Town Hall in the UK, making it a bargain, honestly.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Jesus Christ. I was impressed with the non-swooshable Millenium Falcon back in '05 or whenever the gently caress the non-UCS monstrosity came out. The Creator Expert line is incredible with the detailing. I'm so impressed by what's come out of LEGO in that line and I wish I had the time and the money to sink into that...and for my kids to be old enough not to break daddy's pretty LEGOs or eat the pieces. :aaaaa:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, I've got the Caterham 7 and the Disney Castle sitting in boxes calling my name but I can't find the time to start :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In the time you took to post, you could have opened one of the boxes and poured the bags on a table.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

w00tazn posted:

Man do i dare get into the modular scene?

It's expensive, especially if you want to collect the old ones without going the Lepin route.

Once you have a few, though, they make for a very impressive display piece. If you can find the space for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Caterham is a really fast build, I had it done in less than two hours. Looks fantastic too, though I have complaints about the attachment of the rear lid and dashboard. The trunk should be held on with studs and the single technic pin holding the dashboard is way too flimsy.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

uXs posted:

Erm ok then. And I still have the bank to build...

Here's the video btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9T8bf-yw4

Holy gently caress those arc tiles and the brick with studs on two sides. Can't wait for those to get into more sets.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

deoju posted:

I got mine too. I opened the box to check the contents, but I'm gonna build it for a while. I counted 60 unnumbered bags, some with just one piece in them. At a glance I've noticed two problems. Two 2x1 bricks were poorly cast and Gandalf has a grey ninjago sensei beard. I don't really care about the beard, but the bad casting has me a little worried, I only spotted then because they were bright orange in a see of black.

I'm glad you counted them since I couldn't be bothered! I've got one of the long black curved side-pieces badly cast which is a shame but it's pretty good otherwise. I don't know if it's my own poor technique but I couldn't get the stairs to wedge into the red bits that stick out properly. They'll be able to rest under the doorway without the two axles anyway.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
About a week ago, Brothers Brick showcased a wearable Halo ODST helmet. It's inspired me to get back into Lego yet again, and to try to make a wearable helmet of my own. I just received my first Bricklinks shipment in over three years (holy cow is that site sharp now), 100 each of the new Mixels toeball hinge pieces. These look like they'd open up new ways to build all sort of things, not just joints for mechs, but also a project like this. Anyone happen to see any write ups on ways these new hinges can be used? I'd be especially interested to find anything about building wearable pieces.

Also, I was in Orlando for a concert, and I finally got Wall-E. Waiting until I move next month to build it. The Disney castle is very impressive in person.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

If anyone's interested in Dimensions, Target has a coupon with their Cartwheel thing (google Google Cartwheel on your phone, sign in) that's 40% off any Lego Dimensions Pack. Up to 4 items, per transaction, and it includes everything from Story Packs to Fun Packs. I grabbed the Adventure Time Team & Level packs, the Harry Potter Team pack, and the Mission Impossible Level Pack for less than $80 after tax. I'll probably go grab the Ghostbusters Story Pack tomorrow.
Add the coupon (under Electronics) to your cart, and then you'll get a scannable barcode. The checker can help you if need be. Coupon expires the 22nd, I believe.

It's currently the cheapest way to get the new content; 40% off is pretty drat good regardless.
Also, FiveBelow has all the 'season 1' Fun Packs for $5. The site looks like rear end in every browser I've tried it in, though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Pyroclastic posted:

If anyone's interested in Dimensions, Target has a coupon with their Cartwheel thing (google Google Cartwheel on your phone, sign in) that's 40% off any Lego Dimensions Pack. Up to 4 items, per transaction, and it includes everything from Story Packs to Fun Packs. I grabbed the Adventure Time Team & Level packs, the Harry Potter Team pack, and the Mission Impossible Level Pack for less than $80 after tax. I'll probably go grab the Ghostbusters Story Pack tomorrow.
Add the coupon (under Electronics) to your cart, and then you'll get a scannable barcode. The checker can help you if need be. Coupon expires the 22nd, I believe.

It's currently the cheapest way to get the new content; 40% off is pretty drat good regardless.
Also, FiveBelow has all the 'season 1' Fun Packs for $5. The site looks like rear end in every browser I've tried it in, though.

Are the Dimensions minifigs able to be used without its NFC base? Are they normal minifigs that can be assembled, or are they like the keychains, and cannot come apart? I'd love to add Adventure Time to my mining collection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They're normal minifigs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found a rad builder on deviantart and made an imgur galley of a bunch of his works pointing out a lot of various custom stuff he used to build them. Check it out for the full sizes of the below images and others, his stuff is some of the best use of Bionicle, Hero Factory, Legends of Chima and those crappy old dinosaur pieces I've ever seen.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OUD4A

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Those builds are amazing :eyepop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh poo poo my imgur post made it to the front page, I've never had that happen before :ohdear:

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I got my annual christmas lego kits in today and I gotta say - this year's freebie is a load of rear end. "24-in-1 mini kits that you can't buld at the same time."

To be honest I was hoping it'd be similar to last year where they gave you a gingerbread house.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I got my annual christmas lego kits in today and I gotta say - this year's freebie is a load of rear end. "24-in-1 mini kits that you can't buld at the same time."

To be honest I was hoping it'd be similar to last year where they gave you a gingerbread house.

They've got other Christmas stuff coming. Small ornament figure early next month, a cool-looking 'snowglobe' for Brick Friday (and apparently VIPs get early access to that on the 19th and 20th!). Doesn't look like the December calendar is available yet.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

oh poo poo my imgur post made it to the front page, I've never had that happen before :ohdear:

That your WTC?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
No, the post I linked a few posts up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

10255 Assembly Square
Surely the Jamie Hyneman minifig alone is worth the asking price.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pyroclastic posted:

They've got other Christmas stuff coming. Small ornament figure early next month, a cool-looking 'snowglobe' for Brick Friday (and apparently VIPs get early access to that on the 19th and 20th!). Doesn't look like the December calendar is available yet.

Weird the catalog said it was - the lego website said it was sold out and Amazon had them for $29.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've never used Bricklink, but is there ways to find lots full of different types of parts? Not one part type but just stuff that would work together thematically? For example I like building robots and ships so I'd be looking for gray stuff, flats weird shapes etc. Maybe someone else would want a lot of colorful stuff and accessories for modlular MOCs or whatever. If not is there somewhere decent to buy something like that?

I don't really like picking each part out I just want a bunch of parts I might want to use in the future and I don't want to buy a lot that will be 90% useless to me. it seems surprisingly hard to find anything like this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My MO is to make a wishlist of parts I wish I had while building something, finding shops that have that stuff cheap, and buy a bunch of whatever else they have that's cheap.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Maybe find a few sets in the theme you want, go to the catalog entry page for them, use the "part out" option to turn the inventories into a wanted list, then shop through the wanted list.

I just experimented with this and in less than 10 minutes I made a wanted list of 242 different pieces and figs appearing in 8 Aquanauts sets, and a store that had 202 of them.

Crap, learning this is going to cost me a lot of money...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is a good place to buy some used Legos? I'm looking to buy complete sets, with manuals. Nothing too old or special, just don't want to pay full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ebay.