Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Oh man, not-poo poo modern sci-fi with good world building? Check out The Traitor Baru Cormorant by resident goon General Battuta (a.k.a Seth Dickinson). It's brilliant.

Anything by N. K. Jemisin. I read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms recently and it's great. The Fifth Season won this year's Best Novel Hugo, if you're interested.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (Becky Chambers), if you're OK with some wackiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sakurazuka posted:

It's there any good 'pulp' SF (for want of a better description) that doesn't turn into right-wing militarism and weird sex scenes?

the only one i can think of is gun with occasional music and that depends on if you meant scifi or space scifi and what exactly you meant by pulp

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ZakAce posted:

Oh man, not-poo poo modern sci-fi with good world building? Check out The Traitor Baru Cormorant by resident goon General Battuta (a.k.a Seth Dickinson). It's brilliant.

Anything by N. K. Jemisin. I read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms recently and it's great. The Fifth Season won this year's Best Novel Hugo, if you're interested.

The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet (Becky Chambers), if you're OK with some wackiness.

Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is lots of fun, but the sequel Broken Kingdoms was so bad and cruel with its ending that it soured me on the author entirely and I haven't been back since. An entire book just to screw over a heroine twice, ugh.

Fortunately Hundred Thousand Kingdoms stands alone very well, so definitely give it a look!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
On the softer side, there's also the Vorkosigan Saga books by Lois McMaster Bujold. The series has gone a little downhill recently--it feels like she's briskly tying up all the loose ends in preparation to end the series--but many of the early and mid-series books are fun reads with decent world-building.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Fortunately Hundred Thousand Kingdoms stands alone very well, so definitely give it a look!

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms sells itself as a book about politics and intrigue, about a power struggle in the royal family in a world where the gods are slaves.

Sadly, that stuff doesn't really show up and the book is largely about the princess and the insane Murder God of Darkness making gently caress-me eyes at each other while ignoring everything interesting about the premise.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that is a metric ton of recommendations, I'm gonna to check at least some of those out, especially the things mentioned a couple times

thanks again

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Picayune posted:

On the softer side, there's also the Vorkosigan Saga books by Lois McMaster Bujold

Come on now you're making this one up

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A human heart posted:

Come on now you're making this one up
They're really good, despite the first one is a repurposed star trek fanfic.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Splicer posted:

Yikes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Splicer posted:

Do Kork and Spook kiss?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Been on a 90s trance revival kick and that got me thinking about the cheesy movie Swordfish and it's Paul Oakenfold soundtrack, alternating between sly stylishness and driving rhythm, and that got me thinking about the gritty modern realism of Ronin. Both were kickass heist flicks and I'd love a good heist read for my commute. Any recommendations? Must be available on Kindle or compatible format, or at least something I can buy and convert.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They're comedic as gently caress but Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books are pretty much solid heist after heist. Check out 'The Hot Rock' first.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vorkosigan. Dortmunder. Plempty. Tramdbis.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

MJP posted:

Been on a 90s trance revival kick and that got me thinking about the cheesy movie Swordfish and it's Paul Oakenfold soundtrack, alternating between sly stylishness and driving rhythm, and that got me thinking about the gritty modern realism of Ronin. Both were kickass heist flicks and I'd love a good heist read for my commute. Any recommendations? Must be available on Kindle or compatible format, or at least something I can buy and convert.

Nick Velvet series by Edward Hoch is good; they're a bunch of short stories about a thief for hire. You can also get a collection of all nine of Leblanc's Lupin novels for like $10 on Kindle, they're pretty decent.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sakurazuka posted:

Do Kork and Spook kiss?
Don't let this humorous piece of trivia put you off! It's a good series, the first book just never quite gelled with the rest of them and learning this explained a lot.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 21, 2016

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They're comedic as gently caress but Donald Westlake's Dortmunder books are pretty much solid heist after heist. Check out 'The Hot Rock' first.

You might also like the "Parker" novels by Richard Stark, who was actually Donald Westlake too. They don't have the comedy elements of the Dortmunder books, and Parker is a coldblooded bastard and not the most sympathetic protagonist, but they're solid.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Selachian posted:

You might also like the "Parker" novels by Richard Stark, who was actually Donald Westlake too. They don't have the comedy elements of the Dortmunder books, and Parker is a coldblooded bastard and not the most sympathetic protagonist, but they're solid.

Trivia time! 'The Hot Rock' was supposed to be a Parker book, but when Westlake was writing it, he saw that it was far too funny to be one so he rewrote it with a new protagonist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Splicer posted:

Don't let this humorous piece of trivia put you off!

I am absolutely going to let that piece of trivia put me off

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Splicer posted:

Don't let this humorous piece of trivia put you off! It's a good series,

i'm alright thanks

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
As Halloween approaches I've been of a mind to read a bit of supernatural horror, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Ghosts and zombies bore me to tears so I guess what I'm really looking for is some crunchy monster fiction. Bonus points if said it takes a deep dive on the lore of said beastie. That said, I've read fairly little horror since a brief infatuation with King in highschool and I'm open to recent titles outside my narrow parameters if there's something viscerally satisfying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
BotM suggestions for next month?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

listen to Mel Mudkiper his ideas are always good

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Russian Remoulade posted:

As Halloween approaches I've been of a mind to read a bit of supernatural horror, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Ghosts and zombies bore me to tears so I guess what I'm really looking for is some crunchy monster fiction. Bonus points if said it takes a deep dive on the lore of said beastie. That said, I've read fairly little horror since a brief infatuation with King in highschool and I'm open to recent titles outside my narrow parameters if there's something viscerally satisfying.

The Troop by Nick Cutter
The Haunted Forest Tour* by James A. Moore and Jeff Strand (Jeff Strand has a few books on kindle for under $3 and a decent variety, so I'd look further into him; I like Mandibles, the Andrew Mayhem series, but he has monster books)
The Terror by Dan Simmons
North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud
The Fifty Year Sword by Mark Z. Danielewski (Don't be fooled into purchasing this book because of the length or typography, unless you're a fan. The actual story can be read in an hour or two, so I'd visit the library.)
Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes
The New Dead is an anthology of zombie stories with a wide range of good authors, exploring all different types of zombies. As someone who is absolutely exhausted by zombies, this is still a good collection
The Boy Who Drew Monsters by Keith Donohue

Obvious Answers:
The Haunting of Hill House
I Am Legend and other stories
Haunted by C. Palahniuk
Books of Blood by Clive Barker
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
Thomas Ligotti collections
Richard Laymon (Crunchy Sleazy Monster? Crunchy Sleazy Monster)
The Ruins by Scott B. Smith

*Horror/Comedy, but FULL of monsters, very fun

edit: I added more.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

J. F. Gonzalez wrote a series of gory monster horror books that are sort of an ode to 1950s creature feature films.

They're called 'Clickers'.

They're basically about giant crab monsters that come from the sea and slaughter people.

I'd also recommend Edward Lee's City Infernal series, which is about Hell and its various denizens. They're all pretty good but I do have a soft spot for Lucifer's Lottery as its styled after Dante's Inferno with H.P. Lovecraft giving a guided tour of Hell to the winner of the 'Lottery'.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You'll want to look in to William Meikle and Michael McBride. Both do great creature features.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. It's a really good book for this time of year and it takes place on October 24th! Really digging the dream like writing too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If you have a kindle, Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts is on sale today for $2. It has been called one of the best horror novels in recent years, and I enjoyed his detective novel The Little Sleep.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I already suggested orhan pamuk, m8

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

"Hex" by Thomas Olde Huevelt. Go in as blind as possible. It's the next "house of leaves."

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz

I'm looking for an excuse to dig into it again, it's got a unique voice, has magical realism, and won the Pulitzer Prize. It's also pretty dense so it will keep people curled up and warm inside while the temperature dips. :3:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
This could be a good idea, it's been sitting in my backlog for quite a while.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Transistor Rhythm posted:

"Hex" by Thomas Olde Huevelt. Go in as blind as possible. It's the next "house of leaves."

Oh, yeah, seconding this recommendation (as well as the going in blind part).

Not sure about the HoL bit, though.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Any recommendations based on Under the Banner of Heaven? I liked everything about it, particularly the religious meditations, true crime, and history lessons. Hopefully something as engaging as Krakauer, because for all his legitimate criticisms, he isn't boring.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Any recommendations based on Under the Banner of Heaven? I liked everything about it, particularly the religious meditations, true crime, and history lessons. Hopefully something as engaging as Krakauer, because for all his legitimate criticisms, he isn't boring.

Lawrence Wright's histories of Scientology and Al Qaeda, Going Clear and Looming Tower, are exactly what you're looking for. Probably the two best contemporary non-fic books I've ever read. I find Wright even more engaging than Krakauer, and I love Krakauer's writing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Sorry this keeps happening, but for the person that wanted a horror recommendation, I mentioned The Troop, which is on sale for Kindle for $2 today.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Can someone please recommend me a good science fiction novel. To be more detailed, I am NOT looking for the star wars/star trek type with aliens and far away galaxies. I'm more interested in fiction that has principles of science (physics, astrophysics, biology) at its roots.

I just watched the movie Interstellar and the amazing Neil deGrasse Tyson series Cosmos and found both to be very interesting. In the latter, I particularly enjoyed the biographocal stories about the scientists, but I am looking for fiction not a biography.

e: No Carl Sagan as I am already aware of works by him and his wife.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 27, 2016

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

John Barnes' "Century Next Door" series. Caveat: Kaleidoscope Century gets weird.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TommyGun85 posted:

Can someone please recommend me a good science fiction novel. To be more detailed, I am NOT looking for the star wars/star trek type with aliens and far away galaxies. I'm more interested in fiction that has principles of science (physics, astrophysics, biology) at its roots.

I just watched the movie Interstellar and the amazing Neil deGrasse Tyson series Cosmos and found both to be very interesting. In the latter, I particularly enjoyed the biographocal stories about the scientists, but I am looking for fiction not a biography.

e: No Carl Sagan as I am already aware of works by him and his wife.

if you're looking for hard SF, you might want to try Alasdair Reynolds or Kim Stanley Robinson (especially KSR's "Mars" series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulvir posted:

I already suggested orhan pamuk, m8

I need titles of specific recommended works and/ or at least a sentence saying why a given rec is a good pic.