Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tony Doughnuts posted:

If you can I would run down to home Depot and just take a look at them.

Unfortunately, in spite of having several Home Depots and Lowe's to choose from, the lighting selection in store always pales in comparison to the selection online, so you can't always fondle the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Just get a couple Big rear end Lights and be done with it.

e: Whoops, I guess they made their home stuff into the Haiku division for some reason, here's the proper link: https://www.haikuhome.com/garage-light

A Big rear end Fan would be nice to have in a shop like that too.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Slugworth posted:

http://m.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain-2-pack.product.100284402.html

A slightly different model than the original popular ones (of which I picked up 2 for 20-something each a few months back), but same company, no reason to suspect any huge drop in quality.

Hmm, well a while back I got tired of waiting for them to drop again and spent more than I should have at Lowe's for a set.

Any recommendations for track lighting? I've got a dim bulb of some sort in ugly drop ceiling in a long but narrow closet that I'd like to tear out and I think track lighting would work best.

v I think I also had a different SKU bookmarked as well

metallicaeg fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 14, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

metallicaeg posted:

Haha no. I had been following those Feit sets for months and I haven't seen it drop to $30 a pop. Most of the time they're $45-50, and on the rare occasion that they drop to $40 they sell out quickly.

Currently on costco's website for $60 per 2-pack, as stated? http://www.costco.com/4%92-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain-2-pack.product.100284402.html

Or did you mean $30 for the 2-pack, because yeah, that'd be crazy.

e: Anyhow, I went and picked up four of them to give them a try. They had a whole pallet of them at the local costco, so acquiring more as needed shouldn't be a problem in the immediate future. And at that price, I can pretty much plaster the ceiling with them to get sufficient light levels.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 14, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

(Pre-edit: I hope none of that came off as too pissy. I think we just have very different baselines, and I have a high degree of confidence that if you worked in a more aggressively lit shop, you'd see the light, so to speak.) v:shobon:v

Hey, no worries! I literally just added the lights last week, and I haven't really used the workshop since then. Just sharing my experience thus far since we're doing a similar thing. But it sounds like you know what you want, so go to it! I probably will end up installing the third fixture I bought, just because that makes more sense to me than dealing with returning it. And more light is better than less light! Part of the issue for me is that I'm still working out how my workshop will actually be used, in practice. It's still full of junk from the construction process.

I bought standard flourescent fixtures and the Costco LED T8 bulbs, mostly because I wasn't certain how reliable LED bulbs are yet and figured that if necessary it'd be easier to replace a single bulb than an entire fixture. It works out to a similar cost as installing fixtures with built-in bulbs, but probably makes the installation a bit more annoying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gentlemen. :tipshat:

Sunset no longer has any power o'er me. :colbert:

This is 50% done, but I need to finish more of the ceiling first so I have a place to hang them. Was going to do 4 across each bay, but it lined up nicely at 3 across and I'll be putting lower-hanging lights over any benches along the sides anyhow, so those'll be better served that way.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A Big rear end Fan would be nice to have in a shop like that too.

I play floorball in basically a warehouse with a couple of these installed, and when they are turned on they make a noticeable difference to the trajectory of the ball through the air.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

http://i.imgur.com/ZmY80xc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NNNcSYl.jpg

This is 50% done, but I need to finish more of the ceiling first so I have a place to hang them. Was going to do 4 across each bay, but it lined up nicely at 3 across and I'll be putting lower-hanging lights over any benches along the sides anyhow, so those'll be better served that way.

That looks really nice! It's amazing what a nicely lit work space can do for productivity.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

There are, in fact, still motherfuckers who gotta ice skate up hill

Bad Munki posted:

That looks very good. How many more are you planning on adding? Just the low hangers over benches and such? If you wanted to keep everything even looking I would suggest some round lights in the corners to brighten them up a bit without washing out the area too much. Do that and I wouldn't even bother with any more of the troffers besides a low hanger

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Am I going to regret buying a used sliding drop miter saw? I have a non-slide miter saw and things are ALWAYS just slightly too big for it to cut.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Spookydonut posted:

Am I going to regret buying a used sliding drop miter saw? I have a non-slide miter saw and things are ALWAYS just slightly too big for it to cut.

I can't even imagine why anyone would choose to have a non sliding one, aside from budget or space.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OhDearGodNo posted:

I can't even imagine why anyone would choose to have a non sliding one, aside from budget or space.

I asked about this awhile back, and the consensus was that the sliding mechanism is rarely required (especially if you get a 12" saw), and it makes it considerably harder to properly calibrate the saw so that it cuts exactly where you want it to. So there are tradeoffs involved beyond just the price.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bad Munki posted:

This is beautiful, I'm quite jealous... I would do unspeakable things to have a space like that. Are those the Costco lights?

You have a thread with any more information on that garage? Just curious on stuff like price and planning. My garage is chocked full of crap and I barely have room to park my motorcycle, let alone a decent workspace.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I asked about this awhile back, and the consensus was that the sliding mechanism is rarely required (especially if you get a 12" saw), and it makes it considerably harder to properly calibrate the saw so that it cuts exactly where you want it to. So there are tradeoffs involved beyond just the price.

I can confirm that. Just last week I used my neighbor's slider miter to make a mitered square from 2x4s for a fence gate. It was really wobbly, until I added an X in the middle.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is beautiful, I'm quite jealous... I would do unspeakable things to have a space like that. Are those the Costco lights?

You have a thread with any more information on that garage? Just curious on stuff like price and planning. My garage is chocked full of crap and I barely have room to park my motorcycle, let alone a decent workspace.

They are the Costco lights, yeah. I was wary so I started with just a few, but I quickly saw that they'd do fine so I bought a bunch more. Hopefully they don't crap out on me in six months!

And no, no thread, I posted in Projects a couple time and will continue to do so, though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Same reasons I don't have a private jet, and many other things like a 30x60 shop or private army.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I've had 4 of those Costco LED lights up in my garage for about a year now and I love them, and am planning on swapping out the T12 lights in my basement when I get around to it... One of the best parts (for me at least) is that they work just as well in the cold, whereas the fluorescent bulbs take a while to warm up (or never do if it's too cold).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Not to mention that on/off cycles don't shorten the lifespan like they do fluorescents.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

OhDearGodNo posted:

I got my non-sliding one free from my father. It was a pain doing wood laminate flooring because I had to do two cuts, one from each side and spend a minute or so making sure the second cut was perfectly lined up. I have a lot more of this to do in future.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

Can anyone recommend me a decent stick welder that won't cost me a second mortgage? I have the little baby one from the horrible fright that costs like a hundred bucks but once I inevitably destroy it or it explodes on me I want to replace it with an actual welder.

E: I don't need it for anything serious just the occasional slap a peice together or fix something that's broke, but I like my options to stay open.

Ev2: I also want to get a table top drill press and machinist vice just for dicking around. I was looking at the wen 8 inch press and just the harbor freight machinist 4 inch vice. Thoughts?

Tony Doughnuts fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 19, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might as well buy the HF drill press while you're at it, save a few bucks. All those little ones are the same, just different lipstick.

I have a HF vise, 4" maybe, and it has served me fine but my needs are light duty.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Just got this guy for $25 as an open box deal at Lowes because somebody managed to lose its nut. Luckily I'm 95% positive that the one off my cordless will fit, and if not, it's a $5 replacement part.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/angle-grinders-ag40-85p-46786-p/

So excited to actually have some power in my grinder. The cordless dewalt was nice for small jobs, but went through batteries like you wouldn't believe for anything major. Wire brushing the rust off 4-5 feet of a basketball hoop's post took 3 batteries.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

stealie72 posted:

Just got this guy for $25 as an open box deal at Lowes because somebody managed to lose its nut. Luckily I'm 95% positive that the one off my cordless will fit, and if not, it's a $5 replacement part.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/angle-grinders-ag40-85p-46786-p/

So excited to actually have some power in my grinder. The cordless dewalt was nice for small jobs, but went through batteries like you wouldn't believe for anything major. Wire brushing the rust off 4-5 feet of a basketball hoop's post took 3 batteries.

Wow that's a great deal. I've been keeping my eyes out for one as well, but my store rarely marks things down significantly.

Tony Doughnuts
Aug 12, 2016

wormil posted:

Might as well buy the HF drill press while you're at it, save a few bucks. All those little ones are the same, just different lipstick.

I have a HF vise, 4" maybe, and it has served me fine but my needs are light duty.

Good point, it's a cheap small press for light duty so who cares.

The vice I'm talking about though is the one where it has adjusters in x and y axis

http://m.harborfreight.com/5-in-rugged-cast-iron-drill-press-milling-vise-69159.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent stick welder that won't cost me a second mortgage? I have the little baby one from the horrible fright that costs like a hundred bucks but once I inevitably destroy it or it explodes on me I want to replace it with an actual welder.

E: I don't need it for anything serious just the occasional slap a peice together or fix something that's broke, but I like my options to stay open.

I can't recommend a specific model, but I have an Everlast AC TIG that works wonderfully, even though the cranky old shop guys made fun of me when I got it because it's not red or blue. Runs welds just as well as the shop's Miller Diversion and cost 1/3 as much. If I were doing 100% duty cycle full power production work all week long, I'd probably get a more established brand, but that's not my use case...and honestly, I have had zero problems with this machine and have no fear of pushing it to its limit as long as I give it time to cool off.

So check out the green boxes IMO.

e: like this guy has great reviews, under $300, and it can do DC TIG (lift-start) in a pinch if you get a gas bottle and the proper torch. https://www.amazon.com/EVERLAST-PowerARC-140amp-Welder-Voltage/dp/B0081BF4JC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476923760&sr=8-1&keywords=everlast+smaw

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 20, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tony Doughnuts posted:

Good point, it's a cheap small press for light duty so who cares.

Yeah I actually meant they are literally all the same. There was an in depth review of benchtop drill presses a few years back and all the brands of 8" presses were the same machine with cosmetic differences, ditto for the 10". The only one that stood out was the Craftsman 10" because it had balanced wheels and a slightly better motor or something like that.

Also, for about the same money as that vise, there is this which I'm very curious about.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F587T3M/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There's a Bostitch pancake air compressor on sale at Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UHNM1R0

Is it worth it? I've got one that I might need to replace, but I need to see if I can fix it first. If this is a steal, I might jump at this, but if there's something comparable for not much more I'd rather wait.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

This is a little more AI related but I believe I read about it in this thread.

I just wanted to thank everyone that recommended, and add my recommendation of a bluetooth OBD2 reader

$12 and it told me the last shop I took it to was ran by a loving scam artist.

My car was running rough last winter and I took it in and got a basic tune up, plugs, filters, etc + scheduled oil change. Charged me for all new plugs, filters and oil but didn't fix the rough idle so I thought it was something else. The idle problem went away when it warmed up in the spring again and throughout the summer so it was ignored. Well starting a few weeks ago it's getting cold again and it once again idles all over the place, bouncing from 400s to up to 800 when warmed up. Got my code reader just last night and it pulls up Cylinder6 Misfire. Huh, doesn't sound terrible. Google the code and 99% of the posts are "check yer plugs/wires" yeah, figured. Never done it on a trailblazer before and after a quick youtube video I learned that the plugs are loving buried in this engine. In the act of digging to them I realize there's about 11 years worth of grime on all these 2005 bolts I'm removing. These sons a bitches never even took off the intake box to even access the plug boots. Fuckers didn't even look at the plugs.

Yeah, that's a 9 month old plug :rolleyes:

6 new plugs and she's purrin like a kitten.

Everyone, if you own a vehicle and a bluetooth phone. Get a bluetooth OBD2 reader

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I had a recurring cylinder misfire on my f150, on the cylinder furthest back towards the passenger comparment. Swapped the plugs once, swapped just that plug again later. Took me a while to figure out the real problem - water would drip down in there in the right conditions and settle around the plug, and there wasn't sufficient dialectic grease to seal it up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheDon01 posted:

Everyone, if you own a vehicle and a bluetooth phone. Get a bluetooth OBD2 reader

IIRC iPhone apps can’t interface with arbitrary bluetooth devices. You need a wi‐fi OBDII reader there.

armorer posted:

dialectic grease

I’m stealing this for philosophy discussions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Any opinions on goggles? This would be primarily for woodworking. The pair I bought most recently tend to fog up on me, which is kiiiind of a pain in the rear end.

Relatedly, opinions on combined goggle/respirator PPEs vs. buying separate devices?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TheDon01 posted:

Have you tried talking to the shop and calling them out on it? I'd love to hear about the reaction...

Just a word of caution on the Bluetooth reader, I originally bought one of the cheap 10$ ones, but it wouldn't work properly with Torque, so i picked up the BAFX one and that worked perfectly. Apparently a lot of the cheaper ones can't read CAN codes and stuff

coathat
May 21, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any opinions on goggles? This would be primarily for woodworking. The pair I bought most recently tend to fog up on me, which is kiiiind of a pain in the rear end.

Relatedly, opinions on combined goggle/respirator PPEs vs. buying separate devices?

I use these when I'm mowing and I haven't really had any problems. . https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Stealth-Goggles-Uvextreme-Anti-Fog/dp/B0001YXFFM

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

coathat posted:

I use these when I'm mowing and I haven't really had any problems. . https://www.amazon.com/Uvex-Stealth-Goggles-Uvextreme-Anti-Fog/dp/B0001YXFFM

There's also this version for nearly the same price https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9VE94 , not sure the differences, looks like just slightly more rounded style, and wider headband. I have one of these.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

coathat posted:

I have a Uvex face mask with the same anti-fog coating and I can't make it fog up even if I breath really close on purpose, like I'm going to clean a pair of glasses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Great, thanks for the recommendations!

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

peepsalot posted:

There's also this version for nearly the same price https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9VE94 , not sure the differences, looks like just slightly more rounded style, and wider headband. I have one of these.

I also have these and like them a lot. OTG stands for over <somthing> glasses. So that's the difference. Also I strongly recommend the cloth headband over the rubber one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CBJamo posted:

I also have these and like them a lot. OTG stands for over <somthing> glasses. So that's the difference. Also I strongly recommend the cloth headband over the rubber one.

Over The Glasses, as in there is enough room to wear typical prescription glasses under them. I'm learning about this stuff since I'm now and old and my eyes are starting to get bad.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Can anyone recommend me a set of sharpening stones for chisels? There's so many different grits and materials it's a bit overwhelming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Super Waffle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a set of sharpening stones for chisels? There's so many different grits and materials it's a bit overwhelming

The go-to stones for knives are Japanese water stones (well synthetic ones now a days) : chosera, king, naniwa and shaptons (among others) are varying degrees of amazing, I have shaptons and use them on my lovely Japanese chisels to get them nice and sharp.