Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Now I want to try snake or alligator egg mayo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I'm on a diet and today is a fast day. No talking of food for 24 hours.

Edit: Talking about bolk choy, goat cheese, kale, all the flowers is fine. So is radishes, peas, turnips and other gross vegetables.

Also on another note. Kale just being an inferior form of spinach. Do you think it sells on the name alone? I mean if someone said "add 4 leaves of spinach to the smoothie" people would just think it was gross. Even though kale is the same thing just with a lower nutritional value.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 19, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zephyrine posted:

I'm on a diet and today is a fast day. No talking of food for 24 hours.

Edit: Talking about bolk choy, goat cheese, kale, all the flowers is fine. So is radishes, peas, turnips and other gross vegetables.

Also on another note. Kale just being an inferior form of spinach. Do you think it sells on the name alone? I mean if someone said "add 4 leaves of spinach to the smoothie" people would just think it was gross. Even though kale is the same thing just with a lower nutritional value.

Er... this isn't really accurate. They provide more of different things. Spinach is higher in folate, while Kale is higher in several vitamins (A, C, K, B6) and minerals (Manganese, Copper, Calcium). They're both good, they're simply good in different ways.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Kale is a variant of brassica and spinach is its own entirely separate thing

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The important thing is none of them go on my In-and-Out Double Double with Strawberry milkshake and Animal fries.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol welp I dunno if this is a bug introduced in this patch or what, but dumping the tulips I just harvested into my flower chest resulted in every color of tulip stacking into a single stack of red tulips.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Pookum posted:

Now I want to try snake or alligator egg mayo

Snake/Alligator Mayo would be a good indie album name

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Summer has begun and I have a patch of Deluxe Speed-Gro Starfruit going, plenty of Coffee bushes for making that, a couple rows of Hops, and miscellany. I'm also slowly replacing the Blueberries/Strawberries I have in my greenhouse with Ancient Fruit trees. I'm just trying to get a large foothold of cash before I'm able to finish the Fish Tank next Fall. And speaking of which, I need to dedicate a couple of days to fishing up the Tilapia in the mornings.

I'm also working on maxing affection with everyone. Had a hit to that when I picked the jerkoff option in Pierre's 6-heart event, but I'll get back there. Plenty of villagers and bachelors are already maxed. Mostly fellows like Alex, Penny, Willy, and now Pierre and such are low.

It's been fun going back to this. A good distraction with all the big news coming out right now that's causing lots of anxiety.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the most automated way of making money, assuming a million in capital but not using spirit slave labor?

Rather, what pays out a lot for what amounts to be little work, assuming resources for complex infrastructure. Wine making? Gem duplication?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the most automated way of making money, assuming a million in capital but not using spirit slave labor?

Rather, what pays out a lot for what amounts to be little work, assuming resources for complex infrastructure. Wine making? Gem duplication?

I went the ancient fruit -> wine route since it's just cycling stuff into kegs and casks one day a week.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Wine making require at least a little work in harvesting crops. Gem duplication would be the lowest effort way to make money, or Truffle Pigs. You are not going to make as much money per day with gems or pigs, but you will make more money in real time if you just wake up, grabs gems, then go to bed.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
if you play as a lady and marry a man and want babies, do you get pregnant? does your sprite change? most importantly, do you lose a day of farming to poop out the baby?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Poque posted:

if you play as a lady and marry a man and want babies, do you get pregnant? does your sprite change? most importantly, do you lose a day of farming to poop out the baby?

It happens like it does in real life. A cartoon stork comes and drops the baby off in a bundle.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A couple of questions about watering / seeding:

1. If you plant a seed in already-watered soil, do you need to water it again that day?
2. Does it matter what time of day you water / plant seed?
3. Do unlucky days stunt some of your crops?

I ask because I've been seeing cases where one crop or (once) half of a given crop grew a day late, and it's impossible that they were not watered every day. I can't find definitive information anywhere, just speculation.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

sliderule posted:

A couple of questions about watering / seeding:

1. If you plant a seed in already-watered soil, do you need to water it again that day?
3. Do unlucky days stunt some of your crops?

I ask because I've been seeing cases where one crop or (once) half of a given crop grew a day late, and it's impossible that they were not watered every day. I can't find definitive information anywhere, just speculation.

Sometimes I miss a patch of dirt with fertilizer and it causes a plant to bloom late. Not sure if that is specifically your problem but I thought I would mention it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not using Speed-Gro, just basic fertilizer, which I don't think has any effect on the grow time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

sliderule posted:

I'm not using Speed-Gro, just basic fertilizer, which I don't think has any effect on the grow time.

No it doesn't. Possibly a bug or a missed watering. There are events that can screw with crops but they have cut scenes associated with them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Trast posted:

It happens like it does in real life. A cartoon stork comes and drops the baby off in a bundle.

That seems like a waste when we have the cabbage field already...

Has anyone ever done a pregnant female protagonist besides the movie Fargo?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

That seems like a waste when we have the cabbage field already...

:v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibP9PUdEmwk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You should be able to buy Stork Eggs from the traveling cart and farm babies.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rutibex posted:

You should be able to buy Stork Eggs from the traveling cart and farm babies.

Cmon, guy, we're farmers.

We'd be growing them from Cabbages.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Shane, as much as I appreciate free pizza, telling me that you basically stole a frozen pizza from your store and gifted it to me is kind of weird.

....Next time I see him I'm going to give him cookies I dug out of a trash can.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

StrixNebulosa posted:

Shane, as much as I appreciate free pizza, telling me that you basically stole a frozen pizza from your store and gifted it to me is kind of weird.

....Next time I see him I'm going to give him cookies I dug out of a trash can.

It gets weirder when he's doing it after Joja turns into a wreck.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How long does it take to go from 0 hearts to 10?

Zephyrine posted:

Wasn't this the entire premise of Juno?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Khorne posted:

Well, yeah, but Juno is a story about a pregnancy. Fargo is a crime drama where the capable cop main character also happens to be pregnant. Like, Juno isn't doing rad skate tricks while pregnant or anything, but Marge is literally solving a crime and arresting people while pregnant.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 20, 2016

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Khorne posted:

I spent a year giving people sashimi twice a week and talking to them almost every day. By the end of year 1 I had one person at 10 hearts, 2 at 8, and 2 at 6-7. If I had tried a bit better to give better gifts and track birthdays, I probably could have gotten multiple people to 10/10 by Christmas.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Khorne posted:

Through irregular gifts and talking to her a lot, I've got Maru at 10 hearts before Fall of the first year. I made certain to give her something she loved for her birthday.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Is the galaxy hammer an upgrade over the galaxy sword? 15% extra damage is nothing to sneeze at, but it takes forever to swing.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is the galaxy hammer an upgrade over the galaxy sword? 15% extra damage is nothing to sneeze at, but it takes forever to swing.

By end-game, it'll only matter if it takes one less hit to kill monsters or knockdown mummies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Thor-Stryker posted:

By end-game, it'll only matter if it takes one less hit to kill monsters or knockdown mummies.

and fwiw i don't think any of the galaxy equipment is near those break points for most monsters. you might be able to hit something with galaxy hammer + fighter -> brute, which is something like +40% over the galaxy sword with scout -> desperado.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Does it have the right click of the other clubs? If so, it's probably not bad but is a bit more cumbersome than a sword.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Finally getting serious about fishing (in year 4!). Caught the Angler shortly before the patch, and now I've added the Mutant Carp and Glacierfish to the collection.

Mind you, Glacierfish was hard enough with level 9 fishing, Fish Stew and the Trap Bobber, goodness knows what the Legend will be like.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 20, 2016

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Fishing minigames are usually pretty nice in games but I found Stardew's especially fun and cool, though apparently it isn't at all popular.
I think of all fish in the game so far, the Glacierfish probably gave me the most trouble, followed by Lava Eel and then Scorpion Carp. Lava Eel startled the poo poo out of me when I first encountered it, because I had level 4 fishing and still only using the bamboo rod, i'd just been catching regular old ocean and river fish and I decide "I wonder if I can fish in this weird red water". Turns out I could and the local residents play a mean game of Super Wiggle Worm, caught me off guard pretty bad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not a bad one as far as fishing minigames go. However, to get any appreciable amount of fish can be just mind numbing, and gets tedious at times. The tough boss fish can be fun though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think I'd mind the tough boss fish if they weren't so rare and if some of their movements weren't just outright unbeatable. Oh great, I hit the 1/25 chance of pulling in this fish instead of trash! Oh no, it instantly moved to a place that I literally couldn't have reached before the reel timer ran out even if I just held the mouse button down.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The boss fish are for rank 10 fishing with proper equipment and can only be found in specific spots, so it's not like you can't avoid them if you're not ready.

I got the legend first try. Lobster bisque and trap bobber made for a hell of a fight but I wore him down

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I ran a test and the answer to both of these questions:

sliderule posted:

is no. You can plant / water after 12 pm and plant in pre-watered soil and not interrupt the growth cycle.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not a bad one as far as fishing minigames go. However, to get any appreciable amount of fish can be just mind numbing, and gets tedious at times. The tough boss fish can be fun though.

yea this is my primary problem with the fishing minigame. i kinda feel like you should have to fight each new kind of fish a maximum of like, 5 times or whatever, and after that it's just auto-catch. it's silly to just immediately land the lunkers but i get so tired of wrestling every single loving minnow that bites my bait.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Maybe there'd be a threshold of total fish caught to where it starts to auto-catch, or the specific fish. You've caught 50 minnows, you don't have to worry about the minigame anymore.

Or after you reach that threshold there's a cutscene where Gil, the Wizard, and Willy meet with you to talk about a nasty fish monster that appeared in the mines. You go and kill the fish monster, and combine whatever he drops with a prismatic shard ala the Wizard and you're given Super-Bait. Super-Bait never runs out and auto-catches the fish and the first time you use it you get the Master Baiter achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

yea this is my primary problem with the fishing minigame. i kinda feel like you should have to fight each new kind of fish a maximum of like, 5 times or whatever, and after that it's just auto-catch. it's silly to just immediately land the lunkers but i get so tired of wrestling every single loving minnow that bites my bait.

Fishing manually is supposed to be a chill hobby. If you want to get serious about profit you need crab pots. They should let you build a fish wheels on the river map to auto-catch fish, just like crabs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0o2V9V0Xg