Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChocNitty posted:

I'm looking at getting a used Phantom 3 Standard tomorrow and the owner is going to demo it for me. What common issues should I check for?

Cracks around motor pods, any issues in dji go, any rough sounding motors or noticeable vibration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChocNitty posted:

I'm looking at getting a used Phantom 3 Standard tomorrow and the owner is going to demo it for me. What common issues should I check for?

Is it on a roof?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bring back old gbs posted:

Is it on a roof?

triggered

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I haven't flown with it yet, but my initial impression of the turnigy evolution is that it's awesome. Feels perfect in my hands. I was worried that the gimbals would feel cheap but they're actually very good, prefer them to the taranis. They have a slight dampened feel that I like. You can pinch the sticks with it too, but honestly I don't think I'll need to pinch anymore without my thumbs being so stretched out. Also the touchscreen settings interface is very simple and it took maybe a minute to get everything set up how I wanted.

The color changing LED's in the gimbals are dumb and gimmicky, but can be easily turned off.

I do wish the RX was smaller, it's like twice the size of an XSR and slightly larger than an X4R. And has a metal rf shield on the back. I think I can still fit it in the Atom once I de-pin it but it'll be close.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

n.. posted:

I haven't flown with it yet, but my initial impression of the turnigy evolution is that it's awesome. Feels perfect in my hands. I was worried that the gimbals would feel cheap but they're actually very good, prefer them to the taranis. They have a slight dampened feel that I like. You can pinch the sticks with it too, but honestly I don't think I'll need to pinch anymore without my thumbs being so stretched out. Also the touchscreen settings interface is very simple and it took maybe a minute to get everything set up how I wanted.

The color changing LED's in the gimbals are dumb and gimmicky, but can be easily turned off.

I do wish the RX was smaller, it's like twice the size of an XSR and slightly larger than an X4R. And has a metal rf shield on the back. I think I can still fit it in the Atom once I de-pin it but it'll be close.

Thanks for posting your thoughts - I'm super glad to hear that the transmitter is shaping up to be a good option! Apparently there's a FlySky micro receiver coming out on Banggood soon, so hopefully that will mitigate the receiver size issue. No telemetry, but it's tiny.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 22, 2016

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm hoping the evolution becomes the new hacker darling like the devo 7e. Being able to pop a multiTX in there to do frsky, flsky and DSMX would be sick.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Best buy just dropped the solo battery to $50 http://www.bestbuy.com/site/3dr-solo-smart-rechargeable-battery-black/5354101.p?skuId=5354101

excited to move my multispectral camera off of my inspire

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 23, 2016

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Yesterday was a success. Five Flite Test Sparrows were born. They're really hard to get the CG right on. And I think they need more dihedrial than the plans show...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Nerobro posted:

Yesterday was a success. Five Flite Test Sparrows were born. They're really hard to get the CG right on. And I think they need more dihedrial than the plans show...

What was the class on exactly? just a beginner course on flight or model making?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What was the class on exactly? just a beginner course on flight or model making?

Building someone's first r/c airplane. We built sparrows, installed power pods, hooked up ESC's and servos, tested and got control surfaces working right... then a few of us went to fly.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

How about a couple pictures:

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Nerobro posted:

How about a couple pictures:

I made a couple of FT builds a couple of years ago and having stuff you really don't care about crashing is nice (especially if you plan on having new people fly them). I think I might have to get back into it, we have a couple of events lined up next year for cub/boy scout stuff, and they would be perfect for that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They took much longer than I expected. Building "on my own" I could be done in half an hour. Building as a group, took 3-4 hours. Not counting the time to get the cheap flysky radios doing mixing properly.

When they say "they ballance perfectly with a 3s 1000mah pack" don't trust it. :-)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd also avoid pushers as beginner planes 100% of the time.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Has anyone built a flight test super bee? I'm seriously tempted to get one, wondering how they fly.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

So I bit the bullet and got a Phantom 4 off ebay. I am ready. To Spy On Girls.

The only minor problem is one of the gyroscopes reads as being in the 'good' or yellow zone on one of the diagnostic pages in the DJI app. Is this a major problem? The google research I did said it could be nothing, or the drone could randomly flip upside down in flight, or refuse to take off at all. Though it says I can reset it back to zero by calibrating the IMU on a flat surface.

E: Yes, recalibrating brings it back to normal.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 25, 2016

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

evil_bunnY posted:

I'd also avoid pushers as beginner planes 100% of the time.

I'd probably go with the "Old Fogey" or "Duster" builds personally. You can put them together and throw some paint on them and they would be pretty neat.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, my project for the winter is to develop a new mapping plane. It's a project that initially started two years ago, so I had made some of the tools back then (foam cutter, vacuum setup, etc). I hope that the lessons I've learned over the last 2 years running both the Talon and the Skywalker will help me get this off the ground (pun not intended).
The concept is an easy-to-assemble plane with the motor in the front. Pusher props are great for FPV, but at the cost of efficiency and practicality.
Both the Skywalker and Talon also suffered from still being rather bulky, even when disassembled. (removing the tailboom is not really practical on the Skywalker).
I'll develop the fuselage/tail myself, but will at least initially use wings from other planes. Initial plan was to use the Skywalker 1800 wing and I even bought a spare for that purpose a while ago, but I'm now also considering trying the Finwing Sabre wing, as it seems a bit faster and able to lift more...and seemingly fairly benign in a stall as well. (And it's prepped for flaps already).
I have already cut out the first batch of stabilators. I'll use a V-tail design for this and have initial prototypes of the mount done as well:

I have prepped for for the composite layup of the foamcores, just need to find a weekend where I'll bother as few people as possible, as the vacuum pump will run every 15 mins or so. (for 24 hours)

I then went to the local Makers Lab and got the first version of the fuselage cut out:

After seeing it in the flesh, I've already noticed a few things I need to change, but this will certainly work for the first mock-up and possibly first flight.
Next step is adding an interior 'cage' for mounting components, designing/printing a tail mount for the fuselage side and then doing a first rough assembly testing for balance.

I recently found this: http://aero.go.usu.edu/machup/ which should also greatly help getting the design in the right ballpark before I try to fly anything. The plan, (weather permitting) is to have the prototype in the air before New Years.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, my project for the winter is to develop a new mapping plane...

This is a really cool project, please keep us updated on it.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I got a little Hubson X4 107D+ a few days ago to practice FPV flight and see if I wanted to invest in something a little better for racing fun etc.

It's a cool little thing for $135 AUD and I was having a lot of fun with it.

Just let my buddy try it out for the second time and he panicked somehow and just held both sticks up till it flew super high then out of range, just wandered the neighborhood looking for the sucker but I think it's gone. He's offered to buy a new one for me and it's a sweet little drone but should I just take a step up from here and get something better?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tiny whoop. or a https://newbeedrone.com/collections/beeductrix-inductrix

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How fast do dji models devalue after an announcement of the next one? I have an inspire 1, v1 I've rode hard this summer, and was previously considering selling it for an inspire 1 pro (since the price difference between getting a x5 camera, the new mount, and new props / prop mounts was minimal or in favor of getting a brand new one), but now its pretty much confirmed they're going to be announcing the inspire 2 in 2 weeks.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

On a bit of a whim, I just ordered this.

Emachine 010 (inductrix clone) (14USD)

Which I'll swap on:
4X Chaoli CL 820 8.5x20mm Coreless Motor (bigger motors) (12 USD)
Beecore F3 flight controller (30USD)
AIO micro cam/vtx (45USD)

All but the micro cam from Banggood. Waiting on the beecore to come in stock though.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Golluk posted:

On a bit of a whim, I just ordered this.

Emachine 010 (inductrix clone) (14USD)

Which I'll swap on:
4X Chaoli CL 820 8.5x20mm Coreless Motor (bigger motors) (12 USD)
Beecore F3 flight controller (30USD)
AIO micro cam/vtx (45USD)

All but the micro cam from Banggood. Waiting on the beecore to come in stock though.

I don't think that frame will fit 8.5mm motors. The inductrix uses 6mm motors.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
theres also just a straight up tiny whoop clone available now http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Turbine-QX70-70mm-Micro-FPV-Racing-Quadcopter-BNF-Based-On-F3-EVO-Brushed-Flight-Controller-p-1095990.html

edit: but if you want to do something with 8.5mm motors, there are some other frames on banggood that will support it. and plenty on thingiverse!

edit: also f4 based brushed flight controllers are available for some reason.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 2, 2016

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

theres also just a straight up tiny whoop clone available now http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Turbine-QX70-70mm-Micro-FPV-Racing-Quadcopter-BNF-Based-On-F3-EVO-Brushed-Flight-Controller-p-1095990.html

edit: but if you want to do something with 8.5mm motors, there are some other frames on banggood that will support it. and plenty on thingiverse!

I kinda figured. Stock are 6mm diameter. I can print up replacement frames, at least once my replacement printer gets here. I just saw that clone too. Tempting, but I already have the AIO camera.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Golluk posted:

I kinda figured. Stock are 6mm diameter. I can print up replacement frames, at least once my replacement printer gets here. I just saw that clone too. Tempting, but I already have the AIO camera.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1700311

https://oscarliang.com/whoopee-micro-frame/

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I have a printed tiny whoop frame... it's something like 2x the weight of the factory frame.

It's a good bit bigger than the tiny whoop. And uses the 8.5mm motors. I suspect it's a "much better" quad. The downside being it doesn't use the eflite 1s batteries. The upside being it doesn't use the eflite 1s batteries.

The tiny whoop really does annoy me with it's 3.7v cutout voltage.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aw poo, the Turnigy Evolution doesn't have expo settings. I prefer Tx expo instead of setting it in Betaflight... Oh well, time to bench it until I they release a firmware update,

I don't "get" stick feel. I use an OrangeRX T-Six """The worst gimbals in the industry"""" according to everybody. But then you have FinalGlide and the gang on youtube talking about how great the Evolution gimbals feel, so I really expected a world of difference. There just isn't. The T-Six feels the exact same to me.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The general consensus with mini-quads is to set the expo settings on the FC, rather than the TX, which is probably why the Evolution doesn't have it.
While I use TX expo on my planes, I'll let the FC handle it on my quads.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The general consensus with mini-quads is to set the expo settings on the FC, rather than the TX, which is probably why the Evolution doesn't have it.
While I use TX expo on my planes, I'll let the FC handle it on my quads.

Most likely, but the Evolution is just a recased i6s, which shipped without expo and had it added with a firmware update. Turnigy just uses a custom slightly modified firmware so it can't be put on the Evolution.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rates and expo in betaflight have changed significantly in the past months (six months? 2.8 / 2.9)- have you tried it there lately?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I got a Spektrum DXe, both the audio and USB programming cables, and I'm really annoyed with this stupid radio. I cannot get the Android app or PC app working to program it. I found this document (PDF warning), which appears to be pretty current, and it references spektrumrc.com a bunch of times, which is currently down. My hunch is that updating the radio firmware would solve the app programming problems, but their site is down, so how can I get updated firmware?? Ugh.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well that's nice.

My tiny whoop is shutting down with the batteries at 3.9ish volts. I've ordered a new battery lead, and hopefully that'll help address this issue. And this is consistant with several batteries... so I figure it's the lead.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

My hunch is that updating the radio firmware would solve the app programming problems, but their site is down, so how can I get updated firmware?? Ugh.

Carve out half an hour. Call Horizon. They'll help you on the phone. It's free, and if ther'es something really wrong, they'll replace/fix things for you.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Looking forward to the new Dshot protocol which Joshua Bardwell covered in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxftcm3T-Vs

I can understand why analog has been use for ESC signalling up to this point, but as with SBUS/IBUS changed the way for RCV to FC comms, hopefully this should be the same for FC to ESC comms.

Combined this with BLHeliS should be fun times ahead (debugging it all no doubt!)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like the general idea of a digital protocol, it's what should have been used in a long while. I'm not sure I agree with some new pseudo-serial protocol, if we have things like CAN bus. Also, I see that they pushed it to 66KHz, and the fact that this has been posted in public, drives me up a wall because you just know people are going to want to push it that way, for no drat reason.

It's going to drive me nuts, I guess. Every time some change/improvement like that happens, people start acting like their multicopters flew like literal poo poo before that.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

You can disable the Inductrix LVC with a little bit of soldering. Obviously at your own risk, I haven't done this mod yet but i am planning to.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: also f4 based brushed flight controllers are available for some reason.
gotta have that 8K everything

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Slash posted:

You can disable the Inductrix LVC with a little bit of soldering. Obviously at your own risk, I haven't done this mod yet but i am planning to.

Same - I'm really tired of it dropping out of the air at 3.94 volts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Slash posted:

squidgee posted:

Same - I'm really tired of it dropping out of the air at 3.94 volts.

Something tells me I should do a video of it when I do it to my quad. That alone is "just about" the only documentation of that. I wonder if it's a voltage divider, the proper method might be to replace one resistor.

Does the BeeBrain do LVC? Can it do it?