Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
fedora 25 will be released on the 15th of next month, and will feature (among other things):
  • wayland by default
  • emoji typing via ibus

uh, I guess desktop linux keyboards will now have feature parity with smartphones and we can now start seeing something logical in our e-mails rather than the random, out of place J in e-mail from outlook users

poop emojis in our commit logs (I don't know how you do unicode in an xterm but) in 5, 4, three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

celeron 300a posted:

we can now start seeing something logical in our e-mails rather than the random, out of place J in e-mail from outlook users

i got this in some emails from a client (in apple mail on OS X) and i thought they were loving crazy typing J all over the place at the end of sentecnes

until i asked a friend who actually uses otulook and they explained it but still lol.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

celeron 300a posted:

uh, I guess desktop linux keyboards will now have feature parity with smartphones and we can now start seeing something logical in our e-mails rather than the random, out of place J in e-mail from outlook users

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i got this in some emails from a client (in apple mail on OS X) and i thought they were loving crazy typing J all over the place at the end of sentecnes

it'll still do that; outlook is inserting a "J" and changing the font to wingdings, but the font change isn't going to magically some through on a text/plain email because you set up an emoji keyboard

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been using fedora 25 for about 2 weeks now and have zero issues, apart from sound not working. i should compile the module, but 4.9 kernel should get into fedora soon right? right????

celeron 300a posted:

poop emojis in our commit logs (I don't know how you do unicode in an xterm but) in 5, 4, three

utf8 has worked by default in any modern terminal emulator for longer than utf8 has existed in most other OSes, just don't set your locale to something dumb

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wow why havent i been using passwordless sudo this whole time

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah ive been using root for a while now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wait yes this was a bad idea

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

yeah ive been using root for a while now

why are you using linux shaggar

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
linux is a microsoft product now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Sapozhnik posted:

As for SELinux, I really don't know what to think about it. It seems rather quaint these days, and I feel like you can just assume that your kernel is compromised the moment an attacker gets local code execution, what with there being so many local root holes. Is this actually the case? I genuinely don't know. My instinct is to say that you should compartmentalize your services using virtualization, because virtio PCI devices have a much narrower attack surface than all the myriad syscalls and api filesystems of a typical modern Linux kernel.

lol remember when i posted this and some people said very mean and hosed up things about me for saying it

oh hey look at that there's a gigantic local root hole in linux being exploited in the wild rn and all of the people foolish enough to mock my internet brand are eating crow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

*smashe through wall*

DID SOMEBODY SAY #BRANDS‽

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Truga posted:

utf8 has worked by default in any modern terminal emulator for longer than utf8 has existed in most other OSes, just don't set your locale to something dumb

I mean, there isn't like a "poop emoji" key on your fancy mx switch keyboard. The closest equivalent would be some crazy key combination or an entirely new emoji keyset

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my current linux on the desktop is an unholy combination of windows for linux subsystem and the windows version of postgres because linux windows for subsystem throws an error instead of installing postgres

works better than fedora did

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

my current linux on the desktop is an unholy combination of windows for linux subsystem and the windows version of postgres because linux windows for subsystem throws an error instead of installing postgres

works better than fedora did

the gently caress are you doing m8?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

spankmeister posted:

the gently caress are you doing m8?

running a bad app in a bad way but without having to deal with VMs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

why are you using linux shaggar

I have a few legacy linux servers. we're hoping to get rid of them soon

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Sapozhnik posted:

lol remember when i posted this and some people said very mean and hosed up things about me for saying it

oh hey look at that there's a gigantic local root hole in linux being exploited in the wild rn and all of the people foolish enough to mock my internet brand are eating crow

im glad you took the time to come back and let us know your still wrong

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
whatever nerd

HVM isolation for everything insofar as is reasonably practical, gently caress da h8ers

https://lwn.net/Articles/644675/

man whatever happened to the Clear Containers project, it looked really interesting

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

whatever nerd

HVM isolation for everything insofar as is reasonably practical, gently caress da h8ers

https://lwn.net/Articles/644675/

man whatever happened to the Clear Containers project, it looked really interesting

have you tried qubes os ?

it runs applications in totally separate Xen domains (VMs) for isolation. the window manager is integrated into the system that launches the VMs, so you don't have to gently caress with Xnest, and copy-paste works, and the window borders are color-coded for the security domain each application is in.

it's really slick to be honest

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

celeron 300a posted:

I mean, there isn't like a "poop emoji" key on your fancy mx switch keyboard. The closest equivalent would be some crazy key combination or an entirely new emoji keyset

i've been using ibus to input japanese and "emoji" for a decade now 💛

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 22, 2016

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

what is the current least worst desktop/laptop linux distribution

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Share Bear posted:

fedora

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I really cannot recommend fedora on a thinkpad. this is the worst computing experience I've had since like, the aughts

the only reason I can tolerate this poo poo every day is because it's forced me 100% into the shell.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 28, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I really cannot recommend fedora on a thinkpad. this is the worst computing experience I've had since like, the aughts

i googled it, it's u

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the only reason I can tolerate this poo poo every day is because it's forced me 100% into the shell.

sounds like ur linuxing properly then

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Share Bear posted:

mac or windows with fedora under vmware

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i use fedora on a thinkpad and it's fine

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah i think you're just holding it wrong

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

mac or windows with fedora under vmware

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Share Bear posted:

there isn't a distribution appropriate for that because Linux is for servers

on a desktop or a portable you run macOS

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

fedora's font smoothing is barf. all the fixes make it a bit better, but not up to ubuntu-level great.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Too bad ubuntu is worse at everything else than fedora

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

what is it that you do that you find better on fedora

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

i think this is where notorious bsd or whoever posts their rant

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ubuntu is great if you like using literally 4 year old software packages, with the only alternative being scouring launchpad or 3rd party sites for updates, like you were CJing a wintendo box or something

most of the world moved past that including, ironically, debian lomarf

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Truga posted:

ubuntu is great if you like using literally 4 year old software packages, with the only alternative being scouring launchpad or 3rd party sites for updates, like you were CJing a wintendo box or something

i prefer my software packages to be at least 18 years old. what are you, some kind of pedo

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Truga posted:

are you referring to LTS or whatever maybe be more ambiguous

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm sure the joke is already stale as heck but I got around to trying Linux on the Win10 desktop tonight and it seems semi-credible.

I didn't really put it through its paces but I doubt I'll ever install Cygwin again.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

id use fedora if using it didnt involve dealing with a full os update every 6 months

is a reformat still effectively required these days or is in-place update trustworthy at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Fedora has had working in place upgrades for several years now.