Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

There's a home network thread already isn't there?
Yes, here is the Home Networking Megathread, go post in that thread about cables and network closets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nitrox posted:

Fence guy, what kind of terrible city do you live in, that replacing existing fence with an exact same fence requires a permit? I mean yes, city will be happy to take your money and issue construction permit for anything, but doing what you do is the last thing L&I will ever bother to pursue. I'd go ahead and start building if I were you. It's a ship of Theseus kind of situation, you should be allowed to repair existing structure, even if it ultimately replaces 100% of it.

Oh, repairing it wouldn't need a permit, from what I can tell. Replacement may or may not. In my case it does.

If it's getting replaced with the same size, style, material, and same location, no zoning permit is needed (though a construction permit still is.) I'm changing the style slightly, and the material is going from wood to vinyl, so I need a zoning permit.

The zoning permit one is the real bitch. It takes like 3 weeks to get, because of a mandatory state-required 15 day appeal period after it gets approval.

I wish I knew why it was such a hassle, or why they can't just streamline it into one single application/permit process instead of the two slightly-related-but-technically-different permit processes they have now.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Do you mind sharing roughly where you are, so the rest of us can know to stay the hell away from there? :stare:

I mean, I live in California, home to the nanny state, and the permitting process for my workshop has been a completely sane list of "let's make sure that the structure you build isn't going to get anyone, including yourself, killed" checks.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Man, im glad I bought a house here and not permit nightmare land. Spoke with the permitting office before starting some remodeling, as long as it's not structural and the costs stay under ~$3,000 I don't even need to apply for a permit.

Old fence was sawzalled apart and burned in a heap.

Then again my neighbors across the street have a big river in their back yard and are fighting some massive erosion lately. City permits are easy, but to even touch the river they also need permits from State, Federal, and Army Corp of Engineers. Studies need to be conducted, watershed analysis, there's salmon in here too so that adds another wrinkle.

They already lost a portion of their back deck, wouldn't be surprised if their house washed away before they're allowed to put big rocks in their shoreline.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 27, 2016

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

TheDon01 posted:

Man, im glad I bought a house here and not permit nightmare land. Spoke with the permitting office before starting some remodeling, as long as it's not structural and the costs stay under ~$3,000 I don't even need to apply for a permit.

Then again my neighbors across the street have a big river in their back yard and are fighting some massive erosion lately. City permits are easy, but to even touch the river they also need permits from State, Federal, and Army Corp of Engineers. Studies need to be conducted, watershed analysis, there's salmon in here too so that adds another wrinkle.

They already lost a portion of their back deck, wouldn't be surprised if their house washed away before they're allowed to put big rocks in their shoreline.

Yeah, but... free salmon. Totally worth it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ghostnuke posted:

Yeah, but... free salmon. Totally worth it.

But then I bet you need to buy a license to fish on your own property :sun:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheDon01 posted:

People just don't seem to understand that rivers move. Like, naturally, they erode their banks and shift course all the time. Your neighbors across the street made a bad investment.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

People just don't seem to understand that rivers move. Like, naturally, they erode their banks and shift course all the time. Your neighbors across the street made a bad investment.

There's plenty that can be done to mitigate it though. Backfill, Rip-Rap, boulders, and they mainly want to move this large boulder that is causing a weird whirlpool eddy that is really undercutting their shore. The erosion can be delt with, if they were allowed to actually do any sort of shoreline maintaince.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheDon01 posted:

There's plenty that can be done to mitigate it though. Backfill, Rip-Rap, boulders, and they mainly want to move this large boulder that is causing a weird whirlpool eddy that is really undercutting their shore. The erosion can be delt with, if they were allowed to actually do any sort of shoreline maintaince.
Unfortunately legislature has to work towards the biggest idiot, and idiots can get pretty big when it comes to waterways.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I work in a car parts factory with 480vac bus bars and 100hp motors and probably tens of thousands of mechanical relays all blasting emi everywhere and all the network plant is unshielded cat5 mostly run right next to power conduit.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

shame on an IGA posted:

I work in a car parts factory with 480vac bus bars and 100hp motors and probably tens of thousands of mechanical relays all blasting emi everywhere and all the network plant is unshielded cat5 mostly run right next to power conduit.

And how's that working out for you?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Leperflesh posted:

Seriously, masses of moving water is nothing to gently caress with. My parents used to own a condo that was quite literally falling into the ocean. I wish I had a picture of it, because the back deck was concrete sheaf hanging over about a twenty foot drop into the tidal zone, as in, there used to be earth underneath it, but now the only thing holding this piece of concrete together was rebar. There used to be a road in front of the condo, that had also washed into the ocean. Despite the fact that the ocean was reclaiming the land on which this condo was built, they managed to sell it to another idiot with the vague promise that eventually there would be a sea wall in front of it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

shame on an IGA posted:

I've been out of the IT business for a long time but I thought the point of differential signals over twisted pair cables was to provide resistance to that kind of stuff

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BattleMaster posted:

I've been out of the IT business for a long time but I thought the point of differential signals over twisted pair cables was to provide resistance to that kind of stuff

It definitely helps, but if you have an environment like that shielded cable is really nice and of course fiber is the best.

I've had plenty of VoIP customers with a phone out in a machine shop, garage, etc. where the network "works fine" for the computer (read: TCP retries lost packets and it's not so slow that they care) but it's utter garbage with real-time traffic like a phone call. Check the port stats and see the error counter making like one of those fake web hit counter GIFs from the '90s, then sigh as I realize I'm going to have to explain to the customer how the fact that their email works is meaningless and the line's still poo poo.

I'm so glad media converters are relatively cheap these days. The cable run through the shop at least tends to be accessible, so a SFP for the central switch and a media converter at the far end plus a premade cable and the problem is solved for about $200.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

TheMadMilkman posted:

Could some of you home networking guys post pictures of your network closets?

The geniuses who invented my "smart home" system (i.e. patch panels inside a wall cavity) didn't provide any way to have a switch in there.

I had to hammer out an indentation in the cover, and drill a couple of 1" holes in my wardrobe solution to switch all the outlets.

I didn't bother unscrewing the cover because inside is merely patch panels for ethernet, TV and phone.

Edit: just saw the post about the derail. Fair enough. (At least mine is crappy construction?)

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 29, 2016

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Somewhere in russia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
It's not just your neighbor down the street with the cars parked on his front lawn and a collapsing pool fence who does work without permits:

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/10/28/clinton-house-renovated-without-permits-records/92878768/

quote:

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and former President Bill Clinton have been renovating a house they bought next to their Chappaqua residence without several required local permits, according to building department records.

An in-ground swimming pool at 33 Old House Lane — the 3,631-square-foot, ranch-style house the Clintons bought for $1.16 million in August — had been back-filled and covered with gravel, according to an October report from town Building Inspector William Maskiell.

Maskiell, who said he visited the home Oct. 5, after the department received a complaint about excavation done there, said as he headed to the basement to talk to the contractor, he noticed the kitchen, floors and walls appeared to have been recently renovated and new electrical fixtures were being installed in the ceiling. The person who complained was not identified.

Maskiell said he told the contractor that permits were required.

"During conversation I was told that the owners wanted to have all work done and finished by Thanksgiving and were quite adamant about it and what had started as a paint job turned into this," Maskiell's Oct. 17 inspection report said.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
Permitgate

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm fairly certain you can't change a goddamn lightbulb without a permit in NY. Only exaggerating slightly.

Edit: I would also imagine neighborhood busy bodies in Westchester County drop dimes on each other like Stasi informants.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I would imagine that during an election cycle pretty much everything a candidate does is reported to various government watchdogs in the hope that something sticks.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Had to get a new expansion tank on my hot water heater right after we moved in since the old was rotting at the fitting and it dinged on the inspection; a 2-cubic-foot piece of metal required a loving permit. I don't understand why. I really don't.

The part of Florida I live in is permit hell. Have a screen door that's NOT on an existing door? Permit. Want to put up a single storm panel on that odd-sized bathroom window? Gonna spend more on the permit than the panel. It's worse because I generally have a pretty rapid turnaround in my department at work, usually 1-1.5 months, but sometimes I have to turn a job over to our GC for permitting, which adds 2-4 weeks. Minimum. I hate municipalities.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Lime Tonics posted:

Somewhere in russia.

The opposite of this happened at my work. We installed a 24x24 Black Galaxy granite floor, which is an absolutely beautiful black granite with gold flecks in it.

Everything went well until the owner's wife went to do her business and saw the reflection of her neighbor in the floor while doing so.

We had a guy come in and etch the floor with acid, which took away the reflection.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yup. The permitting process in my city is absurd. Here's a reply I made about it in another thread:

Eh, fencing in late October or early November in VT isn't my idea of a fun time. It's cold, often rainy. Plus, I don't have a truck so I'd have to borrow one for a few weekends in a row to haul away the old fencing, bring in the new one, etc...

And there's a good amount of fence...almost 200 feet worth, so that is a LOT of trips to the waste transfer station with just my dad's little Tacoma. Or I guess rent a construction dumpster. Still more effort than I want or have time to expend.

Wow, that's just stupid and such a obvious money grab. Around here you can just put up a new fence without a permit as it would be considered a repair to pre-existing structure.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Permit costs are often a way for a local authority to make up revenue if they can't raise property taxes for some reason. Because the largest cost increases are mostly borne by developers, it tends to be quite a popular measure until people want to build and then they whinge endlessly about the red tape.

"No, the 50% hike in permit fees has nothing to do with the proposed rates rise being canned after public outcry." Yeah, right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Model/make? In my experience, with plaster, magnets are the *only* option, unless it's plaster on that chicken wire nonsense, at which point your only option is fire.

The reason why people think stud finders are useless is because every stud finder they have used is in fact useless. A neodymium magnet is a poor substitute for a proper stud finer.

Yes, they cost more money than that piece of poo poo you bought and no longer use, but there's a reason for that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is the best stud finder. Everything else is just voodoo dousing.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you aren't finding studs by banging on the wall with your fist as god intended, you're a heathen. If god intended us to use gadgets to find studs, he would have given us gadgets to find studs.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

lol if u dont have a photographic memory of the support framework of your entire building

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

The reason why people think stud finders are useless is because every stud finder they have used is in fact useless. A neodymium magnet is a poor substitute for a proper stud finer.

Yes, they cost more money than that piece of poo poo you bought and no longer use, but there's a reason for that.

Oh I don't think they're useless, I just don't have much luck with them on plaster specifically, and most reviews I've seen of higher end ones indicate the same issue. Even reviews of that model say if you're having trouble with plaster, switch it to metal mode to look for nails, which, you know, magnets are already in metal mode :)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Polio Vax Scene posted:

lol if u dont have a photographic memory of the support framework of your entire building

Photographic memories are poo poo. I took photographs at a 1:1 scale. When I need to find a stud I just tape all the photographs to the wall and hammer through where the studs are in the picture.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Photographic memories are poo poo. I took photographs at a 1:1 scale. When I need to find a stud I just tape all the photographs to the wall and hammer through where the studs are in the picture.

That sounds like a lot of extra work when you could just paint stripes on your walls where the studs are.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sounds like a lot of extra work when you could just paint stripes on your walls where the studs are.

Don't drywall, just put up plexiglass instead.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Use 5/8" artificial sapphire sheets when you need fire resistance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Has this thread taught you nothing about half assing it? You can't protect a motorcycle with only 200 pounds of concrete.

Content: So ever since we moved into this house a decade and change ago, there's been one bathroom that's always stunk. It's in the basement, and no matter what we did we could never make it smell clean. The house is kind of a mess, lots of bad old handyman fixes and so on. Last weekend, we went to replace the sink in that bathroom and found the source of the smell - an uncapped drain leading directly to the sewer. There was a foot deep six inch wide hole cut into the concrete, with no piping for the last eight inches. The drain pipe for the sink just sat on top of this, without any seal and about an inch or so of gap around it. For bonus points, the intake for the sink has two shutoff valves, both marked cold, the second of which was installed improperly and does not actually shut off at all. Both shutoff valves are pointed in different directions.

:wtc:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bad Munki posted:

Don't drywall, just put up plexiglass instead.

Just hang the drywall on the inside of the studs! If anyone asks say it a tribute to that french museum with all the ducting on the exterior.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just build your house out of 100% studs, with no gaps in between. Then you don't need drywall, and you can put a nail anywhere and it'll go into a stud.

e. Or just build your house out of one really big stud, that you hollowed out.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Log buildings are the poo poo when it comes to hanging things on the walls, no joke.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
protip:
build your house out of stones and concrete and hang your stuff anywhere you want.

Lifehack: chain yor bike to your concrete dwelling - no extra block needed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Sun Try posted:

protip:
build your house out of stones and concrete and hang your stuff anywhere you want.

Lifehack: chain yor bike to your concrete dwelling - no extra block needed!

In that case would you use a concrete anchor rated to at least 400lbs?