Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dienes posted:

CA says that if you breed slimes they have a simple 'genetics' component that controls things like color, HP, drops, etc. Its be cool to have a few different strains of crops you could breed, at least for crops like coffee that you can't buy seeds from Pierre.

I'm imagining a rose breeding system. You start with the primary colours of roses red/yellow/blue/green/black/white. Then if you plant a red rose next to a white rose (with a space in between) a pink rose will grow in the space between. You can then makes seeds from the pink rose and cross breed it with other kinds of roses to refine the colour further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watched pot never boils and all that, was wandering around picking up forage and visiting the gypsy cart and hoeing worm tiles as usual in the forest, saw an artifact pop out of the ground and was like "oh, another trilobite, toss it onto the pile of 9 others" but nope, Palm Fossil! Only five years in!

"relatively common" my rear end

edit: went to put it in the museum, accidentally clicked on another artifact when placing it down, now I'm holding that artifact and can't put it down and I appear to have softlocked my game. :suicide:

is there a way to get out of the museum menu?

edit: good, gently caress, at least worm tiles aren't random every time. I'd have uninstalled right then and there

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 3, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: went to put it in the museum, accidentally clicked on another artifact when placing it down, now I'm holding that artifact and can't put it down and I appear to have softlocked my game. :suicide:

I ran into that softlock ages ago, I'm not entirely sure what causes it. I don't know of a way out. If it makes you feel better, the game seems to seed the RNG at the start of each day, so if you reload the day and run to the same tile you got the palm fossil from it should still be there for you to recollect and try again.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Here's another fun bug! I got the stardrop from the museum, right? It goes into your inventory.

I was curious so I went to see if I could sell it. Clicking my selling box on my farm opens my menu and triggers the Stardrop cutscene! Except it's still in my inventory. And my Iridium Hoe is now gone. I ate my Iridium Hoe instead.

Then switching to the Stardrop to see if I can eat it again triggers the cutscene again, and now I have 542 energy instead of the 508 when the first cutscene triggered.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
All the merchants in this game can kiss my rear end. They're either closed on Wednesday, open too late, close too early, closed on Wednesday, or wander off from the drat register.

DO YOU KNOW HOW BUSY I AM?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wish completing the community centre let Pierre sell all seasons of seeds. "Just" being open on Wednesday doesn't cut it. (Though I do have a seed maker, I just sometimes forget if I have enough of whatever seed handy)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Captain Invictus posted:

Here's another fun bug! I got the stardrop from the museum, right? It goes into your inventory.

I was curious so I went to see if I could sell it. Clicking my selling box on my farm opens my menu and triggers the Stardrop cutscene! Except it's still in my inventory. And my Iridium Hoe is now gone. I ate my Iridium Hoe instead.

Then switching to the Stardrop to see if I can eat it again triggers the cutscene again, and now I have 542 energy instead of the 508 when the first cutscene triggered.

This happened to me too. When you wake up the next day your hoe will be back, the Mayor sneaks into your house and puts it in bed with you.

I ate my Return Scepter instead of the Hoe though.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Speaking of, I am kicking myself for not starting to buy wood earlier. So much unnecessary chopping when I had enough money to go around.

My weak link in my first game was oak resin. So I started this one by tapping every oak tree on the farm, planting 150 of them in the grass, and tapping those.

Poque posted:

the Mayor sneaks into your house and puts it in bed with you.

Stardew Valley: Child sacrifice, brainwashing, slaves, and creepy old perverts sneaking into your bedroom at night

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The fact that Pierre working Wednesdays after you finish the Community Centre is counterbalanced by Clint now taking Fridays off to go and stare at a boiler is both frustrating and hilarious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think I've visited Clint in the last year and a half ingame because there's no reason to. I cracked a shitload of geodes and don't need to anymore, and I have more metal and such than j know what to do with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Griped to my friends a ton about how much I hate hunting for the octopus as it's a morning catch when I've planted a ton of crops and want to spend my mornings watering crops and petting my ducks - and it was the first thing I caught today. I don't need this fish for anything but the collection so I can even sell it if I want. :toot:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think I've visited Clint in the last year and a half ingame because there's no reason to. I cracked a shitload of geodes and don't need to anymore, and I have more metal and such than j know what to do with.

Geodes aren't really good for much other than doing the minerals collection. Iridium is the only ore that's kind of a problem to find and that can be fixed by getting the Slime Charmer Ring and going apeshit on slimes in the skull caverns for a while.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Managed to get a gold-quality purple mushroom from the mines in time for the Luau in the first year. Free love without having to actually talk to people!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Paul.Power posted:

The fact that Pierre working Wednesdays after you finish the Community Centre is counterbalanced by Clint now taking Fridays off to go and stare at a boiler is both frustrating and hilarious.

Oh so that is were the goony gently caress was.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Poque posted:

Managed to get a gold-quality purple mushroom from the mines in time for the Luau in the first year. Free love without having to actually talk to people!

Oh, does the luau actually do something now?

Also, I just dug up a worm tile on my farm and it spit out 3 mixed seeds. That has literally never happened in my hundreds of hours of playtime, did they add multi-seed worm tiles in the patch?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just got my first iridium-quality milks

gently caress

this is too much, CA

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh, does the luau actually do something now?

Also, I just dug up a worm tile on my farm and it spit out 3 mixed seeds. That has literally never happened in my hundreds of hours of playtime, did they add multi-seed worm tiles in the patch?

The better received your item the more friendship points you get with the village as a whole

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The better received your item the more friendship points you get with the village as a whole

I used a gold-star ice pip and finished 10-hearting Jas, Marnie, Pierre and a few others in one fell swoop, thus freeing up my afternoons for the continuing friendship adventures with Sam's family and the Dwarf. (and Caroline and Gus)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

He didn't like my iridium Salmonberry. Thankfully, Pierre is the only one left to 10-heart on my file, and that's only because I screwed up his "Secret Stash" event.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

That event feels so out of place. Why was your character just rummaging in his bedroom without any prompting, anyway?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

I Said No posted:

That event feels so out of place. Why was your character just rummaging in his bedroom without any prompting, anyway?

Your character self-inserts inappropriately constantly. Hiding behind bushes, eavesdropping on personal conversations, rummaging through people's poo poo - standard RPG character stuff.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Your character is part dog.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I used a gold-star ice pip and finished 10-hearting Jas, Marnie, Pierre and a few others in one fell swoop, thus freeing up my afternoons for the continuing friendship adventures with Sam's family and the Dwarf. (and Caroline and Gus)

I had a real similar thing, except I dropped in a mutant carp, popped like 2 hearts with everyone, and got like 10 recipes in the mail the next morning

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: good, gently caress, at least worm tiles aren't random every time. I'd have uninstalled right then and there
Too late for you but for anyone else that has this bug it usually happens when you pick up something n the muesum menu and then edge scroll (not always but this is the most common trigger) always use your arrow keys.

Once triggered there only seems to be two ways to get out of it. First way is to put it back exactly where you picked up the item. This works about 50% of the time. If it doesn't you know the table on the upper right with about 4 (I think) spaces on it? Well if you have any blank spaces you're in luck because you'll be able to drop the item there.

If not your final hail mary pass is just clicking like mad and sometimes you get super lucky and it'll drop in some other blank space. The upper table though is really your best bet. All those fail you're SOL and have to reset.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I had a real similar thing, except I dropped in a mutant carp, popped like 2 hearts with everyone, and got like 10 recipes in the mail the next morning

its probably less from actual affection and more from debilitating brain damage, i mean look at the state of that loving fish

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

I Said No posted:

its probably less from actual affection and more from debilitating brain damage, i mean look at the state of that loving fish

Possible, it had also been sitting in a wooden box in the back of my house for over a year at that point

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your character self-inserts inappropriately constantly. Hiding behind bushes, eavesdropping on personal conversations, rummaging through people's poo poo - standard RPG character stuff.

It's actually a bit creepy. Marnie directly asks "why were you hiding there?" and you run away.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ewe2 posted:

It's actually a bit creepy. Marnie directly asks "why were you hiding there?" and you run away.

I wouldn't say it's so much creepy as it is kinda parodying the way the "cheapness" of the scripting in the older Harvest Moon games. It's more self-aware than trying to imply that the player character has adult behavioral problems imo

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 4, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The White Dragon posted:

I wouldn't say it's so much creepy as it is kinda parodying the way the "cheapness" of the scripting in the older Harvest Moon games. It's more self-aware than trying to imply that the player character has adult behavioral problems imo

I gave marnie corn twice a week for an entire season so that I could steal the mayor's underwear from her bedroom

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Is there a particularly optimal layout for sheds

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

And I've gotten everyone's hearts maxed out now. Now I suppose all that's left is building the obelisks and getting the rest of the cooking recipes and I'll probably be done with the game for a while. Will probably rebuy it when it comes out on consoles and try one of the other farm layouts, instead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Legs Benedict posted:

Is there a particularly optimal layout for sheds

You are using a shed, you clearly don't care about optimization anyway.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Tatsuta Age posted:

Is there even a point to making truffle oil out of iridium truffles
A tiny bit of extra money if you've got the Artisan perk. (1250 for an iridium truffle, 1491 for artisan-grade truffle oil.)
(edit: beaten to the punch by Avalerion, so I'll add that it's slightly worth your time to put normal dinosaur eggs into a mayo machine if you're an Artisan, but silver and gold star dino eggs are worth more as-is.)

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just realized just how long Journey of the Prairie King is.

How stupid, making an achievement not just for beating that, but beating it without ever dying. Gonna SAM the gently caress out of those two achievements.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Haven't played since early this year, any mods people would definitely recommend?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Greaseman posted:

Haven't played since early this year, any mods people would definitely recommend?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes and no. There's a lot of good mods, but you can install them after you've begun as you need/want them. The base game is rock-solid.

....but let's say you do want mods. Here's what I use:

SMAPI is what you use to run most of the gameplay mods. It can be tweaked so it opens through Steam so you can track playtime/achievements/screenshots/etc. Yes, it's been updated for 1.1

Then: appearance mods first, these are for immersion/appearance-stuff and don't change the base game in any big way.

Get Dressed, a mod that lets you change your appearance easily so you can put on different shirts every morning or swap hair colors or whatever.
More Hairstyles. as it says!
Overhauled Marriage Candidates - I used this to change Harvey's appearance so he doesn't look so terrible, but I left the rest of the townies alone.

Next up: convenience mods. These are borderline cheating with the time limits in this game, and some take away the element of surprise, but I added them because I have a wiki problem. Do NOT install these if you want to preserve the base game perfectly. (I'd suggest adding them in summer or fall as you want 'em, so you know what life is like without 'em.)

Look Up Anything. - The megacheat. Push F1 to know anything about anything. Hover over Garlic and it'll tell you how much it sells for, who likes it as a gift, and what recipes it goes into. Hover over Harvey and it'll tell you when his birthday is, how much he likes you, and what he wants for a gift. etc etc.
NPC Map Locations. - Tired of looking for Sebastian when he's in his bedroom again? This map shows little icons on the map so you know where everyone is all of the time. It's another cheat, and on the one hand, I miss the little hunt for townies when I wanted to give them things. On the other hand, I need more time to plant potatoes, so no, I am not spending hours looking for wherever Leah is now.
Access Chest Anywhere - Unlimited. Backpack. No more inventory management. Just build more chests and you've got 500+ inventory slots.
Horse Whistle - When you get a horse, this lets you teleport the horse to you by pushing V. It's another time saver, and I love it.

Minor tweaks:

Birthday Mail - You get a letter whenever someone has a birthday. It basically cuts out checking the calendar on Pierre's shop and helps remind you when to give pizza to someone.
Loved Labels. - It shows if you've petted your animals today or not.

There are more mods, but those start getting into turning your pet into a Pokemon or replacing your horse with a dinosaur, and they aren't essential, so to speak. Look around, there's a lot of cool stuff!

rotinaj posted:

I don't remember what page it was on, but does anyone have a link to that mod that just switches the artifacts to being Omni Geode-potential drops and all the minerals to be from Lava Geodes? I am so sick of hoeing up seeds and mud instead of artifacts, and I just want to finish the loving museum.

Mzbundifund posted:

I got the mod off the mod Nexus but it hadn't been updated for 1.1. I figured out how to update it myself though.

Here's a link to the updated mod in my dropbox. Just overwrite the file in Steam/SteamApps/common/Stardew Valley/Content/Data with this one.

You'll know it installed correctly if the tooltip for omni geodes says they contain artifacts. The mod moves all the minerals from omni geodes over to magma geodes, so you can still get all the minerals.

Standard disclaimer about don't blame me if you accidentally delete all your files etc etc etc

(Did I miss anything? I still haven't bothered to install the one that lets you harvest crops with the scythe, as I like picking things manually.)

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
As far as aesthetics go, I'm enjoying the No Yellow Soil mod but that's down to taste.

And let's not forget the all important Abigail Centaur mod.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Greaseman posted:

limp_cheese posted:

This website has some good mods and instructions about how to install them. To use most of these mods you have to download SNAPI.

Personally I would suggest this show sell price in inventory. This is a huge quality of life mod.

The time speed mod is also really helpful. Normally 10 minutes in game time is 7 seconds real time which seems really fast. The mod defaults to 14 seconds which seems way too long. Personally I use 11 seconds and that seems like a good middle ground.

This mod shows on your map NPC locations. This is something that should be in the game by default.

This mod is probably the most important one. It makes all crops to be harvested with the scythe. Once you have a huge farm and are pulling up over 100 plants at a time this mod is a HUGE lifesaver.

Those are the main ones I use.

E: Edited out broken links.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 4, 2016

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Rutibex posted:

You are using a shed, you clearly don't care about optimization anyway.

There's a big difference between "optimization" and "min-maxing", imo. I'm not interested in the latter, which would involve using Deluxe Barns instead of sheds for all my poo poo.

I just want to make sure that I can pack a decent amount of stuff into my shed, similar to how I can put fruit trees in the greenhouse (or, on a similar note, proper sprinkler placement in the greenhouse.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Legs Benedict posted:

I just want to make sure that I can pack a decent amount of stuff into my shed, similar to how I can put fruit trees in the greenhouse (or, on a similar note, proper sprinkler placement in the greenhouse.)