Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hardware is fine, but I don't live in a place that sees rain more than 12 days a year and it never snows. I do suggest an electric impact to build the trailer since all of the nuts are nylock and it would suck to spin everything together manually.

Thicker plywood is better. Add carriage bolts in the two holes on either side of the trailer near the spring mounts, it adds a lot of rigidity compared to none in place.

Repack the bearings before you put the trailer together. RTV seal the hubs on otherwise they will leak the oil that separates out from the grease you pump in. Be careful pumping too much grease in, you will blow the seals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBO4MG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are the wheel bearings you want as spares, two per wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...WMZMVWNW0FHTE72
These are the bearing seals you want, one per wheel.

Run separate ground wires for each side of the trailer.

I'm using the HF chocks, use washers on the underside to prevent pull-through. I have holes in the center that are more forward for when I'm only bringing a single bike and two sets of holes further back for when I want to bring both bikes. I just move one of the chocks when it's single bike mode, the second chock is perfect for holding my gas can.

I mounted a piece of steel on the front of the trailer, drilled holes, and put eye-hooks further out, this is needed if you want to bring two bikes and is nice for a single bike as it is much more stable.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Guys, If I buy this CRF, does the fact that it has been ridden so little mean anything in terms of its maintenance etc.?

2014 CRF250L, 345 miles
https://yubasutter.craigslist.org/bik/5852630488.html

Guy says he bought it new last year and then 'lost interest'.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
might have stale gas in the tank, but other than that it's only two years old so you're fine

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

carcinofuck posted:

Guys, If I buy this CRF, does the fact that it has been ridden so little mean anything in terms of its maintenance etc.?

2014 CRF250L, 345 miles
https://yubasutter.craigslist.org/bik/5852630488.html

nah, that new of a bike is golden unless he hosed something up

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probs needs carb cleaned.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

carcinofuck posted:

~The Honda Experience~

It's almost certainly fine. It's a honda, and that's not long enough to really mess anything up. Change the gas and probably seafoam it (to reference Z3n).

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Uh, I don't think the carb us something you really need to worry about with that bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that bike is FI, no carbs to clean

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Alright, I don't know if its an obvious choice, I've got two people offering their 2014 CRFs for exactly $4000.

Aforementioned fully stock bike w 300 miles: https://yubasutter.craigslist.org/bik/5852630488.html
3,000 miles, a few mods that sound useful and I won't have to install a lowering link: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/5842880603.html

Is there any reason I should pick the stock bike? I looked up these bikes on craigslist in 30 different cities across the US, they're all pretty similarly priced around 3.5-4k and anyway can't help that I'm in Cali, so I don't feel I'm getting shorted much.

Edit: the guy who previously only wanted trades is offering his 2013 w 3k miles for 4000 as well. https://chico.craigslist.org/mcy/5845558620.html

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 5, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Oh I didn't realize that year had swapped to FI, yeah, buy the 300 mile one.

Edit: gettin' old can't assume all dirt bikes are carbed anymore.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Z3n posted:

Oh I didn't realize that year had swapped to FI, yeah, buy the 300 mile one.

Edit: gettin' old can't assume all dirt bikes are carbed anymore.
Why not the one with the few addons? Is the difference in mileage a big deal?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

carcinofuck posted:

Why not the one with the few addons? Is the difference in mileage a big deal?

No, the higher mileage one is basically just broken in. If those mods are worth an extra $100 to you plus whatever the difference in travel is, get it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

No, the higher mileage one is basically just broken in. If those mods are worth an extra $100 to you plus whatever the difference in travel is, get it.

Yup, this. I try and avoid longer distance travel for bikes when I can, just cause you never know, but you should be fine there.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah the link alone is 140 I believe, and they're both the same price, 4000 even. Pulling the trigger tomorrow. Now to go buy a helmet...

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Planning ahead. Would going from Yamaha R3 to Daytona 675 after a year good idea? Or wait two years?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How many miles during that year?

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
No.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Whats the goal then?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Counterpoint: daytonas are awesome and fun. They're also really good at teaching you not to put your weight on your hands

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

10k on your first bike, if you're actively working on improving, building a new skill set each time you ride, and reading the usual books so you can internalize those lessons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MomJeans420 posted:

Counterpoint: daytonas are awesome and fun. They're also really good at teaching you not to put your weight on your hands

I dunno if you're talking about how they have probably the most aggressive and uncomfortable riding position outside the 2000's Ducatis or about how they will headshake all over the place if you are driving out of a corner hard on the throttle and provide much input to the bars. :v: I liked mine. It didn't like me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

-A n i m 8- posted:

Planning ahead. Would going from Yamaha R3 to Daytona 675 after a year good idea? Or wait two years?

Hahaha.
Daytona is a bike that hates you and wants to make you hurt. You're welcome to it, but please buy a GoPro and wear it at all times. For our amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qepDZAaNlns

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 5, 2016

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I dunno if you're talking about how they have probably the most aggressive and uncomfortable riding position outside the 2000's Ducatis or about how they will headshake all over the place if you are driving out of a corner hard on the throttle and provide much input to the bars. :v: I liked mine. It didn't like me.

When I first got mine I couldn't go more than 20 minutes without my wrists hurting, but on the positive side my abs are probably a lot stronger now. I was just thinking of the little day to day things, like you have too much weight on the bars, hit a bump, accidentally give it throttle, then it rockets off. I love that 2nd gear can go from 0 to 90mph, and that when a traffic situation seems sketchy I can pretty much just think "I want to be over there" and it feels like you're instantly there, but the fact that you don't even need to shift to go absurdly fast makes it really easy to get in bad situations if you aren't careful.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Honda 750 v4 magna 1984ish, shafts drive version. Anyone know anything special about those? My brother is looking at a winter project and one of those appeared locally for cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

Honda 750 v4 magna 1984ish, shafts drive version. Anyone know anything special about those? My brother is looking at a winter project and one of those appeared locally for cheap.

The carbs are violently disastrous to remove/install and they're a pain in the sack to work on in general. Aside from that just all the usual lovely old bike BS.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I was just thinking of the little day to day things, like you have too much weight on the bars, hit a bump, accidentally give it throttle, then it rockets off. I love that 2nd gear can go from 0 to 90mph...

This sounds like any sportbike with a decent amount of torque to me. Is the Daytona only a special snowflake because it actually makes torque down low compared to the other 600s?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jazzzzz posted:

This sounds like any sportbike with a decent amount of torque to me. Is the Daytona only a special snowflake because it actually makes torque down low compared to the other 600s?

It's got a 'Widowmaker' reputation on this forum, but since we are all goons it's more of a 'Video-Game-Abandoner', I guess. :shrug:

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

The Daytona's a triple, right?

Total displacement / Number of cylinders = n

The bigger n is, the more torque the engine will generally make for that displacement range.

So if the Daytona's a triple while the others are fours, it should have a leg up (and 75cc) on its 600cc competition, at least in the torque department.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jazzzzz posted:

The thing I keep hearing is that the handling is very much track oriented which makes it way twitchier than an average, inexperienced rider is prepared to deal with, even when compared to say a CBR600 or an R6.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
What is the draw with triumph in general? It seems half the people that stop in here want a Daytona 675 or Bonneville. Outside of the internet I have never actually seen anyone riding one. Is this a west coast or hipster thing I don't get?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

rdb posted:

What is the draw with triumph in general? It seems half the people that stop in here want a Daytona 675 or Bonneville. Outside of the internet I have never actually seen anyone riding one. Is this a west coast or hipster thing I don't get?

Possibly. The best selling Triumph dealership in the US is in Portland (along with the best selling Ducati dealership) - at least they were a couple years ago.

Though the Bonneville guys are usually just hipsters who latched onto it because it was for a while, the only retro looking bike on the market before everyone else jumped on that cash cow.

The Daytona guys are usually mootmoots-in-training. :colbert:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, that's what confuses me about the Daytona, it seems a bit lacking in electronics for the $14k sticker, combine that with midrange power and it looks like a recipe for disaster for newer riders. I don't see what it offers above a ZX6R, GSXR etc that justifies the cost.

Maybe the fact that when I see the word Triumph I automatically think of the company that made the TR7 and Lucas electrics scares me away.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rdb posted:

They make a great looking middleweight that has an actual midrange compared to the 600 inline fours while at the same time being set up with very aggressive geometry for a stock bike and a narrow bike feel. They also sell a version with Ohlins suspension and other goodies for a not-unreasonable price. Traction control isn't as big of a deal on a 600 since it takes some effort to spin up a warm tire, even with that midrange. Newer riders shouldn't be on a supersport in the first place.

edit: The base 675 stickers at 12k. You're looking at the 675R with Ohlins R&T forks, TTX rear shock, Brembos, quickshifter, etc. None of the Japanese brands even sell something like that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 6, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Thanks for explaining that. Your right, the Japanese don't offer the high end components the 675R does.

However, new riders still get on super sports.

And bad things happen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngusODMCsY

Someone else made the jump from an R3 to a Daytona and here are the results.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rdb posted:

Thanks for explaining that. Your right, the Japanese don't offer the high end components the 675R does.

However, new riders still get on super sports.

And bad things happen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ngusODMCsY

Someone else made the jump from an R3 to a Daytona and here are the results.

Traction control isn't saving you from 'hitting sand' or being an idiot. It'll (probably) prevent you from highsiding if you spin the rear up in a corner.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 6, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slide Hammer posted:

The Daytona's a triple, right?

Total displacement / Number of cylinders = n

The bigger n is, the more torque the engine will generally make for that displacement range.

So if the Daytona's a triple while the others are fours, it should have a leg up (and 75cc) on its 600cc competition, at least in the torque department.

Torque is a function of displacement, not cylinders. Fewer cylinders usually means more power in the lower RPM range, but tuning and design is the real determiner of that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Torque is a function of displacement, not cylinders. Fewer cylinders usually means more power in the lower RPM range, but tuning and design is the real determiner of that.

What he means is cost is the real determiner of that :v:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah the 'less cylinders = more torque' isn't an inherent thing. However engines with fewer cylinders can usually not rev as high, which dictates designing/tuning for torque.
Here's a fun dyno curve; the twin cylinder bike makes more low-end torque but, even though it revs higher, peters out before the thumper. Also it shows how incredible the lc4 engine is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

High Protein posted:

Yeah the 'less cylinders = more torque' isn't an inherent thing. However engines with fewer cylinders can usually not rev as high, which dictates designing/tuning for torque.
Here's a fun dyno curve; the twin cylinder bike makes more low-end torque but, even though it revs higher, peters out before the thumper. Also it shows how incredible the lc4 engine is.

Not pictured: the incredible maintenance schedule required to get that kind of power from a single.