Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Loving Life Partner posted:

Looking for some short, impactful reading. Would prefer good poetry books or short story collections. I like anything, but especially surreal/fiction.

Seconding an Etgar Keret short story collection. I've only read Suddenly a Knock on the Door, but I'll definitely be going back for more when the mood strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Inzombiac posted:

I need a recommendation.

I'm looking for a book or books on folk medicine, herbology and anything to do with strange and even harmful remedies.
If the author ties them into supernatural beliefs, that's even better.

Preferably I'd like a book where the author doesn't try to sell the reader on why it works. Either playing it straight as a retelling of events or that with a healthy dose of debunking.

The Podcast Sawbones is wonderful for this but I need a book for a project. Folk medicine/lore is very fascinating to me and I'd like to know more about how people got things so wrong for so long.

It's more about outright snake oil than traditional folk medicine, but I can't pass up an opportunity to recommend Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock. It's a good read and man, talk about harmful remedies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Picayune posted:

It's more about outright snake oil than traditional folk medicine, but I can't pass up an opportunity to recommend Charlatan: America's Most Dangerous Huckster, the Man Who Pursued Him, and the Age of Flimflam by Pope Brock. It's a good read and man, talk about harmful remedies.

I'm very fond of Fads and Fallacies: In the Name of Science. A 1957 book by Martin Gardner which gives an excellent overview on everything from Scientology to Orgone Therapy. Gardner had a great writing style and his history of humanity's gullibility is amazing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Leaving to live in a foreign country for a couple months, looking for some easy, comforting books to take with me on my Kindle. Not opposed to Literature or genre fiction, just something to keep my mind off things. Any suggestions?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Amelie Nothomb's books tend to be short and funny and a lot of them focus on "stranger in a strange land" aspect. Try Fear and Trembling (do not Kierkegaard's book by accident) or Loving Sabotage

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

(do not Kierkegaard's book by accident)

Please do Kierkegaard's book by accident. Thomas LIgotti's Conspiracy The Against the Human Race and David Benatar's Better Never to Have Been will also help you keep your mind off things.

Joking aside, I recommend any of the two Bolano doorstoppers, 2666 and Savage Detectives. Someone once wrote in a book review "haunts the waking and dreaming mind", and that's what Bolano's novels do for me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm kinda looking for an anti-Ligotti here. Amelie Nothomb sounds great.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda looking for an anti-Ligotti here. Amelie Nothomb sounds great.

She is. The Character of Rain is also good.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

Try Fear and Trembling (do not Kierkegaard's book by accident)

please do read Kierkegaard cause it's good

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Hello thread! A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

kedo posted:

Hello thread! A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, and A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson is also good.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Awesome, thanks much!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Can anyone recommend any fiction that has parallels with Trump's election? So far I have Stephen King's Dead Zone and Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here. Any other recommendations? Remember: fiction only. Thanks. :)

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
roth's the plot against america

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Can anyone recommend any fiction that has parallels with Trump's election? So far I have Stephen King's Dead Zone and Sinclair Lewis's It Can't Happen Here. Any other recommendations? Remember: fiction only. Thanks. :)

It's comics, but Transmetropolitan, particularly the "Year of the Bastard" arc.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

chernobyl kinsman posted:

roth's the plot against america

This X 1000. The parallels are creepy.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

you shouldn't read any of those books or talk about how creepy the parallels are actually

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

A human heart posted:

you shouldn't read any of those books or talk about how creepy the parallels are actually

Reading The Plot Against America gave me anxiety and I read it years ago. Reading it now would be on a whole other level.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
you could read a ronald reagan biography and follow it up with one on thatcher when it comes to pence and your set instead of being dumb as hell.

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
btw i know you said fiction so read one with a pro slant. there you go

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Y'all check out the secret Santa thread that's my recommendation

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
or anything about a species that's decided it's not cut out for this civilization thing and decides to end it all.

apropos of nothing.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Reading The Plot Against America gave me anxiety and I read it years ago. Reading it now would be on a whole other level.

Literal friend of Hitler Charles Lindbergh and DOnald Trump are surely exactly the same.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's creepy how this book is about the election of a man I don't like, and recently a man I don't like was elected. Phillip Roth is a genius/

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Read the bit of America by Baudrillard where he talks about how Reagan got elected due to being on TV

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
nice meltdown

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Just started The Plot Against America. Pretty good so far.

Unrelated, I want to read some alternate history stuff. Any suggestions of famous books in that genre?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

spiderbyte posted:

Unrelated, I want to read some alternate history stuff. Any suggestions of famous books in that genre?

Off the top of my head:

The Man in the High Castle (Nazis and Japanese win WWII)
Pavane (Spanish Armada conquers England)
The Yiddish Policemen's Union (Israel collapses, Jews are relocated to Alaska)
The Years of Rice and Salt (Black Death almost completely depopulates Europe)

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Selachian posted:

Off the top of my head:

Awesome thanks. I started The Man in the High Castle, but just couldn't get into it unfortunately. Might try it again. Years of rice and salt looks interesting. Thanks!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fatherland is a great detective story set in alternate history post WW2 nazi Germany.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Fatherland is a great detective story set in alternate history post WW2 nazi Germany.

Len Deighton's fantastic SS-GB is one of those set in Great Britain.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

spiderbyte posted:

I'm seconding The Yiddish Policeman's Union. Such a vivid construction of a fictional culture.

I also have a request. Can anyone recommend me a book with a setting that combines modern (or even near-future) technology with fantasy elements, but the fantasy elements are not hidden from the public like in your typical urban fantasy.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Sailor Viy posted:

I'm seconding The Yiddish Policeman's Union. Such a vivid construction of a fictional culture.

I also have a request. Can anyone recommend me a book with a setting that combines modern (or even near-future) technology with fantasy elements, but the fantasy elements are not hidden from the public like in your typical urban fantasy.

China Mieville's The City & The City is close to this, good book as well.

Selachian posted:

Off the top of my head:

How good is Pavane compared to the others you listed? They're all excellent so if it compares well, it'll be my next read.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Dirty Frank posted:

How good is Pavane compared to the others you listed? They're all excellent so if it compares well, it'll be my next read.

I liked it quite a bit, but at times Pavane is more like a combination operator's manual and history book for this fictitious culture than a proper story.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Pavane can be dry and obtuse compared to some of the other books I cited, but it's still worth a read.

Sailor Viy posted:

John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time perhaps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sailor Viy posted:

The Bartimaeus books by Jonathan Stroud, maybe a bit YA but still a fantastic read. Magicians running the British government.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Curious if anyone could recommend a book about Korean History, hopefully in English.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Could anyone recommend a good biography on Howard Hughes? I'm more interested in the eccentricities/mental health aspects than the aviation aspects of his life, especially his early and later years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Could anyone recommend a good biography on Howard Hughes? I'm more interested in the eccentricities/mental health aspects than the aviation aspects of his life, especially his early and later years.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Hughes-His-Life-Madness/dp/0393326020/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479521754&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+hughes

That is the one that I have read and I could not recommend it enough. I went on a Howard Hughes kick a few years ago and this was the best one out of the bunch.