Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nah. While DW is by no means perfect it still remains a pretty enjoyable experience today and is one of the few game I go back to play every now and then just for the sheer delight of raising my own and unique Digimon.

Cyber Sleuth is ultimately a pretty generic RPG with a Digimon coat of paint and what it made it stood out to me was the story and the characters.

However, the best Digimon game for me is Digital Card Battle. Man that was such a great game.

That said, I'm really excited to play Next 0rder.

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/789478500424114177

it's ok to like bad games. you of all people should know that very well.

you're right about digital card battle being dope though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Nah. While DW is by no means perfect it still remains a pretty enjoyable experience today and is one of the few game I go back to play every now and then just for the sheer delight of raising my own and unique Digimon.

Cyber Sleuth is ultimately a pretty generic RPG with a Digimon coat of paint and what it made it stood out to me was the story and the characters.

However, the best Digimon game for me is Digital Card Battle. Man that was such a great game.

That said, I'm really excited to play Next 0rder.

https://twitter.com/Digisoulweb/status/789478500424114177

I like DW as well, it's still a bad game on nearly every level.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People generally like Digimon World BECAUSE it's broken as poo poo.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kind of hard to believe this guy is a digimon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
His tail is really the only thing that fits, even in the old designs that kinda look like technocolor kaiju

He looks like an off brand Gyaos

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

eh, I think he looks digimon enough. Kind of like a cross between Megidramon and Armagemon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

You could have told me that was some form of Rathalos from Monster Hunter and I would have believed it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe if we got to see it in 2D form first. That might be what throws it off as some random anime kaiju

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's Meteor Black Dragon from YGO.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

dis astranagant posted:

It's Meteor Black Dragon from YGO.

It's more like the Red Eyes Darkness Dragon.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Burkion posted:

His tail is really the only thing that fits, even in the old designs that kinda look like technocolor kaiju

He looks like an off brand Gyaos

and the tail is the thing that looks like it fits because it's a random tacked on part like big digimon tend to have. he fits because of a piece that doesn't.

digimon is so dumb

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New interview with Cyber Sleuth and Next 0rder PS4 version

I assume this is the bit more people will be interested

quote:

“We’ll be thinking about that, but as for next year, probably there will be a different story, a Digimon Story title,” he replied.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Alternating between Digimon Story and World sounds like a neat way to keep it yearly. I'm not very clear on these games, are they the exact same team or would this mean each team gets at least two years to develop games?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Alternating between Digimon Story and World sounds like a neat way to keep it yearly. I'm not very clear on these games, are they the exact same team or would this mean each team gets at least two years to develop games?

Those are handled by different teams. And in fact, the producer of Cyber Sleuth was leaving the Digimon IP entirely after CS but thanks to the overwhelming success of the game in the west he has been brought back and pretty much put in charge of the Digimon series as whole. So, expect for the World and the Story games to share some similarities from now on (for example the bit where he mentions to want actual commands in the World games)

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I didn't know B.B. Studio worked on Next Order. They're the Super Robot Wars guys.

For reference, Tri-Crescendo (Eternal Sonata and partially Baten Kaitos) did RE:Digitize and Media Vision (Wild Arms) did Cyber Sleuth. I wonder if they'll pull another studio to work on the next Story game or get Media Vision to do it again.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I now want Wild Arms with Digimon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I want Super Digimon Wars.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtDQ_A3T_U

It definitely looks prettier now.

KoB
May 1, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

:same:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Just curious, is anybody watching that current ongoing series? I watched four episodes and while I wasn't impressed, I'm surprised more people are taking about the Digimon World games.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TaurusOxford posted:

Would be nice, that or a competently made Action RPG

Honestly it's annoying how few of the Digimon games are actually any fun from a gameplay aspect, Rumble Arena was pretty much the only one that wasn't a chore to play(and that one didn't age too well)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Craptacular! posted:

Just curious, is anybody watching that current ongoing series? I watched four episodes and while I wasn't impressed, I'm surprised more people are taking about the Digimon World games.

I'm watching it and care more about it than the videogames. It's pretty good, it hits the right spots feel-wise and it's definitely a Digimon series, plus I like that the humans get to do stuff beyond cheering their buddies. I wish the subtitles were a bit better though, when even my knowledge of Japanese (self-taught through watching subbed stuff) can tell they got lines wrong, that's a bad thing. A very obvious example happened this episode, with Dokamon telling Eri to enter the kicking command and then...unleashing a punch rush. Because he was saying that she should enter the command then kick, which is what she did. On-screen. And the incredibly stupid capitalization they use (Appmon CHIP, Appli DRIVE, etc) is honestly ugly to the sight.

If I have to complain about one thing, it's giving Haru the victory last episode. It's Eri's entrance, she should get the win, but nope, Gatchmon beats Dressmon and Haru gets the Chip. It gave me bad Frontier flashbacks, and I really hope it doesn't happen again.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly it's annoying how few of the Digimon games are actually any fun from a gameplay aspect, Rumble Arena was pretty much the only one that wasn't a chore to play(and that one didn't age too well)

Digimon Digital Card Battle.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

I saw the first few episodes. It succeeds as what it's trying to be: an adaptation of the franchise that appeals to modern kids and deliberately avoids relying on the structure of previous series. It's more Yokai Watch than Digimon Adventure, but the setting/premise and designs are unmistakably Digimon.
It succeeds in what it does, but what it does isn't something I'm terribly interested in at the moment. I'll watch it now and then.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 2, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm watching it and care more about it than the videogames. It's pretty good, it hits the right spots feel-wise and it's definitely a Digimon series, plus I like that the humans get to do stuff beyond cheering their buddies. I wish the subtitles were a bit better though, when even my knowledge of Japanese (self-taught through watching subbed stuff) can tell they got lines wrong, that's a bad thing. A very obvious example happened this episode, with Dokamon telling Eri to enter the kicking command and then...unleashing a punch rush. Because he was saying that she should enter the command then kick, which is what she did. On-screen. And the incredibly stupid capitalization they use (Appmon CHIP, Appli DRIVE, etc) is honestly ugly to the sight.

If I have to complain about one thing, it's giving Haru the victory last episode. It's Eri's entrance, she should get the win, but nope, Gatchmon beats Dressmon and Haru gets the Chip. It gave me bad Frontier flashbacks, and I really hope it doesn't happen again.

Digimon Digital Card Battle.

Never played that one, so can't really judge it

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I need to see how the next episode with Perorimon turns out before assuming they're treating Eri like Izumi. They could just as easily have put the App Link between Dokamon and Gatchmon in for the sake of the toyline, which has figures that are big on swapping parts of the various Appmon, ala how they had Gatchmon use Dokamon's fists.

This show is a toy commercial, and that makes it no different from its predecessors. Even Tamers had its more gratuitous moments. And that market has only gotten more competitive in the last decade and a half, hence why certain things get pushed harder. The Fairymon being shown up by Wolfmon thing... there was no excuse like there seems to be here, so it just felt pointlessly chauvinistic.

So I'm just gonna wait an episode and see how it turns out before assuming something like that's going on.

That being said I'm less hyped about Applimonsters than when it started. The action sequences and the CGI... I dunno. There's good ideas here but I dunno about the implementation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This is unexpected

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=710666368

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

wonder how long it'll be before it gets shut down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TFRazorsaw posted:

There are unlicensed 'ports' of waaaaaay higher-profile properties that have been up for years.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Pretty sure this is classified as a fan project. No money is exchanging hands from the looks of it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoUS/status/799265863392079875

Digimon World's OST :swoon:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Would this little guy count as an Agumon variant?

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 19, 2016

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Would this little guy count as an Agumon variant?

"Agumon!"
"Red Eyes Black Dragon!"

""DNA Digivolve to...!"""

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That doesn't look anything like Agumon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like Deathwing from wow.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

We have a an official countdown to the 20th anniversary, which is in 45 days.

There's also a 20th anniversary logo, featuring the "first Digimon", Tyrannomon:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

That doesn't look anything like Agumon.

the jaw looks kinda similar if you squint and are also half-blind, and...thats it thats the only thing i can think of that might make people think its agumon

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its probably the shape of the top of the head, but that's the same shape that other dinosaur Digimon like Tyrannomon and Shellmon have too, so really its just design consistency at work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More New Digimon revealed for Next Order
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/800731579425361920

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Susanoomon and Chaosmon right next to each other.

Terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I want to take Susanoomon seriously but those knockoff Omegamon heads on his arms just ruin his whole design for me.