Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lmao holy loving poo poo Dongmin you prince way to ferret out Jungmoon. I actually initially suspected her because I was like "wow if she was a baddie she could give fake numbers and cast doubts" but that seemed less useful than simply not telling them the numbers. However I totally overlooked her asking to be final king! And people don't like this ep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

EmmyOk posted:

Lmao holy loving poo poo Dongmin you prince way to ferret out Jungmoon. I actually initially suspected her because I was like "wow if she was a baddie she could give fake numbers and cast doubts" but that seemed less useful than simply not telling them the numbers. However I totally overlooked her asking to be final king! And people don't like this ep?

The game is sort of sabotaged by all the baddies being bad at the game. If anyone actually competent at lying had been on the rebel side, maybe the rebels had stood a chance. Instead it just became Yet Another Round Of Dongmination. Like, even without Dongmin ferreting out Jungmoon, the other baddies had already, uh, sabotaged themselves by being pretty incompetent at the game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Exercu posted:

The game is sort of sabotaged by all the baddies being bad at the game. If anyone actually competent at lying had been on the rebel side, maybe the rebels had stood a chance. Instead it just became Yet Another Round Of Dongmination. Like, even without Dongmin ferreting out Jungmoon, the other baddies had already, uh, sabotaged themselves by being pretty incompetent at the game.

Right but if he hadn't done that there is a good chance she would have been granted her wish at the end of being the last king and automatically making her team win. Or at the end she could have claimed someone else was the last rebel.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Adblock plus has been a thing for forever, it takes 5 minutes.

I've had it for forever, I haven't been keeping it up to date though so maybe that's it.

EmmyOk posted:

Right but if he hadn't done that there is a good chance she would have been granted her wish at the end of being the last king and automatically making her team win. Or at the end she could have claimed someone else was the last rebel.

If I remember correctly a rebel being final king didn't make the rebel team win, it just meant that particular player was immune to the deathmatch (so the deathmatch would be the two other rebel players). That was largely why Dongmin suspected Jungmoon in the first place, only a rebel really cares that much about being final king. (Rebel final king could have released the rebels from jail though giving them one round to tank things as much as possible

So her move wasn't a cunning long shot at grabbing a win, it was a manoeuvre to ensure her own survival whilst sabotaging her team to hell. And then Dongmin comes along and gives her a "sell out your team so you personally survive" deal which he didn't even really need to do because he already correctly guessed the traitors (and after Jungmoon admits it he knows two of them with near 100% certainty).

Rebels would have won if Dongmin got it wrong at the end, but if he had any suspicion Jungmoon was lying he could've just named her instead. And the only reason they got into that "guess correctly or lose" scenario is because Dongmin wanted to make things dramatic and show off, the guess the rebels mechanic really didn't strike me as the safest/easiest way to win so if Dongmin had any doubts he could've just not done it and gotten his team to win normally. (In the S3 game where Hyunmin does it did seem like the safest/easiest way to win, though his team was already probably going to win anyway).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I haven't seen that ep in a while but from what I recall Jungmoon was the only person who knew that many digits of Pi, so I remember thinking she was especially dumb since she could have more easily maneuvered a victory either by 1) Not telling anyone she knew Pi, or 2) Giving incorrect digits at the right moment to gently caress over the other team.

She did neither. Cause she dumb.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Jungmoon played poorly, but it was still a bad game.

If you're in the majority, you can win by literally doing nothing, even if you're dumb as a brick. Yoohyun drew suspicion by Thinking Too Hard and trying to play the game. The game was set up for Rebels to fail.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

My main issue is there is literally no reason to get someone on the town side to betray their team. There's nothing in it for them. So baddies: A) Are immediately shut down once Dongmin states no one may go off with someone. B) Are placed in a position where ratting on their team is a better move than anything else.

It may have worked a little better if the other two didn't get caught, but once that happened Jungmoon just went into survival mode, instead of lying about who the other spies were.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yeah, I think the dunking on Jungmoon over that episode gets out of hand. She misplayed it, but Kyungran and Yoohyun did even worse, on top of it being a bad game. Once Yoohyun revealed himself, it put the other rebels in a really bad position and Kyungran's basic inability to function on the "betrayer" team made it even harder.

Jungmoon's pretty boring, but she's hardly another Jiwon. I think mostly the hate on for her stems from the fact that everyone likes Kyungran (including me!) and she scapegoated Jungmoon for the loss even though Kyungran didn't do anything to avert it herself.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Yeah, I think the dunking on Jungmoon over that episode gets out of hand. She misplayed it, but Kyungran and Yoohyun did even worse, on top of it being a bad game. Once Yoohyun revealed himself, it put the other rebels in a really bad position and Kyungran's basic inability to function on the "betrayer" team made it even harder.

Jungmoon's pretty boring, but she's hardly another Jiwon. I think mostly the hate on for her stems from the fact that everyone likes Kyungran (including me!) and she scapegoated Jungmoon for the loss even though Kyungran didn't do anything to avert it herself.

Jungmoon gets poo poo on - but she wasn't the one who immediately outed herself to everyone not Dongmin. Kyungran is bad at sneaky, and Yoohyun got caught by loving Kyunghoon. I still think the optimal strategy is to do literally nothing for most of the game. Because , even with the knowledge of pi, it is difficult to keep one side from overflowing given one traitor revealing themselves at 2 or 3 digits. The issue is that this requires the criminals to all intuit this or one to communicate it somewhat secretly.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Games where people have a secret agenda are cool on paper but there are way too many who, despite their other skills are just terribly at lying and always get caught. Plus you have someone like Sangmin who is great at reading people and shrewdly asked 'are you a human or a person ?' to confirm his suspicion. Players had received a 'you are a Zombie' or 'you are a Human' card so anyone answering 'yes I am a person' (after a little pause) or has trouble answering was sure to be a zombie.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

CeeJee posted:

Sangmin who is great at reading people and shrewdly asked 'are you a human or a person ?'

Wasn't that Changyeop who came up with that question, though? Hilariously enough, to take out his one and only ally Jungmoon?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

Wasn't that Changyeop who came up with that question, though? Hilariously enough, to take out his one and only ally Jungmoon?

Yeah, Changyeop asked that question which is when he got Jungmoon's hilariously awkward "i'm a woman". Sangmin just looked at how people behaved and called it immediately.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
You can tell how baller a move that was since, for the rest of the series, they always post images of all variations of secret role cards so you couldn't pull the same trick.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I never noticed that! I loved how The Genius grew and evolved against its players breaking the games.

Maybe the creator just figured that ring toss is a thing that cannot be broken.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Rock Paper Scissors got the most revisions, since it's in every season. My favorite patch was after Kang realized he could just get ahead early then tie for the rest of the game to lock his opponent out of betting, instead of playing mind games. They fixed that in season 4.

Stobbit
Mar 9, 2006

Davincie posted:

on a somewhat lighter (?) note, the 3 year married guy's adam's apple is way too big. its disturbing to see

My god, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. It's one of those things where once you notice it, it takes away from everything else in a shot. IT'S SO LARGE

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
I knew I had seen MJ before, she was in an episode of Infinity Challenge earlier this year. It's the Letters of Fortune episode or which is #116 on dramafever.com

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I hope Yoohyun wins this Indian Poker against Kyungran because it's absolutely his wheelhouse and also I like him and would like him to have at least one big moment in the series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Goddamn you stupid gently caress you're definitely going to be owned to poo poo now.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yoohyun win or lose rn you can't beat the craic when someone goes all in.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dongmin has now won 2/5 of the deathmatches by proxy. I see why Yoohyun tried to make her fold on 10 but I definitely feel like he should have realised that the meta in Indian Poker is forcing folds on 10s and she would have anticipated especially after she lost.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah I feel like every knew their meta and adjusted, but then didn't expect anyone else to do that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Junseok tells Kyungran he'll make her last today

"I'll remember that, Oppa"

"Remember it please :cool:"

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Yoohyun goes by Dennis Kim in america and I think it's funnier to remember him as Dennis.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Junseok tells Kyungran he'll make her last today

"I'll remember that, Oppa"

"Remember it please :cool:"

Junseok really stood out in Season 4. Complete IDGAF. I love it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
When is the next Society Game ep out? I need my fix.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Just watch survivor while listening to K-pop. That should hold you.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

qbert posted:

The subs are usually posted on Sundays, but Bumdidlyumptious tweeted that it didn't get done this weekend. I assume they have less time to do this on weekdays because of a day job.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone
As an avid fan of Genius, just watched the first 3 episodes and...

Society Game kinda blows...

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

Daeno posted:

As an avid fan of Genius, just watched the first 3 episodes and...

Society Game kinda blows...

It's not great. But MJ is

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anaconda Rifle posted:

It's fun enough but I agree, MJ is by far the best part of it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Anaconda Rifle posted:

It's fun enough but I agree, MJ is by far the best part of it. I could just watch her be unimpressed by everything all day.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I know right, I thought I fell in love with the two ladies who won their respective categories in round one, now I don't even know who they were

MJ all the way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Society Game ep4 is up.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

E4 is up.

gently caress, beaten

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
god bless bumdiddlyumptious

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Symbolic Butt posted:

god bless bumdidlyumptious

For real. Didn't some goon suggest passing a hat around and getting bumdi a lil present from this thread? Did that ever happen? Would be super cool if there's some nonweird way to say thanks.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ep 4: Couldn't help but laugh at the Mad Men theme kicking in for the swap.

I hated seeing the best player sticking up so much for the worst.

pokeyman posted:

For real. Didn't some goon suggest passing a hat around and getting bumdi a lil present from this thread? Did that ever happen? Would be super cool if there's some nonweird way to say thanks.
Don't have any ideas myself, but sounds good.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I believe Bumdy values the mystery of his/her/its/their identity more then any reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The final revelation of the Genius Shared Universe is that Bump, Dealer Nuna, and Bandage Oppa were all the same person.