Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Pierson posted:

So was Evangelion ANIMA anything other than an excuse for merchandise and tits? Because the idea of 25/26 not happening and Nerv going to the moon and stuff sounds cool and some of the newer designs look boss but hooo boy those plot details/novel covers.

Anima is a good example of what happens when you give Evangelion to people who think that it needs to be "fixed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Shoehead posted:

I couldnt think of any other female Kaiju. :sweatdrop:

rodan is basically a single-mother in godzilla vs mechagodzilla II

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

rodan is basically a single-mother in godzilla vs mechagodzilla II

No, he's hatched from the same nest as Baby and is at one point called his step brother.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
So I was re-watching Asuka's fight against the MP Eva Series to appreciate how it took me 12-13 years after watching EoE the first time to realize the extent to which Asuka's eye was bleeding
when I realized how loving weird it was for her to be bleeding in the first place, two years later! :v:

She wasn't hurt by the lance itself since the entry plug is located in the spine and not the head ...which now that I think about it makes total sense, holy poo poo, because it's like the pilots are hijacking the afferent-interneuron-efferent system. The Eva and the pilot are separate cognitive entities, which is why the pilots need to sync well enough with it to be able to influence the Eva's motor plan and yet the pilots also feel what happens to their Eva as if they are receiving the afferent signals themselves(/also?). But profusely bleeding from the eye socket is a bit above psychosomatic empathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNHSkeUB6TQ
(sorry I'm literally too loving retarded to figure out how to embed hosted webms :suicide: let's see how long this stays up on youtube)

And yet Asuka is not also eviscerated when Unit-02 gets eviscerated; she just writhes in pain--and even if you'd think maybe her plugsuit was keeping her entrails in, her head isn't as hosed up as Unit-02's.

(oh hey, continuity error? Unit-02's head's not hosed up until we see it start to reactivate)

(Neat!)

And I had always taken the arm-splitting frames to be symbolic, but slowing it down--

It starts to spurt blood like it always does when there's blood to be spurted. (Quick example from a gif I made a while ago^) So it seems less symbolic than I originally thought, just... censored? Or was an anatomically-correct arm splittage too hard/not worth the effort?

So... what are the implications of this? I don't believe Shinji/Unit-01 ever gets injured after the latter goes berserk, and/but we don't see Shinji after Unit-01 reactivates against Zeruel. If we had, would his left arm have suddenly vanished, if he was synced 400% then, or is 400% instant soup, so Asuka here was synced less? I mean, I'm familiar enough with Evangelion and all the side exposition that I genuinely feel I've got a good grip on what happens and the general fan theories/questions (eg who's in Unit-00's core, what was Yui's plan, why was Toji along for the ride on the Rei/Yui+Shinji Dream Train, Quantum Reis, et al), but this is seriously the first time I've thought of this question and I don't think I've ever heard anyone else talk about it, either. Have I just missed it?

I know the rules are generally thrown out when it's berserk status, but even aside from how weird it is that Asuka is actually injured at all, how does she survive long enough with that split brachial artery to be tanged to be able to re-appear (with her bandaged right arm, no less)? I mean, poo poo, I had to keep myself from writing "Asuka's death scene" during this post which made me realize I've always thought she did die, but isn't the general consensus that only people alive for instrumentality could come out of it--hence why Misato/Ritsuko/Gendou couldn't--so she had to have survived this, right?

E-flat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 26, 2016

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

E-flat posted:

I mean, poo poo, I had to keep myself from writing "Asuka's death scene" during this post which made me realize I've always thought she did die, but isn't the general consensus that only people alive for instrumentality could come out of it--hence why Misato/Ritsuko/Gendou couldn't--so she had to have survived this, right?

it's been a while since i've watched eoe sober, but i seem to recall a frame of a rei standing over misato's body before the stairwell blows up, leaving her fate ambiguous?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it's been a while since i've watched eoe sober, but i seem to recall a frame of a rei standing over misato's body before the stairwell blows up, leaving her fate ambiguous?

It's not even really ambiguous.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
We don't know if they killed the shirt tho, it could have survived.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

ImpAtom posted:

It's not even really ambiguous.

huh, point. Interesting, since she also explodes

I guess my belief that Misato was dead-and-gone came from others years ago, and Shinji keeping her cross. And, I suppose, thinking that she was the kind of person to be "able to imagine themselves within their own heart" and come back. v:v:v

Alright, so if the dead also got tanged, I wonder how many of them. If there is enough of their corporeal body left...? I wonder how many dead people were able to be 'reunited' with their loved ones, and vice versa.

Man, Eva is great. Every time I come back to it, I get something new out of it. To Anno, thank you. :unsmith:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

E-flat posted:

Man, Eva is great. Every time I come back to it, I get something new out of it. To Anno, thank you. :unsmith:

That's the real curse of EVA, isn't it? As much as people think it's the teenage girls, 'cause y'know, Japan, I think this has way more to do with it. I enjoyed Gurren Lagann more, but it doesn't have that aspect on subsequent viewings.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Get in the Tokyo Godzilla :mad:

New thread title please.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

C/D: The best Evangelion videogame is Bloodborne.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah I think Misato gets SUPER dead

I think those are two halves of her body..

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I mean does it really matter what happens to Misato in that instant when the entirity of human conciousness is shortly thereafter dumped in an ocean of tang?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rei is right there, just like how she's there when ritsuko dies. Then they show you their tanged remains.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yeah it doesn't make much sense but I always assumed if Rei was around when you ate poo poo, no matter how it happened, that you were included in the DS9-esque sea of human goo. Like maybe your mind is still floating around and can join the goo even if you didn't really contribute your own goo and we all come back just a little skinnier thanks to the goo moochers. The goochers if you will.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Like maybe your mind is still floating around and can join the goo even if you didn't really contribute your own goo and we all come back just a little skinnier thanks to the goo moochers. The goochers if you will.
drat goochers stealing our american goo :argh:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean does it really matter what happens to Misato in that instant when the entirety of human consciousness is shortly thereafter dumped in an ocean of tang?

Well, I think it's interesting, because if the already-dead do get tanged, then, well, they join the sea of human consciousness. When they have no consciousness. Because they're dead. It stands to reason, then, that therefore they must gain new consciousness, because of/in order to them re-joining collective human consciousness.

It makes Seele's goal for instrumentality even closer to the concept of heaven, in which you can be reunited with your loved ones. I'd maybe also include Gendo's goal, as it's to be re-united with Yui, but I can't remember off the top of my head how his scenario is different from Seele's, and it seems like if Unit-01's godhood is involved, she'd not participate in the gooing regardless.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, the whole instrumentality project would have been better served if Yui hadnt jumped into unit 01 in the first place.

I mean, unless HER plan the entire time was to place life itself at Shinji's feet. In which case, wowzers, Yui is top nutcase.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, the whole instrumentality project would have been better served if Yui hadnt jumped into unit 01 in the first place.

SEELE was going to murder her otherwise. Jumping into Unit-01 misdirected them for a while (at the beginning of the series they don't even seem aware of who/what Unit-01 is) and by the end it's too late for them to get rid of her so they just have to run with it and do the best they can.

Shinjobi posted:

I mean, unless HER plan the entire time was to place life itself at Shinji's feet. In which case, wowzers, Yui is top nutcase.

Well, probably, but at the same time it kind of worked out. Shinji made the right decision.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

As with many Japanese media, putting the fate of the future in the hands of the children rather than the corrupt adults is the cutesy moral they were going for.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Shinjobi posted:

To be fair SEELE's entire plan was to use the sea of souls to turn themselves into ultra gods and screw over literally everyone else. So, in that light Shinji was probably the better choice.

Yui's plan was to grab the wheel at the last second so SEELE couldn't react in time. She just didn't tell her husband about it.

Maybe if she had, he'd have raised Shinji properly instead of going on a grief stricken bender and then devoting everything to prying his wife out of her robot with a Rei-shaped crowbar.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Heavy Sigh posted:

To be fair SEELE's entire plan was to use the sea of souls to turn themselves into ultra gods and screw over literally everyone else. So, in that light Shinji was probably the better choice.

Yui's plan was to grab the wheel at the last second so SEELE couldn't react in time. She just didn't tell her husband about it.

Maybe if she had, he'd have raised Shinji properly instead of going on a grief stricken bender and then devoting everything to prying his wife out of her robot with a Rei-shaped crowbar.

To sum up every character interaction in NGE.

"...if only they communicated. :( "

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah it doesn't make much sense but I always assumed if Rei was around when you ate poo poo, no matter how it happened, that you were included in the DS9-esque sea of human goo. Like maybe your mind is still floating around and can join the goo even if you didn't really contribute your own goo and we all come back just a little skinnier thanks to the goo moochers. The goochers if you will.

New fan theory: Evangelion is a prequel to DS9 and is about the founding of the Dominion

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Gammatron 64 posted:

New fan theory: Evangelion is a prequel to DS9 and is about the founding of the Dominion

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anno is suing Gainax for unpaid stuff.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

judge: i hereby rule this case in favor of mr. anno
lawyer: congratulations!
court clerk: congratulations!
bailiff: congratulations!
court reporter: congratulations!
counsel: congratulations!
anno: thank you all.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Tae posted:

Anno is suing Gainax for unpaid stuff.
they also seem to be in a rather dire financial situation

maybe if they stopped producing crap, and actually reprinted eva in the US theyd be doing better

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

there's really nothing worthwhile left of Gainax (RIP). Khara and Trigger have completely taken over their places and surpassed them in nearly every way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Relin posted:

they also seem to be in a rather dire financial situation

maybe if they stopped producing crap, and actually reprinted eva in the US theyd be doing better

Can they even do that? ADV had the license for the series while Manga had it for Death and Rebirth and EoE. No idea where the rights are now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/RyuMoto/status/804973972848685056

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Midjack posted:

Can they even do that? ADV had the license for the series while Manga had it for Death and Rebirth and EoE. No idea where the rights are now.

Japanese licencing seems to be a massive clusterfuck in general, so who the gently caress knows what's going on with it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The rights are probably still held by the post-bankruptcy corpse of ADV, who last I recall were holding out for more money.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
going by this article, it's just gainax being greedy (this includes not wanting people to import discs because japanese prices are insane)/incompetent

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2015-02-27/.85381

Relin fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 4, 2016

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gainax don't have all that sweet sweet razor money?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Shoehead posted:

Gainax don't have all that sweet sweet razor money?

That reminds me. Does....does unit 01 need to shave their beard? :ohdear:

Also, mom jeans.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
They probably designed them to be hairless. At least, I don't recall seeing any hair ever. Lilith at one point needed to shave off all those little Rei legs, but other than that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean does it really matter what happens to Misato in that instant when the entirity of human conciousness is shortly thereafter dumped in an ocean of tang?

I'm not sure... Most people assume Asuka is toast after the mass produced Evas get her but she manages to get tanged AND comes back, but she's still injured. Maybe if Misato came back she'd have a huge bandage around her stomach or something??

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't have an answer to this question but I feel like it would be a good time to remind everyone that Instrumentality Rei echoes back in time all the way (at least!) to the beginning of the series, where Shinji sees her for a brief moment.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I'm not sure... Most people assume Asuka is toast after the mass produced Evas get her but she manages to get tanged AND comes back, but she's still injured. Maybe if Misato came back she'd have a huge bandage around her stomach or something??

It's possible she wasn't actually dead yet by the time the tanging went down. It can take a surprising amount of time to actually die from even pretty grievous injuries.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Slime posted:

It's possible she wasn't actually dead yet by the time the tanging went down. It can take a surprising amount of time to actually die from even pretty grievous injuries.

Not to mention she wasn't ACTUALLY damaged. Bet it hurt like a mother fucker, though.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't have an answer to this question but I feel like it would be a good time to remind everyone that Instrumentality Rei echoes back in time all the way (at least!) to the beginning of the series, where Shinji sees her for a brief moment.

I'm willing to bet ALL souls are collected. Every single one from the chamber of Guf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Comedy option: the original series + EoE was already a time loop even without Rebuild, Rei and Kaworu are Lilith and Adam because Lilith and Adam are Rei and Kaworu, the Dead Sea Scrolls are accurate as prophecy because they were written by people who lived through the events in question, the much-debated scene of Kaworu talking to a very strange number of monoliths and are they SEELE or the dead Angels is resolved by them being both; the Angels are SEELE's immortal bodies that they wanted to obtain through Instrumentality.

:catdrugs:

please don't take this seriously