Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

I'm hoping that toonami edits those out or something.

But yeah unicorn is kinda hard to follow when they start talking about the "axis shock" but on the other hand it's beautifully animated, has a great soundtrack and some great mech designs. So it may go either way.

It's not like the exact nature of the Axis Shock matters. Once or twice somebody says "another Axis Shock!" but people can gather from context clues that it's a big thing that happened in the past. Or just ignore those lines, and the other stuff in the show will get across that a momentous thing is currently happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Having a TV series will be better for toonami, give them longer air time. I do agree the recaps got absurd though, like 5 minutes of recap every week?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

StalkofWheat posted:

Toonami just announced they're airing Unicorn:re whatever after Iron Blooded Orphans. So I guess it's time for UC to kill mainstream Gundam in the west again.

If IBO didn't kill it nothing will.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Why would the best Gundam shows this side of Turn-A kill mainstream Gundam?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Because they didn't put Build Fighters on Toonami, thus its absence is fatal. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Because G-Reco isn't getting into Toonami?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Is that true? It's the only gundam I have seen and holy poo poo it's so bad.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well here's an opinion I haven't really seen before.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's the prevailing opinion in the toonami thread.

Which is a shame because I want to like gundam but if this is the best you can offer Jesus Christ.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IBO has a lot of really significant flaws and if you're not willing to overlook them it's easy to see disliking it. Even with regards to Season 2 it's a case of "will some of these flaws lead to payoff or not?" which is hard to say.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As time passed IBO for me has gone from a thing I felt likewarm on to a thing I just straight up dislike.

Just the sorta thing where the more I think about it the more I regret the time I spent watching that first season.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like IBO a lot and I hope it keeps being good until the end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Good at what tho

Because it ain't plotting, fights, or characterization.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I would say IBO is a really entertaining Gundam show, but I wouldn't say it's a really great one.

The flaws are something you have to look past, instead of something that helps gives it its charm.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Good at what tho

Because it ain't plotting, fights, or characterization.

It is good at two of these things tho

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh we're at the part where people decide that no good thing is actually bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I would say IBO is a really entertaining Gundam show, but I wouldn't say it's a really great one.

The flaws are something you have to look past, instead of something that helps gives it its charm.

It is good at two of these things tho

Which two. Legit curious.

Zebulon posted:

The unicorn hate is to much it's true

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zebulon posted:

Im gonna rearrange a few words and blow your mind here:

Zebulon posted:

Oh we're at the part where people decide that no bad thing is actually good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

As time passed IBO for me has gone from a thing I felt likewarm on to a thing I just straight up dislike.

Just the sorta thing where the more I think about it the more I regret the time I spent watching that first season.

I don't really dislike it but I absolutely find the praise for it overblown.

There's a lot of things that it does which I think are good in theory but poor in execution and it does a lot of things which I find absurdly bad and am less willing to give a pass to than some people. I've been pretty cool on S2 largely because S1's ending may be one of my least favorite Gundam episodes ever.

Edit: And I've said it before but god drat do I hate Naze Turbine. He is like Lacus Clyne Doubled and somehow skeevier.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which two. Legit curious.

Characterization and fights. The fights hit hard. I think they do a good job of having really colorful characters that are humanized with small details. Mika especially.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

Characterization and fights. The fights hit hard. I think they do a good job of having really colorful characters that are humanized with small details. Mika especially.

I guess if I had to pick two but so far there has only been one character that I gave even a tiny poo poo about and she just died.

I also feel the show is way to reliant on fleshing a character out then killing them the same or next episode, feels forced.

I also think the fights are in general over to quickly and are way to sporadic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I honestly don't think it's very good at fights except in terms of making them very brutal. Mika is too 'strong' as a protagonist and is never really put into a position where he isn't and the show isn't really good about making Tekkadan feel like they're struggling. The brutality is a good note except, Biscuit aside, the show feels like it Plot Armors a bit too much. One thing I praised in the early episodes was that combat was extremely fatal... and then S1's ending somehow managed to avoid killing off 3/4 characters who would have died if they weren't named characters, three of which survived basically unscathed.

Like I said though, S1's ending was a huuuuge negative for me and makes me retroactively look more poorly on the previous season.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess if I had to pick two but so far there has only been one character that I gave even a tiny poo poo about and she just died.

I also feel the show is way to reliant on fleshing a character out then killing them the same or next episode, feels forced.

I also think the fights are in general over to quickly and are way to sporadic.

The fights being over quickly is the point. They aren't gentlemanly duels, even when some characters want them to be. They're fast and brutal and end with someone horribly killed, no honor or fairness involved.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like Mika, Orga and Mcgillis a lot.

The mech designs are also nice. Also I think it finds the good balance of not romanticising war but keeping the fights good. Hell the people that do romanticise war, ie. Carta, get their poo poo kicked kicked

Count me in for the "likes IBO" camp.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

The fights being over quickly is the point. They aren't gentlemanly duels, even when some characters want them to be. They're fast and brutal and end with someone horribly killed, no honor or fairness involved.

That isn't very interesting tho.

If it had some grand point to make sure but it really doesn't.

This line sums of the whole show for me btw.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's helps contrast how out of touch gjallahorn was, who was all about knights and poo poo, while being completely oblivious to the real world and the people they rule.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah I also liked the combat in the early episodes for how brutal it was. It's a shane that they just couldn't keep that feeling going, and it just became bland as time went on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

It's helps contrast how out of touch gjallahorn was, who was all about knights and poo poo, while being completely oblivious to the real world and the people they rule.

Eh, it also happened with the space pirates and Teiwaz did better only because Mika was explicitly launching in a crippled suit. Beyond a certain point it gets tiring to hear "the protagonists are winning because everyone else is inept!" I didn't mind it early on (I legit like the Crank duel a lot and the followup that is the Karta 'duel") but it needs variety.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's nice I guess? Though gallerhorn seems to fight exactly how everyone not named Mika fight so.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think the fights being over quickly and so brutal really works with the show. It makes it seem more real with how fatal it is but the impact still plays up the melodrama.

Though i do agree that its undermine by how many characters feel like they have plot armor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't know quite what you mean by grand point, but the refined, aristocratic ruling class being taken completely surprised by the brutality and desperation of the people hosed over by their system is certainly a theme that extends outside just the fight scenes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Another issue I have is man gallerhorn never feels like a real threat.

I am sure the season finale will have them do something but it is to little to late.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want them to air Gundam Thunderbolt as a movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't know quite what you mean by grand point, but the refined, aristocratic ruling class being taken completely surprised by the brutality and desperation of the people hosed over by their system is certainly a theme that extends outside just the fight scenes.

This is part of my problem with it to be honest though.

Tekkadan in S1 very rarely wins because they're brutal and desperate and pulling tricks nobody thinks of. They win because Mika has a super robot, more whiskers than everyone, and is basically an unstoppable killing machine who way-outskills and outpowers almost everyone on the field. Even in the final duel where Mika is finally pushed he doesn't outthink or outwit his opponent, just pushes his robot so hard it injures himself.

I guess to me my problem is that Mika, as stated, should be the equivalent of the guy who wins a fight because he throws dirt in your face and then kicks you in the balls and instead he wins fights because he's (metaphorically) the biggest, toughest, best guy on the field and everyone else is a kindergardner either metaphorically or literally. He kind of does this once or twice (not waiting for his opponents to get back into his robot, which is why I liked that fight a lot) but otherwise he's just... better than his opponents to the point he doesn't need to be clever or brutal, he's just faster and stronger.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want them to air Gundam Thunderbolt as a movie

Yes, but only after build fighter blocks. Make the whiplash strong.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's cool how they use guns and axes instead of beams everywhere, that's about the only thing I like without reservation in IBO

Edit: mech designs are also good

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Actually,IBO is bad and you should feel bad.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RentACop posted:

It's cool how they use guns and axes instead of beams everywhere, that's about the only thing I like without reservation in IBO

Edit: mech designs are also good

I like IBO's mecha designs a lot. A whoooole lot. Frankly my favorite actual Gundam units in a long time. (Though I liked most of G-Reco's units period.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Honestly CharlestheHammer is actually just listing all of the reasons I stopped following IBO, too, so

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This is part of my problem with it to be honest though.

Tekkadan in S1 very rarely wins because they're brutal and desperate and pulling tricks nobody thinks of. They win because Mika has a super robot, more whiskers than everyone, and is basically an unstoppable killing machine who way-outskills and outpowers almost everyone on the field. Even in the final duel where Mika is finally pushed he doesn't outthink or outwit his opponent, just pushes his robot so hard it injures himself.

I guess to me my problem is that Mika, as stated, should be the equivalent of the guy who wins a fight because he throws dirt in your face and then kicks you in the balls and instead he wins fights because he's (metaphorically) the biggest, toughest, best guy on the field and everyone else is a kindergardner either metaphorically or literally. He kind of does this once or twice (not waiting for his opponents to get back into his robot, which is why I liked that fight a lot) but otherwise he's just... better than his opponents to the point he doesn't need to be clever or brutal, he's just faster and stronger.

Mind you, you could also argue that Mika being this unstoppable monster is also part of the show's themes. He's the incarnation of the nightmare beneath the surface of the world, the deadly energies unleashed by the Calamity War and buried by Gjallarhorn. As they decay and lose their grip on the solar system, their increasingly poor and desperate subjects begin to find new value in the powers they tried to banish, until one day you have someone angry and fanatical enough to subject themselves to three doses of dangerous, forgotten cybernetic surgery with a 6/10 survival rate (that's a 21.6% survival rate for all three), hook their brain up to an eighteen-metre-tall war machine that gives them miniature strokes through information overload, and carve a swathe through a solar system that's tried to forget all that. From this perspective, it makes sense that the poor and downtrodden would have the most chance at access to the seriously lethal poo poo - if society was working properly where they are, it would all be safely locked away, and nobody would be desperate or stupid enough to do the horrible things to themselves that would require them to get the most out of it. A stable, peaceful world has no need of or desire for something like the Alaya-Vijnana System.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I would like IBO a lot more if Kudelia was half as effective as Lacus Clyne.