Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

How'd you get 2x4s that long perfectly square for a flat benchtop?

Im guessing the pile of shavings in the background has something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

NPR Journalizard posted:

More specifically.. did you have to plane the long and short sides, or just the short sides?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Blistex posted:

Are they really 2"x4"?

lol

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hey, that's exactly my next project! Did you use Home Depot grade construction lumber? I'm planning to hit the lumber yard to see what they have for southern yellow pine.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

NPR Journalizard posted:

An unbelievable amount of shavings, yes.

Gounads posted:

More specifically.. did you have to plane the long and short sides, or just the short sides?

If I'm understanding you right, I did the "long" sides so that they'd glue together cleanly and then did all the "short" sides once the glue had dried and they were the "tops" and "bottoms" of the benchtop. It wasn't so bad.

ColdPie posted:

Hey, that's exactly my next project! Did you use Home Depot grade construction lumber? I'm planning to hit the lumber yard to see what they have for southern yellow pine.

Yep, it wasn't home depot but it was a home improvement chain in the midwest and they actually had much better / less warped studs than the local store that does lumber only. The difference was astonishing.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Are you familiar with Gluelams? I "built" my bench with a short-cut of one of those and it's 6" thick.

If that's a new term to you, I hope it's not a tragic discovery. Looks like a nice lifer of a bench, worth the effort.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I recently finished my keezer with a box of birch plywood. I'm trying to decide what to do with it, either stain or paint. Any type of stain to avoid with birch plywood?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm calling this done, I am an expert at 2x4s ask me anything.

How'd you go about mounting that vise? I have a Nicholson-style bench with an apron and I'm a bit lost as to how to go about it. Did you just cut out a section from the apron?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm calling this done, I am an expert at 2x4s ask me anything.

Where's the broom?!

Seriously though, nice work. I'm glad to see you didn't recess the inner vice jaw to be flush with the apron. I put my vice closer to the leg for a little more support when chopping things. Mine is a little under 6 feet long so I wanted all the room to the right of it that I could get too.

Is there a finish on it or is it just shiny from the planing? I haven't put anything on mine yet but I did spill some shellac on one end that looks decent now.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

How'd you go about mounting that vise? I have a Nicholson-style bench with an apron and I'm a bit lost as to how to go about it. Did you just cut out a section from the apron?

You have to cut a hole in the apron to slide the vice in, then it bolts to the underside of the top slab. It can be a little tricky to do since they're so loving heavy.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there a good resource on finding a good vice hardware kit or is it just 'as much as you can afford in the style you like'?

Are you looking for a full vice like a Record-style quick-release or just the metal pieces to do a leg/shoulder/tail vise? I think Benchcrafted is the cadillac for the latter, with Veritas being good quality but a little cheaper. You'll probably have to look around for reviews from woodworkers you trust to evaluate them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Cobalt60 posted:

Are you familiar with Gluelams? I "built" my bench with a short-cut of one of those and it's 6" thick.

If that's a new term to you, I hope it's not a tragic discovery. Looks like a nice lifer of a bench, worth the effort.

Where'd you get them? Did you use factory dropoffs?

calandryll posted:

I recently finished my keezer with a box of birch plywood. I'm trying to decide what to do with it, either stain or paint. Any type of stain to avoid with birch plywood?

Birch is cool with anything I've slapped on it, but that's far from lab testing it. It's a very even grain, is what I'm saying, shouldn't give you any issue unless you've got glue runouts.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Where's the broom?!

Seriously though, nice work. I'm glad to see you didn't recess the inner vice jaw to be flush with the apron. I put my vice closer to the leg for a little more support when chopping things. Mine is a little under 6 feet long so I wanted all the room to the right of it that I could get too.

Is there a finish on it or is it just shiny from the planing? I haven't put anything on mine yet but I did spill some shellac on one end that looks decent

No finish, it's just from the planing and being directly under a LED bulb. I don't think I'll put anything on it either since it's already gotten dinged a couple of times already. I think I'm going to try and make a picture frame next.

quote:

You have to cut a hole in the apron to slide the vice in, then it bolts to the underside of the top slab. It can be a little tricky to do since they're so loving heavy.

Flipping the whole bench on it's side helped a lot, the problem is that then you have to flip it back.

Cobalt60 posted:

That seems like cheating. :)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Seriously though, nice work. I'm glad to see you didn't recess the inner vice jaw to be flush with the apron.

What the hell is this? Why even have an apron if you can't clamp things flush to it?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GEMorris posted:

What the hell is this? Why even have an apron if you can't clamp things flush to it?

I was just reading a Paul Sellers blog entry on vises covering this very topic.

https://paulsellers.com/2014/01/flush-vises/

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

GEMorris posted:

The apron keeps the legs from racking in this design. Also I don't know that clamping to the edge would get me anything, from my limited use it holds 3 8 foot 2x4s glued together securely enough to hand plane them.

But then I have nothing to compare it to so ymmv.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
You can't hear me, but I'm singing the theme song for Diff'rent Strokes, like, really freaking loudly.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Woodworking Megathread: Benchwars

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
In something not at all bench related, and more in the vein of "babby's first wood project": I make a present for my kid's one-year birthday.

It's no great shakes, but it was a fun learning experience, and an excuse to buy some new tools (and motivation to about what to get next). Some key lessons/experiences:

- Holy poo poo, maple is way harder than pine. Cutting those wheels with a 4" hole saw was a nightmare, and would have been way easier with a drill press.
- Drilling straight (like, *really* straight) holes by hand is really hard! Even minor misalignments for things like the holes for the handles became a problem. A drill press would have made this a lot easier.
- Forstner bits are really cool! I'd never used one before. All the curley little wood shavings make me see the sort of visceral appeal of hand planing things.
- But god they like to walk around a lot. This would have been way easier with a drill press.
- Definitely do the insets with the forstner bit before drilling through the piece so the center has something to grab.
- Routers are a ton of fun!
- Does anyone have general advice for avoiding tear-out? I took to climb-cutting the far edges first which seemed to work well, not sure if that's best practices or not though.
- Only really got one bad scorch mark (which surprised me -- didn't think the bit was getting that hot).
- First attempt at any "real" joinery (i.e. something that didn't involve screws). The joints are ugly as hell and I filled bigger gaps than I'd care to admit with some shavings and wood glue, but even still it was pretty gratifying. I am beginning to get the appeal.
- Make sure you account for blade kerf when cutting your pieces, so you don't get halfway through the project and realize the markings you measured and cut from the end of the two sides aren't mismatched by 1/8" :downs:
- Shellac is fun and easy (relatively speaking) and looks really nice for a simple natural wood look. I did a coat, two coats, then sanded it to 400/600/800 and wiped it down with alcohol. Shined up very nicely, and took very little time due to how quickly shellac cures.
- I don't quite understand how shellac is used to "seal" wood before staining, though. It seems like it would just put a barrier between the stain and the wood, keeping it from absorbing at all?
- I also did some experimenting with "staining" the wood using food coloring thinned with rubbing alcohol (trying to stay baby safe). I got really vibrant results, but decided I liked the natural look better. I may make him a set of blocks out of some scrap using that as a dye, though.

Anyways, It is covered to hell and back with all sorts of apprentice marks, but fortunately he doesn't seem to mind

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Holy poo poo that is turbo stupid. The historic record clearly shows vises flush mount to the front edge of the bench. To say the only point of the apron on an English workbench is to prevent racking is comical.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

GEMorris posted:

Holy poo poo that is turbo stupid. The historic record clearly shows vises flush mount to the front edge of the bench. To say the only point of the apron on an English workbench is to prevent racking is comical.

Hot take: nobody cares, and constantly being a dick in this thread about things you don't like is tiring for us all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hypnolobster posted:

Hot take: nobody cares, and constantly being a dick in this thread about things you don't like is tiring for us all.

Actually, it's great and hilarious reading and I, for one get a hoot out of it.

edit- can I get an Amen :bahgawd:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That Sellers post is probably the best example of why I think he's a source of misinformation (or at a minimum "unhelpful" information). He claims a historical support of his practices but provides no backing evidence, but that's really a minor point.

The main one is that He's consistently the perfect example of the skilled side of the Dunning Krueger effect, his considerable talents let him overcome poor choices, and he uses the fact that he can overcome them as "proof" that the choices weren't poor. Meanwhile some new woodworkers follows his advice and wonders why things are so difficult and don't turn out well.

In that post he basically says "mounting the vise flush is too much work" and then uses the rest of the post to show how much work he has to do to overcome the limitations of not flush mounting it. Who the hell needs their hand between the board and the bench when clamping in a face vise? Like why would you ever need to do that?

His whole rant on marking knives is another example of this.

Edit: every single image I can find of an antique English workbench or an engraving of an image of an English workbench has the vise flush mounted like so

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 1, 2016

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

GEMorris posted:

That Sellers post is probably the best example of why I think he's a source of misinformation (or at a minimum "unhelpful" information). He claims a historical support of his practices but provides no backing evidence, but that's really a minor point. He's the perfect example of the skilled side of the Dunning Krueger effect, his considerable talents let him overcome poor choices, and he uses the fact that he can overcome them as "proof" that the choices weren't poor. Meanwhile some new woodworkers follows his advice and wonders why things are so difficult and don't turn out well.

As a person who followed his bench videos I gotta say that rings true. Like maybe he can do absolutely everything with a #4 plane but I sure as hell couldn't. He can also flawlessly sharpen everything he has freehand, I've found that to be nearly impossible. The difficulty I had with mortise holes has me wondering if his whole "All you need is one set of normal chisels" is also true only if you've been doing it for 1000 years.

It's obvious all that poo poo worked for him but I gotta say he seems to miss his audience a lot of the times. He presents his stuff as "anyone can do this if you just do what I do" but some of what he does seems to be made more difficult than it has to be.

I've been contemplating making some kind of video documenting the difference between what he presents and the reality of what actually worked for me just as a way of letting other people know that some of his stuff isn't beginner friendly / realistic for a novice.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tres Burritos posted:

As a person who followed his bench videos I gotta say that rings true. Like maybe he can do absolutely everything with a #4 plane but I sure as hell couldn't. He can also flawlessly sharpen everything he has freehand, I've found that to be nearly impossible. The difficulty I had with mortise holes has me wondering if his whole "All you need is one set of normal chisels" is also true only if you've been doing it for 1000 years.

It's obvious all that poo poo worked for him but I gotta say he seems to miss his audience a lot of the times. He presents his stuff as "anyone can do this if you just do what I do" but some of what he does seems to be made more difficult than it has to be.

I've been contemplating making some kind of video documenting the difference between what he presents and the reality of what actually worked for me just as a way of letting other people know that some of his stuff isn't beginner friendly / realistic for a novice.

I tell ya he was my first foray into handtool woodworking but these days I want to gnaw my own liver when he does a couple perfunctory passes with a smoothing plane and declares a board "perfectly square"

At least Roy Underhill fucks up constantly and then shows you how to fix it.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

That seems like cheating. :)

totally

(sadism is a hell of a drug, man)

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
My fingers are black and blue from all the times I've clamped them with my flush front vice. I guess it's a small price to pay.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

My fingers are black and blue from all the times I've clamped them with my flush front vice. I guess it's a small price to pay.

Like, how? Why aren't you holding the board from the top or if it's small from the ends?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

After using bench chisels for a few months, I finally got a real mortising chisel and it's so much faster and the edges turn out way cleaner. Bench chisels made the mortise wider than I intended to varying degrees because they would twist in the mortise. The mortising chisel just cleans the fucker straight out.

That said, I do sharpen freehand and it works fine.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ColdPie posted:

After using bench chisels for a few months, I finally got a real mortising chisel and it's so much faster and the edges turn out way cleaner. Bench chisels made the mortise wider than I intended to varying degrees because they would twist in the mortise. The mortising chisel just cleans the fucker straight out.

That said, I do sharpen freehand and it works fine.

I'm sort of tempted to try freehand sharpening again, but it took so much effort to un-gently caress everything the last time that I can't bring myself to do it yet.

Also, recommendations for mortise chisels?

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

GEMorris posted:

Like, how? Why aren't you holding the board from the top or if it's small from the ends?

Never thought of that. A new skill to add to my repertoire.

I'll stop shitposting now, I'm making some good progress on my bookshelf thingie. Pretty much done the joinery, just some drawer slides and drawers, then I can make it pretty. I've got the walnut for the drawer fronts behind it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I'll stop shitposting now, I'm making some good progress on my bookshelf thingie. Pretty much done the joinery, just some drawer slides and drawers, then I can make it pretty. I've got the walnut for the drawer fronts behind it.

Dude this is looking really great.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Tres Burritos posted:

I'm sort of tempted to try freehand sharpening again, but it took so much effort to un-gently caress everything the last time that I can't bring myself to do it yet.

I picked up a 3/8 and 3/4 Sorby chisel which does a pretty great job all told. The blade geometry is alright, even though I accidentally sharpened a skew into the edge.

Question:

Project Workbench is going ok, nearly have all the joinery done for the base, but I've decided that I want to hang a couple of drawers underneath. Problem is, I'm not 100% sure how I should hang the carcass from the frame.

I was thinking of slotting a board into a couple of dados cut into the inside of the legs and maybe screwing the other side into the benchtop from underneath. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to retrofit something like that into the bench.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I'd highly recommend against drawers under any area where you might need to put holdfasts. Generally the right end of the bench (if you are right handed) is the safest place to put a drawer so that it wont interfere.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

GEMorris posted:

Dude this is looking really great.

Thank you.

Skippy Granola posted:

I picked up a 3/8 and 3/4 Sorby chisel which does a pretty great job all told. The blade geometry is alright, even though I accidentally sharpened a skew into the edge.

Question:

Project Workbench is going ok, nearly have all the joinery done for the base, but I've decided that I want to hang a couple of drawers underneath. Problem is, I'm not 100% sure how I should hang the carcass from the frame.

I was thinking of slotting a board into a couple of dados cut into the inside of the legs and maybe screwing the other side into the benchtop from underneath. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to retrofit something like that into the bench.

Is there a lower stretcher? my bench drawers are screwed into the lower stretcher, I also have about a 9" gap between the bench top and the top of the drawers for room for holdfasts.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

What made you think your freehand sharpening was hosed?

I bought a 5/16 Ray Iles chisel off ebay for $70 shipped. Kinda pricey, but I understand you only need one for the vast majority of joints. Anything it doesn't work for, I can just use a bench chisel.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

ColdPie posted:

What made you think your freehand sharpening was hosed?

I bought a 5/16 Ray Iles chisel off ebay for $70 shipped. Kinda pricey, but I understand you only need one for the vast majority of joints. Anything it doesn't work for, I can just use a bench chisel.

I just really screwed up some of my edges and had to do quite a bit of work to fix them. I think my issue was that i was increasing the angle on the back stroke, making everything have a sort of rounded over nub edge.

I think.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Get a sharpening aid for the front face. Richard Kell has some that work on a wide variety of tools. Not only does it add consistency, it makes it faster if you aren't a pro.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Fill it with random wood blocks, get a refrigerator cardboard box, and you are done son for about 10 years. In a couple years add a dump truck for variety.

GEMorris posted:

...engraving of an image of an English workbench has the vise flush mounted like so

Engraving doesn't count, not real pic. Actually what's cool are the half dovetails holding the apron, because I guess they didn't have deck screws.

Here is a proper bench by real woodworkers.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_laeoE81fOuI/TU2u6Vwhj8I/AAAAAAAACSM/1WCTAxZXddw/s1600/More%2BHancock_1.jpg

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Oh poo poo whaddup that will fit nicely in my kitchen it has good storage for pots and pans.

You know shakers were basically cultists right?

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
They put cabinets and drawers under it. Don't they know that is wrong(tm)?