Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

They put cabinets and drawers under it. Don't they know that is wrong(tm)?

I mean it's certainly worse for some things and better for others!

Don't need a tool chest: check!
Have difficulty using holdfasts: check!

Please note that face vise is flush as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Corky Romanovsky posted:

They put cabinets and drawers under it.

And dog holes :fork:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I was wondering last night before I went to bed if I would get to see another GEMorris Meltdown (tm) or not when I woke up.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

wormil posted:

Fill it with random wood blocks, get a refrigerator cardboard box, and you are done son for about 10 years. In a couple years add a dump truck for variety.

Is 10 when I am supposed to build him his first workbench?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

wormil posted:

Just for the record I have nothing against tail vises and dog holes, I have this stuff on my own bench. My only advice in this realm is for people to give working with holdfasts and does feet a try before they go to the expense and effort to do the whole tail vise and dog hole thing. I have found that I don't use mine anymore and personally I wish it and the dog holes weren't even on my bench.

I do realize that if you are committing to square dog holes you have to make that decision before you would finish your bench.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

GEMorris posted:

Just for the record I have nothing against tail vises and dog holes, I have this stuff on my own bench. My only advice in this realm is for people to give working with holdfasts and does feet a try before they go to the expense and effort to do the whole tail vise and dog hole thing. I have found that I don't use mine anymore and personally I wish it and the dog holes weren't even on my bench.

I do realize that if you are committing to square dog holes you have to make that decision before you would finish your bench.

In other words, don't let the tail vise wag the dog hole

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

wormil posted:

Did I do this right? Sorry, it's my first work bench!!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hubis posted:

Is 10 when I am supposed to build him his first workbench?

Then he can build something from the wood blocks, or makes his own wood blocks!

Mr. Mambold posted:

In other words, don't let the tail vise wag the dog hole

Sounds like an episode of The Woodwright's Shop

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

GEMorris posted:

My only advice in this realm is for people to give working with holdfasts and does feet a try

So is following this recommended? Is it as easy as "drill some holes and then put some stakes through them" or is there some nuance that I'm missing? Also what's the best bang / buck for holdfasts? Do you want to blow 80 bucks on one of them?

... maybe I'm not done with the bench.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Tres Burritos posted:

So is following this recommended? Is it as easy as "drill some holes and then put some stakes through them" or is there some nuance that I'm missing? Also what's the best bang / buck for holdfasts? Do you want to blow 80 bucks on one of them?

... maybe I'm not done with the bench.

So the best bang for the buck is the gramercy tools holdfasts, get a pair. If you don't have a face vise then I'd get three.

Yes that article is what I would follow if I was doing it again today. This is by the same author and might be helpful

This may be helpful when it comes to drilling the holes

Check here for some info on using holdfasts

And here is some info on the doe's foot appliance

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Speaking of workbenches, anyone here built a sawhorse they really like for sheet goods and general carpentry? I'm leaning towards the I-beam design because it's simple. But I was thinking of making it a little shorter, seems like that would make working with sheet goods a little easier.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

Speaking of workbenches, anyone here built a sawhorse they really like for sheet goods and general carpentry? I'm leaning towards the I-beam design because it's simple. But I was thinking of making it a little shorter, seems like that would make working with sheet goods a little easier.

Nothing I built was ever as convenient and cba as those black plastic foldup thingys. I was given some of the ultra lightweight galvanized ones, but they're lovely, and that's why they were free.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Mr. Mambold posted:

Nothing I built was ever as convenient and cba as those black plastic foldup thingys. I was given some of the ultra lightweight galvanized ones, but they're lovely, and that's why they were free.
Speaking of poo poo sawhorses, no one buy these yellow abortions.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-38-in-Steel-Saw-Horse-1-200-lb-Weight-Capacity/3488679

They are a gigantic pain in the rear end to adjust and are not at all stable.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

wormil posted:

The I-beam is by far my favorite. They stack nicely, and are cheap/fast to build. I've still never flipped the beam around to get a new 2x4 surface on mine at home or at work. They're probably not the absolute strongest without any leg braces, but definitely still plenty strong.

I'd recommend gluing on the beam top and bottom and deeply countersinking screws instead of just jamming them in. It's nice being able to cut into the beam with abandon and not find any screws accidentally.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have a 1 car garage so I made some collapsing ones with gate hinges and they wanted to collapse all the time. Now I have those yellow folding ones from Lowe's that I got for the height but I just use them to make a temporary table out front because I can't really lean on them.

I'm interested in the folding plastic ones because that is almost saw bench height for me but if I had the space to store a stack, I'd make a bunch of diresta horses.
https://youtu.be/YYBcQgLMjK8

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Whatever brand of folding plastic sawhorses I have are total garbage. The bracing between the legs is a big flat piece that folds in half when the thing is collapsed flat for storage but the hinge they use to make it fold is awful, it's just plastic on plastic and refuses to hold together properly without tons of fiddling. I think once it's together and flattened out it might be ok but it's a nightmare to transition them between standing and folded. I think I used them for my very first project and then maybe once or twice since then when I'm really hard up for a stand of some sort.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

bred posted:

I'd make a bunch of diresta horses.
https://youtu.be/YYBcQgLMjK8

I was going to make those but saw the video of the guy who made those and woodgears. The problem he had with Diresta's is they would tip if he slid sheet goods around, changed my mind on it.

I might make mine from treated so I can leave them outside; or I might leave them outside anyway.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Parts Kit posted:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-38-in-Steel-Saw-Horse-1-200-lb-Weight-Capacity/3488679

I have ones similar to these and loving hate them. Mine are rock solid once assembled and they break down really small which is nice, but setting them up every time I need them gets old really fast. If they had some sort of quick release pin rather than 4 wing nuts per sawhorse I think they would be a good balance.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

wormil posted:

I was going to make those but saw the video of the guy who made those and woodgears. The problem he had with Diresta's is they would tip if he slid sheet goods around, changed my mind on it.

I might make mine from treated so I can leave them outside; or I might leave them outside anyway.

Just a thought on those, could you put little feet that sat on the outside of the legs ( still stackable) to give it some stability?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I'm no pro but these have been really useful. Solid, break down fast and small. They have like skateboard grip tape on the top, and brackets on the side to hold 2x or 4x4s to make a frame for a work table type setup. The grip tape holds sheet goods well, and if I want to slide stuff around and/or make a pretty solid table I throw a 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 ply on there. After years of using various terrible $3 folding pieces of poo poo a pair of these was worth way more than $100 to me. A perfect place to cut multiple sheets of plywood into 4" strips for my French cleat garage track system.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Parts Kit posted:

I regret this purchase too. I was in an home with no garage and limited space. They're pigs and the wing nuts are tedious.

I got a steal on a Rockwell Jawhorse that while equally being ridiculously heavy is an amazing tool. I need to buy the BenchJaw (vise) version soon before they disappear.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Squibbles posted:

Whatever brand of folding plastic sawhorses I have are total garbage. The bracing between the legs is a big flat piece that folds in half when the thing is collapsed flat for storage but the hinge they use to make it fold is awful, it's just plastic on plastic and refuses to hold together properly without tons of fiddling. I think once it's together and flattened out it might be ok but it's a nightmare to transition them between standing and folded. I think I used them for my very first project and then maybe once or twice since then when I'm really hard up for a stand of some sort.

I have a set just like that, the Lowes blue hawk brand. They're garbage!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ptier posted:

Just a thought on those, could you put little feet that sat on the outside of the legs ( still stackable) to give it some stability?

I suspect the issue is weight. Both have about the same splay and are similar in shape, the only significant difference is mass.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Squibbles posted:

Black legs, yellow tops? I've got those, and yeah, they are awful. I've considered somehow threading a metal rod through the hinges to keep them together, but never got around to it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
I wish Gorilla Ladders would build a sawhorse that folds and has a locking mechanism similar to their Aluminum Slim Fold Platform product. That thing is rock solid.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have four of the lightweight folding Stanley (basically identical to the Blue Hawk, but I've never had hinge issues on these) ones that replaced four of the super-flimsy Horrid Freight sawhorses. They're not perfect, but they are very portable and store in a much smaller space than my wood ones.

My wood ones are basically this. They've survived since at least the 80s, when they were built by either my grandfather or uncle and I pulled them out of my parents' garage several years ago.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

wormil posted:

I suspect the issue is weight. Both have about the same splay and are similar in shape, the only significant difference is mass.

That makes complete sense. They did seem a little small / light to me for what I normally throw onto saw horses ( heavily moving around awkward poo poo)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Slugworth posted:

Black legs, yellow tops? I've got those, and yeah, they are awful. I've considered somehow threading a metal rod through the hinges to keep them together, but never got around to it.

I think they are all black with some yellow highlights or something but yeah, just awful. I think they were well reviewed on Amazon too

Edit: these Stanley ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...U6NL&ref=plSrch

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 3, 2016

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The DeWalt 735x is currently $499 at Amazon, which is the lowest I've ever seen it aside from a "clearance" at Lowe's once.

Apparently there is a second offer as I got an extra $25 off from DeWalt at checkout.

If you need a bench top planer this one comes highly recommended and this is probably the best price you'll see.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have that one and am very happy with it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Agreed, I've got one as well and it's been really good. It's a lunchbox planer on lots of steroids. I'm about a year in with consistent hobby use and a couple much larger jobs and I'm on the second side of the original knives.

I've found that between being able to shift the knives laterally and them being able to take one very light sharpening, I can get a pretty drat long life out of each side.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the smaller lunchbox planer they have is okay, my father has that one, but the one above is significantly better in a number of ways, I don't regret the extra $$ I put down on it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looking for a corded worm drive circ saw to put on my panel rig. Hoping not to spend too much past $200, and dust collection is a must, which seems to be lacking in everything I'm seeing so far. Whatup with that? Any recommendations?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Ordered a miter saw from CPO, came damaged, they sent me another and it's damaged too. I'm aggravated. They shipped them in flimsy boxes with very little packing. It was a really good deal or I would just ask for my money back, $150 for a 12" dual bevel Hitachi.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Went to the local Ren Faire today, the SCA tent had a wood shop set up where the guy was showing off and displaying a really awesome collection of tools:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Long time no project, but I finally got something else done, even if it took me way too long. Brother in law showed me some bench out of wakeboards and asked if I could make one. Looked simple enough...so I made it less simple and screwed up a lot on it :downs:. Basically just a bunch of half laps and angled cuts which I've never tried before. Also Douglas fir 4x4s I guess, I've basically just worked with thinner/smaller poplar or plywood sheets before.

Rest of the Imgur album

Both legs are the same, but were meant to be mirrored, before that notch at the top which started as a mistake cut meant for the other end of that piece. Made that mistake on another piece and just left it, cause I pretty much used all the wood we bought for the project (I think we got two 8' 4x4s cut down to 32" pieces to fit in the car). I saw a few pages ago someone mention Douglas fir splintering and stuff...and yeah, wish I knew about that earlier :argh:

Some pics of how the legs go together, gluing these on the first leg was fun with all the fitment issues and forgetting how to get it all together. There's a lot of sawdust and glue and scrap pieces of wood filling the gaps. But eh it's solid so I can't complain I guess. I originally planned on no horizontal cross piece there along with some dowels at the joints, but figured the former might be necessary while the latter would've probably just ended up purely as a cosmetic touch.

Getting the boards secured was a bit of an adventure too, tried going with threaded nut inserts but I just hosed up the alignment. Went with the little blocks on the side and that...more or less works. Need to get some shims or something to stabilize the boards though. Otherwise still working on some shellacking and sanding, hopefully the glue stains don't look too horrible in the end.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Super Waffle posted:

Went to the local Ren Faire today, the SCA tent had a wood shop set up where the guy was showing off and displaying a really awesome collection of tools:

:stare::fh:

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Trying to identify some wood. We had a tree that was pretty much dead when we moved in. I think it put out about 5 leaves last spring. Wind took care of it the other day and now I've got some large pieces. I'm curious to see what it is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Could be maple, but what did the leaves look like? That's always the best identifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Unfortunately, since it only put out a handful that died pretty quickly in the spring we didn't get a good look. But I think it was mapleish looking. Was hoping to be able to id it from the bark and wood. All I know was that poo poo was heavy to move, trunk was about 24-26" in diameter.