Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azran posted:

I never watched G Gundam but I was under the impression Sai was a girl :downs:

Sai Saici? Isn't that a girl's name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Azran posted:

I did and was still under that impression as a kid. :v:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Azran posted:

He was probably voiced by a woman, child characters usually are.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Azran posted:

I'm pretty sure in one of the audio dramas the cast is watching a stage play or movie dramatization of the series and Sai Saici is whining about being replaced with a girl. It actually might be him being replaced with Raine all together, I forget.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Azran posted:

Go watch G Gundam.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

He was probably voiced by a woman, child characters usually are.

Surprisingly enough, only in the dub. The original version has him voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi.

Also I was entirely sure he was a girl until I actually watched the show. Yamaguchi's voice is very much not feminine at all, so that snapped me out of it. I was kinda sad all the protagonists were male but then Allenby joined and Rain proved herself a gigantic badass so it was fine in the end. Far better than most Gundam shows.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Surprisingly enough, only in the dub. The original version has him voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi.

Also I was entirely sure he was a girl until I actually watched the show. Yamaguchi's voice is very much not feminine at all, so that snapped me out of it. I was kinda sad all the protagonists were male but then Allenby joined and Rain proved herself a gigantic badass so it was fine in the end. Far better than most Gundam shows.

I say this every time it comes up, but if you haven't you should check out the director's other shows. Giant Robo: The day the earth stood still in particular.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just watched the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam. Getting sick to my stomach about the idea of living in space is a natural reaction to watching a Zaku blow a hole through the side of the colony, right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Star Man posted:

I just watched the first episode of Mobile Suit Gundam. Getting sick to my stomach about the idea of living in space is a natural reaction to watching a Zaku blow a hole through the side of the colony, right?

Maybe, if your soul is bound by gravity.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Star Man posted:

What about the one Amuro accidentally opens by hitting the nuclear reactor on the Zaku?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thats... the first episode of MSG?

...right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Man posted:

Here's a fun fact:

In the backstory of Mobile Suit Gundam Zeon invades a colony and inserts deadly gas into its air circulation systems, murdering everyone inside who isn't in a safe spacesuit with absolutely no possible way to escape.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

And, because an absurd number of organizations in the UC are batshit evil and/or insane, the Titans gas another colony 6 years later.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Lord Koth posted:

And, because an absurd number of organizations in the UC are batshit evil and/or insane, the Titans gas another colony 6 years later.

The spacenoids showed them how it's done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ImpAtom posted:

Here's a fun fact:

In the backstory of Mobile Suit Gundam Zeon invades a colony and inserts deadly gas into its air circulation systems, murdering everyone inside who isn't in a safe spacesuit with absolutely no possible way to escape.

To elaborate on this: half the population of humanity died within a month. That opening "Initial fighting lasted over one month and saw both sides lose half their respective populations" is the sum total of humanity. Only one colony cluster stayed neutral during the war, and the others were all attacked at some point.

If you would like a visual reference.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 13, 2016

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

"Fun" trivia: it was Cima Garahau in the Zaku I and as her superior officers told her squad that G-3 was a sedative and not a nerve agent, her being coerced into committing a war crime in the name of Zeon was a huge factor in her deciding to screw over Delaz in 0083.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC that colony was also the home of Shiro Amada from The 08th MS Team.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

3 posted:

"Fun" trivia: it was Cima Garahau in the Zaku I and as her superior officers told her squad that G-3 was a sedative and not a nerve agent, her being coerced into committing a war crime in the name of Zeon was a huge factor in her deciding to screw over Delaz in 0083.

I love how that is never actually explained in 0083 so it seems like Cima betrays Delaz for no reason.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
War is hell.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Begemot posted:

I love how that is never actually explained in 0083 so it seems like Cima betrays Delaz for no reason.

To be fair "He's a loving Gihren sympathizer" is a drat good reason to shank someone in the back.

Cima got a raw deal.

At least Fieseler got out okay. Comes, I suppose, from not letting an idiot like Kou get in the middle of your complicated political games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This is why I want a Hollywood Gundam trilogy. Imagine a bunch of people squeezed in the theater, expecting another Star Trek Reboot, and then the movie starts with half of humanity getting wiped out in brutal war crimes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
But we already have G-Saviour.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Belzac posted:

But we already have G-Saviour.

That's not how you spell The War For Earth

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

3 posted:

I actually really like Cima, because she's one of the few Zeon officers who ends up disillusioned and loses faith in the Zeon ideals after seeing the realities of the One Year War.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I actually really like Cima, because she's one of the few Zeon officers who ends up disillusioned and loses faith in the Zeon ideals after seeing the realities of the One Year War.

Have you read "The Plot to Assassinate Gihren"?

Because it's good, and it sounds like what you want. I mean, they aren't as disillusioned as Cima, since they still like the whole "Newtypes! Souls not bound by gravity! Zeon Zum Deikun!" side of the balance, but they do plot treason from disillusionment with the "Colony drops! Mass genocide! Gihren Zabi!" part of things.

Not many mobile suit fights, but they're pretty solid when they come. And it's the one time I've seen someone say "Sieg Zeon" and wanted to cheer in the non-bronx style.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is good. I wish it'd get an animated adaptation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Begemot posted:

I am pretty sure there is a cut clip of this where Cima has a dream flashback whilst chilling in her own ship for Stardust Memories?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Yeah, The Plot to Assassinate Gihren is good. I wish it'd get an animated adaptation.

:agreed:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

SeanBeansShako posted:

I am pretty sure there is a cut clip of this where Cima has a dream flashback whilst chilling in her own ship for Stardust Memories?

I seem to remember some kind of extras on the 0083 dvds dealing with cima's past, but it's been probably 12 years since I've had them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was an audio drama, but they did actually include it in the US dvd release.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

While we're talking about fun UC stuff, I just watched Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky out of curiosity (watched the episodes as they got released) and the sequence they put in at the end of the film got me wondering: what the heck is this? It has hands that detach and shoot lasers!

wolfs fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 14, 2016

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

rincewind101 posted:

While we're talking about fun UC stuff, I just watched Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky out of curiosity (watched the episodes as they got released) and the sequence they put in at the end of the film got me wondering: what the heck is this? It has hands that detach and shoot lasers!

I think it's a psychommu prototype High Mobility Zaku II.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

It's a prototype Psycommu Zaku, a testbed unit for the Zeong from the end of the original series.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/MSN-01_Psycommu_Test_High_Mobility_Type_Zaku_II

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's been a while since I've played it so I could be wrong, but either the dream flashback or the actual event where Cima does the gassing should be in one of the Gundam Games. I want to say Encounters in Space?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Airspace posted:

It's been a while since I've played it so I could be wrong, but either the dream flashback or the actual event where Cima does the gassing should be in one of the Gundam Games. I want to say Encounters in Space?

Yeah, Encounters In Space had a Cima-focused thing. It even had an alternate ending where she survives and joins the Federation.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Encounters In Space had a Cima-focused thing. It even had an alternate ending where she survives and joins the Federation.

:unsmith:

Cima is the true protagonist of 0083, the plot is just framed around the guy who murders her for the entirely justified and well-thought-out reason of

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

And then she quits when she realizes the Titans are just about as lovely as Zeon, planning to use her troops for the same kind of dirtywork. Because she cares for her people and has enough battered shreds of morality to assemble into a conscience, more than you can say for most Zeon officers and more than a few of the Feds.

But she died, and Kou and Nina lived.

Ain't no justice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

3 posted:

:unsmith:

Cima is the true protagonist of 0083, the plot is just framed around the guy who murders her for the entirely justified and well-thought-out reason of

See, I don't agree with this. As was stated just a few posts above, none of the things that make Cima interesting are in 0083. Cima isn't an interesting or good character in 0083, she's made one retroactively by supplemental material that came out later.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, I don't think anyone disagrees that Cima would have been cool to lead in 0083 if given the chance, but the reality is that Cima kinda sucks as much as everyone else does in the 0083 we got.

I look at it like the Gihren games and such; a really cool concept that we never got, nor probably will, in the main UC shows.

People just like Zeon too much to see it obviously crappy, I guess.:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, she does almost saved the day only for things to be hosed over by the "heroes". Seriously, without Kou and his crew, she'd have stopped Delaz!