Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Wandering Orange posted:

Might be better suited to the CNC or Blacksmith thread but any recommendations for a $50-100 2MT drill chuck? Should I continue trolling ebay for old Jacobs and buy as many as my budget allows? Seems like I could pick up three or four in various condition and be certain of ending up with at least one decent one?

Jacobs 14N or nothing*. They moved production to china a few years ago and their quality went to poo poo, but the older ones are easy enough to fix and rebuild. New arbors are like $20 so don't be too worried if it comes with the wrong one. Just make sure the jaws aren't too chewed up.

*ok maybe an 11N if it's a small lathe.

e: Don't buy this. :psyduck:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JACOBS-14N-USA-DRILL-CHUCK-R8-BRIDGEPORT-SOUTH-BEND-LATHE-ATLAS-CLAUSING/302144806631

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I actually could use a chuck with an R8 but holy gently caress that is just an abomination for so many reasons.

A pair of Jacobs 14N, couple new 2MT arbors... might be a hair over $100 but that should work.

(2MT on a drill press, R8 on a benchtop mill)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Someone on my Christmas list is getting into scroll saws. Any good gift ideas for a novice scroll sawyer? (Besides more blades)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Someone on my Christmas list is getting into scroll saws. Any good gift ideas for a novice scroll sawyer? (Besides more blades)

Masking tape? To prevent tearout on delicate pieces they're cutting.

Alternatively, if he's into woodworking generally, any kind of kreg jig. Every time I pick up a new one, I'm just completely blown away by how great it is and how easy it's made my projects. I just picked up the shelf pin jig earlier this week, and was just floored by how incredibly useful it was, how quick and easy the project became, and how great it turned out. So much so that I went ahead and bought the crosscut jig and ruler thing because I'm always wishing I had bought the tool years before in retrospect.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I don't know a lot of about scroll sawing but maybe:
- Books on the topic
- Some thin stock (special woods and such that might be nice to make scroll sawed things out of)
- Some different types of blades to experiment with (wider, thinner, those 360 degree ones?)
- Does it have a light on it? If not, maybe some kind of light attachment, I think those can be quite useful.
- Some patterns? Sort of similar to the books idea.
- Any other accessories like a stool or something for sitting at the scroll saw?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieWhiskey posted:

A whole bunch of wood. https://www.amazon.com/12-Baltic-Birch-Plywood-Woodpeckers/dp/B013NT3OAC/

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Noice, thanks gents! These are all awesome ideas!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2002-WK-Oil-Free-Compressor-Accessory/dp/B000N5UHK0

This seems like it's an awesome deal. It's pretty much the same one I posted back in October, but with the tool kit, so it seems like it would be good? Confirm/Deny?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 9, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-C2002-WK-Oil-Free-Compressor-Accessory/dp/B000N5UHK0

This seems like it's an awesome deal. It's pretty much the same one I posted back in October, but with the tool kit, so it seems like it would be good? Confirm/Deny?

I used a Porter-Cable pancake compressor to build my workshop. It's fine, though noisy. That one looks a little different on the "head" of the compressor (the black plastic thing on top) from the one I used, but I doubt it matters much.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Iv'e got this one. It's fine for what it is, and for $100 is a pretty good deal just for the compressor alone. That airhose looks like hot garbage, though (thin and shiny are usually not a great combo in rubber-coated things), so you'll probably end up buying another one anyway.

It not going to give you a ton of air, but for nailers, it's fine. 6 gal at 2.6 CFM isn't poo poo for anything needing constant air. I use it to blow off dust when I'm refinishing things and I can get about 10 seconds using the little blower attachment before the compressor kicks back on and stays on till I'm done.

For what it's worth, I'm on my second one. The shut-off switch died on my first one after a few years and it was going to be such a pain in the rear end to replace that spending $130 on a new one was preferable. My next compressor will be a decent-sized one from California Air Tools, though.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you want a small compressor for small nail guns and filling up tires, buy this one instead. Sure it doesn't have the "accessory kit," but that kit is worth basically nothing anyways. This California Air Tools one will be much quieter and most likely last longer for your.

Pancake compressors are great for what they are, but I wish I would have gone this route instead for mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOSCDPA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OCIZJ4PJ76XJ&coliid=IK0FCAJN81JXH&psc=1

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Buy the California Air Tools 5.5 Gal one for $30 more and buy decent accessories (or a $10 cheapo accessory pack). If you live on a coast or some other place of high humidity get the aluminum tank (still gotta drain it but doesn't rust) for a few more bux.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can confirm, the porter cable compressor is hot garbage. It runs tools like impact wrenches and nailers just fine, but I've had a plethora of issues with mine and it's mind numbingly loud. Most recent annoying thing is the relief valve pops at 90psi when left running, draining the tank. I can't just let the drat thing run and charge up the tank anymore

So a few weeks ago I bought the basic craftsman 3 gallon oiled air compressor on black friday, and I'm loving it so much more. Faster, quieter, more portable. I've only ever heard good things about the California one as well.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Falco posted:

If you want a small compressor for small nail guns and filling up tires, buy this one instead. Sure it doesn't have the "accessory kit," but that kit is worth basically nothing anyways. This California Air Tools one will be much quieter and most likely last longer for your.

Pancake compressors are great for what they are, but I wish I would have gone this route instead for mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NOSCDPA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1OCIZJ4PJ76XJ&coliid=IK0FCAJN81JXH&psc=1

deimos posted:

Buy the California Air Tools 5.5 Gal one for $30 more and buy decent accessories (or a $10 cheapo accessory pack). If you live on a coast or some other place of high humidity get the aluminum tank (still gotta drain it but doesn't rust) for a few more bux.

Thanks for the advice. The California Air Tools one was also recommended back in October (by Deimos, so thanks for the double advice!), but it's $20 cheaper now. I pulled the pin on the steel 5.5 gallon one. I'm in the Philadelphia area, so we'll have an uncomfortable August but it generally doesn't get too humid.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 9, 2016

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

AFewBricksShy posted:

Thanks for the advice. The California Air Tools one was also recommended back in October, but it's $20 cheaper now. I pulled the pin on the steel 5.5 gallon one. I'm in the Philadelphia area, so we'll have an uncomfortable August but it generally doesn't get too humid.

Just bleed it every few days and you'll be fine. I have the steel tank one and live next to the ocean and the condensation doesn't get bad if you open the bleed line one a week or so.

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
Can I get some opinions on the Hilti TE 7-C? I have a TE-80 but it's a bit (a lot) overkill for chipping up bathroom tile, which would basically be the sole purpose of the 7-C. Maybe, maybe some very light duty core drilling. 1-1/8" holes or smaller.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

Can I get some opinions on the Hilti TE 7-C? I have a TE-80 but it's a bit (a lot) overkill for chipping up bathroom tile, which would basically be the sole purpose of the 7-C. Maybe, maybe some very light duty core drilling. 1-1/8" holes or smaller.

Ive owned one for about 3 years. Never removed tile with it and I think the largest hole ive drilled with it was 1", but its been a great drill. Bought a sds-plus jacobs chuck adapter for using twist drills and it has always worked great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do you guys have any good ideas for less expensive things you would put on a gift list? Little tools or bits that you never thought you'd want but absolutely love having?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Do you guys have any good ideas for less expensive things you would put on a gift list? Little tools or bits that you never thought you'd want but absolutely love having?

I like to keep one of these in each car:
http://www.amzn.com/B00009OYGZ/

I think I stumbled across it in this thread!

coathat
May 21, 2007

I got my brother one of these lighted pickup tools. https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-To...21-354cac4156d0

He uses it all the time to rescue lego pieces and other toys from under the washer and fridge. I think he even used it on his car once.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think an LED rechargeable/cordless handheld work light stick is indispensable. I use mine every time I'm working on our cars.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

A decent headlamp is absolutely indispensable, and can be had fairly cheaply. I'd spend at least 20$ for a good one.

If you have a habor freight nearby, this magnetic paper towel holder is absolutely amazing for anyone with a tool chest. Their magnetic spray can and screwdriver holder is just fantastic as well. I use that magnetic paper towel holder on my fridge in the kitchen as well, it's that great.

If they're into woodworking of any sort, any kind of kreg jig is an awesome gift. Eg the rip cut guide, pocket screw jig, crosscut guide, shelf pin jig.

4 in one screwdrivers are handy. Can't ever have too many tape measures, those like to walk away.

A Bucket Boss tool holder is just the best thing for projects.

There's a million other things I could think of if pressed... There any specific targets or projects or hobbies involved?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

OSU_Matthew posted:

A decent headlamp is absolutely indispensable, and can be had fairly cheaply. I'd spend at least 20$ for a good one.

That reminds me -- when I decide I need air filtration in addition to eye/ear protection, I end up wearing three pieces of PPE on my head all at the same time (mask, goggles, over-ear muffs) and it can get kind of unwieldy with all the straps and sometimes the mask causes the goggles to fog up. Anyone have any recommended integrated PPE "headsets" or whatever the term is that do ear/eye/breath protection? It's fine if they protect other stuff too (e.g. if they have a helmet or something) but those are the three I need most frequently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is a godsend. Also, Wera laser tip screwdrivers (when they're on sale - normal price might push "inexpensive" for most people) and Nejisaurus screw removal pliers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
These are all being added to my list, so keep it up. :getin:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Obligatory Thread Favorite Number 1

Also,
These
And These
and also this

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Add those Wera laser etched drivers to that list! They grip screws better than magnets, and are amazing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've got a couple of these that really, really, really come in handy.

http://bucketgrip.com/

One stays on my boat, the other around the house.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me -- when I decide I need air filtration in addition to eye/ear protection, I end up wearing three pieces of PPE on my head all at the same time (mask, goggles, over-ear muffs) and it can get kind of unwieldy with all the straps and sometimes the mask causes the goggles to fog up. Anyone have any recommended integrated PPE "headsets" or whatever the term is that do ear/eye/breath protection? It's fine if they protect other stuff too (e.g. if they have a helmet or something) but those are the three I need most frequently.
Don't know about full on single piece headsets, but I think the nicer masks vent air downwards to prevent goggle fogging at least. I vaguely remember the wood whisperer guy recommending one of the the 3M ones for that (and I think overall comfort and filtration options/quality). For ears I've just been using these 3M corded earbud types for years (or 3 for $9), might be more convenient...but might be less protection than your earmuffs (looks like those can vary quite a bit).

tl;dr If you can't find a single piece solution maybe consider different/better individual pieces of protection that might make things less unwieldy. Course I got no recommendation on goggles, I feel like mine are a bit bulkier than I'd like.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Part organizer thingys for screws and whatnot. There's the basic stackable tray types. Ones with covers, ones with drawers, portable ones, etc.

And speaking of screws if needed, maybe get some non Phillips head types. I vaguely recall some people mentioning torx or hex star or something being way better. Easier to lock in and drive while being less prone to stripping and stuff.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Eyemuffs are combo eye and ear protection, a few woodworkers I follow use them with a mask to suit the job.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
If you insert them correctly (watch this: https://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA) even the cheapest foamies offer enough protection, and you dont have to worry about masks, muffs, and goggles banging around your face.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

stealie72 posted:

If you insert them correctly (watch this: https://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA) even the cheapest foamies offer enough protection, and you dont have to worry about masks, muffs, and goggles banging around your face.

After a Summer of music festivals, I managed to cause earwax impaction by using foam plugs this way frequently. It, plus the doctor freeing the impacted wax gave me permanent tinnitus in that ear.

Not saying you shouldn't use plugs correctly, of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I use foam ear plugs regularly, have never had problems with wax.

I have managed to create airtight seals on occasion, which is awful. Hot tip: twist, don’t pull.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Another semi-inexpensive gift is a microUSB inspection camera. Many can be had for ~$20. Make sure it's microUSB if you want to plug into an Android. No idea about Apple. Shop around for models with LEDs and attachments. Cheap models tend not to have autofocus and the focal length is in the 3cm-15cm range. Autofocus models get pricey fast. Anyways cheap base model that I've stuck inside motors and electronics:

http://www.amzn.com/B01IVQUW52/

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

You boys are doing ear protection all wrong. etys not etsy

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have foamies, but I prefer the over-ear muffs; they're easier to take off / put on and don't get dirty very quickly (granted, the foamies are disposable and cheap).

Guess I'll look into some eyemuffs; thanks for the term. Any recommended brands/models?

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Yes to this but not at Amazon, shows 15 bucks for me. I got mine a month or so ago at Walmart for 9 and change.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I tend to plug earbuds into my roku 3 remote and put over-ear muffs over them so I can hear the tv and run machinery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I deal with goggles solely so I can use those amplifying earmuffs. They also have an aux-in. When they hear a loud noise, they cut off amplification.

I like to crank them up, so I can hear every footstep and bird chirp while I'm working. They're really good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481650933&sr=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

You boys are doing ear protection all wrong. etys not etsy

Counterpoint, these are aimed to reduce high frequency sound, some jobs need low freq protection. Also, $260.