Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

chumbler posted:

Symphogear

I started watching Symphogear a couple of weeks ago and this is the best answer, watch Symphogear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Poil posted:

Oh, right. I was never able to get past the first episode for some reason.

Even if you can get past the general weirdness of the premise and presentation, YKA has some pretty significant pacing issues; it didn't feel like Ikuhara was comfortable doing a 12-episode show, and the plot spent so much time setting up stuff that the resolution often felt rushed. I still liked it overall but I think I'm about the only person here who did. I can't even really recommend a three-episode test because I was kind of wavering on my opinion of the show right up until the end.

also i'm going to watch citrus and ntr and i'm going to like them :unsmigghh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Poil posted:

What is ntr by the way?

Oh boy, oh boy.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Poil posted:

I really feel like watching some yuri, but what is there to watch? Already seen Strawberry Panic, Maria-sama ga Miterau, Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana and Sakura Trick.

watch Simoun

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Oh boy, oh boy.

To answer the question: it's NTR, the manga about NTR (soon to be an anime). It's by Kodama Naoko, whose favourite thing in the world by her own admission is over-the-top soap-opera-style melodrama. Consider yourself warned.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Poil posted:

But they're not out right noooow. :v: What is ntr by the way?

Proof that the internet was a mistake.

Also a GBS meme.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Poil posted:

I really feel like watching some yuri, but what is there to watch? Already seen Strawberry Panic, Maria-sama ga Miterau, Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana and Sakura Trick.

Real disappointed I'm the first to recommend Hibike Euphonium. Technically not confirmed yuri but those girls are gayer than christmas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poil posted:

Kashimashi is okay just make sure you watch the OAV otherwise the end is pretty weird. Well it's still weird but I'm a different way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also to cancel out the NTR thing, Centaur's Worries is getting an anime, though it's often more yuri baiting there's a confirmed lesbian couple although there not in it particularly frequently.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Centaurs worries getting an anime has me extremely excited, :allears:, and :unsmigghh: all at the same time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Should I read Nana? I've had it recommended to me for as long as I've been a shojo fan but I'm trying to get into more "real" drama instead of fantasy stuff and I figured it might be a good place to start. But apparently the mangaka has abandoned it so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Does it end on a thoroughly frustrating note that will drive me crazy if I really enjoyed the series?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'll echo symphogear. i'd sort of recommend new game and magic of stella but you have to bear in mind that both shows spend more time on people just goofing off in general and the subtext might be a bit too light even with how heavily it's lampshaded multiple times in both shows. i'd actually recommend locodol more than either of them, but while it pretty much goes into straight-up text there with the person in charge of series composition being a pretty active voice in yuri circles, and in fact the same person who did the writing for the first half of flip flappers, the main relationship is shifted to the sidelines a lot in some episodes

symphogear, though, makes the character relationships the absolute center focus and is chock full of them and a few couples even have songs about how they love each other and their relationships are what drive some of the most important members of the cast to be as awesome as they are and it's really cute at times and really empowering and awesome and fun at other times, though the empowering and awesome and fun stuff comes after a pretty dry, dark first three episodes that you might or might not really like since they focus entirely on some pretty awkward drama centering around the loss of a character's loved one and are noticeably wonkier than later episodes. if you end up digging that, though, or can at least watch through to the end of episode 4, it's super good

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 17, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Candy Boy (warning: contains sister/sister relationship) and Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san are also worth watching. Then there's a re-cut version of Kuttsukiboshi called Pepper Cut that, if you can get hold of it, isn't terrible. Finally there's the seemingly never-ending list of "moeblobs doing moeblobby things"-shows which tend to have varying degrees of subtext - stuff like Yuyushiki, Yuru Yuri, Non Non Biyori, A-channel, Lucky Star, Is the Order a Rabbit?, Kinmoza!, Locodol, and Girl Friend Beta (listed in approximate order of subtext) - but the problem with them is that you have to find the "moeblobs doing moeblobby things"-genre to be at somewhat interesting/not completely dull which understandably can be an insurmountable obstacle for a lot of people.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 17, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Probably shouldn't recommend Candy Boy without mentioning that the main relationship is between two twin sisters for, ya know, people who might not be into that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's a very good and worthwile point to make, yes. It's been a long while since I watched it, so I apparently forgot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tera Girl is cool.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't list tamako market specifically for its small bit of subtext when the best part of the entire show is the movie where she falls in love with the guy. it's an ok show but if you're looking specifically for any kind of yuri thing you're probably gonna come out disappointed more than with a lot of the other shows listed

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 17, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's a also very good and worthwile point to make, yes.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Man if you don't think Utena is yuri I don't know what else to do for you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Utena rejects binary sexuality.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Utena is one of those things where I know it is gay and good, yet I don't think I can actually comprehend the story and world it takes place in.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Compendium posted:

Utena is one of those things where I know it is gay and good, yet I don't think I can actually comprehend the story and world it takes place in.

It's not that hard geez

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

It's not that hard geez

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Compendium posted:

The best advice I can give is the thing Utena is actually about, and the thing that's important to keep track of, is the interpersonal interactions: who's doing what to whom and why. The more out-there aspects of the setting are really just a backdrop to allow those interactions to happen in cool stylish ways.

Also don't watch the movie before you've seen the series because then it really won't make any sense; it's a retelling of the series that gives an alternate take on all of the characters, but it moves so fast that without knowing who they were and what happened in the first place you'll just be lost.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of anime, did Wotaku get picked up?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I stumbled upon The Love Doctor, a yuri romance story about a young woman in college who has problems with love, so she calls ~The Love Doctor~ and yet somehow, I can't help but think "Physician, heal thyself"...

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Everything Burrito posted:

Kanna to Decchi is getting updated again yay

For a refresher it's the one with the guy who starts living with a girl and her family so he can apprentice as a carpenter with her smokin hot dad and they end up being really cute and flirty with each other (the apprentice and girl I mean, not the dad lol).

Wow, this is incredibly my poo poo, thanks

It's cute and I like it. Kanna's friends are great. Hopefully the updates don't die again...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Pygmalio's finale happened. There's still an epilogue to be done though, I think? I'm posting this though because it is very sad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

I stumbled upon The Love Doctor, a yuri romance story about a young woman in college who has problems with love, so she calls ~The Love Doctor~ and yet somehow, I can't help but think "Physician, heal thyself"...

Cute. :3:

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thanks for posting this. As of part 10, I'm really liking it so far. Is it ongoing? If so, is there some way to keep track of updates? I dunno how this imgur thing works.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is actually a pretty good romance/drama. The doctor is an interesting character.

edit: One interesting thing is that, unlike most lesbian/romance comics, this doesn't seem like it's intended to titillate male readers.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 19, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Too bad it has the godawful webtoon format.

Edit: This is actually pretty good so far, webtoon format aside. It's certainly effective at making the protagonist being uncomfortable in a lot of the situations come across. Also is dudes asking women out and also for them to pay a thing?

Our plucky heroine.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 19, 2016

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

Thanks for posting this. As of part 10, I'm really liking it so far. Is it ongoing? If so, is there some way to keep track of updates? I dunno how this imgur thing works.
It's ongoing, yes - I believe it's being translated by the same people who're definitely not still translating What Does The Fox Say - either way, to my knowledge there's no official channels to get it. As for the imgur, just bookmark it and check for updates regularily.

Speaking of which, WDTFS is supposedly approaching its natural end - according to people familiar with it, it's supposed to be around 80-90 chapters long. Said people also told me that the author referenced/paid homage to Fluttering Feelings, in light of that series' status, which I think is nice even if it's probably gonna ensure that I get something in my eyes whenever I get around to reading WDTFS.

Either way, I'll be attempting to keep track of when the series finish, because I tend to prefer binge reading, so I don't wanna read it until it's finished - so I'll probably remember to post about them ending too.

Someone please tell me if any of the above is considered a spoiler, I'm not sure it is but if it is I'll edit my post with spoiler tags.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

chumbler posted:

Edit: This is actually pretty good so far, webtoon format aside. It's certainly effective at making the protagonist being uncomfortable in a lot of the situations come across. Also is dudes asking women out and also for them to pay a thing?

Our plucky heroine.

Kissmanga makes webtoons so much not-poo poo to read.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Kissmanga makes everything so much not-poo poo to read.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I take back everything I said, Kissmanga doesn't have that webtoon, for some reason. Imgur next best option~

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

True except for the enormous scans they often don't resize.

coathat
May 21, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Kissmanga makes webtoons so much not-poo poo to read.

Nope

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

chumbler posted:

True except for the enormous scans they often don't resize.

ctrl+scrollwheel until it's the correct size again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chumbler posted:

Our plucky heroine.

I like how there wasn't really any "oh god am I really lesbian?!?" stuff with the main character and she was just like of like "oh huh how about that, everything makes sense! gonna go tell the doctor my feelings now" after googling about lesbians.