Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Seems a little late to try and humanize Rachel. Especially when her rationalization is that it's just murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So it seems pretty clear at this point that Wangnan (and Karaka as his brother) have Jahad's immortality. It would explain why Karaka was okay with losing an arm. So it's likely that it's not just fast regeneration, but also a complete inability to be killed (unless their whole body were destroyed maybe?). Its use in combat seems kinda limited though since it still takes him a long time to recover.

It's interesting how they're bringing up the fact that Wangnan's ability to attract other people just results in them getting killed if he's not competent enough.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it makes sense in that jahad can't be killed by inhabitants of the tower and we've yet to see any actual members of his family other than presumably them

i don't think it was really trying to humanise rachel it was just like i said being the first case of her personally killing someone

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

It's interesting how they're bringing up the fact that Wangnan's ability to attract other people just results in them getting killed if he's not competent enough.

I think it's compelling for him to change as a character, but actually unfair, at least in this situation. Their plan was actually pretty good and competent enough, but too risky. And, unfortunately, they were simply outmatched in both ability and cunning since they are up against Emily and a Slayer Candidate. Also, it misrepresents Akraptor's and Prince's sacrifice as being Wangnan's fault when they did it because Wangnan gave them hope and they believe in him, seriously. I guess SIU is trying to draw parallels between Wangnan and Baam, who both have a serious case of the Shonen Protagonist and cannot accept losing people to their ideals.

The floor of death should be interesting because it will be an opportunity for Baam to see if he has enough power to actually oppose the tower's guardians and an opportunity for Wangnan to clear his conscience by sacrificing himself to the tower.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

i don't think it was really trying to humanise rachel it was just like i said being the first case of her personally killing someone

If that was the first time she personally killed someone, it's only through being incompetent as gently caress. I'm pretty sure she's at least tried to kill a few people on panel, aside from the little boy who followed her into the tower and she tried to kill via fall damage but it didn't take.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

If that was the first time she personally killed someone, it's only through being incompetent as gently caress. I'm pretty sure she's at least tried to kill a few people on panel, aside from the little boy who followed her into the tower and she tried to kill via fall damage but it didn't take.

Not going to deny that and baam is a bit of a special case

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coffee Mugshot posted:

The floor of death should be interesting because it will be an opportunity for Baam to see if he has enough power to actually oppose the tower's guardians and an opportunity for Wangnan to clear his conscience by sacrificing himself to the tower.

I hope Wangnan's arc doesn't end that way. It would be consistent with his character, but sacrificing yourself is a bit of a cop-out (It's basically the same, in this case, as admitting you don't think you can save >1 people in the future through living).

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I don't think this was trying to humanize her any more than her freakout with Dan did, where she freaked out so much she was panting heavily afterwards. She really doesn't want to be seen as the bad guy, either by herself or others.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Decus posted:

I don't think this was trying to humanize her any more than her freakout with Dan did, where she freaked out so much she was panting heavily afterwards. She really doesn't want to be seen as the bad guy, either by herself or others.

In a way, people who have some degree of empathy and still do bad things are even worse than your more generic "crazy rear end in a top hat" type of evil.

edit: I actually kind of like Rachel as a character. She's definitely a really bad person, but the amount of people fantasizing about her being tortured and killed in the comments of any chapter she shows up in is kind of disturbing (and to be honest I think is partly due to misogyny, since evil male characters don't receive that same treatment).

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Rachel is a great character and really one of the best parts of the story. Way more interesting than a typical antagonist.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Irony.or.Death posted:

Rachel is a great character and really one of the best parts of the story. Way more interesting than a typical antagonist.

Yeah, I think part of why I like her is that I honestly want to get her perspective on things. Like, there's no real excuse for the things she's done, but I still want to know what's motivating her.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Which is why there's no chance we're getting any of it until the end of the series :negative:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

We still don't know where exactly Rachel is from, right? Like, if she grew up in some civilization outside of the tower or something else. Though I seem to remember it being stated or implied that the reason why Urek Mazino was so strong is because of growing up outside of the tower, so it would be a little weird for Rachel to come from the same circumstances and just be average in strength.

I do hope that her motivation isn't something super benevolent, though ("I had to do all this terrible stuff to save my family" is one of the worst cliches). I'm thinking it won't be, given we've seen her do some completely unnecessary vicious stuff, like stabbing Dan's legs.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The most important thing about Rachel is that she's technically irregular, so isn't bound by magic to Jahads immortality. She and Bam are probably also able to kill Karaka and Wangnan, though they might not realize it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

One of my favorite things about the Rachel/Baam dynamic is that no matter what I can always see Baam as being really creepy and obsessive

Probably because he actually is really creepy and obsessive about her

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Shugojin posted:

One of my favorite things about the Rachel/Baam dynamic is that no matter what I can always see Baam as being really creepy and obsessive

Probably because he actually is really creepy and obsessive about her

I mean he spent an unknown number of years alone in a dark cave before meeting a single human being who went on to teach him everything he knows about the world.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sarcophallus posted:

I mean he spent an unknown number of years alone in a dark cave before meeting a single human being who went on to teach him everything he knows about the world.

This is true.

It doesn't really change the fact that he's obsessive about her though to a really creepy unhealthy level though.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it's shifted a bit. Seems more like Baam feels responsible for her actions since he still considers her his closest friend (which is creepy if he's not Shonen) and has some power to help her reach her goals. Unfortunate because I'm pretty sure he's going down the obito route with power here. He's going to watch Khun viciously murder Rachel and then pretend to be Jahad and hypnotize the entire tower into being peaceful.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Is it too soon to get the thread title changed to 'No Longer Featuring ManGator'?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I have faith that he will return to us.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
Interesting~~

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-229/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=310

That's a twist I did not see coming

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Huh does anyone recognize those eyes? Or is that likely someone new?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Wowwww that chapter felt so long! This series is really picking up.

Also Rachel owns

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Good thing Baam has people around him who can drag him back to reality. Also Endorsi is the best :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

This is why having a support group and a loving environment is something that is healthy and needed.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Is that a translation error when Rachel says she's also a regular? I'm thinking she's meant to say irregular.

This update also has me thinking she might join the main cast to go up the tower past floor 134.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

nimby posted:

Is that a translation error when Rachel says she's also a regular? I'm thinking she's meant to say irregular.

This update also has me thinking she might join the main cast to go up the tower past floor 134.

Yeah, I'd guess so. The preview translation said:

quote:

Didn’t you hear these from Baam? / I’m also an irregular. (That’s why I’m working with FUG- So I know some things.)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good for Rachel for trying to gain another companion through logic and cooperation as opposed to Baam who gets companions through divine intervention/being pretty.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Good for Rachel for trying to gain another companion through logic and cooperation as opposed to Baam who gets companions through divine intervention/being pretty.

Baam actually cares about them compared to Rachel who dumps them as fast as she can find them.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yet another chapter of Rachel being a giant oval office who manipulates people into being a shield for her to use to climb the Tower instead of actually growing stronger herself.

It's also super interesting, but pretty obvious to anyone whose paid attention, that Jahad/Zahard used to be extremely similar to Baam, and his goal was to be a sort of ideal for people to strive toward and improve themselves in order to make people happy. It honestly makes me think Baam is some sort of clone of Jahad, but that's not really based on anything but my personal thoughts.

Also I called that Rak isn't dead. You don't just kill off such a great character like that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Finally confirmed outside of a chapter title forever ago, wooo

Ryuujin posted:

Huh does anyone recognize those eyes? Or is that likely someone new?

I think it's someone new!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

seems a bit silly to give the keys to the higher floors to your secret children

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Not nearly enough love for robo-Yuri here.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Wangnan being killed in ever more excessive ways while he mysteriously recovers since he's a jahad would be good imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how random people without their own big story arcs end up joining Baam's party and sticking with him. It has a more organic feel to it than the normal shounen where the party is pretty much static and when someone new joins they have some big story behind them. A good example of this is Sachi Faker, who is basically just some strong D-rank regular dude who was friends with sword guy, but he still regularly shows up and does stuff (like in that picture from their test in this chapter).

edit: It also helps emphasize the fact that the world of ToG is really big and the protagonist and his party aren't the only strong people out there.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's also cool that important group members will just gently caress off for a while doing their own thing. Occasionally meeting up again on a different floor, maybe joining back up with the group or maybe going back to doing their thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this seems as good a thread as any. i only read ToG, god of highschool, gamer and noblesse. any other webtoons worth reading. only want action really and preferably something on wednesday/thursday for when i'm having a poo poo at work :thumbsup:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Your first stop should definitely be the first page of this thread to hunt for ideas. Word of warning though, most of the links there are dead, as the official publisher for many of those manhwa have issued C&D orders for those translations. You can still find translation via Google though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Not really action but Tales of the Unusual is fun and updates Wednesdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I also read the same things as you and decided to read some other stuff when I got bored one day. Check out Bastard and Dr. Frost. Both aren't really action, but they have been keeping my attention.