Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
So that weird threeway collision of Godzilla, Evangelion, and Metal Gear went up for pre-order and is coming out July of 2017. http://www.hlj.com/product/SET88024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I just ran into the metal gear in MGSV and it was startlingly reminiscent of an evangelion, in its animalistic behavior.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Asuka scores one of the most insane deaths ever either way

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

frank.club posted:

Asuka scores one of the most insane deaths ever either way

Goes out fighting, that's for sure.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Mass Production Eva fight is still a gorgeous piece of animation to this day. The cockpit shots really manage to convey weight and heft in a way that's exceptionally rare, even in live action stuff (looking at you, Pacific Rim!).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCxYalU_wA

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

A true work of art.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:perfect:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No lie, I watched amv hell 3 ten years ago and it made me want to watch evangelion. The "you got the touch" part with Rei ranging everyone lmao.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember downloading AMV Hell 3 and watching it on my iPod back in the day. Good, strange times those were.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My high school roommate had a Rammstein EoE AMV that he got off limewire and that's what spurred me into saving up for the box set for this show

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

If we're doing confessionals, 14-year-old me got into Eva because of the flash games on newgrounds. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/117511

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Zeruel posted:

If we're doing confessionals, 14-year-old me got into Eva because of the flash games on newgrounds. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/117511

Holy poo poo, I'm not alone. :stwoon:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeruel posted:

I uh.. I liked robot anime a lot and that's why I watched

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

frank.club posted:

I uh.. I liked robot anime a lot and that's why I watched

Same, why the gently caress would you admit that

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I got into Eva because I was a weird kid.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I watched Eva because my friend told me "you gotta watch this series, I hate everyone in it and they all suck but it's worth it because at the end they all die and it's amazing."

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I watched bits of Eva that I randomly caught on Adult Swim while I was a child :v: picked up on most of the gaps through cultural osmosis.

Watched EoE a few years ago, loved it. I actually still haven't sat down and watched the whole TV series from start to finish, though. I'll probably give it a go in 2017, though.

I will not watch any of the Rebuild Movies until the Rebuild series is over or it gets canceled, though :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

sinking belle posted:

My high school roommate had a Rammstein EoE AMV that he got off limewire and that's what spurred me into saving up for the box set for this show

Engel?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

sinking belle posted:

ohhh poo poo yeah this helped too

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I watched Eva because my friend told me "you gotta watch this series, I hate everyone in it and they all suck but it's worth it because at the end they all die and it's amazing."

"everyone dies" was a big selling point, yeah

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I watched Eva because I ended up seeing EoE through some random link and said to myself, "I have to figure out what the gently caress's going on."

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I learned of Evangelion around 1999 when it aired late night on a premium cable channel, well out of my watching reach. People wouldn't shut up about how "mature" it was and I thought they were edgelords in it for the titties.

Boy, things sure changed since then. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Being an anime fan for most of my life, I heard about Eva everywhere. Around 2013 I decided to see what all the fuss was about.

I still don't necessarily get the fuss but I did like the TV series and I wish it had ended there.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I like bleak stuff and back in the mids 00s someone said that Eva would tick all my boxes. Turns out they were right.

Vermain posted:

I watched Eva because I ended up seeing EoE through some random link and said to myself, "I have to figure out what the gently caress's going on."

I can only imagine that watching EoE out of context is an utterly incomprehensible experience.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

EoE was incomprehensible in context the first time I watched it. I was hella less literate then, though, both in terms of critically understanding fiction in general and especially film.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

EoE was incomprehensible in context the first time I watched it. I was hella less literate then, though, both in terms of critically understanding fiction in general and especially film.

Yeah, that's fair. Watching it as a dumb teenager, I seem to remember enjoying all the robots fighting more than taking any kind of the meaning that Anno was trying to get across from it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got into evangelion because it was in the "anime" section of my local video store right next to Slayers, Ranma 1/2 and La Blue Girl.

... Yeah, thankfully it wasn't the last one of those I decided to rent.

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
A dude I knew back in '97 or so owned it on VHS and suggested I borrow and watch it and I had not seen much anime at the time but I thought it was a quality television program.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I first saw random Eva episodes on Adult Swim when I was younger and thought it was kind of neat. I watched the entire thing about four or five years ago in about a 24 hour period and thought it might be the best television show ever made. Certainly one of the most cinematic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I bought a toy of Unit 0 simply because it looked cool two or more years before i even saw a single frame of animation from the series.

In fact now that i think about it, it may have been a friend seeing it on my shelf that led her to lend me the DVDs in the first place.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I watched Eva for the first time a few years ago because I heard it was fantastic. I watched the rebuild 1 and 2 first and was underwhelmed

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CottonWolf posted:

I can only imagine that watching EoE out of context is an utterly incomprehensible experience.

When I was... 12?, my parents sent me to a little animation summer camp in the city and they had a big library of animated films that they showed us examples from. I ended up watching Wizards and Heavy Metal in the same day. I was well used to being utterly baffled by animated films by the time I finally saw EoE without context.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Vermain posted:

When I was... 12?, my parents sent me to a little animation summer camp in the city and they had a big library of animated films that they showed us examples from. I ended up watching Wizards and Heavy Metal in the same day. I was well used to being utterly baffled by animated films by the time I finally saw EoE without context.

Oh man Wizards! That film had the GREATEST wizard battle of all time! They should have ended the Harry Potter films that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i caught a few scattered episodes from the first half of the series on tv, then i saw the last two episodes and found them so compelling i went out to buy the whole series and actually watch it in order

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Chinese friend of mine had the subbed VHS tapes in '98 and showed me like episodes 8-12. I was 11 and instantly hooked and slowly sourced the dvds from different shops over the course of 2 years. Eternally grateful I discovered it as young as I did. EoE is quite the experience for a 13 year old.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

EoE is quite the experience for a 13 year old.

The right age bracket is 13 to 15 years old.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My best friend in school bought the first VHS because it had 'from the Director of Gunbuster' on the front and we both really liked Gunbuster.

I first heard about it earlier in an anime magazine because of some weird telephone game controversy over an ADV press release that said the western release was going to feature improved animation, I never did work out what was up with that. Probably nothing but weird translation and pre-internet reporting issues.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 26, 2016

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Zeruel posted:

The right age bracket is 13 to 15 years old.

For the show sure. The movie didn't feel like it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had heard about the series from some college friends whose recommendations were usually good and, flush with part time college job cash, went to Suncoast and picked up the Perfect Collection box set in the spring of 2002. While a couple of months before graduation isn't the highest impact time in one's life to see it, it still had a punch. Those friends didn't warn me that the robot action was peripheral to what was really going on, but that was probably the right way for me to approach it.