Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So my family member that waited until the last minute to buy my present just went to home depot and picked up several Bessey clamps.

I have them trained well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

How long does a spray lacquer'd surface actually need to dry to be ready for wet sanding and the final coats? I keep reading that I'm supposed to wait weeks or even months, but that seems like ludicrous overkill. That seems to be the amount of time it takes for the lacquer to completely harden, but so far I've only been letting my stuff set for 2 days every time before the final coats, and it hasn't been problematic at all. the finish is basically perfect (at least in my eyes) even with that short drying period. What's up with that?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

GEMorris posted:

So my family member that waited until the last minute to buy my present just went to home depot and picked up several Bessey clamps.

I'm hoping my family listened to my wish list, which was like 75% woodworking stuff. I could reaaaaaalllyy use some new/more clamps

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Minorkos posted:

How long does a spray lacquer'd surface actually need to dry to be ready for wet sanding and the final coats? I keep reading that I'm supposed to wait weeks or even months, but that seems like ludicrous overkill. That seems to be the amount of time it takes for the lacquer to completely harden, but so far I've only been letting my stuff set for 2 days every time before the final coats, and it hasn't been problematic at all. the finish is basically perfect (at least in my eyes) even with that short drying period. What's up with that?

Lacquer dries very quickly. The old toluene based stuff that killed many a painter dried insanely fast. Very forgiving stuff. Your experience is correct, what you're reading is apparently bullshit. Even if you're using water based, it still dries quite fast.

edit- nitrocellulose, I think that's what I was trying to think of

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 25, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GEMorris posted:

That's pretty sweet actually, I usually get stuff like carving knives from Harbor Freight or something equally useless although more often I've been getting wood which is an A+ gift far as I'm concerned.

Minorkos posted:

How long does a spray lacquer'd surface actually need to dry to be ready for wet sanding and the final coats? I keep reading that I'm supposed to wait weeks or even months...

It takes weeks or months for a lacquer finish to "fully cure" but you can recoat as soon as it's dry to the touch. Drying and curing are related, dry is when the top layer flashes off it's solvent and feels dry. Cured is when ALL the solvent has evaporated out and nothing but solids remain. Lacquer will melt into itself meaning each subsequent coat will slightly dissolve the previous. But keep in mind the thicker the finish, the longer it will take to cure and will smell like lacquer thinner in the meantime. I did an experiment a couple years ago where I finished a cup in lacquer, kept it suspended upside down so any fumes would stay inside and would occasionally sniff to see if it was cured, it took about 3 months for the smell to go away completely and that was only 3 coats.

re: wet sanding. I've never done that with lacquer and am not sure if it's necessary. Lacquer is very durable but is not 100% impermeable to moisture, at least not the consumer stuff that you would buy in a hardware store.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Almost forgot, I came here to post that Fine Woodworking is giving away 10 plans over 10 days. Yesterday's was a Krenov style cabinet by Mike Peckovich. Today is a modified Enfield cabinet by Matt Kenney. Go to their Instagram home page to find the link.
https://www.instagram.com/finewoodworkingmagazine/

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Magres posted:

I'm hoping my family listened to my wish list, which was like 75% woodworking stuff. I could reaaaaaalllyy use some new/more clamps

We do a not so secret santa where everyone tells the gift giver what they want, and all I asked for was a pair of earmuffs with bluetooth so I can listen to audio books while I'm working. Even sent a link to exactly what I wanted.

I got a set of headphones with noise cancelling.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It'll dry quickly, but to fully cure enough to take a proper polishing it it can take up to 30 days. Depending on the brand of lacquer.
Some cure faster than others. A good rule of thumb is to sniff it if it still smells like lacquer it's not ready yet.
You can wet sand and polish it before it's fully cued out but as it continues to cure the finish can dull and sink into the grain more.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

NPR Journalizard posted:

We do a not so secret santa where everyone tells the gift giver what they want, and all I asked for was a pair of earmuffs with bluetooth so I can listen to audio books while I'm working. Even sent a link to exactly what I wanted.

I got a set of headphones with noise cancelling.

This happened to me one year, I even tore an advertisement from a magazine and they took it to the store. Still got got the wrong thing. Salesperson talked them into something different.

This year I got a Freud dado blade and Festool sander, for Woodworking gifts.

Also my spellcheck insists on capitalizing Woodworking, also it does not recognize "spellcheck".

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

wormil posted:

This happened to me one year, I even tore an advertisement from a magazine and they took it to the store. Still got got the wrong thing. Salesperson talked them into something different.

This year I got a Freud dado blade and Festool sander, for Woodworking gifts.

Also my spellcheck insists on capitalizing Woodworking, also it does not recognize "spellcheck".

lol. Freud dado pack then? I used my wobble dado last summer for the 1st time in forever to make my wife a finger-crawler therapy bar for her shoulder.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yep, Freud 8" set, from my daughter. I own a wobble blade but have never used it. For rabbets and dadoes I've always made multiple passes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Been wondering if I should build a tool cabinet in the future... Instead of my current system which is a tool wall with tool holders. My main reasoning is, it seems more compact and can be more easily moved if I re-arrange the shop, which seems to happen and probably will happen again more than once when I knock down a wall and incorporate another small room into it. But OTOH a simple tool wall with some plywood is very versatile and allows me to keep on changing my layout all the time. A cabinet might be a little more permanent in layout... I dunno...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never had a wall cabinet for tools but I love the tool wall I built this last fall, one of the best things I've ever done. However, mine would certainly benefit from being more compact. A few things I thought were used infrequently are up top and it turns out I use them more often than I thought so I might rearrange some day. One downside is you need to keep the area in front of the wall relatively empty or reach over a bench or tool to get things. With a cabinet you could build it out so it sticks out over whatever is underneath.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
What about smaller more specialized cabinets. Like one for hand planes and one for saws. Allow room to grow and mount on the wall with room for external tool holders as well. Hang everything from French cleats so you can expand and add as you like. That is my plan.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 25, 2016

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Would anyone mind sharing some photos? I'm trying to figure out how to organize my "shop" a bit since I have stuff spread around all over.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Falco posted:

Would anyone mind sharing some photos? I'm trying to figure out how to organize my "shop" a bit since I have stuff spread around all over.

Sure! :buddy:

(click for fullsize)

You wanted counterexamples, right?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Been wondering if I should build a tool cabinet in the future... Instead of my current system which is a tool wall with tool holders. My main reasoning is, it seems more compact and can be more easily moved if I re-arrange the shop, which seems to happen and probably will happen again more than once when I knock down a wall and incorporate another small room into it. But OTOH a simple tool wall with some plywood is very versatile and allows me to keep on changing my layout all the time. A cabinet might be a little more permanent in layout... I dunno...

I work out of a Dutch tool chest and it's awesome at helping me stay organized and keeping dust off of my tools.

I also used my tool chest as an opportunity to purge my excess tools that didn't warrant a space in the chest.

Link

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

GEMorris posted:

I work out of a Dutch tool chest and it's awesome at helping me stay organized and keeping dust off of my tools.

I also used my tool chest as an opportunity to purge my excess tools that didn't warrant a space in the chest.

Link

That looks nice. I may have to add that to the list since it is relatively mobile.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Spent the day at home with family, eating delicous food, exchanging gifts, etc. Also spent the day making an extra gift for my sister, a wand stand:

Black and White Ebony, finished with BLO. Very happy with how it came out considering this piece features my first two mortise and tenon joints for the wand holder bits.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Falco posted:

I'm in a weird state of having no real bench (other than a big assembly/outfeed table) and I still need to build a miter saw station (mostly for drawer space).

It's a weird shaped space, 25' x 17' (and tapering down to 11.5')

New workbench might end up at 6' so I have room for low cabinets on either side, and potentially a monster drum sander.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Man I am seriously jealous of the size of that workshop.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thanks for the replies re: cabinets, I think I'll need to mull on this for some years yet... It'll need to be wall mounted though, I have no space left on the floor.

Now that the worst christmas bustle is over I can continue on the kids bench:

Just started on taking the tenons down, I think I'll move to my jointer plane rather than smoothing once I got them down enough to level it off. Construction grade lumber really is a bitch to work with. Thinking of water based poly as a finish, since it cures much faster and doesn't yellow. I dunno I want to experience with water and PVA glue a bit and see if I can get a good looking stain...

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Does anyone here do CA finishes and have any tips? My thin bottle has expired thanks to the humidity in the shop and moving up to medium seems like a very bad choice from the initial test.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've used a lot of ca glues including expensive boutique brands. Most are the same but the very best I've used is Loctite Pro, not the regular Loctite ca glue which is the same as all the other stuff. For me, the Pro works exactly how you think a super glue should work and is less likely to harden in the tip.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
This stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Liquid-Professional-20-Gram-1365882/dp/B004Y960MU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm a big, big fan of the overly-fancy Fastcap 2P-10 because it comes in 2oz or large 10oz bottles. Fastcap will replace it if it hardens in the bottle, too. I keep around thick for quick jigs and weird glueups, and thin for filling cracks and fixing splits.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Yes. I've had bottles that lasted a year. My wife bought three bottles of that Bob Eastman Smith or whatever it's called and those last about a month with infrequent use but the spout was glued shut after the second use, cap was glued on after a couple of days. Ditto for pretty much every other brand I've tried. Back when I lived in an apartment, I built lots of highly detailed scale models and went through a lot of super glue. Also my kids do Science Olympiad every year and we go through lots of super glue. My point being I have a lot of experience with the stuff. Enough sperging out, I have a tool box to finish.

edit; corrected brand name

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 26, 2016

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Rad. The Bob whatever is what I have on hand currently and yeah the tip is a pain in the rear end, the one that's dead is several months old but what most likely killed it is the cap slowly breaking.

Thanks!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got myself a belated christmas present, two oilstones (8x2") of the brand Dan's Whetstone, one black arkansas and one soft.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You wanna see what frustration looks like?

I really need to start drawing plans again. Not only does it make the woodworking go faster but it prevents stupidity like this. I think it would actually be faster to build a new box than make new drawers.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GEMorris posted:

Link

This is timely. I was thinking the other day that it might make sense to join one of the maker spaces around town. I can't work in my garage during winter, and it might be a cool way to meet people. A local one has an open house each Wednesday. If I like what I see, maybe I'll build a tool chest that I can lug around instead of a wall-mounted cabinet like I'd been planning.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

wormil posted:

You wanna see what frustration looks like?

I really need to start drawing plans again. Not only does it make the woodworking go faster but it prevents stupidity like this. I think it would actually be faster to build a new box than make new drawers.

Cut out the middle and glue in a decorative spline to widen the box. Or just cut the middle out of the drawer back and front and put something on the face to hide the seam. Maybe a big fancy drawer pull or a name plate or something. What is the box for?

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 26, 2016

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Cut out the middle and glue in a decorative spline.

Tempting but I suspect that would also take longer than remaking the box and might be a bit fiddly.

I'll make a new box for the too big drawers then make new drawers for this box. It's not like a tool box is ever going to waste.

I used a lock joint for both drawers and case. I figured if it's good enough for Gerstner it's good enough for me and I always wanted to try it. They turned out well but it was touchy getting the tongue just perfect. The new drawers I might do splined miters or maybe build that box joint jig I've been putting off for a decade.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

ColdPie posted:

This is timely. I was thinking the other day that it might make sense to join one of the maker spaces around town. I can't work in my garage during winter, and it might be a cool way to meet people. A local one has an open house each Wednesday. If I like what I see, maybe I'll build a tool chest that I can lug around instead of a wall-mounted cabinet like I'd been planning.

My dutch tool chest is slightly smaller than the one I linked so I could fit it in the trunk of my Miata for similar reasons.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
What do people think about this as a first set of chisels for a beginner?

Narex Czech Steel Premium 4 pc Set True Imperial 1/8", 3/8", 5/8", 7/8" Bench Cabinetmaker Chisels w/ Hornbeam Handles 863253

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think the set of 4 Stanley Sweetheart socket chisels are a good bit better for a little bit more money. If Amazon is still running the Stanley deal it's not even that much more.

This is based on continued reviews I see about Narex having spotty quality (some people get great ones, some get ones that are poorly tempered or have other issues) and my personal experience with the Stanleys

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Thanks for the replies re: cabinets, I think I'll need to mull on this for some years yet... It'll need to be wall mounted though, I have no space left on the floor.

Now that the worst christmas bustle is over I can continue on the kids bench:

Just started on taking the tenons down, I think I'll move to my jointer plane rather than smoothing once I got them down enough to level it off. Construction grade lumber really is a bitch to work with. Thinking of water based poly as a finish, since it cures much faster and doesn't yellow. I dunno I want to experience with water and PVA glue a bit and see if I can get a good looking stain...

Dang those tenons look crisp.

I also used some roubo double tenons and mine look like utter drat dogshit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, they're cheater tenons so I didn't really chop any mortises, basically I planed everything, and I mean everything to the same thickness, that allowed me to just laminate the center of the top first, then start puzzling together the pieces.

I'm thinking about shellac as a finish now, not as durable but easy to touch up and has a very warm living color...

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

GEMorris posted:

I think the set of 4 Stanley Sweetheart socket chisels are a good bit better for a little bit more money. If Amazon is still running the Stanley deal it's not even that much more.

This is based on continued reviews I see about Narex having spotty quality (some people get great ones, some get ones that are poorly tempered or have other issues) and my personal experience with the Stanleys

Great, I was looking at those as well. That confirms some of the questions I had about the Narex stuff -- I'd alternatingly heard it was great quality for the price, and that it had a host of issues like not holding a good edge.

Is there any reason I'd want to go with the 8-piece set? Or should 1/4" + 1/2" + 3/4" + 1" do me pretty well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

GEMorris posted:

I've heard that the Narex's sold at Lee Valley have undergone additional QA/QC, they even have different coloured handles so you know which ones your getting. Not sure how true that is though.

^I wouldn't bother with an 8 piece set, I've only had 3 for the past 4 years and have never felt I needed more.