Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

You have to use a C style loop:
code:
#! /bin/bash
for ((i=$1;i<=$2;i++))
do
    echo "this is $i"
done
I mean, I suppose you could always use this:
code:
for i in $(eval echo {$1..$2})
do
    echo "this is $i"
done
but I'm partial to the C loop.

Thanks! I'll try it out. I felt like the second one was what I was thinking of, but I also know to avoid eval wherever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Here's her email:

Go figure. I'm 100% the only person in the office that cleans up. We just moved into a really nice new space, and I've spent weeks getting rid of all the boxes that we moved and people just didn't deal with. I'm constantly cleaning up and removing boxes and stuff and she treats me like I do nothing. It's a huge pain, especially since I go out of my way to make sure that she doesn't have a messy office, because I believe rule number two of working in an office is keep the office admin happy (rule 1 being keep your direct boss happy).

EDIT; Just to be clear, she also took all the hangers out of it so I can't use it. Don't worry that I have no where to put my coat otherwise, but that's that.

take your own hangar in

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Security consultants wanted us to push out updates to flash and acrobat on the Friday before a holiday because omg hackers are active in the holiday season :frogsiren:

Never mind several applications need their own special version of these things and they gave us zero time to test anything. That's normal, these "security" people constantly test things in prod by just pushing poo poo out and not even telling us. Our guys can't wipe their rear end without a change management ticket but these guys can just gently caress around and break stuff and we have to ask what they were doing to see if that caused it. I think they were brought in to just frustrate us into pulling out.

Oh and after insisting on breaking half the lovely programs in the company, they are taking all next week off. They're of course not on call for any of this. Luckily we managed to talk them out of it by reminding them how much poo poo is going to break.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Asmodai_00 posted:

take your own hangar in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gSKIQEU8qc

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asmodai_00 posted:

take your own hangar in

And throw it on the ground.

On top of your coat.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 24, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

In the quest against banning associates from having vending machines, coffee, soda, and snacks, we were told at our company meeting on Christmas eve (well Friday at least) that we were no longer allowed to bring in birthday treats, instead we get the day off as PTO. They said if people bring stuff in the next day they're not going to do it next year.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Pissing me off this morning:

4AM Call from our SIP provider because we've had 600+ minutes worth of calls to Morocco between 3 and 4 am.

Reason for this? Provider turned off security on our SIP connection allowing anyone to reach our SBC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

In the quest against banning associates from having vending machines, coffee, soda, and snacks, we were told at our company meeting on Christmas eve (well Friday at least) that we were no longer allowed to bring in birthday treats, instead we get the day off as PTO. They said if people bring stuff in the next day they're not going to do it next year.

To be fair, getting your birthday off as an extra paid day off is pretty good in its own right. Especially if they're willing to swing an adjacent day if it falls on a weekend instead of telling you to gently caress off and get back to work.

Our office would probably kill someone if they tried to deny us our snacks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

Pissing me off this morning:

4AM Call from our SIP provider because we've had 600+ minutes worth of calls to Morocco between 3 and 4 am.

Reason for this? Provider turned off security on our SIP connection allowing anyone to reach our SBC.

They put in a priority off-hours call to alert you of a fuckup they created on their own?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They're a SIP provider as well so you can be pretty sure they are going to attempt to charge you for the calls.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not pissing me off: implementing active directory, GPO, PDQ inventory. :rms:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not pissing me off: work this week.

Parking lot half empty, empty desks everywhere. Time to tinker on pet projects for three days, no interruptions!

Also the commute was loving glorious. We need a zombie plague to clear out half of humanity.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They put in a priority off-hours call to alert you of a fuckup they created on their own?

Yes, yes they did.

Thanks Ants posted:

They're a SIP provider as well so you can be pretty sure they are going to attempt to charge you for the calls.

You loving know they are.

I already woke my account rep up making sure that poo poo's not going to fly.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

As dumb as the whole NO SUGAR tirade at your place is, getting a day off for your birthday and still getting paid is drat good. You can use your days salary to buy all the treats your coworkers would normally give you and also spend the whole day doing whatever you want instead of working.

xzzy posted:

Parking lot half empty, empty desks everywhere. Time to tinker on pet projects for three days, no interruptions!

Also the commute was loving glorious. We need a zombie plague to clear out half of humanity.

This is my office too. The silence is pristine.
The commute however was a nightmare. An ice storm hit our region over the weekend and the whole city is half skating rink, half sand and salt being flung everywhere.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Bob Morales posted:

i'm a fan of any sentence that begins with "building win-win partnerships...."

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thom and the Heads posted:

i'm a fan of any sentence that begins with "building win-win partnerships...."

Especially when it's a decree by one side of that relationship, forced upon the other. Kind of defeats the underlying principle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's win-win in the sense that we get a customer which looks good on the books, and they pay us money which is good for everything.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

negromancer posted:

Pissing me off:

My degradation of bash scripting skills.

Somehow I can't remember how to plug in CLI arguments into an array in the script.

for i in {$1..$2}

does not work, as it evaluates the variables literally.

I'm sure the answer is hilariously simple but I was up working til 5am because dumb.
I use shift to cycle the arguments;
code:
while [ $# -ne 0 ]
  do 
    <something with $1>
    shift
done
This lets you have a nearly unlimited number of command line arguments, and a variable number of command line arguments.

edit: fixed code quoting crap

porktree fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 27, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Argument parsing in shell scripts always ends up looking like a shitstorm because eventually you're gonna have to rely on an if or a case to handle options.

Python's argparse has some significant issues but at least the code you write will be understandable in 2 years when you have to make modifications. It's why as soon as I realize a script is going to need more than one or two arguments, I dump bash and go for python.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I finally go back tonight and it will be me and about 3 mechanics and 4 janitors. Probably going to watch a lot of British panel shows on youtube.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Came in this morning to a bunch of people standing around the reception desk freaking out. Apparently all of our receptionists are out and the admin assistant that is covering the desk didn't know how to take the phone system out of night mode.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Argument parsing in shell scripts always ends up looking like a shitstorm because eventually you're gonna have to rely on an if or a case to handle options.

Python's argparse has some significant issues but at least the code you write will be understandable in 2 years when you have to make modifications. It's why as soon as I realize a script is going to need more than one or two arguments, I dump bash and go for python.

You can also use case statements to simplify a lot of the ifs, but if you need to nest too many, you are right, bash is not what you want.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Powershell handles arguments very cleanly too. Powershell to rule them all, Powershell to find them, Powershell profiles to bring them all and with the .net bind them :hurr:

E: has anyone dicked with PS in non-Windows lately? How's it coming?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I imagine it's a few light years off, because doesn't powershell pass objects around rather than streams of text?

I haven't seen any effort from the linux universe to implement something like that. I guess dbus can sort of kind of hand an object to another process but that's a pretty generous interpretation.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

xzzy posted:

I imagine it's a few light years off, because doesn't powershell pass objects around rather than streams of text?

It can do both. But being able to pass objects between commands through the pipeline is pretty loving cool.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

xzzy posted:

So long as it is the correct half?

*Puts away dog whistle*

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Aunt Beth posted:

Powershell handles arguments very cleanly too. Powershell to rule them all, Powershell to find them, Powershell profiles to bring them all and with the .net bind them :hurr:

E: has anyone dicked with PS in non-Windows lately? How's it coming?

I have not because I'm too scared of getting laughed at for trying to use powershell in linux.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

It can do both. But being able to pass objects between commands through the pipeline is pretty loving cool.
It really is. Took me a while to wrap my brain around the concept so I could use it effectively, but it allows you to do some slick stuff. I'm curious if MS will wind up hooking it and bash together in any sort of meaningful way since each is coming to the other's native OS.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Fool posted:

It is, until you're two pipes deep and need to walk something back to get a property from a higher object. Then you realize how loving horrible hacking together -ExpandProperty or -PipelineVariable and then pivoting that into a hashtable.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

It is, until you're two pipes deep and need to walk something back to get a property from a higher object. Then you realize how loving horrible hacking together -ExpandProperty or -PipelineVariable and then pivoting that into a hashtable.
Neither of those things seem too bad or difficult in PowerShell

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Migrating lovely software with custom database some users lost their settings (this happened if they were in the first wave of people to get the software 8 years ago and their profile had the database file path stated instead of left as server default). Finance person is having problems printing checks because they have no idea what the settings do to do their job. I tell them to give me 20 minutes I need to turn the old server on and rename the titles.

15 minutes go by I go look for them, they are talking to their boss who is also my boss starting a shitfit about this. I politely interrupt saying I can get them on the old server so they can get their settings.

What the hell is wrong with people? I said give me 20 minutes it had been less than 5 minutes before she bolted higher up the chain. This was an acceptable solution. Old hardware was almost 9 years old, was running out of drive space. It was put off way too long already give me a break. Database also supports the database over multiple files but only if they are numbered and have a max size of 50GB, single file has a max size of 130GB. Our database is 120GB. So yes changing the path was a must. We really need to just update to the new version that supports SQL.

Other people lost their settings and know how to do their job and find it inconvenient, but no one else had no idea how to do their job without them.

I'm waiting for them to fuckup and do work in test since they wanted to leave the database with TEST - COMPANY NAME in the title open so they could document other screens. There is no way to do a merge, and I warned her of it. Still going to happen and I have covered my rear end and it will be funny.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Comcast fucks up yet again.

Apparently business accounts had their account numbers changed starting in December. We paid our November bill as always way before it was due. Comcast cashed the check.

However they have lost the payment. The old and new account number shows no record of said payment, and their horrible "customer service" agents know fuckall about it. All they can do is keep parroting "our billing system does not show a record of payment, would you like to make a payment today?"

The best part is their phone tree system gives you NO other options other than make a payment if you have a past due amount. It asks no less than 4 times if you would like to make a payment and then hangs up on you if you keep saying no. I only got around it by saying agent.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

stevewm posted:

Comcast fucks up yet again.

Apparently business accounts had their account numbers changed starting in December. We paid our November bill as always way before it was due. Comcast cashed the check.

However they have lost the payment. The old and new account number shows no record of said payment, and their horrible "customer service" agents know fuckall about it. All they can do is keep parroting "our billing system does not show a record of payment, would you like to make a payment today?"

The best part is their phone tree system gives you NO other options other than make a payment if you have a past due amount. It asks no less than 4 times if you would like to make a payment and then hangs up on you if you keep saying no. I only got around it by saying agent.

Call your rep and ask them what the gently caress is going on. You could also call saying you want to open a new account if you don't have a rep so you can get past the debtor hell tree. Just say you need to speak to a manager about something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

If you have a copy of the cancelled check (your bank should give either a the physical check or the ability to get copy of it), it should be incontrovertible proof that not only you paid, but that Comcast actually endorsed and deposited the check.

If they still give e you guff, you may need to get legal involved.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Unfortunately every rep we've had is just as useless as their CSRs; basically powerless to do anything. Finally did get a CSR that requested we fax (ugh) a copy of the canceled check. Waiting on a callback for that. I suspect I will have to call them back instead.

Every single interaction I have ever had with Comcast results in something being screwed up. I always expect the worse with them.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pixaal posted:

Migrating lovely software with custom database some users lost their settings (this happened if they were in the first wave of people to get the software 8 years ago and their profile had the database file path stated instead of left as server default). Finance person is having problems printing checks because they have no idea what the settings do to do their job. I tell them to give me 20 minutes I need to turn the old server on and rename the titles.

15 minutes go by I go look for them, they are talking to their boss who is also my boss starting a shitfit about this. I politely interrupt saying I can get them on the old server so they can get their settings.

What the hell is wrong with people? I said give me 20 minutes it had been less than 5 minutes before she bolted higher up the chain.

People think you'll somehow do your fix at ludicrous speed if they whine to a manager. As if we are purposefully sandbagging everyone and only they can unlock the hacker movie speed. It's not like jobs take a certain amount of time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We recently moved, kept the same Comcast account. Moved our X1 cable box to the new place and everything fired up okay, our DVR'd shows were there and worked fine. A week later, about half of them straight up disappeared. Called Comcast and they're all "durrrr did you try turning it off and then on again? did you check the deleted items folder?" and of loving course we had. So a ticket gets opened and they promise to call us back in 48 hours, which of course never happened. So things idle for about three days until finally all shows on our DVR disappear.

So then they closed our ticket. They called while my wife was busy, she returns the call 10 minutes later and is informed the problem has been resolved and no further work is necessary. :fuckoff:

Good thing they invested in a cloud based DVR system and never bothered to make sure user data was safe and could survive something as simple as a customer moving to a new address.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
While I was still in graduate school at college I got an offer for a job in Japan that I had applied for. I was scheduled to fly out about 2 weeks after my lease on my college apartment ended. Comcast was the only broadband option in that town, so that is what I had. The last day I was in that town I dropped all comcast's equipment off at their office, paid my outstanding balance, and cancelled my service. I also removed all the money out of the checking account I had opened there, which is the one that Comcast's auto pay was hooked up to.

After I've been in Japan for a couple months threatening letters start appearing from the bank at my parents' house from the bank, saying that I had a negative balance and they were going to turn it over to debt collectors. My mom contacted me and I checked the bank account online and see that Comcast has continued to bill my (empty) account after I left. I'm not really in any position to figure out what Comcast is doing at this point, so my mom calls them on my behalf.

Turns out that cancelling your account somehow or another didn't actually cancel the autopay. Even though my account wasn't accruing a balance the autopay system was still taking out payments for what my monthly bill used to be. After about a month of fighting with Comcast my mom finally got them to refund the money for the several months of bills I didn't have service, although she never did get them to pay for the hefty overdraft fees the account had accumulated.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
We use Vivotek IP cameras and utilize their excellent (well it used to be anyways) included DVR software. We have been having a issue where the Playback fails to work on some cameras randomly. Vivotek gave me a patch to fix the issue, and initially it seemed to work.

Fast forward 2 weeks later and all hell has broken loose. The problem that was initially fixed is now 4x worse than before.

It doesn't help that their support is on PST time and their engineers are in China. Getting responses from them takes a day or more.

Any recommendations on IP camera software? Each of our branches has on average 18x 1 Megapixel+ mpeg4/h264 IP cameras. All Vivotek branded. Most of them are also ONVIF compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A friend if mine had the Comcast bundle thing where you have broadband, cable tv with extra channels, and telephone. He never got the extra channels he paid for, or the bandwidth he was supposed to. Every time he called them to complain they cancelled his phone halfway through the call and left it off for a week.