Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to this stuff but they were making some really blatant composition choices in the Shuichi scene, and not ones that seemed to imply they were getting closer together.

The real disappointment here is the bronze medal, but I guess it's a fairly realistic result on that tough a stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

There's still an episode left, but I think in the end this is a show that's about how other people influence or inspire us. It isn't about romantic relationships, explicitly, even though those are obviously influential as well. I think expecting ships or relationships to be totally defined and set in stone is both an unrealistic expectation for this show and also, boring. People's feelings aren't limited to liking one person, or liking two people the exact same way. Reina inspires, reassure, and emboldens Kumiko and Kumiko gives her emotional support and care. They probably have feelings for each other. Reina is infatuated with Taki, because he reaffirms her talents and encourages them (and also probably because he's a talented, cute older guy.) Taki probably has some sort of admiration for Reina and her talents. Shuuichi likes Kumiko, and might even be playing the trombone because of her and her sister. Kumiko probably likes Shuuichi to some extent, if just as a childhood friend. But beyond that, you have characters like Asuka and Kumiko's sister who illustrate the different ways that people respond to the influences (in their cases, parental) that others have on them.

it's why the climax of this episode is Kumiko running to her sister to tell her she loves her and she loves the eupho, and not the awards results or Reina's confession, or even the seniors addressing their juniors for the last time. It's an uplifting end for an episode of trying moments.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
controversial opinion but shuichi owns and i love him because his ridiculously awkward interactions with kumiko and all the little moments where he literally gets shoved aside are fun to watch

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm a total ignoramus when it comes to this stuff but they were making some really blatant composition choices in the Shuichi scene, and not ones that seemed to imply they were getting closer together.

Yeah. I mean I think the only time they even make eye contact is when Kumiko turns around to see him and literally goes "Oh. You." And then Shu frames the whole thing as "oh, here's your birthday present, I've literally been forgetting to give it to you for like a month." Like...squee? KyoAni could have made that scene way more romantic than they did, probably without even changing any lines of dialogue. No reason for them not to if they were planning on featuring Shu's confession from the books like people were thinking they're going to.

The Colonel posted:

controversial opinion but shuichi owns and i love him because his ridiculously awkward interactions with kumiko and all the little moments where he literally gets shoved aside are fun to watch

I just wish I knew more about him, because right now it comes down to "childhood friend, likes Kumiko, awkward," which I just find dull as dishwater. It's totally a base you could build an interesting character on, but, uh, that would've required them to give him more than an average of like one line per episode going back to season 1 episode 9.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Shuuichi has like 5 minutes or less total of screentime so I don't know what you expect.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

Shuuichi has like 5 minutes or less total of screentime so I don't know what you expect.

Exactly what it sounds like, either more screentime or none at all. As it stands, he's just a really nothing character for me because he hasn't really had an arc of his own and hasn't been a strong influence on anyone else's, so when they try to give him a moment with Kumiko like in today's episode it kind of passes like a fart - the show hasn't convinced me there's anything really romantic or even strongly inspirational there, so the gift doesn't mean anything to me, and then the rest of it is just kind of reiterating things I already know about Kumiko being nervous about the competition or dealing with Mamiko. Either give him something more interesting to do or excise him completely. He's just felt extraneous almost since the start. And, I mean, it's not disastrous for the show or anything, it just keeps bugging me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You can read between the lines a lot on Shuuichi based on how other people react to him. Like Knuckles laughing at him when Reina brushed him off.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

You can also see that Shuuichi is probably the only person who understands (or at least the only person who understands without Kumiko telling them) what it means that Kumiko's sister came to the competition

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Lol at anyone who thought Reina was over Taki as of last episode

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tir McDohl posted:

Lol at anyone who thought Reina was over Taki as of last episode

she's pretty much given up on ever being in a relationship with him but that doesn't mean she can bottle up the fact that she has feelings for him

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Background characters visual guide: https://imgur.com/a/bunLj#5Z29HX2

Further info: https://www.reddit.com/r/HibikeEuphonium/comments/5jmwx6/background_characters_of_hibike_euphonium/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this one is the best

But for real, I like how many minor character details you can spot just from looking at all their background shots together. Like the fact that drills is dating the hot rich guy, or the one girl who's always wearing lipstick.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

why are they all so cute

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The background cast is one of Eupho's biggest hidden strengths, IMO. They all barely have any lines but they could have very easily been totally faceless, but instead they all have names and little quirks and a few implied relationships. There's enough there for them to seem real, which makes the band seem more real, which makes you care more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think i ever truly appreciated just how amazingly fun and cool the characterization in eupho is until seeing all the images of glasses girl and her green-haired friend who both have their eyes permanently concealed

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
it's one of kyoani's super powerful traits. they do it even in shows where you don't expect/notice it, like kyoukai no kanata

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

it's one of kyoani's super powerful traits. they do it even in shows where you don't expect/notice it, like kyoukai no kanata
the one dude who kept making weird hand signals at the protag was the best part of kyoukai no kanata

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

gonna have to remember to check out all the bd specials as they come out

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Space Flower posted:

gonna have to remember to check out all the bd specials as they come out

these expressions are absolutely precious

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was good, but also, I'm totally sure I have a feeling of where the show realistically goes from here? It doesn't really feel like we've gotten the resolution to too many character arcs this season outside of Kumiko's sister and of course Asuka. Well Mizore too though she was only really properly introduced this season in the first place.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

What other arcs are there to wrap up?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Saying goodbye to the seniors, returning to the framing device from the first ep...that's about all that leaps out to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I dunno I'm not sure they've really closed book on Kumiko or even really Reina. She got rejected, the end? I want more from these two!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Is there an episode next week? Or is it one of those "final episode to come with the last DVD/BluRay release" type episodes?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Good Listener posted:

Is there an episode next week? Or is it one of those "final episode to come with the last DVD/BluRay release" type episodes?

It's airing next week as usual.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

esselfortium posted:

It's airing next week as usual.

Huh all right. Not sure how I missed that. I know it said "to be continued" but most places don't see to mention the 13th ep. Oh well, more tuba next week, yay.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Endorph posted:

The background cast is one of Eupho's biggest hidden strengths, IMO. They all barely have any lines but they could have very easily been totally faceless, but instead they all have names and little quirks and a few implied relationships. There's enough there for them to seem real, which makes the band seem more real, which makes you care more.

It kinda feels like they could do a retelling of everything that has happened so far, but from the perspective of any of the other different cliques. Basically, I want Sound! Timpani, The Knuckle Story.

Also, scrolling through that list reminded me that there are actually two generic-looking trombone boys, not just Suichi. All this time I thought it was Suichi who did the Taki-sensei impression at camp, but nope, other trombone guy. That moment stood out to me as the only time Suichi did anything cool or interesting, and now he doesn't even have that.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Araki posted:

It kinda feels like they could do a retelling of everything that has happened so far, but from the perspective of any of the other different cliques. Basically, I want Sound! Timpani, The Knuckle Story.

you mean Sound 3 and Knuckle

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/kyoanishop/status/812854252825550848

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Great episode. A few notes:

1) Picture: Mizore going around fist-bumping everyone pre-performance :kimchi:

2) Was this the first time that they (finally) showed the woodwinds realistically lingering around sucking their reeds? What took KyoAni so long!

3) This is 100% my conjecture, but based on how Reina was sitting on the grass after the performance the first thought I had was "Oh no, I've seen that face before" and right there I was almost positive she hosed up the solo, hence the bronze. Of course it could have just been jitters at trying to build confidence to confess, but again this could have come about because she feels like she single-handily dropped them a medal grade.

4) Excellent. Putting this in the OP for posterity.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Dec 27, 2016

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

StandardVC10 posted:

For musicians, putting a hairclip (or anything) on the stand has an order of magnitude more meaning than putting it in her hair. But maybe I'm just rooting for the poor guy now.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Finished the finale. It was...alright. I'd been worrying for a while that this season's relative lack of focus compared to the first would make it a bit hard to end strong, and I thought this episode kind of vindicated those worries a little bit.

I kind of wish some of the time we had spent on Reina's crush on Taki or something had been reallocated to more scenes with Asuka. As it was, while I found her arc satisfying, I just wasn't nearly as invested in Kumiko and Asuka's relationship as the final scene really seemed to want me to be. Wish we'd gotten more scenes of her and Kumiko interacting after Asuka's arc had gotten resolved. As it stands I feel like I've barely ever seen them interact without a thick layer of either tension or emotion overpowering the scene - they don't have a ton of opportunities to be at ease with each other like Kumiko and Reina did. Speaking of...man, Reina got almost nothing of substance this season, huh? I get that that's true to the books, but it's still a little frustrating after she was my favorite character in S1. Asuka and her relationship with Kumiko are really well written, but goddamn if Asuka's personality doesn't just drive me nuts. I don't feel like she ever really opens up to Kumiko the way Kumiko opens up to her, or the way that Kumiko and Reina are open with each other, and it makes their relationship feel a little...unfair, if that makes sense?

Still, a strong season, even if it can't compare to season 1 for me. The writing is all extremely believable and (usually) relatable, the voice acting is best-in-class, and it's easily among the best looking and most consistently gorgeous TV Anime I've ever seen - from lighting to composition to animation to body language. Just wish it had gone out a little stronger.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 28, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I have to know... does anyone finally return Ribbons' love?

a kitten fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 28, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote is not edit

But,

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
https://track4.mixtape.moe/mbtgju.webm

BUT WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i feel more sorry for the shoe supporters who saw the hairclip and thought it was going to be half as relevant here as it is in the novels, only for kumiko brush them off. but that's one of many things kyoani changed for the sake of narrative, and it's good for it. i'm glad the finale focuses on being a conclusion for what the second season was all about.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Same. I really liked the ending.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just wish I could stand Asuka worth a drat, since it's turned out that she's the core of the season. It's not even anything about how she's written, really. I totally get her character and I think she's well executed by every objective measure. But every time Kumiko needs something from her and she laughs it off or deflects or plays it off like a half-joke, I struggle not to groan. Just personally can't stand it. I don't know that she's a bad match for Kumiko, but she's definitely a bad match for me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just wish I could stand Asuka worth a drat, since it's turned out that she's the core of the season. It's not even anything about how she's written, really. I totally get her character and I think she's well executed by every objective measure. But every time Kumiko needs something from her and she laughs it off or deflects or plays it off like a half-joke, I struggle not to groan. Just personally can't stand it. I don't know that she's a bad match for Kumiko, but she's definitely a bad match for me.

Luckily she's not going to kiss you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Luckily she's not going to kiss you

• Locked thread