Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The rolling spider props have more thrust so I trimmed a set of those. It still only has enough trust to scoot around the floor though. There's just not much room inside that duct for 2 blade props to do work. People have decent success with the 3 blades so I was hoping to find a 4 blade option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have a 5823L VTX, replacing a stock crapper on an Upair One. I swapped the antenna with a cloverleaf.

I'm getting lines in the FPV and it's breaking up at about 100m if I fly it straight up.

Would a 600mw VTX help in this scenario, or am I just running into overheating? The stock setup has the VTX inside an aluminum case, which gets hot but I guess was designed to act as a heat sink. My new VTX won't fit so I've got it zip tied on until I have a 3D printed cover done. The 5828L would fit perfectly if I did go up to 600mw. I'm torn between the heatsink approach and the ventilation approach.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You should get 100m on a 25mw VTX. Where are you trying to fly it? Is there a lot of wifi around?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Having played with my toy for a while I like it! The altitude hold is nice as it definitely inspires confidence.

Is there a lot I can buy to 3d print a quad with all the electronics included? I guess this transmitter is brand specific and useless. I want to make a go pro (cheap version. It actual go pro) gimble and get some video goggles too. But yeah I can 3d print and design so no frame needed.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

3d-printable materials aren't that great for arms and frames, they're more suited to non-structural elements like camera holders.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Good enough to prototype? Thinking carbon tape after?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

Good enough to prototype? Thinking carbon tape after?
I wouldn't bother. Just buy a popular frame, use the printer for doodads (motor/arm covers, antenna anchors, that sort of stuff).

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
Fair enough.

Is their a set of the electronics somewhere then?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
buy a cnc and make your own cf frames :unsmigghh:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

A Yolo Wizard posted:

buy a cnc and make your own cf frames :unsmigghh:
Or don't because CF dust is no joke

thegasman2000 posted:

Fair enough.

Is their a set of the electronics somewhere then?
What size quad do you have in mind and what do you already own?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

evil_bunnY posted:

Or don't because CF dust is no jokeâ„¢

What size quad do you have in mind and what do you already own?

Jxd 510w and I am looking for something I can mount a go pro on! Fpv would be cool as i am mainly in it for the video platform.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gopro means 5 or 6 inch at the minimum IMO, and there's millions of decent frames for that. The problem is that getting into acro miniquads you need all the ancillaries and that means being out 500+ at the low end.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Check uavfutures on YouTube for some serious bargain hunting actually. I think some of the deals he was finding for some beginner rtf that can hold a GoPro were closer to 300 total

https://youtu.be/z2Q2KdhtmFA

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 29, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought half a Banggood order with $12 EMS shipping, and the other half with the $12 "priority direct" shipping (only appears sometimes as a shipping option, I assume it's volume related because I couldn't get it with the mini talon in there). I'll let you all know which one is actually faster to the US.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I accidentally clicked the seperate shipments if out of stock button on BG and now my devo 7e/gopro lenses have been in yhe mail since November 5th.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
This is the fpv of my little toy... not too shabby for the money. I could totally fly with this and just get an action camera mounted set on just record. The weight is the issue I guess.

https://youtu.be/AI-GPMDHz-k

edit:

This cheap camera is 60g... a mount I could print would probably weigh as much too.
http://www.gearbest.com/action-cameras/pp_461956.html?wid=21

(I am looking at cheap! I know this isn't the hobby for cheap though)

thegasman2000 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 30, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You should get 100m on a 25mw VTX. Where are you trying to fly it? Is there a lot of wifi around?

I've figured it out. The receiver is overheating. I turned off the screen for about 5 seconds mid flight after the video started to get static-y and cut out, and it was clear as day when I turned it back on. Within about 15 seconds it started to get happen again. Easily reproducible.

The pinout is only 3 wires and I'm sure will mirror the TX so I'll see if I can find a small enough receiver to swap out. The controller is pretty large so I'm sure I can fit in another one.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Got a new PDB and a Navio2 for Christmas and thought I'd show off. Just started playing with the navio and, if the weight of a Pi isn't an issue for your quad, I heavily recommend it. It's like everything I love about the pixhawk but just... more.

Makes doing really complex autonomous stuff really easy. I'm setting it up to stream video from a Pi camera over 4G GSM.

The PDB is a Matek 5 in 1 which is like 3 more than I need. :cheeky:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I took a long look at it when it became clear that 3DR would no longer support the DIY community and decided that there was too many basic issues. (Airspeed sensor being one of them).
The new Pixhawk2 can be partnered with an Edison, which in the long is a more attractive option, I think.
It's still a cool thing, though and probably one of the better alternatives out there.

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I took a long look at it when it became clear that 3DR would no longer support the DIY community and decided that there was too many basic issues. (Airspeed sensor being one of them).
The new Pixhawk2 can be partnered with an Edison, which in the long is a more attractive option, I think.
It's still a cool thing, though and probably one of the better alternatives out there.

I looked into that but I have really bad experiences working mavlink to communicate with pixhawks. I did that previously with my Pi and had communication reliability issues. Also, Edisons have their own set of usability issues. It basically came down to ease of use and scale of community support. Shrugs

Edison definitely has the Pi beat on weight and power footprint though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone over on reddit bought a Mavic. This is why we can't have nice things.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

Don't they have a hard ceiling of 400ft in the US? Thought dji baked that in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well, the upair one I got turned out to be quite the pile of poo poo.

In no particular order
The stock FPV range is about 3 minutes before the VRX overheats.
The battery compartment is so tight and requires you to yank it out and almost fling the drone every time when it finally comes loose.
Soldering job on everything is mediocre at best.
The controller smelled like electronics burning and now the drone no longer responds to the controller. FPV is a different module and it works so something is wrong with the mainboard itself.

On the plus side, due to issues with the seller on Amazon, its been returned and they've let me purchase a Phantom 3 Standard with 2 extra batteries for $380. I'd prefer the advanced for the lightbridge but the deal I got is plenty good enough to offset that. Is the wifi range that much of an issue?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Unsane posted:

I think that's part of FAA compliance.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
The software on the Mavic limits height to 500m from takeoff altitude. Some locations you have to "authorize" yourself and agree to fly legally and some locations you're locked out from flying completely (airports). I wonder what brought that Mavic down, it should RTL on lost connection as long as everything is functioning. Could have just been a momentary disconnect also.

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

I guess even though he is 1000ft up and 1.5 miles away, that should still be in range. But since it's over residential you really don't know the rf situation. Hope he set his RTH, otherwise someone got a new toy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

He set it to sports mode, which apparently overrides these limits. Also, he lost it due to high wind at the altitude and went to buy a new one two days later.

--edit:
So what is it with DJI's wifi signal range (RC and video) being that much larger compared to old school 2.4GHz remotes, that would have long cut out. They're both subject to the same RF regulations and power output respectively, IIRC.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 2, 2017

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unsane posted:

I guess even though he is 1000ft up and 1.5 miles away, that should still be in range. But since it's over residential you really don't know the rf situation. Hope he set his RTH, otherwise someone got a new toy.

Surely it's in small pieces.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I went to browse some batteries and came across this:

Hahahaha holy poo poo

The Quanum "Overlord" 6 Antenna Diversity Receiver :shepface:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

If you need a replacement APM power module, I'd suggest not to buy from "flygoodly" on ebay.

Enormous crusty blobs of solder on the shunt resistor, nearly touching the legs on the regulator IC. Ugh.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That is one messy loving assembly job :mad:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

While I went about replacing my receiver today, because for some reason a long-range system can't do 300 meters anymore while my transmitter is beaming 100mW into the air, I noticed that my BrainRE1+MPB stack was only mounted with a single nylon standoff to the frame. Must have been some crash to make them disappear. Can't even remember any hard crashes recently.

...and of course I don't have any more standoffs of the right size.

Mister Sinewave posted:

The Quanum "Overlord" 6 Antenna Diversity Receiver :shepface:
Do want!

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Soldering PDB's has to be one of my least favorite things. Tried soldering 14 gauge wire to a board the size of a small postage stamp and it was unpleasant. Too much of a heat sink to get a good solder. Anyone have any advice?

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

BedBuglet posted:

Soldering PDB's has to be one of my least favorite things. Tried soldering 14 gauge wire to a board the size of a small postage stamp and it was unpleasant. Too much of a heat sink to get a good solder. Anyone have any advice?
What kind of iron are you using? For items with a lot of thermal mass, you want a powerful iron that can heat the joint itself quickly, before the entire piece heat soaks. From there, it will come down to practice and technique. Solder once, let the piece cool down before attempting to solder again.

For small items, I usually spend a few minutes fiddling with holding it steady, so that the area to solder is where I need it. Once oriented and secured, the soldering itself is relatively fast.

I use a Metcal iron and have been since I first learned what I know about 10-12 years ago. Metcal irons are weird in that many of them don't have a temperature control (the temp is set by changing out the tip) but they are excellent other than that.

Edit: also tin the stripped wire ends before soldering them to connectors/boards.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 3, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Put some tin on the pad, soak the end of the 14 AWG in tin, then put the tinned end on the pad and get a good blob of tin on the tip of the iron to put on both. There's usually enough heat in the blob and top to melt everything and bind it. Look to get it right the first time, making it melt again will be fun otherwise.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Can you guys suggest some sort of carrying/storage case? I have a Mavic and got the accessory pack with 3 batteries/car charger/etc. It would be nice to have a way to keep everything together. TIA.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

If you need a replacement APM power module, I'd suggest not to buy from "flygoodly" on ebay.

Enormous crusty blobs of solder on the shunt resistor, nearly touching the legs on the regulator IC. Ugh.

If I'm going cheap, I get the $10 one off of bg or rctimer. There's also plenty of cheap multirotors pdbs that can put out 5v and an apm accepted current / voltage sensing. Nice not China Hall effect ones start at $21

Combat Pretzel posted:

He set it to sports mode, which apparently overrides these limits. Also, he lost it due to high wind at the altitude and went to buy a new one two days later.

--edit:
So what is it with DJI's wifi signal range (RC and video) being that much larger compared to old school 2.4GHz remotes, that would have long cut out. They're both subject to the same RF regulations and power output respectively, IIRC.

If you ask ham folk, there's more to getting a signal out far than just wattage. Ocusync, which is in the mavic (and presumably every other new release) is a software improvement. Presumably they've changed how their digital data is compressed, packaged and transmittrd for better reliability at further ranges. It's worth noting that previous gen dji products have had their range worsened in the past couple of patches due to FCC requirements (I have to go manually enable the 32ch hack on my device in order to get comparable link reliability to the release version of the inspire 1 now). The p3s is apparently abysmal now in comparison to its already compromised link quality on release.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 3, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Unsane posted:

400 is not a hard limit because there are several ways in which a person flying under hobby or commercial rules can fly over 400 feet AGL. Even before the rule changes in 2015, it was a safety guideline, not a legal requirement. The AMA lobby stopped it from being part of the rules back in 2012.

Edit: those Reddit threads were the worst. Like "if rcgroups members were actually redditors" the worst. I had a dude stalking me and commenting on old me_irl posts because of comments like the above.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 3, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I have to go manually enable the 32ch hack on my device in order to get comparable link reliability to the release version of the inspire 1 now
Gotta love regulations. Makes you wonder why they're not getting poo poo for enabling a bypass, tho. Same with my Crossfire, since recently, they're locked to regional regulations, for certification, like 25mW and 868MHz here in Europe. But do the Konami code, and you'll be able to do up to 2W and switch to 915MHz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Combat Pretzel posted:

Gotta love regulations. Makes you wonder why they're not getting poo poo for enabling a bypass, tho. Same with my Crossfire, since recently, they're locked to regional regulations, for certification, like 25mW and 868MHz here in Europe. But do the Konami code, and you'll be able to do up to 2W and switch to 915MHz.

My understanding is that based on the power that we are at nobody really gives a poo poo. Several watts is much more than normal, but compared to a few hundred watts for ham guys or cb guys, :shrug: