Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I watched the whole thing on YouTube. Ye olden times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

VCD rips were ritually passed around my high school economics class, but only the first half of the show before the mindfucks start happening. I didn't see the full series till about 5 or 6 years later.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If anyone says they don't like the bohemian rhapsody amv, they're lying :colbert:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

SHISHKABOB posted:

I watched the whole thing on YouTube. Ye olden times.

Same here, entirely in japanese, every episode in three parts. Then I watched EoE in english because that was all I could find.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Same here, entirely in japanese, every episode in three parts. Then I watched EoE in english because that was all I could find.

The Gendo english VA they had for EoE was a lot worse than the regular series. The regular series one was pretty good.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

iospace posted:

The Gendo english VA they had for EoE was a lot worse than the regular series. The regular series one was pretty good.

EoE gendo was the same as original gendo. I think it was Hyuga, Maya and Fuyutski who got different VAs. Gendo didn't change until the Directors cut versions of 21-24 and that guy is currently doing the Rebuild movies.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RMZXAnarchy posted:

EoE gendo was the same as original gendo. I think it was Hyuga, Maya and Fuyutski who got different VAs. Gendo didn't change until the Directors cut versions of 21-24 and that guy is currently doing the Rebuild movies.

I swore EoE and series were different, but I guess I was wrong. Either way, Tristan MacAvery was spot on.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I made sure to watch it in English so I could hear Asuka say baka

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

VCD rips were ritually passed around my high school economics class, but only the first half of the show before the mindfucks start happening. I didn't see the full series till about 5 or 6 years later.

I can't imagine. What was your opinion before seeing the resolution? (And right after?)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RMZXAnarchy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yn9RDrD3H8

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I always thought Fuyutski sounded cool in those lines.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I can't imagine. What was your opinion before seeing the resolution? (And right after?)

TBH I don't really remember much of an impact aside from talking with classmates about the nature of the angels and the cross shaped explosions and stuff. Pretty sure my reaction to seeing the full series through (not sure if I had my hands on EoE at that point or not) was pretty WTF and left me with a lot more questions than answers. It wasn't really till the 2nd full watch-through that I had enough of a critical language to appreciate the show. It's still the only anime I enjoy and watch every year or so.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was 13 right on the tale end of 8th grade when a buddy showed me the whole series. Totally dank. That's is definitely the perfect age to share the angst train with Shinji.

I do appreciate the rebuilds highlighting how selfish he acts when pushed to his limits and how he's on the tract to becoming his father. Not that this was exactly underplayed in the series, but I think it was the scene in rebuild 1 where he's begging to pilot Eva unit 1 has a totally different tone than the series. Less self pitying? but that pity isn't replaced with a self confidence or arrogance, but a kind of justification, or hope, that by doing so he'll achieve that confidence or whatever

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Original series Shinji had plain ol' depression that occasionally manifested itself as intense anger, whereas he's a bit more like Charlie Brown having the football perpetually tugged away from him in Rebuild.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
I knew Eva by reputation from the internet, knew that people either loved it or hated it. Had been into anime for about a year when it aired on adult swim, so I decided to see what the fuss was about. Thought it was rad as hell from the opening shots and it's been my jam ever since. Seeing one ep per week worked well, gave me time to mull things over and get hype for the next ep. This was all when I was wrapping up high school and here I am still talking about it 10+ years later. :shobon:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I honestly can't remember where or when I watched NGE. It's like I just absorbed it via cultural osmosis.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I first watched a chunk of it when I was in the middle of a pretty bad period of depression as a teenager.

That was a terrible idea.

I came back to it several years later, depression mostly behind me and discovered, holy poo poo, this show I thought was terrible is really good on several levels. Now I'm an awful terrible Evangelion fan even though I like the dub more than the sub. :ninja:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Dub rules.

I think it's very passable

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Obvious troll try again

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anything is passable after bleach dubs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Better.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Dub is good, goons have bad opinions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
All dubs are bad and the EoE dub especially so. The TV dub isn't any worse than normal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All dubs are bad and the EoE dub especially so. The TV dub isn't any worse than normal.

The existence of Panty and Stocking alone makes that idea complete bullshit

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The existence of Panty and Stocking alone makes that idea complete bullshit

Panty and Stocking in English isn't so much a dub as it is a new show with a new script that happens to use the same animation

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Only dub Asuka is real. :colbert:

Otherwise, yeah pretty much.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'll defend the FMA:B dub in a fistfight to the death.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dub Gendo is kick rear end:colbert:

Frogisis
Apr 15, 2003

relax brother relax
Scratchy dub Misato and whispery dub Rei are pretty great too. Overall though I don't think the dub had very good direction. A lot of the time it doesn't really sound like they know what they're saying.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the dub has some inspired moments that i appreciate, but overall is inferior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HgKRAtXaI

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Panty and Stocking in English isn't so much a dub as it is a new show with a new script that happens to use the same animation

Wait, really? Any context for this?

I had a friend show me the whole thing subbed and now I feel like I've made a huge mistake.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Wait, really? Any context for this?

I had a friend show me the whole thing subbed and now I feel like I've made a huge mistake.

You haven't. Now watch the dub. They're both fantastic, and not that different. It's mostly a matter of tone and the greater capacity of English to be foul-mouthed (see: the jp track's heavy use of en swearing).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think PSG's dub also works so well because it's already a very westernized show.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
PSG basically realized that a large part of the charm of the show in japanese is all the goofy, engrish swearing and other nonsense. So when they dubbed it they pretty much redid the script entirely to keep the same gist to it but change most of the insults, references, etc. So you get things like god drat Pippy Long Stocking references as insults against some of the demons. Both versions of the show are different enough from each other that watching it both ways is well worth it and it's pretty much impossible to say one is better than the other because the dub never tried to exactly be the original.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Vermain posted:

I'll defend the FMA:B dub in a fistfight to the death.

Vic is a bad Ed and I heard 5 seconds of Envy and that was also bad.

Also the Evangelion dubs are bad because they're heavyhanded and often ruinous when they start touching the mix.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
the EoE english dub is actually a meme and not a real concerted effort, sorry

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i am not going to watch a show called panty and stocking. like what the hell, why is it called that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The name of the main characters are Panty and Stocking

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
With Garterbelt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i am not going to watch a show called panty and stocking. like what the hell, why is it called that

to provoke this reaction

it's basically Hiroyuki Imaishi being exposed to Drawn Together and Ren and Stimpy and thinking to himself "I can make a much, much better cartoon about sex, boogers, and farting"