Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
New Chapter of Ookami Shounen.

Even if the translator decided to "man up" Kei and Botan's dialog. HE SAID IT, THE WIG CAME OFF, AND AOI SAW AND HEARD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Last chapter of Silver Gymnasium was uploaded.

It sure is raining hard right now.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Schubalts posted:

New Chapter of Ookami Shounen.

Even if the translator decided to "man up" Kei and Botan's dialog. HE SAID IT, THE WIG CAME OFF, AND AOI SAW AND HEARD.

This dialogue is so bad. :sigh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So I finished Symphogear and both Hibike! Euphonium season 2 and Flip Flappers ended. Feels kinda empty now. :v:

A bit late but I'm not so sure about Simoun, when I saw it years ago it wasn't very enjoyable. The setting was interesting and all however the characters were pretty much unlikable shits. One scene that sticks out in my memory is when the main character goes joyriding with the youngest priestess and they end up captured by an enemy soldier and somehow talk about their reasons for being there despite not speaking the same language. On one hand it might be better the second time but it might be worse than I remember too.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/harem_de_hitori/mf/v01/c001/52/

this was really good

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

Schubalts posted:

Yep, I wasn't prepared for how much the writer kept twisting the knife in the final chapter, I'm not even sure if the last bit was a real event or just the lonely girl imagining a happy ending for herself.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

:agreed:

Hoshino Lily sure is good a drawing cute girls/guys/guys that look like girls/spirit guys that look like spirit girls.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It's back to the bad translator, but a new acchi kocchi chapter!

http://bato.to/reader#d224f336096f969e

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

putting it on my list, I really need to get around to reading more of her stuff since I've liked pretty much everything I've read

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

sinky posted:

Hoshino Lily sure is good a drawing cute girls/guys/guys that look like girls/spirit guys that look like spirit girls.

the guys that look like girls are good but her, uh, tops all have stereotypical yaoi face which is a bit disappointing

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

sinky posted:

I would like her manga more if she'd actually complete her longer series instead of going on hiatus :sigh:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Schubalts posted:

The last chapter, but there's a 20-page follow-up that has yet to be translated - according to Pixiv, it's called "I'm Home".

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Apparently people are unhappy about the English Bloom into You cover:

That font choice is pretty abysmal though so I can't blame them. Those fuckin hearts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not even a 'cover everything in hearts' kind of series from what I remember.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Why even write romance if you don't go full

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terper posted:

Why even write romance if you don't go full

Oh hey I remember liking that series then I forgot all about it, is it still going?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

That font choice is pretty abysmal though so I can't blame them. Those fuckin hearts.

There's definitely way worse, and that's a better cover than Bloom Into You deserves. :v:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

Aside from the title it's the same cover as the original though. Granted the other two volumes have better cover art imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Which which girl is doing the blooming and which is being bloomed into? My guess is that light-hair is blooming into dark hair.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh hey I remember liking that series then I forgot all about it, is it still going?

yeah, it got a new chapter not terribly long ago but it's pretty slow with the updates

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Motto posted:

Aside from the title it's the same cover as the original though. Granted the other two volumes have better cover art imo

The font is really the thing people are complaining about (that I've seen), because it just doesn't fit the mood of the series at all.

Ytlaya posted:

Which which girl is doing the blooming and which is being bloomed into? My guess is that light-hair is blooming into dark hair.

The current theory is that it's referring to (love for) dark-hair blooming in light-hair('s heart), though it sort of involves some wordplay in the Japanese title that is hinted at by the English title (it's one of those series where it had a JP and EN title from the very start).

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Having not read the series, I assume it is not goofy lighthearted shoujo like the font might suggest?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Having not read the series, I assume it is not goofy lighthearted shoujo like the font might suggest?

It's not.

It's also not very good.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's also not very good.

I think it's pretty good, but granted I don't remember anything about volume 1 or 2 and haven't read any of volume 4 yet, so my opinion is mostly just based on volume 3.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
All the protagonists are emotionally damaged in ways that lead to needless drama, so the manga oscillates between somewhat hopeful that the characters will get over their stupid hangups and dumb, contrived drama.

I can see it maybe having a decently satisfying conclusion eventually but it's taking its time to stop sucking.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, it's about those issues so it's not really needless...

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

The issues all feel pretty relatable imo too.* Yuu is worried she'll never love anybody, but really she's just a late bloomer + didn't realize she was gay, Touko just has the classic "gotta live up to my older sibling" thing, with the added complication of the sibling having died young, and Saeki just feels jealous that her best friend is starting to spend more time with some new person. Heck I was in all those shoes to some degree or another in high school myself (except I was the older sibling).

I feel like the drama gives off an intentional "everything seems like the end of the world when you're a teenager" vibe, which is I think helped by the fact that while the characters treat everything super seriously, the presentation never feels like it gets too heavy.

I could certainly be wrong about all this and it could still go completely off the rails, but so far it hasn't really betrayed my expectations (through end of vol 3). It may also help that I've been reading it in volume-sized chunks as those come out, instead of chapter by chapter?

*Except I guess that one student council dude, he's kind of a weirdo, but he also doesn't show up much so :shrug:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

some people just got a hateboner for anything that isnt meaningless fluff

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
is taht what you call your posts ahahahahaha

e; poo poo, i misread

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I don't really feel like it's all that dramatic anyway to be honest. I mean there are a few scenes relating to Touko's hangups, but mostly it's pretty drat fluffy with just enough stuff going on to keep it from being SoL. And for their hangups the main romance is developing pretty steadily too.

Plus the weirdo guy doesn't get any screentime to be weird in either which is a plus.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Davincie posted:

some people just got a hateboner for anything that isnt meaningless fluff

In fairness, there's a place for fluff. Especially these days I like to read manga for happy stuff more than drama because I get enough of that poo poo normally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Well, not all drama is created equal. Some drama is cliche and overdone (or completely ridiculous) while other drama deals with real issues in a mature manner.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Speaking of drama, OK not really, it's a new chapter of Colette Decides to Die!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I think Bloom Into You is fantastic

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Bloom Into You, that comes up in this good interview about yuri on Sakuga Blog.

https://twitter.com/SakugaBlog/status/816609143146639360

I want to read that Shimura one and also the cooking one.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

and also the cooking one.

Good news: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/shinmai_shimai_no_futari_gohan

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's not.

It's also not very good.

What's it like on a scale of 10 to Citrus?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you think Citrus is the worst a yuri manga can get think yourself lucky.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh I glanced here at a good time?

I've started reading A Kiss And A White Lily.

1. The girls kiss.
2. The art, particularly facial expressions, seem really good.
3. The goofy genius girl is really dominant which is interesting.

What I'm puzzled about is the cross hatching/tone techniques. The mangaka seems to mix using autotone and traditional cross hatching techniques and this is the first time I'm noticing this. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

What I'm puzzled about is the cross hatching/tone techniques. The mangaka seems to mix using autotone and traditional cross hatching techniques and this is the first time I'm noticing this. Is this normal?

I don't feel like that's particularly uncommon, but I don't really have any other examples on hand. One thing I find interesting about that series is that each volume centers largely around a different couple (though the main two are always involved to some extent).

It's kind of weird how the English community seems have settled on "A Kiss and a White Lily" for the title when that leaves out the "for her" part of the Japanese title, especially since even the Engrishy version of the title on the Japanese covers has "[...] for my dearest girl" in it.