Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Nice not China Hall effect ones start at $21
Link please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

http://www.mauch-electronic.com/apps/webstore/

You'll need one of their BEC's as well, so it's a bit more than $21, but they are highly rated.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/03/uvify-draco-racing-drone/?sr_source=Facebook

A couple of my friends are involved with developing and it's been interesting to see it evolve.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

i own every Bionicle posted:

My understanding is that based on the power that we are at nobody really gives a poo poo. Several watts is much more than normal, but compared to a few hundred watts for ham guys or cb guys, :shrug:
Here in the EU there's strict regulations, how much they're enforced depends on the exact country. Apparently it went as far as a very few larger race events in Germany having been visited by measuring vans of the Bundesnetzagentur, to see if people are overstepping their bounds.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/03/uvify-draco-racing-drone/?sr_source=Facebook

A couple of my friends are involved with developing and it's been interesting to see it evolve.

get your friends to sell those dampers separately.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-rear end...html?rmmds=cart

This is stupid to pass up when I have no FPV equipment, right? With the additional 20% off it's $135, or the same price as the goggles and transmitter alone. Free drone, right?!?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Judge Schnoopy posted:

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-rear end...html?rmmds=cart

This is stupid to pass up when I have no FPV equipment, right? With the additional 20% off it's $135, or the same price as the goggles and transmitter alone. Free drone, right?!?

It's got proprietary batteries and battery connector according to those images, I'd avoid.

Also this side view lmao:

MAXXXXX AIRFLOW

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

bring back old gbs posted:

It's got proprietary batteries and battery connector according to those images, I'd avoid.

Also this side view lmao:

MAXXXXX AIRFLOW

The image on the site uses the tagline "Delicate and compact".

One of those words isn't something I'd want associated with something I'll likely be slamming into objects at high speed.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The frame is a day 1 scrap for sure, but I still come out of it with 4 2300kv motors, a 520 TVL camera, 600 mW VTX. I doubt the ESCs can be scrapped from that frame.

And the transmitter + goggles for $135.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I mean you can probably jury rig a proper battery on there, and if you're just going to scrap it then probably fly it till it breaks and then part it out.

I've seen worse ways to spend $135.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
That package looks like 100% crap, and if it doesn't drive you away from the hobby, you will replace every single piece of it including the goggles and transmitter.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
would you like 400 6x4.5 props for $10 well here you go http://www.banggood.com/200-Pairs-of-Eachine-Direct-Drive-6045-6x4_5-ABS-Propeller-CW-CCW-White-for-250-260-RC-Multirotors-p-1119177.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any opinion on these type of circular polarized antennas? Ostensibly they're really rad at rejecting wrongly polarized signals.

http://www.maartenbaert.be/quadcopters/antennas/pagoda-antenna/

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
My short cutting from almost 2 years ago just came back and bit me. I wired the LED strips in my flying wing backwards, so instead of digging them out and fixing it, I wired it opposite at the battery plug (so black is pos, red is neg). So while this thing looks great, it also let off a small puff of smoke when I plugged it in. Wonder what the odds are a TS5823 Vtx is protected from reverse polarity :/

The little "wings" sit on the battery, with two velco straps holding it down.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 9, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any opinion on these type of circular polarized antennas? Ostensibly they're really rad at rejecting wrongly polarized signals.

http://www.maartenbaert.be/quadcopters/antennas/pagoda-antenna/

The question is how they perform after you encase them in hotglue, as otherwise they would die after the first crash.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So I just built a super tiny whoop kind of on a whim. Set up:

Furious FPV AcroWhoop FC
MMW Insane motors (19000kv)
VAS 798T
Lumenier 205 mah 25C

I decided to run the stock Blade frame to save weight over the E010, though I bought one of those in case I break this one. I did reinforce it with some welder glue at all the motor mount joints, and a crossbrace of carbon rods at the bottom. After a bunch of flights and crashes, no breakage.

It's amazing. I am shocked at how good it flies. Power is almost as good as a brushless mini and the stock PIDS on the acrowhoop are very good (I increased roll and pitch D a little for better stops).

You can roll, flip, and loop in your living room though you have to be quick. Flying in rate mode is so much more fun than the standard whoop. I enjoyed the regular whoop for poking around and showing people how cool FPV can be (and annoying people) but I didn't fly it much besides that. Flight times are short (1:45-2:00) though better than people said. This is scratching the same itch as my regular mini quads indoors.

A friend of mine has an RS90 and is building a doinker, and I really prefer this. It's so much...friendlier. The little brushless quads are like a hand vacuum flying around your head and you could potentially do some real damage with one if you hit something at full speed. This is just as quiet and harmless as any other whoop. It's also an hour to put it together, rather than a weekend of fiddly soldering.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The question is how they perform after you encase them in hotglue, as otherwise they would die after the first crash.
One of the sellers of these over on Etsy sells theirs with a tapered TPU shell.

https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/486924832/pagoda-2-lhcp-58-ghz-antenna

I was mostly looking for a new antenna, that's also LHCP, because everyone else I fly with runs RHCP and I'd like my video as disruption free as possible. I was mainly interested in that Lumenier AXII, because it ostensibly has an 1.0 axial ratio (i.e. nice cross-polarization rejection, too), but they're not available yet as LHCP RP-SMA here in Europe yet. And on various forums, plenty of people were like Pagoda this and Pagoda that. And it's cheap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Golluk posted:

My short cutting from almost 2 years ago just came back and bit me. I wired the LED strips in my flying wing backwards, so instead of digging them out and fixing it, I wired it opposite at the battery plug (so black is pos, red is neg). So while this thing looks great, it also let off a small puff of smoke when I plugged it in. Wonder what the odds are a TS5823 Vtx is protected from reverse polarity :/

The little "wings" sit on the battery, with two velco straps holding it down.
That pod looks loving neato.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

One of the sellers of these over on Etsy sells theirs with a tapered TPU shell.

https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/486924832/pagoda-2-lhcp-58-ghz-antenna

I was mostly looking for a new antenna, that's also LHCP, because everyone else I fly with runs RHCP and I'd like my video as disruption free as possible. I was mainly interested in that Lumenier AXII, because it ostensibly has an 1.0 axial ratio (i.e. nice cross-polarization rejection, too), but they're not available yet as LHCP RP-SMA here in Europe yet. And on various forums, plenty of people were like Pagoda this and Pagoda that. And it's cheap.

Still wont be strong enough...but it's fairly cheap, so may be worth shot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:lol: about a year ago I went into my friendly neighborhood $15-bottle-of-CA-glue hobby shop and asked if they had XT60 connectors & they looked at me like I had just taken a poo poo on their floor.

Today I went in to buy some of those brass tube things and took a quick look at the battery case, it's now 100% stuff with XT?? connectors

nerox
May 20, 2001

Mister Sinewave posted:

:lol: about a year ago I went into my friendly neighborhood $15-bottle-of-CA-glue hobby shop and asked if they had XT60 connectors & they looked at me like I had just taken a poo poo on their floor.

Today I went in to buy some of those brass tube things and took a quick look at the battery case, it's now 100% stuff with XT?? connectors

I am surprised that they have XT connectors now. XT60 was developed by hobby king (or any internet retailer) who has to be the bane of any hobby shop owner.

My local hobby shop is useless for about anything that I would want and I only go there if I need something absolutely right then, and even then they most likely don't stock it and if it they did its 50%+ over the cost of what I can get it for on the internet.

edit: In other news, my club lost its flying field recently and we have been on the search for a new one. We have a good prospect right now and in the plans for that spot, we have a dedicated section solely for FPV Quad racing and setting up gates. Currently, the only people in the club that fly FPV quads are myself and one other guy. Luckily, we are both officers and have managed to convince the other guys in our club accept the fact that quads and FPV are here to stay and are where the new lifeblood in the hobby are going to be coming from.

nerox fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 9, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

XT60 is in the public domain. So it's not like there's license money going towards HK.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
So some rudimentary lift capacity tests of my toy quad mean I am poo poo out of luck! The jxd 510 withe everything removed can lift 30g... cheap action camera is 60g. I am guessing their isn't any way to up the lift? Like Better props? Local guy is selling a phantom somewhen so will see what he wants for it and what model it is.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
To up the lift: better battery (higher discharge), better battery (more voltage), bigger props (if they fit), more blades on the props, more pitch to the blades, and better motors.

With the prop and battery adjustments, keep in mind that you're adding to the weight of the quad as well as increasing power.

I don't think you're going to be able to heft an action cam with less than 3" props.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah as already mentioned XT is a public domain design.

nerox posted:

. Luckily, we are both officers and have managed to convince the other guys in our club accept the fact that quads and FPV are here to stay and are where the new lifeblood in the hobby are going to be coming from.

Come take over my local club, thanks :cheers:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Dessert Rose posted:

To up the lift: better battery (higher discharge), better battery (more voltage), bigger props (if they fit), more blades on the props, more pitch to the blades, and better motors.

How should I be looking at batteries? I have a 3.7v 500mah stock one and got some 700mah in the mail today. I presumed that would increase flight time and not power (lift).

It comes with 14cm props like these http://imgur.com/a/Pk0eV Would tri propw work better?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You're not going to lift an action cam with a $100 drone flying on a 1S 0,5Ah battery.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Even if you did, the footage is going to be super jerky and impossible to use for anything.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yeah as already mentioned XT is a public domain design.

Come take over my local club, thanks :cheers:

Yeah I know XT is public domain, but nothing local hobby shops sell use it by default, which is why I am surprised they stock it.

If you are in a club and flying FPV, buy a cheap second set of goggles and take members on flights. Everyone that has agreed to do it has absolutely loved it. I think a lot of club members are just afraid of flying quads, since its not their normal skill set. I have had club members fly my FPV wings which they enjoy, they just don't want to spend the cash on the equipment and learn the technical details of doing it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

evil_bunnY posted:

You're not going to lift an action cam with a $100 drone flying on a 1S 0,5Ah battery.

What battery would be better?

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Even if you did, the footage is going to be super jerky and impossible to use for anything.

I am looking at an action cam with image stabilisation baked in, and then a 3d printed gyro. Its not for professional work just like nice passing shots of my boy playing rugby and stuff.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

3S or 4S. And a drone that's usually attached to that sort of battery, too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

thegasman2000 posted:

3S 1A at the least I guess, attached to the 3S quad you'll need. If you want passing shots from something as slow as humans just buy a phantom from a couple years ago.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

nerox posted:

Yeah I know XT is public domain, but nothing local hobby shops sell use it by default
wh..what do they use? Tamiya connectors?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I know that Tamiya plugs are notorious for melting under high power but why do standards keep shifting?

when I first started RC, it was all about Deans (and they were terrible) then E-flite/Losi connectors, and now XT60.

granted I have shifted from cars to aircraft in that time, but is there any kind of reason why plugs change over time?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Probably the being terrible at not melting under high current loads contributed to ongoing new designs. The XT plugs seem to have evolved out of miniquads, with what drawing up to 70-90A peak. Friend of mine tried to stick to Deans, until he got better and started pushing his quad. Guess what happened.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

And done!. My mapping plane is now ready for testing. Need to find a more suitable place to fly it from as my usual spot is just too high risk for stuff like this.
Had to shift the wings back to make it balance. Happy with the overall look...hopefully it'll fly well too!!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably the being terrible at not melting under high current loads contributed to ongoing new designs. The XT plugs seem to have evolved out of miniquads, with what drawing up to 70-90A peak. Friend of mine tried to stick to Deans, until he got better and started pushing his quad. Guess what happened.

If the Deans are soldered properly they can easily take anything a miniquad can put out. I've run them on many 3D fixed wing planes that pull 90 amps sustained (from a 4S 4000 mah or 6S 3700 mah battery, not a 1500) and never had a problem. I also like Deans because you can solder 10 gauge wire to them easily which many battery manufacturers insist on for some reason in the larger sizes.

But XT60's with no springs to wear out or tabs to get out of alignment are probably a superior connector. I'll wind up changing my miniquads over probably if for now other reason than I'm sick of changing connectors on new packs.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

i own every Bionicle posted:

If the Deans are soldered properly they can easily take anything a miniquad can put out. I've run them on many 3D fixed wing planes that pull 90 amps sustained (from a 4S 4000 mah or 6S 3700 mah battery, not a 1500) and never had a problem. I also like Deans because you can solder 10 gauge wire to them easily which many battery manufacturers insist on for some reason in the larger sizes.

But XT60's with no springs to wear out or tabs to get out of alignment are probably a superior connector. I'll wind up changing my miniquads over probably if for now other reason than I'm sick of changing connectors on new packs.

XT60's do get loose over time and you have to re-separate the pins on the connector.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Contacts with springs are superior to contacts that depend on copper or brass being springy.

The big advantage of XT plugs... is as far as I can tell, their low intimidation factor, and ease of connection. Deans take some finesse if the springs are fresh.

I'd still be an anderson powerpole guy, excepting one major factor. They're huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol Josh Bardwell trolled into explaining why he wears the poo poo he does in his videos

Just do your thing man