Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Twenty-Seven posted:

ah so the "change phone" every time thing is the trick? 1 for 1 so far, i'll keep trying next time it's acting up. thanks.

Recently I've had success with the Fuji app by just waiting. Sometimes it will feel like it takes way too long (multiple minutes), but (at least so far) it always eventually connects and works.

I agree it is bad though. I hope an update is planned somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
I have used it with a 6 plus and 7 plus, both with the X-T1 and X-T2 and although it isn't great, it is much better than 50/50. It loses the connection sometimes but that has only been when I start the app and leave it not being used for a little bit like pairing it and then going to mess with the camera for a remote shot. Sending pictures to my phone has never been an issue except for the much longer transfer time with the X-T2 than the X-T1 (which, oddly, is usually just the first picture and then the rest are reasonable). Maybe I have just been lucky. I would not call it a "good app" but I didn't really expect a good app so I am just happy that it mostly works.

Edit: I start the wireless connection from the camera, choose the wireless network from the phone, wait until the camera says it is connected and then start the app.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Maybe it's an Android issue? Twenty-Seven what device are you working with?

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
a 6s, i mentioned in the post. to be honest it has other weird problems joining, for example, airport wifi sometimes that no one else seems to, so maybe the phone is just haunted. who knows. technology is bad.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ianskate posted:

Maybe it's an Android issue?

I haven't had any issues w/ the app with Android and an X-T1, granted I've only ever sent a photo or two at a time just to toss on Instagram.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

On my Nexus 5X I have to pair the phone and camera every time. It's a total pain and as I result I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it since buying my X-T1 about 1 year ago.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Fuji's phone app is complete trash. I have never gotten it to connect regularly and I've used 2 different cameras and had several phones. Luckily the only time I use it is to upload to instagram or text a photo to a friend. If I was relying on it as a remote release I'd go crazy.

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
Does anyone have the Fuji 100-400? It is pricey but I am getting into birds - I would be using it with the x-T2 and wondering how fast it focuses and how it feels ( I have read that it is all plastic which sucks for the high price). I had a Sony RX10 miii but sold it since I needed the money at the time and was not into bits yet so I wasn't using it much - I liked it but I would usually bring my X-T1 (this was before I upgraded) since I enjoyed shooting with it more and the iq was better. I wish I still had it so I could see how it handles focusing on birds.

The one thing that it was very useful for was a wedding where the pastor would not let me leave the back of the church. The images I got with it were not anywhere as good as what I got with my Fuji but it was all I had that let me get up close since I was so far back - now that I have both the X-T1 and X-T2 I could theoretically put the 100-400 on one body if I were in that situation again in the future. It realistically I would not be making money with this lens - it would just be for birds most likely.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

insideoutside posted:

Does anyone have the Fuji 100-400? It is pricey but I am getting into birds - I would be using it with the x-T2 and wondering how fast it focuses and how it feels ( I have read that it is all plastic which sucks for the high price). I had a Sony RX10 miii but sold it since I needed the money at the time and was not into bits yet so I wasn't using it much - I liked it but I would usually bring my X-T1 (this was before I upgraded) since I enjoyed shooting with it more and the iq was better. I wish I still had it so I could see how it handles focusing on birds.

The one thing that it was very useful for was a wedding where the pastor would not let me leave the back of the church. The images I got with it were not anywhere as good as what I got with my Fuji but it was all I had that let me get up close since I was so far back - now that I have both the X-T1 and X-T2 I could theoretically put the 100-400 on one body if I were in that situation again in the future. It realistically I would not be making money with this lens - it would just be for birds most likely.

I picked up one about a month ago. I have only had two good chances to use it with my X-T1: 1) a local marsh with birds, 2) breeding elephant seals. I haven't had a chance to do any processing of the photos, so all of those are straight-out-of-camera.

Regarding feeling of the lens, I don't have much of a context. The last time I was taking pictures of birds was like 20 years using a manual focus camera when I was a teenager.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think I found the limit of my E-M10's IBIS. I've been using an adapted Nikon 300mm f/4 lens to take wildlife photos, but I picked up an electronic EF-MFT adapter, kind of on a whim, to see how my Canon 400/5.6 would do.

Pretty much as I expected, stabilization seems much weaker than it does with the 300. Usually when it engages, the view in the EVF seems to 'float' rather than shake with every little vibration. But there's hardly any perceptible difference to be seen when it switches on with the 400 attached, and it seems like 1/focal length is about as slow as I can go, when it's at least a couple of stops slower than that with the 300. And I do have 400mm dialed in as the lens focal length in the camera.

Granted, this is with the "3-axis" system of the EM10, not the "5-axis" system of all he other OM-D cameras.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's better than nothing, but you're still going to struggle a bit more with it than the EM5 or EM1, and even with the stronger stabilization on the 5 and 1, you're not going to have the easiest time once you're past 300mm. My EM-1's IS is pretty great but even it struggles sometimes with the OM 350mm f/2.8 at times, and some other long manual glass I've dabbled with.

insideoutside
Jan 27, 2009
I ended up buying the Fuji 100-400 today. I found one in a shop nearby for 1499 used and it was like new.

I'll check back in after I have more time with it because I didn't have any real time to take it out today and I bought it specifically for birds so I am very curious to try it with the X-T2 and birds in flight. The build quality is solid but I just wish it wasn't all plastic. I know that cuts down the weight but for 1900 bucks new I really expect more. I mean they could have at least made the switches metal, given a metal hood or something - it is disappointing. It is such a big lens already that I would totally not mind a bit of extra weight from using more metal on the lens.

The IS is great and I can hand hold shots at absurdly low shutter speeds. The AF is not as good and I wish it were faster but how it performs with non stationary birds will of course be the real test and it might be fine - we'll see. The IQ is good as expected (it better be for the price). As I had read it is sharpest up to 300 and there is a noticeable difference past that and all the way at 400. In real life this won't be an issue but I wish they could have reversed that and had it sharp at its furthest zoom if that would be possible.

I also wish they had opted for one or two primes rather than this 100-400 zoom but I don't know if that is only me who would prefer that and the majority of their customer base would like zooms. I love the 50-140, for example, but once I get a lens this long I am not going to be using it, ever, at 100 and basically bought it to shoot at its furthest. So a faster, potentially smaller lens with better materials as a 400 prime or something would have been nice, or less of a zoom range if it would reap other benefits since I doubt many people are buying this lens to shoot at 100. Of course none of this matters and it is more fair to bitch about the plastic, which they easily could have changed vs. pipe dreams of a different line of long prime zooms.

I will hopefully feel better about the purchase after I get a good day out using it for what I bought it for - sitting in my living room hanging out with my kid and shooting random birds out on the feeder at the window is all well and good but in real life I will probably love the lens vs. being the shut in autist gear reviewer taking bad pictures, pixel peeping and bitching about the "feel" of the lens. I am concerned about the af speed but hopefully it will be fine when I get outside with it.

On the plus side, my daughter was really impressed with the lens since I told her it was for birds. She asked for her own camera rather than just using my old iPhone to take pictures so I gave her my old NEX 5n and she loves it. She is 5 and I think I found the perfect user base for the NEX cameras. Anyway it is awesome that she wants to take pictures with me and I finally get to teach her how to use a camera.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Floodgates are open on leaks of the X100F, XF 50 f2, and XT-20 leading up to release:

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x100f-x-t20-50mmf2-specs-leaked-new-x100f-image/
http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-fujifilm-xf50mmf2-wr-press-images/
http://www.fujirumors.com/leaked-fujifilm-x100f-x-t20-press-photos/

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Is it time to sell my lusted-after and impossibly hard to get X-T2 already? :gonk:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The xt20 won't be quite as nice as the xt2. It's the slightly more budget-conscious model. I didn't see any specs that looked like they outclassed the xt2, and if there are any they can probably be addressed by firmware updates to the xt2. I guess maybe the rear LCD is slightly higher-resolution?

The x100f is some slick poo poo though.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The xt20 won't be quite as nice as the xt2. It's the slightly more budget-conscious model. I didn't see any specs that looked like they outclassed the xt2, and if there are any they can probably be addressed by firmware updates to the xt2. I guess maybe the rear LCD is slightly higher-resolution?

The x100f is some slick poo poo though.

Phew! For a second I thought I read a few higher specs, but I was probably wrong. It's still all speculation, though, but I'm sure it's also pretty accurate.

I am curious about the 50 f2, though. Wonder what it'll be like...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ianskate posted:

I am curious about the 50 f2, though. Wonder what it'll be like...
Exactly like the recent compact 23mm and 35mm f/2 primes except 50mm.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Looks like the same lens on the X100F, but maybe they tweaked it? At least update the AF motor to match the new processor and sensor. I'm probably gonna buy it. Maybe even sell my XT-1 and go all-in on the 35mm equivalent focal length.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My X100S has served me well since summer of 2013 (and the original X100 for a year before that) but this foul temptress is making me consider parting with it :negative:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Animal posted:

Looks like the same lens on the X100F, but maybe they tweaked it? At least update the AF motor to match the new processor and sensor. I'm probably gonna buy it. Maybe even sell my XT-1 and go all-in on the 35mm equivalent focal length.

Same lens but much faster AF, though I think that's more on the firmware. The biggest improvement to me was the joystick.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Looks like the focal plane indicator is a different distance than the X100T, and the focus ring seems a bit wider. Maybe they updated the lens. If they did, I will pre-order.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Reckon the xt2 is old enough to go down in price for big sales yet? Idk if it happens in America but theres always big sales in June for the Australian eofy.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 18, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Animal posted:

Looks like the focal plane indicator is a different distance than the X100T, and the focus ring seems a bit wider. Maybe they updated the lens. If they did, I will pre-order.

Fuji japan had a fire sale of the X100s/t tele converter. I think the X100F lens is new.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

alkanphel posted:

Same lens but much faster AF
Is this a fact or mere speculation? Would be tasty.

Xabi fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 18, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Has anyone got any feedback on the Fuji 23/1.4 or 23/2? I would quite like a faster lens than the 18-55, the 35 is just a bit too narrow for my liking and I already have an adapted Hexanon 40/1.8 which is pretty sweet. Should I just pick up a discounted X100 series or something because it seems like I can get a x100t/s for about the same price. Hell I could upgrade from my X-E2 to a T1 for about the same price too ugh.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xabi posted:

Is this a fact or mere speculation? Would be tasty.

Pretty much fact.

Saros posted:

Has anyone got any feedback on the Fuji 23/1.4 or 23/2?

The Fuji 23/1.4 is really awesome and you should just get it.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's slower to focus than the f/2 and heavier because of the extra glass but the IQ is incredible.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

It's also not a sluggish AF (like the 35mm F1.4) it's fine, just not a fast as the new f2

Its a magnificent lens. I only sold it because I got an X100T.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is "digital teleconverter" just a digital zoom? Or is it somehow less dumb/more interesting than that?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Huxley posted:

Is "digital teleconverter" just a digital zoom? Or is it somehow less dumb/more interesting than that?

Yeah it's basically just using half the sensor. Handy in a pinch if you really need the extra reach, but not something you want to depend on much.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

alkanphel posted:

The Fuji 23/1.4 is really awesome and you should just get it.

Also echoing this. It's really nice, enjoying mine a lot.

Though I've been using the 56 1.2 far more often (for portraits) this month. Maybe I'll mess around with the 35 on a portrait shoot this Friday. I've just been too happy with the 56 to even want to swap it mid shoot! Though in regards to that, nailing focus at 1.2 is an actual struggle, but when you get it... holy crap.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I looked over samples of the 23/1.4 on flickr, I found wide open shots at infinity not that sharp. I know you don't shoot landscape wide open that often, but it was one of the reasons I chose 16mm over the 23mm.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Can anyone with the Olympus 14-150 II give me a trip report? Is it worth picking one up for travel?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ianskate posted:

Also echoing this. It's really nice, enjoying mine a lot.

Though I've been using the 56 1.2 far more often (for portraits) this month. Maybe I'll mess around with the 35 on a portrait shoot this Friday. I've just been too happy with the 56 to even want to swap it mid shoot! Though in regards to that, nailing focus at 1.2 is an actual struggle, but when you get it... holy crap.

I'm choosing between the 56 and the 90 for my primary portrait lens. Have you tried both?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

So a small crack in the baseplate of my X100S right around the battery compartment. As far as I can tell it has had no impact on the camera's functions, but I would like to get it fixed because I love my X100S. However my camera is not under warranty and I'm not sure how much it will cost. Has anyone with experience with this problem before? Or could anyone give a ballpark cost on how much it would get to fix a small crack in the baseplate? Do I just have to let Fuji give me a quote?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Can anyone with the Olympus 14-150 II give me a trip report? Is it worth picking one up for travel?

If you have an EM5 or EM1 (either version), that'd give you a weather/dust sealed package that would work well for travel, but that's still fairly slow on the long end so be ready if light isn't great. What other lenses do you have so far, and what are you shooting? They're fairly expensive for making the only upgrade the weather sealing.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

DJExile posted:

If you have an EM5 or EM1 (either version), that'd give you a weather/dust sealed package that would work well for travel, but that's still fairly slow on the long end so be ready if light isn't great. What other lenses do you have so far, and what are you shooting? They're fairly expensive for making the only upgrade the weather sealing.

I have an EM10, so weather sealing ain't a factor. Right now I have the kit 14-42, 25mm 1.8, and the 40-150.

Actually now that I'm thinking about it, the only thing I'd be gaining from the 14-150 would be the 5 seconds saved swapping lenses.

I'll probably look at the 12-40 Pro and just keep the 40-150 for those times I might need a longer reach.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh I misread you. I thought you meant they had a new 40-150, didn't read the 14.

But yeah if you already have the range covered, I don't think you do a lot getting a wide range zoom.

The 12-40 f/2.8 Pro is a hell of a lens and from my experience most of my travel shots stay on the wide end anyway, but everyone's got different things they like to shoot while travelling.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
You really need a grip frame though if you plan to use the 12-40 2.8 on the E-M10. That lens is really heavy (for m43) and holding them together without a proper grip feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

torgeaux posted:

I'm choosing between the 56 and the 90 for my primary portrait lens. Have you tried both?

Not yet, just used the 56. I was thinking of stopping by B&H to test one out, but it's always tough to really test things there because there's nothing to actually practice on, and no space to do it.

The 56 is pretty heavy for the X-T2 though, to an uncomfortable point. I guess that's the biggest downside to these small mirrorless bodies... the 90 would be even worse in that regard, though visually it may be better due to background separation. If I didn't live in NYC and have lots of tighter shooting scenarios I think the 90 would be a much better choice based on that alone, but having a wider shot is more important for me.