Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
One thing to remember is that on a SSD with overprovisioning one wipe may not clear all data. It is practically inaccessible, but it probably still exist in some cells. 50% extra wiping will probably get everything, maybe, unless the drive does something funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Saukkis posted:

One thing to remember is that on a SSD with overprovisioning one wipe may not clear all data. It is practically inaccessible, but it probably still exist in some cells. 50% extra wiping will probably get everything, maybe, unless the drive does something funky.

Yeah that's why with an SSD, you should use the manufacturer tools that send secure erase commands to the whole drive.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Why not just encrypt the drive then instead of worry about whether or not some "tools" will work for wiping? At least this way you know any data is protected.

Just mash a 50 character password or something ridiculous on it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Saukkis posted:

50% extra wiping will probably get everything, maybe, unless the drive does something funky.

i always wipe just a little extra each time just to make sure everything's clean down there

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm selling an old laptop, can I use a Windows installation usb to do a wipe of the hard drive or do I need to get a special tool?

If you go to install Windows and it gives you the option of doing a full format of the disk rather than a quick one, that will overwrite the disk with zeros. You'll know it's working as it'll take hours to do. If the format finishes in 30 seconds then it didn't overwrite poo poo.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anyone got a good, free window snapping tool? i liked aquasnap well enough, but i just added a second monitor and now i'd have to pay for it

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

anyone got a good, free window snapping tool? i liked aquasnap well enough, but i just added a second monitor and now i'd have to pay for it

Honestly I ended up paying for aquasnap because it was the best of what I tried.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

How does this compare to Divvy? I've purchased it for Mac and works well but I've never heard of TidyTab or AquaSnap.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
greenshot

Read
Dec 21, 2010

He means a tool to enable windows to snap to each other, the edges of the desktop, etc. Besides, when it comes to screen capture tools ShareX is king.

I also prefer Aquasnap for that function, though I think I just found an old version before they split into free/paid and used that?

Read fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 15, 2017

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Just changed the CPU + mobo + RAM on my computer. Need to reactivate windows. Does troubleshooting in this way require a Microsoft account? I have such an account but don't currently sign into Windows with it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

From the perspective of Windows licensing, this is effectively a new computer - and without having signed in to your Microsoft account on the old 'computer' the activation fix won't work.

And yes, you'd need to sign in for that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crestfallen posted:

Just changed the CPU + mobo + RAM on my computer. Need to reactivate windows. Does troubleshooting in this way require a Microsoft account? I have such an account but don't currently sign into Windows with it.

What version of Windows are you activating, a copy of Windows 10 that was a free upgrade from 7 or 8? You'd need to have signed into a Microsoft Account with it to tie the license to your account while still on the original hardware, otherwise the license would be strictly tied to the old hardware. And you'd need to sign into that Microsoft Account to bring it over to the new hardware configuration.

If you hadn't tied the license to the account, you're going to need to try to reinstall 7 or 8 on either another drive or another partition, and then try to do the free upgrade from that. This might or might not still work, but if it does work then you can go back to your current install and it should activate.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thank you both, very helpful.

dont be mean to me posted:

From the perspective of Windows licensing, this is effectively a new computer - and without having signed in to your Microsoft account on the old 'computer' the activation fix won't work.

And yes, you'd need to sign in for that.
Thank you. My research seems to indicate the same: that I needed to tie the accounts together beforehand. drat. Before the time of licenses tied to Microsoft IDs, couldn't you call to reactivate?

quote:

What version of Windows are you activating, a copy of Windows 10 that was a free upgrade from 7 or 8?
Yes, this is correct. I have the Windows 10 key, but I'm not sure I have the old one from Windows 7.

quote:

you're going to need to try to reinstall 7 or 8 on either another drive or another partition, and then try to do the free upgrade from that.
Okay. So. Install 7 again, upgrade to 10 for free from there. This is all a separate partition. How will doing this activate the current install I have? Like, how do they talk together?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crestfallen posted:

Okay. So. Install 7 again, upgrade to 10 for free from there. This is all a separate partition. How will doing this activate the current install I have? Like, how do they talk together?

A digital fingerprint calculated from a list of the hardware in the system gets sent to Microsoft servers, when the other install tries to activate again, it will send an identical digital fingerprint and be allowed to activate.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for screen recording software?

Just whatever's free or has a trial, I need it for a one off thing.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

fishmech posted:

A digital fingerprint calculated from a list of the hardware in the system gets sent to Microsoft servers, when the other install tries to activate again, it will send an identical digital fingerprint and be allowed to activate.
Oh sure, this makes sense. Thank you for answering.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Snagit unless you're recording for hours or something.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

OBS or ShareX is what I would use, people also like: XSplit, Fraps, Camtasia.

E: Here's an image of OBS Studio set up to record a game, for reference. For simple recordings, you just need to set a capture under "Sources" and then click record when you're ready. You can change the filetype, compression, etc under Settings -> Output.

Read fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 17, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the difference between ConEmu and Cmder? I've been using ConEmu after someone mentioned it here and it works great, except that I can't get the background color for the Monokai theme to be the proper color (on my Linux box I have a really dark gray, and in ConEmu I have a lighter gray---the same gray color that Vim (using Monokai) uses as the column/row highlight color). So I downloaded Cmder to try it out and well it looks like it's the same program?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the difference between ConEmu and Cmder? I've been using ConEmu after someone mentioned it here and it works great, except that I can't get the background color for the Monokai theme to be the proper color (on my Linux box I have a really dark gray, and in ConEmu I have a lighter gray---the same gray color that Vim (using Monokai) uses as the column/row highlight color). So I downloaded Cmder to try it out and well it looks like it's the same program?

They're similar because Cmder is a fork of ConEmu. The github repo description suggests these are the main differences compared to ConEmu:

major config overhaul
monokai color scheme
amazing clink (whatever that is, https://github.com/mridgers/clink)
custom prompt layout
portability

vOv

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Read posted:

He means a tool to enable windows to snap to each other, the edges of the desktop, etc. Besides, when it comes to screen capture tools ShareX is king.

I also prefer Aquasnap for that function, though I think I just found an old version before they split into free/paid and used that?

totally misread the context / his post!

thanks for the shout on ShareX, hadn't come across that before. Looks good.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

mindphlux posted:

totally misread the context / his post!

thanks for the shout on ShareX, hadn't come across that before. Looks good.

ShareX is the defacto standard.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Is there a quick and easy photo-resizer plug in/app for Windows where I can select a crapload of jpegs and resize to whatever resolution? I'm thinking of select everything, right click and resize? Seems to me I had something like that before but be darned if I can find it now. :(

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

slidebite posted:

Is there a quick and easy photo-resizer plug in/app for Windows where I can select a crapload of jpegs and resize to whatever resolution? I'm thinking of select everything, right click and resize? Seems to me I had something like that before but be darned if I can find it now. :(

irfanview

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I'm trying to install Windows onto a new SSD. I already had a bootable Windows 7 USB stick so I put in the new SSD and the boot stick and booted from the stick, set it to install to the new hard drive. It went through some installation steps then it restarts and goes right back to the beginning asking me if I want to install Windows. What do.

Right now I have my old Windows SSD and the new empty one plugged in. What the hell is the best way to do this?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Unplug the USB stick.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah - Windows installs start by copying everything they need to the destination disk, then they reboot from said destination disk and finish setting themselves up from there. You don't need the install media after the first automatic reboot as a result. If you're ever in a situation where you want to finish the whole install without having to unplug the USB media (say, if you're working on a machine in a remote location via KVM-over-IP) then you can use BIOS settings to put your destination disk first in the permanent boot order and use the one-time boot menu to override that to start the install.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Thanks for the instant response. Really glad it ended up being something simple.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

slidebite posted:

Additionally, a 'remake' of the ancient Windows XP Image Resizer Powertoy - http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/ There are probably other identical replacements but that one has worked fine for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Good video editing software for someone who isn't super technically literate, but isn't an idiot either?

Doesn't have to be free, but that's always nice.

Something aimed at amateurs, but that has nice quality features.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Sony Vegas you can buy on steam is pretty competent. It's basically the same software as their pro stuff with a little more hand holding and some quirky but not too annoying restrictions (like a dumbed down export dialog forcing you to click an 'advanced' button every time you want to control settings).

Though I guess it's not Sony anymore, some company named MAGIX owns it now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thermopyle posted:

Good video editing software for someone who isn't super technically literate, but isn't an idiot either?

Isn't the MS Movie maker decent?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't the MS Movie maker decent?

It was discontinued a couple of weeks ago. You can no longer download it.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Microsoft still supplies a download: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/14220/windows-movie-maker-download

Maybe the installer fails when it tries to fetch the files? I dunno.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sorry if this is one of those things that always comes up, but a couple days ago Windows 10 has started requiring a password after my screen-off idle timer. As in, it used to just go to the slideshow screen after 10 minutes and turn the monitors off and I could come back to desktop by pressing spacebar, but now I have to type in my password ever. single. time. I've tried disabling the lock screen via registry, renaming the LockApp folder in SystemApps and even disabling requiring login. Now when I boot Windows it just loads right into the desktop but still when my screen-off idle time is up I have to type in my password. I hate this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Thermopyle posted:

OpenShot is relatively simple and GPL, and can do DVD, Blu Ray, or 4k output if necessary

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

mutata posted:

Sorry if this is one of those things that always comes up, but a couple days ago Windows 10 has started requiring a password after my screen-off idle timer. As in, it used to just go to the slideshow screen after 10 minutes and turn the monitors off and I could come back to desktop by pressing spacebar, but now I have to type in my password ever. single. time. I've tried disabling the lock screen via registry, renaming the LockApp folder in SystemApps and even disabling requiring login. Now when I boot Windows it just loads right into the desktop but still when my screen-off idle time is up I have to type in my password. I hate this. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Would be the first thing to check. Don't know how that's going to interact with the other changes you made, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That setting has been set to "Never" the whole time, unfortunately.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 22, 2017