Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
A rough English translation for Baki Dou Chapter 138 is out.

Spoilers below:

Superintendent General of the Metropolitan Police, Utsumi: You...
Utsumi: That...
Utsumi: Katana......
Musashi: You can run. You can hide.
Musashi: But...

Musashi: If I see you, I will cut you.

Musashi: It begins, Tokugawa.
Musashi: This is war...

:hist101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why is it again that Musashi now wants to go to war with society or something?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Why is it again that Musashi now wants to go to war with society or something?

Musashi first caught the public eye when he beat up a bunch of police, and the footage was put on YouTube. Then, Musashi killed Retsu Kaioh in front of a bunch of witnesses in Tokugawa's arena, so I'm assuming at least one higher-up official involved with Japanese law enforcement heard about that. Retsu was well known and had quite a reputation in Japan. I don't know if they're after him because of that, but anybody who bothered to investigate at all would quickly figure out that Musashi killed Retsu.

More recently, Musashi "murdered" somebody on TV, right in front of the public. After being asked a bunch of dumb questions by an interviewer, Musashi retaliated by "killing him" with his imagination technique, just like he's done to many other Baki fighters. The interviewer said that it felt like he actually died. However, Musashi technically never touched the interviewer, so there's no physical "wound" to use as evidence. The police went to speak to Tokugawa about the case, and Musashi scared them off.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
He's a lunatic samurai. I love him

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

He's a lunatic samurai. I love him

The author has some very good ideas, and some very bad ideas. I enjoy the idea of history's greatest swordsman walking around the modern world and having awkward interactions with people. That's the crazy Itagaki-style we know and love. However, I think Yujiro's super creepy antics with Hillary scared off a lot of potential fans or people willing to give Baki a chance, because it's hard to defend that situation, or even explain it. I tried to make the case that Yujiro was "maturing," and the author literally had Yujiro pull out his johnson and threaten sexual assault in the next chapter. :psyduck:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 17, 2016

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

It was pretty unnecessary :v: Baki is nuts most of the time, but it has these awful moments fairly regularly

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You need to remind people the Ogre is an rear end in a top hat still

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Baki is only good in the same way that things like Blood Sport and Under Siege are "good". It's complete schlock that's only appealing to broke brained weirdos on the internet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eustace posted:

Baki is only good in the same way that things like Blood Sport and Under Siege are "good". It's complete schlock that's only appealing to broke brained weirdos on the internet.

Well yes.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 111 is out!

And this form is...

Musashi Blue!!! :c00lbert:

Eustace posted:

Well, a comparison to Blood Sport is very good, especially since Tokugawa's arena is extremely similar to the Kumite. Frank Dux should make a cameo and fight in a maximum tournament.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 21, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

It was pretty unnecessary :v: Baki is nuts most of the time, but it has these awful moments fairly regularly

Can't argue with that. New readers are gonna see that Hillary chapter, and be like :yikes:

But I loved the Trump chapter, hopefully there's more of that instead. And where is Putin? Musashi needs to have a judo match with him.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Grappler Baki 2017 predictions:

Musashi will go on a lone vigil to Mt. Fuji and discover the mysterious and illusive cockroach sensei, who will teach him the dark insect martial arts.

Yujiro will share dinner with his son, and Baki's cooking skill will be so impressive that Yujiro will flip the table in excitement and jealousy. Yujiro will train to become "The World's Strongest Chef," and will open a Michelin star sushi restaurant called "House of Ogre." Netflix will create a documentary about this called "Ogre's table."

Oliva will create a series of workout videos, with the end-goal of being able to pull down a helicopter from mid-flight with only a metal chain.

Che Guevara's ninja army will infiltrate the US Government and eventually confront Donald Trump. Alternately, "Ronald Rump," for legal reasons.

Pickle will co-star in Jurassic World 3 with Chris Pratt. He will destroy multi-million dollar animatronic dinosaurs from the set, and successfully devour Chris Pratt.

Doppo's face will become a popular emoji that everybody uses in their text messages.

Gaia will create a YouTube prank channel where he uses the environmental fighting method to sneak up on unsuspecting people and scare the poo poo out of them. He will get approximately 20 million views per video. Pewdiepie will make a guest appearance.

Hanayama will train in the Mariana Trench, and will defeat the world's strongest giant octopus by sticking his hand through its eye socket and crushing its brain.

Kaku Kaioh will create a new J-POP dance sensation based off the movements of Xiao-Lee. An army of Japanese idols will become immune to physical attacks.

Tokugawa and his sister will re-create Genghis Khan using a combination of cutting-edge genetic technology and spirit-channeling.

Retsu will compete with Jesus in Heaven, to determine who is the fastest at running across pools of water.

Merry Christmas!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou 139 is out. (Korean scans)

Based on Musashi's hug, I'm gonna guess he's saying goodbye/thank you to Tokugawa? Looks like there will be a big showdown with the police in the next chapter.

Update:

Here's a link to the rough English translations for 139, if you're curious.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 30, 2016

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Rejoice, you broke brained weirdos, Grappler Baki Chapter 190 is out!

That Sumo wrestler owns.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 6, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:allears: I had no idea Motobe had lost to some random sumo dude like that way earlier, this makes the recent shenanigans in Baki Dou funnier to me

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

frajaq posted:

:allears: I had no idea Motobe had lost to some random sumo dude like that way earlier, this makes the recent shenanigans in Baki Dou funnier to me

:agreed:

Baki the Grappler: That Sumo's got a pretty incredible pinky

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ah but you see if Motobe had his ninja tools

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
He could have exploded that sumos entire body but he had to protect him from the "truth of war"

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Mods please change my name to motobestomper58

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 140 is out! (Korean scans)

Unlike Motobe, Musashi proves that he has no need for ninja tools.

I gotta photoshop the detective's dialogue bubbles in the future. I love it when Itagaki has characters break the 4th wall with his silly interviews. And they're always drinking a cup of coffee.

Eustace posted:

Mods please change my name to motobestomper58

I'm a little ashamed that I didn't get this joke at first, but now I got it. Well played.

Work Friend Keven posted:

He could have exploded that sumos entire body but he had to protect him from the "truth of war"

lol

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 7, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
motobe hasn't lost he hosed the guys jaw up right before being stomped on

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 113 is out!

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 141 is out! (Korean scans)

Just a heads up, that site doesn't respond well to adblock stuff, I had to disable mine to view the chapter.

Chapter Spoilers:

Can't read Korean, but here's my best guess. It seems Musashi has become a "lone wolf" and isolated himself from Tokugawa. I'm sure Musashi is willing to take on the entire Japanese police force. This will probably end with a gigantic massacre, since Musashi is basically at Yujiro's level. We've seen Yujiro take on a hundred soldiers very easily, I don't see why it would be any different for Musashi. In all likelihood, Musashi should become the next "Unchained" man, along with Yujiro, Oliva, Baki, and Che.

What confuses me the most is that Itagaki refuses to bring heavy weapons into the equation. Yes, Musashi is god-like, we get it, but I don't see how he could avoid thousands of bullets from machine guns, or how he could avoid injury if he was shelled with artillery. Those cops are equipped with riot shields and batons and look completely useless. The author is stacking the deck in Musashi's favor by giving the police a bunch of non-lethal weapons, IMO. Let's see the grenade launchers and some helicopter-mounted machine guns, to spice things up.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 17, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm probably butchering the quote but

Hanma Baki, the Kaioh Tournament Arc posted:

Ryu Kaioh: Tell me, Retsu. What do you think of Hanma Yuujirou?
Retsu Kaioh: His might is as if all the engines and weapons of the modern world were to be turned against the martial artists of China, master.
Ryu (grinning): Ah, I see.
Retsu (grinning): Indeed. A crushing victory for Chinese martial arts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Using Baki logic I'm assuming Musashi could destroy helicopters with his invisible sword slashes or something. Or make them crash by invisi-slashing their pilots.

Or maybe they could just say his skin is so hard due to chi or w/e that even bullets and explosives cannot harm it.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I think my favorite Baki moment is when Doppo, having just gotten his hand reattached, starts kicking a dudes rear end while lecturing his students on the importance of aesthetics in regards to not using weapons. It's a great lecture.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

FAT BATMAN posted:

I think my favorite Baki moment is when Doppo, having just gotten his hand reattached, starts kicking a dudes rear end while lecturing his students on the importance of aesthetics in regards to not using weapons. It's a great lecture.

For those who are curious, I uploaded that whole portion of the manga here, it's an awesome scene from New Grappler Baki.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Using Baki logic I'm assuming Musashi could destroy helicopters with his invisible sword slashes or something. Or make them crash by invisi-slashing their pilots.

Or maybe they could just say his skin is so hard due to chi or w/e that even bullets and explosives cannot harm it.

Haha, it wouldn't surprise me if Musashi did ridiculous stuff like invisi-slashing pilots or police officers. From what I can tell, his invisible slash does seem to have a "range," not unlike the Stands from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. For example, we've never seen Musashi "slash" somebody located a football field away.

We do know Musashi can be wounded.

Armed with a bottle of saki and a troll's determination, Motobe managed to inflict a massive wound to Musashi's face. That scar is pretty wicked. Yujiro's kick to the balls knocked him down, and Baki's jab KO'ed him (well, temporarily).

Musashi's physical endurance is nowhere near Yujiro's, who can tank lightning bolts (because Baki logic). Looking back, the only time we've seen Yujiro go down for the count was when Tokugawa had a bunch of snipers ambush him in the arena with tranquilizer darts. I don't see why that wouldn't be effective against Musashi.

Get a bunch of sharpshooters to fire a ton of bullets at Musashi from half a mile away. Launch a bunch of flash bangs/concussion grenades to disorient him, so he can't dodge or evade everything. Hell, throw a bunch of nets on him, too. C'mon Itagaki, raise the stakes. I want to see how Musashi manages to avoid total defeat in the face of modern weapons.

A bunch of cops with batons and riot shields aren't gonna do anything.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 19, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

:dogout:

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Baki Dou Chapter 142 is out! (Korean scans)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

:psyduck: Why would the chief policeman think that's a good idea?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He's half the man Musashi is.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

frajaq posted:

:psyduck: Why would the chief policeman think that's a good idea?

:iiam:

Don't have the translations yet, but my best guess is that the policeman said something to Musashi like, "you know what the consequences will be if you choose to execute me, right?" and tried to bluff Musashi. So, Musashi is officially at war with the police. Even with their numbers, the fight appears to be one sided. Don't you think?

Maybe they'll recruit Oliva or somebody strong if they want to capture Musashi.

Plutonis posted:

He's half the man Musashi is.

lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

We do know Musashi can be wounded.

Armed with a bottle of saki and a troll's determination, Motobe managed to inflict a massive wound to Musashi's face. That scar is pretty wicked. Yujiro's kick to the balls knocked him down, and Baki's jab KO'ed him (well, temporarily).

Yeah but that's probably because Motobe infused it with chi or something. Like, we've seen how characters getting attacked by weaker people doesn't do much/any damage to them (like Musashi hitting Yujiro with his sword and doing hardly any damage), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lay person couldn't hurt Musashi in the same way as one of the other uber-fighters.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but that's probably because Motobe infused it with chi or something. Like, we've seen how characters getting attacked by weaker people doesn't do much/any damage to them (like Musashi hitting Yujiro with his sword and doing hardly any damage), so I wouldn't be surprised if a lay person couldn't hurt Musashi in the same way as one of the other uber-fighters.

Hmm, I don't think Motobe is a chi user, or at least that hasn't been stated explicitly. AnonSpore knows Korean, perhaps he can shed some light on us, too.

As far as I can tell, Motobe just relies on ninja tools, as Plutonis mentioned. That includes smoke bombs, Kusari-fundo (weight and chain), a short sword, collapsable spear, and less orthodox weapons, like spiked knuckle dusters, poison, explosives, and a big rear end bottle of sake. His jacket is made out of aramid fiber, and basically acts like chainmail. So it's a mix of modern technology and traditional ninja weapons, plus his jiu jitsu.

Spoilers:
Did you see how Motobe won the fight? He choked out Musashi using jiu jitsu, after smashing him with repeated head-butts. No chi or magic tricks. That's why it was a shock to everybody, because you're right; in the past, weaker characters would bounce right off the strong ones. In this instance, somehow the weaker side character actually won the fight.

Edit:
To support your point about the massive difference between weak and strong, Baki vs. Chiharu Shiba might be one of the best examples. Using only his face and eyeballs, somehow Baki defeated Chiharu. Baki launched himself at Chiharu, face-first, while Chiharu had his fingers outstretched, attempting to poke out Baki's eyes. But Chiharu's fingers broke, and Baki won. This was back when he was training for Yujiro, and had just invented the cockroach dash.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 24, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am finally working my way through my back log of books, games, anime, manga, films, and shows this year and I'm watching the first season of Baki now. Baki is eating loads in preparation for fighting the Yasha ape which is a policy I can really get behind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Hmm, I don't think Motobe is a chi user, or at least that hasn't been stated explicitly. AnonSpore knows Korean, perhaps he can shed some light on us, too.

As far as I can tell, Motobe just relies on ninja tools, as Plutonis mentioned. That includes smoke bombs, Kusari-fundo (weight and chain), a short sword, collapsable spear, and less orthodox weapons, like spiked knuckle dusters, poison, explosives, and a big rear end bottle of sake. His jacket is made out of aramid fiber, and basically acts like chainmail. So it's a mix of modern technology and traditional ninja weapons, plus his jiu jitsu.

Sorry, I didn't mean literal chi, but rather "chi" as a catch-all referring to the same element that makes strong people immune to weak peoples' attacks, even if the weak person is stabbing them with a sword. If dude A is supposed to be a lot stronger than dude B, he'll generally take less damage from dude B's attacks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's just called being ripped as gently caress, like when Oliva's muscles snapped a katana and stopped a point blank shotgun blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

oliva is so compact that if he relaxed he would explode, covering the entire prison