Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Any Gracie Barra school is going to have a curriculum.

As I said before there's also a school in Nashville run by a Rickson Gracie black belt. So that's worth checking out too.

Thanks for the reminder - I want to pajama rub someone who has pajama rubbed Matt Serra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Bangkero posted:

nice buddy, awesome to hear! Anything you did differently that you felt helped you this time around?

Tons of small things, I guess?

Mentally:
1. Because I'm the exact opposite of a natural it's taken me a really long time to build a gameplan that actually fits together well, which has finally happened. I've been a blue belt since 2011.
2. I seem to have developed some kind of magical future-sight that people seem to get around purple belt where I can see attacks coming when they're still a few steps away, still a bit abstract? It's pretty cool.
3. I've started 'solving' my training partners, really taking a lot of mental notice of what I'm getting caught in, bringing it to my coaches and getting solutions from them, and then annihilating them. No idea why I didn't do this earlier.
4. You know how they say to roll with no ego? I have actually been rolling with too little ego, with no real thought to winning or losing. I've been having so much fun doing rolling poo poo that I wasn't trying to seriously beat people. Ironically, once I started really determinedly working on improving my basics, all my rolling idiot-moves are twice as effective.

Physically:
1. I've finally found a weight routine that I can adapt to match my laziness, which gives me slow but consistent progress (5/3/1 with almost no accessory work)
2. I quit drinking recently as an experiment and my cardio seems to have almost magically doubled.
3. As a result of points 1 and 2 I'm shedding weight, I dropped a weight division, and I actually felt strong for my weight class for once.

Basically I've made a whole bunch of mental mistakes and haven't been very self-aware about my training for a long time, but realistically if you keep working at something you can only stay bad at it for so long.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 23, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

ive been out for a month now w/ rib-based issues & i truly miss huggin dudes

I went to open mat this friday and my poo poo feels the same way it did a month ago. I haven't been doing anything that would aggravate my ribs in this time, just some light jogging & weights to stay looking / feeling human. very frustrating.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wangsbig posted:

I went to open mat this friday and my poo poo feels the same way it did a month ago. I haven't been doing anything that would aggravate my ribs in this time, just some light jogging & weights to stay looking / feeling human. very frustrating.

I can't remember if I posted this above, but a training partner of mine came back after a month on the shelf with rib issues, and he magically improved in that absence. He spent the time stretching a lot and watching vids.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Wangsbig posted:

Rib injuries are the worst. I still get little twinges from the areas I've hurt, and it was years ago. gently caress ribs. I did 100% rest, until I felt better, then eased back in to jiu jitsu, starting with just drills and eventually back to sparring. YMMV

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Wangsbig posted:

Rib injuries can take a long time to heal, like 4-6 months. I broke my rib cartilage in early November. I took 3 weeks off, felt fine, went to do an explosive movement and aggravated it. So I spent all of December only doing Gi and focusing on non explosive movements. Started going 100% again and going to the no gi classes at the start of January and I've been fine, no re injuries. It healed weird and now it sticks out but I think what helped me get back in 2 months instead of 4 was years of heavy deadlifting and squatting built up a decent amount of strength in my intercostal muscles.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This talk makes me feel better about telling everyone a Green Bay receiver playing with broken ribs a week after the injury was insanity.

Without FD who is our resident black belt?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Captain Log posted:

This talk makes me feel better about telling everyone a Green Bay receiver playing with broken ribs a week after the injury was insanity.

Yuns?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yep. Yuns is our only one as far as I know. Now we'll have to ask our instructors.

I volunteer for the vacant position of SA forums bjj black belt. I'll be ready in 10 years.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Captain Log posted:

What happened to FD:ohdear:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KildarX posted:

Disagreed with lowtax along with some of the other mods, but instead of just stepping down posted a bunch of screenshots of the mod forum and was banned instead.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

KildarX posted:

Requested a ban during some Lowtax vs. the mods drama

:smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Oh good I thought something serious like ninja attack or. Palharras to the heel or something.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I can't remember if I posted this above, but a training partner of mine came back after a month on the shelf with rib issues, and he magically improved in that absence. He spent the time stretching a lot and watching vids.

I'm spending a lot of time stretching, too but it will only result in significantly improved grip strength in my dominant hand

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I haven't seen Yuns post in a while though. In case he's busy, what are the other highly ranked guys here?

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
Hector pulled out so Chael is going to face Tonon. Wonder if he will be able to stall him out with his size.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nifft posted:

Hector pulled out so Chael is going to face Tonon. Wonder if he will be able to stall him out with his size.

:haw:

Garry is going to take Chael's leg in under a minute.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Nifft posted:

I would bet ten grand on Garry but Chael is running the event so it's probably fixed.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Tono is going to break dance all over Chael.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Chael is REALLY bad at jiu jitsu. He's gonna get owned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

JaySB posted:

Chael is REALLY bad at jiu jitsu. He's gonna get owned

Garry is talking poo poo on facebook too: "People are asking how are you preparing for Chael Almost Sonnen on such short notice? I've been fighting with my little sister my whole life"

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Garry is talking poo poo on facebook too: "People are asking how are you preparing for Chael Almost Sonnen on such short notice? I've been fighting with my little sister my whole life"

I saw that, Garry is clearly following the Conor McGregor playbook and it's working for him.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Yep. Yuns is our only one as far as I know. Now we'll have to ask our instructors.

I volunteer for the vacant position of SA forums bjj black belt. I'll be ready in 10 years.

I volunteer to fill the position of SA 3 stripe brown belt.

And if I can unfuck my back maybe a year or so from SA Black Belt (Junior Grade)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ch3cooh posted:

I volunteer to fill the position of SA 3 stripe brown belt.

And if I can unfuck my back maybe a year or so from SA Black Belt (Junior Grade)

How many poo poo posting techniques do I need to demonstrate and how many flame wars do I have to win to get my SA purple belt?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

JaySB posted:

I saw that, Garry is clearly following the Conor McGregor playbook and it's working for him.

Shiiit chael is probably his ghost editor.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/824054793551253504

Sad news

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Good news for Chael, he would've been ravaged by Tonon.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
how the gently caress do people wrestle every day. we did just doubles and sprawls for an hour today and I want to loving die, somebody got hurt and everyone got a little dinged up. wrestlers are tough and insane.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

how the gently caress do people wrestle every day. we did just doubles and sprawls for an hour today and I want to loving die, somebody got hurt and everyone got a little dinged up. wrestlers are tough and insane.

conditioning .. if you did it every day for a month then youd be used to it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I.N.R.I posted:

that + also being tough and insane

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

im not tough and insane but managed to wrestle every day thanks to this weird trick: im bad

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

I.N.R.I posted:

I understand this but who the gently caress is showing up for day 2 of wrestling practice? I'm half joking I just wanted to say hats off cause that poo poo is exhausting.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 25, 2017

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

I understand this but who the gently caress is showing up for day 2 of wrestling practice? I'm half joking I just wanted to say hats off cause that poo poo is exhausting.

well i dont wrestle specifically but for my own part, i like the feeling .. it feels like im living my life in a contented haze lol

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Odddzy posted:

I haven't seen Yuns post in a while though. In case he's busy, what are the other highly ranked guys here?
I'm alive and around. I've just been super busy with work and with snowboarding/ski season.

Also, while I like FD and FD is in the same broader organization as me, I can't believe he chose to get banned for defending the quality of the D&D mods. What a weird loving hill to die on.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 25, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Yuns posted:

a weird loving hill to die on
interim thread title

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
First they came for the D&D mods, and I did not speak out...because you're retarded if you post in there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah did he just like jump on in there? Didn't seem related to him or our fighting areas at all. Should have done more aikido.

Ive done BJJ for a decade, a couple months out here and there for injury. So I guess I qualify as a long timer.

I don't know any fancy poo poo and basically refuse to discuss techniques online BC it's almost impossible to convey correctly. I'm also not very good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah did he just like jump on in there? Didn't seem related to him or our fighting areas at all. Should have done more aikido.

Ive done BJJ for a decade, a couple months out here and there for injury. So I guess I qualify as a long timer.

I don't know any fancy poo poo and basically refuse to discuss techniques online BC it's almost impossible to convey correctly. I'm also not very good.

See I like to discuss technique online because it's a surrogate for rolling when I'm at work thinking about rolling.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Discuss was maybe the wrong word but more teach or introduce. Like when white or blue belts ask about positions.

To quote fatherdog: the majority of BJJ discussion on the internet is blue belts telling white belts what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yeah, now that I have a bunch of black belts to learn from I never feel like discussing technique on here. It was good when I had a weird training situation but now that I have consistent high-quality coaching it's not worth bothering.

Though it's interesting running leglock questions past the NY Combat Sambo dude because I'm more leglock-y than my peers.