Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rt4 posted:

These people really are assholes. Good luck hiring anyone like that!

Hahaha, not my specific department, but yup. I wonder which account it's picking up on.

edit: oh wait i see what you did there. Given the internet, I wouldn't be surprised :v:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

Just got tipped off about one of my company's StackOverflow postings by a friend who's looking for a job. Who knew we had such hostile language in our job postings?

It's funny how easily they could say exactly the same things without any trace of the burning disdain for inferior beings they are showing here. "Be able to speak in detail about complex problems that you have solved with software." That took me 20 seconds.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Pollyanna posted:

Just got tipped off about one of my company's StackOverflow postings by a friend who's looking for a job. Who knew we had such hostile language in our job postings?

http://stackoverflow.com/jobs/132492/infrastructure-engineer-mass-mutual-financial-group

Hm, they also have a challenge for prospective employees to decode some base64. I wonder what following that challenge leads me to-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

:eyepop:

Find a new job.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No, stay there and tell us how much worse it gets

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It get so much worse.

I'm basically planning on spending the rest of my time there (however long it is) brushing up on other languages, paradigms, and problem fields that I wanna work in, and applying to more interesting (and sane) jobs and companies. On the road again~

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Current prospect: initial hour long take home to get interview(s), then 3-4 hour take home to continue, then review interview, finally a 3-4 hour live coding exercise. Not a SV job.

Red flag or is this just the way it is? I'm about halfway and I get that it's up to me to gently caress it up at this point, but this kind of gauntlet starts giving me imposter syndrome really bad even if I do okay with the exercises.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
In my experience, interviews based on well-designed take home problems are better. You're less likely to get a whiteboard interview about regurgitating some algorithm you haven't thought about since college. Your mileage may vary if you're straight out of college.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Holy poo poo that job posting is terrible. The only "productive" reason they could have to write like that is if they're very concerned with maintaining an assholish company culture, because only an rear end in a top hat would write that and only assholes would read it and still think that's a place where they would fit in.

If I saw a job posting like that from my employer I would be really worried about the direction the company was going. Gratefully I work at a place with a great environment and people.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Thankfully, it looks like they pulled it. It was written by some underling, apparently. Good to see that the higher-ups are on the ball, at least, but it's certainly not a good sign.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

http://stackoverflow.com/jobs/132492/infrastructure-engineer-mass-mutual-financial-group

Hm, they also have a challenge for prospective employees to decode some base64. I wonder what following that challenge leads me to-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

:eyepop:

Hahaha what a terrible loving posting.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

In my experience, interviews based on well-designed take home problems are better. You're less likely to get a whiteboard interview about regurgitating some algorithm you haven't thought about since college. Your mileage may vary if you're straight out of college.

About 8 years out now, I guess I've just been lucky enough to get through with one or two interviews and an initial take home up to this point.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Iverron posted:

Current prospect: initial hour long take home to get interview(s), then 3-4 hour take home to continue, then review interview, finally a 3-4 hour live coding exercise. Not a SV job.

Red flag or is this just the way it is? I'm about halfway and I get that it's up to me to gently caress it up at this point, but this kind of gauntlet starts giving me imposter syndrome really bad even if I do okay with the exercises.

It's not really clear from your description how many steps there are (for instance, are there multiple in-person interviews separating the coding challenges?). Short code challenges are good and fine if you ask me, you just have to figure out yourself how much you want to put up with. A few hours is fine to me, and if you're looking for your first gig I suggest putting up with them unless it's clear the company wants to use your "interview" to build a product for them that they will sell.

The only thing that would be a red flag to me is if there were no in-person interview in the process. Again, from your description I can't tell, but you need to see where you're working and who you'll be working with and for. Sometimes you can talk to people or see a place and just know it's not for you.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, it's definitely :yotj: time for me. I won't go deep into the reasons why, but that posting I linked is a good example. I want to get a job working with a particular technology(ies, e.g. Clojure, Elixir), but there isn't much choice for those techs on the local hiring market. It's mostly AWS, Node, or Java. What should I do if I want to do something specific?

It's been a while since I went job hunting, and my old haunts of AngelList and StackOverflow are kinda slim pickings right now.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
No remote Clojure jobs?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pollyanna posted:

So, it's definitely :yotj: time for me. I won't go deep into the reasons why, but that posting I linked is a good example. I want to get a job working with a particular technology(ies, e.g. Clojure, Elixir), but there isn't much choice for those techs on the local hiring market. It's mostly AWS, Node, or Java. What should I do if I want to do something specific?

It's been a while since I went job hunting, and my old haunts of AngelList and StackOverflow are kinda slim pickings right now.

Realistically? Move to where there's a market for what you want to do (preferably after you have a job in that area). If you can't or won't do that, then you're probably going to have to settle for a stack that's actually in demand in your area.

Edit: Yeah, or remote I guess.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Remote's an option, yeah. Figured that companies would be more averse to that, and I figured they'd only advertise on remote-specific sites like remote.io. I'm used to physical location dictating what I can work in, which is a little strange given how tech is so decentralized now.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It's not decentralized and the answer is to move if you don't want to limit your options.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://remoteok.io/
https://weworkremotely.com/
http://stackoverflow.com/jobs?sort=i&&c=USD&r=true

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Che Delilas posted:

It's not really clear from your description how many steps there are (for instance, are there multiple in-person interviews separating the coding challenges?). Short code challenges are good and fine if you ask me, you just have to figure out yourself how much you want to put up with. A few hours is fine to me, and if you're looking for your first gig I suggest putting up with them unless it's clear the company wants to use your "interview" to build a product for them that they will sell.

The only thing that would be a red flag to me is if there were no in-person interview in the process. Again, from your description I can't tell, but you need to see where you're working and who you'll be working with and for. Sometimes you can talk to people or see a place and just know it's not for you.

It was remote, but I don't think they're continuing now anyhow.

Basically it was:

• 1 Hour Challenge
  • 1 - 2 Video Interviews
  • 3-4 Hour Challenge
  • 1 - 2 Video Interviews
  • 3-4 Hour Live Coding Exercise / Interview
  • Final Interview

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Iverron posted:

It was remote, but I don't think they're continuing now anyhow.

Basically it was:

• 1 Hour Challenge
  • 1 - 2 Video Interviews
  • 3-4 Hour Challenge
  • 1 - 2 Video Interviews
  • 3-4 Hour Live Coding Exercise / Interview
  • Final Interview

In my experiences so far, the places in the Bay all have one or two standard sets of procedures they use. For companies elsewhere, the interview process really diverges. What you list seems to be a little unorthodox based on the ~20 interview processes I've had so far, but in terms of the amount of workload, it seems a little on the heavy side but not extreme.

For example, on the extreme side, I've done (and passed flawlessly) a 3.5 hour long coding test on codility after my resume was accepted, had the "hear about the company / talk about yourself" phone call, then never heard back. Glassdoor reviews said there were multiple stages of coding tests that were this long. I think the important thing is that there should be a relatively short technical AND behavioral interview first, because the most frustrating thing is putting so much time in to something only to have them arbitrarily decide you're not a culture fit or you don't have the specific skill they want.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

bomblol posted:

In my experiences so far, the places in the Bay all have one or two standard sets of procedures they use. For companies elsewhere, the interview process really diverges. What you list seems to be a little unorthodox based on the ~20 interview processes I've had so far, but in terms of the amount of workload, it seems a little on the heavy side but not extreme.

For example, on the extreme side, I've done (and passed flawlessly) a 3.5 hour long coding test on codility after my resume was accepted, had the "hear about the company / talk about yourself" phone call, then never heard back. Glassdoor reviews said there were multiple stages of coding tests that were this long. I think the important thing is that there should be a relatively short technical AND behavioral interview first, because the most frustrating thing is putting so much time in to something only to have them arbitrarily decide you're not a culture fit or you don't have the specific skill they want.

I can definitely understand that. I was turned down after two technical / behavior interviews and before the next challenge. I'm glad that happened before any additional coding.

I think they were looking for a particular skillset that wasn't very emphasized in their listing, just in the middle of a laundry list of wants.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Pollyanna posted:

Remote's an option, yeah. Figured that companies would be more averse to that, and I figured they'd only advertise on remote-specific sites like remote.io. I'm used to physical location dictating what I can work in, which is a little strange given how tech is so decentralized now.

NoRedInk is hiring for ruby/elixir/elm. remote is ok and they are big on training so if your elixir/elm is bad or nonexistent that is ok

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

bomblol posted:

I'm in good shape and I eat and live well, generally. I guess the biggest contributing factor is the many hours of driving and flying to get to interviews, which already puts me in a bad position. I guess there is no explicit "advice" anyone can give me, and I should just fuckin suck it up and deal with it until something works out.

Think of this like running a long race - you've gotta treat it like such and not as a sprint. Everyone else is facing the same conditions. On the bright side, it sounds like you are aware of what the issue is :)

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Just had my first multi-hour coding interview. Was scheduled for four, took five and the guy wanted to know if I'd go longer.
Of course it's no issue for them, they rotated people every 45 minutes.
How do these things not lead to murders by the end?

...maybe I'm not cut out for this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is that kind of thing typical? All the interviews I did were just one half hour interview and then an on-site interview. One of the on-site interviews was an all-day thing but a decent amount of it was touring the offices and such. The other on-site interviews were 3 hours or less.

Four interviews of that length per company would wear me down really loving fast.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

mekkanare posted:

Just had my first multi-hour coding interview. Was scheduled for four, took five and the guy wanted to know if I'd go longer.
Of course it's no issue for them, they rotated people every 45 minutes.
How do these things not lead to murders by the end?

...maybe I'm not cut out for this.

That can't be normal...

Can it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Wizard of Poz posted:

That can't be normal...

Can it?

It is for the googles of the world and companies that like to pretend they're google.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

It is for the googles of the world and companies that like to pretend they're google.

Google does four or five interviews that are forty five minutes each and lunch. If this what he's referring to as a multi-hour coding interview, then yes it's normal and I'm not sure what else would be expected. Going over the schedule is rude and asking you to stay longer is ridiculous, but I would expect an onsite to be all day and about five interviews. I haven't had a company deviate from this yet from random Fortune 500s to defense contractors to Google.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008

asur posted:

Google does four or five interviews that are forty five minutes each and lunch. If this what he's referring to as a multi-hour coding interview, then yes it's normal and I'm not sure what else would be expected. Going over the schedule is rude and asking you to stay longer is ridiculous, but I would expect an onsite to be all day and about five interviews. I haven't had a company deviate from this yet from random Fortune 500s to defense contractors to Google.

Three people for about 45min-hr each, 1 15 min break, then the last two guys for the same time.
Just to clarify.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Only a 15 minute break? Jesus. I had a place with maybe 5 or 6 interviews but at least they took me out and bought me lunch in the middle.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

mekkanare posted:

Three people for about 45min-hr each, 1 15 min break, then the last two guys for the same time.
Just to clarify.

They didn't get you lunch? That's bullshit.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008

It was all through webex. Usually code interviews I've had online were <90 minutes.
So maybe that makes it a little better?

However I'm only complaining, so feel free to ignore my posts!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

mekkanare posted:

It was all through webex. Usually code interviews I've had online were <90 minutes.
So maybe that makes it a little better?

However I'm only complaining, so feel free to ignore my posts!

Wait, what? This was a phone interview? Do you know if they'll follow it up with an onsite cause if so that's loving crazy. I would say normal is something like 1-2 thirty minute to an hour phone interviews and then an onsite that's 6ish hours, 4-6 interviews along with lunch.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
In the fall I did about 4 hours of remote interviews. It was mostly pair-programming exercises, and split up into 4 sessions with different people.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I just had my my first follow up to an application and it was just two on-site hour long interviews with coding and a review of my experience, and I'm having a call today likely with an offer. Guess I got lucky or maybe they will try to low ball given the easy interview process. It's for my first developer job and I don't have a comp sci degree, just a 2 year college program.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Ornithology posted:

I just had my my first follow up to an application and it was just two on-site hour long interviews with coding and a review of my experience, and I'm having a call today likely with an offer. Guess I got lucky or maybe they will try to low ball given the easy interview process. It's for my first developer job and I don't have a comp sci degree, just a 2 year college program.

Developers are at a premium, don't let them low-ball you. They're hiring a developer, so if you're a fit, don't let them soft sell you with "but your experience..." they wouldn't make an offer if they didn't want you.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've been contacted by five different head hunters at this point for the exact same position. Why is this happening?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

huhu posted:

I've been contacted by five different head hunters at this point for the exact same position. Why is this happening?

You're the perfect person for the job, obviously.

Your resume has the right keyword(s) to match that, probably brand spanking new, requirement.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone from Canada or Toronto in specific know what kind of salary range is normal for junior developer positions? After searching on PayScale and Glassdoor it shows an average of 55-60k, but all the jobs I'm finding are more like 40-50. I got an offer for 42 and negotiated to get increase to 45 but it still seems kinda low.

I'm curious if 50-60 range is just for Google and IBM or if I should be expecting that from smaller companies too.

Again this is Canada specific as obviously the salaries are dramatically lower than the Silicon Valley companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Ornithology posted:

Anyone from Canada or Toronto in specific know what kind of salary range is normal for junior developer positions? After searching on PayScale and Glassdoor it shows an average of 55-60k, but all the jobs I'm finding are more like 40-50. I got an offer for 42 and negotiated to get increase to 45 but it still seems kinda low.

I'm curious if 50-60 range is just for Google and IBM or if I should be expecting that from smaller companies too.

Again this is Canada specific as obviously the salaries are dramatically lower than the Silicon Valley companies.

As someone from the KW area, $50,000 seems to be about the norm as a junior (that's what me and most of my graduate classmates got coming out of school).

42-45 is actually pretty low from what i've seen, but Toronto could differ from over here.

It's also not just the google/ibm's either; the medium size companies down here do 50 as well.