Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Probably he just fires the rest of the way out of the ground.

Obviously he's immune to the power when underground since there's no line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manatee Cannon posted:

todoroki could probably just set himself on fire and then mirio wouldn't be able to do anything anymore. he's still just a guy; he can't enhance his physical abilities. punching a fireball isn't very good for your health

it's a really cool power tho and I like the guy

Todoroki, Kaminari, Bakugou, and Hagakure all potentially have powers that sufficiently counter how his is used that they should be able to beat him after seeing him. Todoroki and Bakugou probably are good enough and have good enough counter quirks to put up a good fight the first match.

If Hagakure is ready for a fight, she's actually got among the strongest quirks. Aside from whatever mysterious "actual" power her quirk has.

JahRoo posted:

Since OfA is the combination of a quirk that passes on quirks AND a super strength quirk it doesn't really make sense for it to overwrite things. At least the way I read it I assumed this meant if OfA was given to a person with a natural quirk then the next successor of OfA would get super strength, quirk passing, and the predecessor's natural quirk. Basically if it was continually passed to people with natural quirks then OfA would continue accumulating powers.

One for all is a transferable quirk that simply transfers an ever increasing amount of power to the next owner of the quirk. Power in this case is limited to physical attributes like strength, agility, and speed. There seems to be a durability component to the quirk that also transfers but is harder to access than the others. No other quirks are transferred or added to the quirk as it jumps hosts. The only reason the power transfer quirk is able to be transferred is that is somehow merged with the quirk that lets you transfer the ability to transfer itself, no other merger has happened.

Theoretically if the original owner of One For All had just had kids with some other person, the kids would have the ability to transfer the quirk they inherited from their mother once. All For One's action of dickishness/brotherly love is the only reason that didn't happen.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Shugojin posted:

Probably he just fires the rest of the way out of the ground.

Obviously he's immune to the power when underground since there's no line of sight.

what if he was passing through a prism

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder how he first tested his blinding move. Did he just decide to experiment with sticking his hand into his buddy's face at some point, and drat the consequences?

He probably tried covering someone's eyes when his pants fell off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Soylentbits posted:

Uh what if Aizawa knocked out Vault Boy's powers while he was phasing? Would he just die? The drawbacks are so significant that I imagine finding a hard counter power would just wreck him.

he'd pop out of the ground. that's how his power works; he falls through the ground when it's on and he pops out of whatever he's phasing through when he turns it back off

tho keep in mind that if he were fully submerged, aizawa wouldn't be able to look at him to turn his powers off in the first place

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I love Vaultboy's power. It's by far the most original power in the manga so far and it seems really fun. It seems like less of a quirk and more of a JoJo stand and it's great.

Also love that the author kept Bakugou and Todoroki from fighting the guy because it keeps some hype about how they'd do against him in a straight one-on-one.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Peel posted:

Even without the hax Mirio is a huge wall of muscle, so he doesn't need a spectacular quirk to get through the exam. And Hagakure managed it so there's probably a lot of scope for getting points with tricks.

My pick for a counter (given time to prepare) would be Kirishima. Hagakure could maybe land a surprise attack but isn't strong enough to capitalise on it

There's been pretty constant speculation that All Might's muscleman form indicates some kind of special ability since Deku doesn't do it, though I don't think it's ever been supported in the text.

The misconception (held by many, including myself) was that he essentially had the power to "look tough" based on a not-so-great translation of the first chapter, where he compared the difference between his forms to a guy puffing himself up at the beach. This continued until it was outright stated in the comic that, yeah, he was quirkless--though as mentioned, his predecessor was not. He was, however, a genius at using One For All, which seems to be the explanation for his apparent shapeshifting.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Gyges posted:

If Hagakure is ready for a fight, she's actually got among the strongest quirks. Aside from whatever mysterious "actual" power her quirk has.

Light refraction. You can see her actively use it during the provisional license exam, rather than just running around invisible the entire time.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hopeford posted:

I love Vaultboy's power. It's by far the most original power in the manga so far and it seems really fun. It seems like less of a quirk and more of a JoJo stand and it's great.

Also love that the author kept Bakugou and Todoroki from fighting the guy because it keeps some hype about how they'd do against him in a straight one-on-one.

Is it more original than Meatball?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

todoroki could probably just set himself on fire and then mirio wouldn't be able to do anything anymore. he's still just a guy; he can't enhance his physical abilities. punching a fireball isn't very good for your health

it's a really cool power tho and I like the guy

Vaultboy seems to use his intangibility in conjunction with attacks, too - his "eye poke" looks like he made his hand impermeable, then solidified his fingertip right when it was in contact with the surface of Deku's eye, blinding him.

Guy's control over his Quirk is bananas.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't think he ever actually poked Deku's eye, but just bluffed so that Deku would instinctively close his eyes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I thought he just stuck his intangible hand in Deku's eye which would still cause some discomfort.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

I thought he just stuck his intangible hand in Deku's eye which would still cause some discomfort.

It looks like it was a feint to throw Deku off guard. The attack he takes everyone out with is some sort of stomach attack. Deku comments on his stomach being messed up, but not his eye hurting.

When he was phase punching the kids in the stomach, I half expected Uraraka to stand back up since she's been dealing with stomach issues as a side effect of her quirk for her whole life.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Last Celebration posted:

it completely obscures his vision

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jose posted:

it completely obscures his vision

Because he closed his eyes, because that is what you do when something goes to poke you in the eye.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Vaultboy is a cool dude and I laugh entirely too much about the fact that he constantly tries to bring up his issue with flashing people with his junk. He's a good boy but at the same time not a stick in the mud.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I assumed the eye poke was a noclip based attack but now it makes sense that no, none of that, even if you open your eyes after flinching all you see is a cross section of Vault Boy hand.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Gyges posted:

some sort of stomach attack.

i mean, it was a sucker punch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am so disappointed in all of you for not realizing exactly who Calvin would be with OFA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihnbWsv_1U&t=4s

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Venuz Patrol posted:

i mean, it was a sucker punch

It seems like it would need to be more than just a solar plexus shot, since the whole class was taken out with one shot and several of them have quirks or training to make them tougher than that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PMush Perfect posted:

I am so disappointed in all of you for not realizing exactly who Calvin would be with OFA.

The world is not ready for a naked superhero.

Edit: Except for Invisible Girl.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
I think Vaultboy's style is weird.
A little like Astroboy.
What do you think? You think there's a reason for it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

fluffykittys posted:

A little like Astroboy.

MHA will end up becoming a science fiction story later, with Mirio being one of the aliens masquerading as a human. He couldn't quite get the face to look natural, but people let it pass due to all the other weird quirk-related faces/heads.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

fluffykittys posted:

A little like Astroboy.

It's just a stylistic thing to show that he's innocent and earnest despite being swole and having a crazy quirk.

Also Horikoshi is a fan of western comics and he's a dead ringer for Tintin. He's also a dead ringer for Lucas from Mother 3, but we'll have to wait for his official hair color to see which is closer.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gyges posted:

It seems like it would need to be more than just a solar plexus shot, since the whole class was taken out with one shot and several of them have quirks or training to make them tougher than that.

No one expects or can really defend against a sucker punch STRAIGHT to the stomach

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It seems like just "regular" training and sparring would be better at learning to use Mirio's quirk that practical experience fighting criminals. Like, just spending a lot of time practicing his pseudo-teleport by doing various exercises would probably help more than fighting random dudes, especially since most villains are apparently trash-tier and could be defeated by the students in 1-A.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The more I think about it, the more "phase arm into target, unphase arm, video-game-glitch them across the room" makes sense as a fighting style.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

The more I think about it, the more "phase arm into target, unphase arm, video-game-glitch them across the room" makes sense as a fighting style.

It doesn't seem like it launches him in that way; it seems like it just pushes him out of the ground but he doesn't keep that momentum (or else he would end up shooting up in the air after pseudo-teleporting). So if he put his arm into someone and unphased it, it would just push them back a foot or so (if Mirio wasn't the one who was pushed back instead).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Ytlaya posted:

It doesn't seem like it launches him in that way; it seems like it just pushes him out of the ground but he doesn't keep that momentum (or else he would end up shooting up in the air after pseudo-teleporting). So if he put his arm into someone and unphased it, it would just push them back a foot or so (if Mirio wasn't the one who was pushed back instead).

This seems right, and also has the upside that Mirio doesn't need to time unphasing his punch too closely. If he unphases late, his hand still keeps all its momentum and starts hitting them directly against their skin. There's no delay between being intangible and Mirio hitting you, mistiming it just means he pushes you back a little before the punch lands.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ytlaya posted:

Calvin subdued everyone with just a single gut-punch, I wouldn't be surprised if he phased his hand into their stomachs just a bit in order to increase the punch's impact when they got knocked back. Of course it might have just been a normal, brawny punch too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://mangastream.com/r/my_hero_academia/125/3994/1

NEW CHAPTER IS OUT AND HOLY poo poo THIS IS A loving GOOD MANGA.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope that one day Shigaraki will actually successfully accomplish something.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Very juicy chapter.

fake edit: huge chunks of plot

dripping with action

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Eej posted:

Very juicy chapter.

Id say its more like chunky salsa

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Lol "handyman".

Also. "Nap room"? Maybe break room?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even the translation was pretty decent, the only major difference was here.

It doesn't even make sense because everyone knows AFO was tossed into jail, and the dude even talks about it the next panel.

Korean version says that the elders were afraid of him (despite the younger generation thinking of him as a myth), and continued to fear him even when rumors of his death spread.

He finally revealed himself, and was tossed into Tartarus.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Another dude with an insta-death touch skill? I wonder how it works.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Another dude with an insta-death touch skill? I wonder how it works.

him and shigaraki fighting could lead to some really cool mind games since the first one to land a hit wins

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think he can infect people with a disease, and maybe the disease can have different effects (like sealing Compress's quirk or just destroying your body tissue). He mentioned something about tagging them beforehand.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I think he can infect people with a disease, and maybe the disease can have different effects (like sealing Compress's quirk or just destroying your body tissue). He mentioned something about tagging them with a shot.

Nah, someone shot a dart at Compress, preventing him from using his quirk.