Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Peristalsis posted:

I have one pepper plant that I grew in a pot to bring in over the winter. It's in my back window now, but it's looking very unhappy. Most of the leaves are dying or dead, and I assume it needs more light. With the fluorescent lights I use for seed starting, I know you're supposed to have the light bulbs within an inch or two of the seedlings, but that isn't going to be very practical for most of a grown plant. Is there another lighting solution that is good for a big pepper plant?
Inspect for spider mites.

A picture will help, also.

e: will help telling you whether or not to bother with lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Inspect for spider mites.

A picture will help, also.

e: will help telling you whether or not to bother with lights

I'm out of town for the week, and can't upload a pic until I get back on the 30th. I guess this is a more general question - what are good lighting solutions for plants that aren't just seedlings?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Peristalsis posted:

I have one pepper plant that I grew in a pot to bring in over the winter. It's in my back window now, but it's looking very unhappy. Most of the leaves are dying or dead, and I assume it needs more light. With the fluorescent lights I use for seed starting, I know you're supposed to have the light bulbs within an inch or two of the seedlings, but that isn't going to be very practical for most of a grown plant. Is there another lighting solution that is good for a big pepper plant?

If I had to guess, needs more lights and possibly more heat. For a plant that grew to a large size outside, it's difficult/expensive to bring back inside and continue to grow. It's used to bright full natural light and it's grown to a size that could utilize that light.

Alternatively, you can cut the plant down and store it somewhere cool. It should go dormant and can be replanted in the spring. I've cut 2 of my pepper plants down to about a foot and a half worth of main trunk with a few branches here and there. I'm currently storing it in the basement where it is pretty chilly. I've never tried overwintering before, so I'm just following some internet instructions.

edit: to answer the lighting question above this post... just buy more lights! Most of them can be hung sideways if you want to shine light on your plant from the side. Another option is using LED light strips or fluorescent bulbs inside a bucket. If you want to give it a try, you can google 'space buckets' (warning, it's commonly used for drugs).

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 21, 2016

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

extravadanza posted:

If I had to guess, needs more lights and possibly more heat. For a plant that grew to a large size outside, it's difficult/expensive to bring back inside and continue to grow. It's used to bright full natural light and it's grown to a size that could utilize that light.

Alternatively, you can cut the plant down and store it somewhere cool. It should go dormant and can be replanted in the spring. I've cut 2 of my pepper plants down to about a foot and a half worth of main trunk with a few branches here and there. I'm currently storing it in the basement where it is pretty chilly. I've never tried overwintering before, so I'm just following some internet instructions.

edit: to answer the lighting question above this post... just buy more lights! Most of them can be hung sideways if you want to shine light on your plant from the side. Another option is using LED light strips or fluorescent bulbs inside a bucket. If you want to give it a try, you can google 'space buckets' (warning, it's commonly used for drugs).

Thanks for the info. I've thought about just using a couple of my fluorescent fixtures, but since they are apparently only good for a few inches for seedlings, I worried that I might need something fancier. I'll look into space buckets, and see what I find. Also, this plant was grown in a bucket all year, not transplanted into one for winter. I'm not sure if I was clear about that. It's a variety (fatalii) that the seed vendor claimed is good for overwintering. It's in the sunniest window we have, but it still probably only gets an hour or two of direct-ish sunlight per day, then indirect light.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Of the plants I keep at work, the Shishito pepper I mentioned earlier is doing just fine, but the tomato seems to be having some issues.
One tomato is still growing, but it doesn't seem like any more are in line after that one.

The leaves are yellowing and dying off, usually an entire branch at a time, .

The flowers seem to just kinda be dying off.

Both of the plants in a 1-gallon pot in a halved milk jug, and I'm watering usually twice a week by partly filling up the milk jug. (I did to ensure the plants didn't die on summer weekends, it might be severely overwatering them now). However, the pepper doesn't seem to be having the same ill effects so I can't be sure. Any ideas?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Lhet posted:

Of the plants I keep at work, the Shishito pepper I mentioned earlier is doing just fine, but the tomato seems to be having some issues.
One tomato is still growing, but it doesn't seem like any more are in line after that one.

The leaves are yellowing and dying off, usually an entire branch at a time, .

The flowers seem to just kinda be dying off.

Both of the plants in a 1-gallon pot in a halved milk jug, and I'm watering usually twice a week by partly filling up the milk jug. (I did to ensure the plants didn't die on summer weekends, it might be severely overwatering them now). However, the pepper doesn't seem to be having the same ill effects so I can't be sure. Any ideas?

Dumb question, but are you doing anything to pollinate those flowers?

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Fog Tripper posted:

Dumb question, but are you doing anything to pollinate those flowers?

Uh...not really, other than any shaking that might happen as I remove dead leaves or slightly reposition the plants. I had heard of it with peppers but didn't see a need to as I was getting plenty of fruit.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Lhet posted:

Uh...not really, other than any shaking that might happen as I remove dead leaves or slightly reposition the plants. I had heard of it with peppers but didn't see a need to as I was getting plenty of fruit.

dunno. Couldnt hurt to grab a qtip and rollplay as a bee.

edit: gram != grab

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it worthwhile to buy late flowering Basil? Looking at this:
http://www.burpee.com/herbs/basil/basil-pesto-party-prod100026.html

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fog Tripper posted:

dunno. Couldnt hurt to gram a qtip and rollplay as a bee.

Veggie and Herb Gardening: Bee LARP Best LARP

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Veggie and Herb Gardening: Bee LARP Best LARP

Just planted a bunch of corn seedlings, thanks for the reminder that I'll need to Bee LARP

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Winter crops, y'all

Cabbage, red cabbage, Italian kale, other kale, broccoli, cauliflower, and chives are all in the ground and maturing. I've got 6 rows like this and can't wait to start harvesting (except the chives, they already go in my scrambled eggs). I just need to do some weeding and bed care this weekend.

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
I just moved and found a community garden in my neighborhood. I paid my 60 bux and now have 200 sq ft for gardening in 2 plots. I getting started tomorrow. Any suggestions on stuff to plant? I'm in Dallas Texas.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

LunaSky posted:

I just moved and found a community garden in my neighborhood. I paid my 60 bux and now have 200 sq ft for gardening in 2 plots. I getting started tomorrow. Any suggestions on stuff to plant? I'm in Dallas Texas.

Plant the stuff you already eat or would eat if it wasn't so expensive, filtered by your skill level and the ease of growing. Don't put in more than one zucchini plant. Limit the number of species and varieties in general if you're new and limit yourself to one new variety or weird thing per season. If you're new at this then realize that 200 sq ft is a lot of space and work. Don't try to do everything the first year, just take it slow and focus on getting success with a few things, then build on that next year. Buying plant starts for transplanting is more expensive than seeds but it's one less thing to worry about going wrong when getting started.

I'm not that familiar with the Texas climate for gardening, but around here in the mild PNW for a new gardener I'd go with: lettuce mix, snap peas, bush beans, cherry tomatoes, one zucchini or other summer squash, and potatoes. I'm guessing you could have good results in Texas with heirloom tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplants, and melons too. If you don't have herbs at home then tuck a few of them in around your plot. Your fellow gardeners may be able to advise you on other plants that act to deter pests, like marigold or calendula.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Plant the stuff you already eat or would eat if it wasn't so expensive, filtered by your skill level and the ease of growing. Don't put in more than one zucchini plant. Limit the number of species and varieties in general if you're new and limit yourself to one new variety or weird thing per season. If you're new at this then realize that 200 sq ft is a lot of space and work. Don't try to do everything the first year, just take it slow and focus on getting success with a few things, then build on that next year. Buying plant starts for transplanting is more expensive than seeds but it's one less thing to worry about going wrong when getting started.

I'm not that familiar with the Texas climate for gardening, but around here in the mild PNW for a new gardener I'd go with: lettuce mix, snap peas, bush beans, cherry tomatoes, one zucchini or other summer squash, and potatoes. I'm guessing you could have good results in Texas with heirloom tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplants, and melons too. If you don't have herbs at home then tuck a few of them in around your plot. Your fellow gardeners may be able to advise you on other plants that act to deter pests, like marigold or calendula.

The best thing about community gardens is the community.* Ask around at the garden - try to find people who look like they know what they're doing. They can tell you what will grow there, when to plant it, etc. I'd guess it's a little early to plant tomatoes or peppers, but other gardeners, or nursery employees should be able to tell you what works locally.

And if you're new to gardening, buy starter plants when you can. If it's warm enough, you might be able to grow tomatoes or even peppers from seed directly in your plots, but definitely don't jump into a basement grow-room setup, just to avoid paying $1.50 per plant in the spring. I suggest you pick two or three things that are known as being easy to grow in your area. Even if they aren't your favorite foods, having some success with something will help keep it fun. And pick two or three things that you really want to grow, even if they're a little temperamental. This helps keep you motivated by hoping you can get some really cool stuff to grow.

One specific recommendation: plant some garlic this fall for next year. It's fun to have something to plant that late in the season when the rest of your garden is dying out, it seems to be pretty easy to grow, and you can plant it somewhere you've already used once during the season (add compost to the soil first, of course), so it doesn't take up any extra room. It's also possible that, in Texas, you could plant it very early in the spring - ask around!

* The worst thing about community gardens is also the community.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cpt.Wacky posted:

If you're new at this then realize that 200 sq ft is a lot of space.

Agree to disagree. 2 10x10 plots are minuscule when you do things like zuke, cukes and such.

Plant horse radish and then come back in a couple years if you are a horrible person.
(keep in mind that fresh horseradish is awesome)

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I have some balcony and windowsill space with very consistent indirect sunlight. I live somewhere it's sunny year round, and with winters that don't get down to freezing and summers that are enough to kill most wildlife.

I'm having trouble with the fact that I've got indirect sun/building shade for almost the entire day. What should I plant, indoors or outdoors? Should I buy a grow light to give a little more boost to my window-sill plants?

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Gstu posted:

I have some balcony and windowsill space with very consistent indirect sunlight. I live somewhere it's sunny year round, and with winters that don't get down to freezing and summers that are enough to kill most wildlife.

I'm having trouble with the fact that I've got indirect sun/building shade for almost the entire day. What should I plant, indoors or outdoors? Should I buy a grow light to give a little more boost to my window-sill plants?

I think you'll probably get more specific/useful responses if you say where you are. If you're in the US, you can contact your local extension service for advice on (at least) outdoor gardening. Local garden clubs and/or community gardens can also be a good resource. And you can watch local nurseries to see when different kinds of plants start being sold each season, to give you a rough idea of what to plant, and when to plant it.

In general, growing herbs indoors is a common activity, so you might start with that in your window. On the balcony, you could try lettuce or some other greens - seed packets will tell you if the plants need full sun, partial sun, etc. Start with the most shade tolerant stuff you can find, and then experiment with things needing more light. Seeds are usually pretty cheap, so if something doesn't work, you won't be out a lot of money.

I wouldn't get a light for your indoor plants unless you find you aren't successful without one, but if you want to hedge your bets, it won't hurt anything. Just keep in mind that it burns electricity (which can make for some very expensive basil growing in your window), and that fluorescent bulbs lose their useful wavelengths fairly quickly.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm in Dubai. Late January and today is 70% humidity, high of 80, low of 65.

http://imgur.com/a/cTuzn

Left to right I've got sad parsley and sad chamomile that have been trucking along at about that height and health for a few months, and then a ginger root that decided it wanted to live and not be stir fry, and in the past month since planting has just grown like crazy.

This photo is (right now) in the couple of hours where the sun is direct before it passes behind the building.

In the background is some basil that I repotted and moved to the balcony and has since not done well.

I guess I'm up for another trip to the garden center some time soon, and I'll look around and see what might work.

allouratoms
Dec 18, 2015
Can anyone help? I have a set of 4 miniature pumpkins in containers, grown from seed, all took off really well, but I've just come home from 3 weeks away and found one short, little vine that's throwing male flowers like it's going out of style, and 3 bare plants that are about a foot long, growing vertically like tomato plants. Is this something that will resolve and see them set fruit? Should I stake/wire them horizontally and make them creep? Something else?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I'm getting ready to start a worm bin. I bought and drilled the bins, got the bedding set up, ordered the worms and am gathering the first load of kitchen scraps for when they arrive. :can:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Neon Noodle posted:

I'm getting ready to start a worm bin. I bought and drilled the bins, got the bedding set up, ordered the worms and am gathering the first load of kitchen scraps for when they arrive. :can:
Nice! My worms are my best buds. They don't like limes and too many lemons will also cause a revolt but aside from that they eat everything, pretty much.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

allouratoms posted:

Can anyone help? I have a set of 4 miniature pumpkins in containers, grown from seed, all took off really well, but I've just come home from 3 weeks away and found one short, little vine that's throwing male flowers like it's going out of style, and 3 bare plants that are about a foot long, growing vertically like tomato plants. Is this something that will resolve and see them set fruit? Should I stake/wire them horizontally and make them creep? Something else?

What kind of weather you been having?

allouratoms
Dec 18, 2015

Suspect Bucket posted:

What kind of weather you been having?

It's been really hot, 30°C average (Australia) over the last 2 weeks. They get partial shade throughout the day and get watered every second day at the minimum.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

allouratoms posted:

It's been really hot, 30°C average (Australia) over the last 2 weeks. They get partial shade throughout the day and get watered every second day at the minimum.

Water twice daily on 30-35+ days, think about setting up some shade cloth over them. That sun is brutal in our summers.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spookydonut posted:

Water twice daily on 30-35+ days, think about setting up some shade cloth over them. That sun is brutal in our summers.

I concur. Also, what kind of mulch are you using? Another few inches of a light colored mulch around the base will help keep things damp and cool on the hot days. Helps a lot here in Florida.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I recently started a little herb garden on my patio and was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations for a beginner? Looking for maybe a pocket reference or a baby's first type of deal.

Searching for 'Herb gardening' on amazon mostly yields results such as: A Simple Guide to GROWING DANK WEED: Indoor and Outdoor

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

I recently started a little herb garden on my patio and was wondering if anyone had any book recommendations for a beginner? Looking for maybe a pocket reference or a baby's first type of deal.

Searching for 'Herb gardening' on amazon mostly yields results such as: A Simple Guide to GROWING DANK WEED: Indoor and Outdoor

My alma mater puts out great free PDFs on various topics for home gardeners.

https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/yardandgarden/gardening-bulletins/

Some/All information may not apply to climates dramatically different from the Midwest.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm a fan of "What's Wrong with My Vegetable Garden?" It's not 100% on vegetables. If I can't find what I'm looking for in there, the local ag college/state university school of agriculture almost always has a website or an extension agent who can help out.

If you live in New England, the University of Rhode Island has a Master Gardener program. Part of that is that the master gardeners actually operate a hotline to help people out with home gardening questions. They also run lots of free soil pH tests throughout the year. The UMass system can do a deeper dive on soil composition and safety for a relatively low fee, too. Two very helpful institutions.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

extravadanza posted:

My alma mater puts out great free PDFs on various topics for home gardeners.

https://www.purdue.edu/hla/sites/yardandgarden/gardening-bulletins/

Some/All information may not apply to climates dramatically different from the Midwest.

Yeah, this is good advice. Check with your local colleges and/or extension office. They're a public service and provide free locally catered educational material.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The :can: arrived and through some apparently very involved wrangling they were shuffled into the bin. They immediately started trying to leave. This morning I woke up to about 20 worms all over the kitchen floor. They have sufficient food and moisture in there, and the bedding is fluffed up and well ventilated. For now I am shining a clamp light down over the open bin to suppress their adventurous tendencies, but I am concern. :ohdear:

A few web sites (and the Uncle Jim's Worm Farm instructions) say that they will be restless for the first 48 hours or so, I hope that they will settle in soon because I don't want to be sweeping up their dumbass dried up husks all over the floor every morning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neon Noodle posted:

I hope that they will settle in soon because I don't want to be sweeping up their dumbass dried up husks all over the floor every morning.

Gardening really is just like parenting.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Put a lid on the bin?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The bin has a lid, but it also has many air holes because otherwise they would suffocate. They are mostly just curious, it seems. They're not all trying to get out anymore, but we'll see what happens when the sun goes down...

Edit: WORM UPDATE :siren:
After shining a light in the bin for a day, they made it through the night with the lid on and everyone seems comfortable now. :3:

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 28, 2017

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Has anyone tried growing fruit trees from seed? Or grafting trees? Please, share your tale to help pass this drat winter along.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A few winters ago I felt much like you do right now and had a debate with my girlfriend over whether or not seeds from a piece of grocery store fruit would germinate. She assumed the wouldn't. So to prove her wrong I germinated two lemon trees and a few blood oranges. The blood oranges have only done so so and are still quite small and sickly looking but the lemons are doing great.

Here's how they look now, lemons on the left, blood oranges on the right. This is just barely over two years of growth for all of them.

They don't like winter very much. The way my apartment is situated, they only get direct sun for about two to three hours a day. They tend to lose quite a few leaves over the course of the winter, but the shorter one on the left has had a recent trunk and branch growth spurt. That's why there's a big bare section of trunk on top – the leaf buds on that section are just chilling and waiting for warmer weather.

Honestly, it was a pretty fun thing to do when everything outside was dead or hibernating. They'll be living in pots their whole lives, so I need to start thinking about training them sometime soon. The one on the left, for example, has a enough branches that they're all competing with each other for sunlight. It probably needs to be trimmed or at least wired.

I've posted a few pictures of them over the years, so here are some early photos when they were just seedlings:

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 29, 2017

Sir Bedevere
Nov 5, 2009
Oh, very cool, kedo. Thank you. Those lemons and oranges look lovely. I've been collecting apples that have proven themselves able to survive/thrive without human intervention, and also wild plums (cold end of zone 3). I'm going to be direct sowing in the early spring, and I also tossed a bunch around in the fall...not really sure what will stick.

You're dead on about needing more winter entertainment, hence my first attempt to start some indoors last week.
Well, the plums took about 2 days to get patches of white mold on their bodies, so I stopped trying to sprout them...I wonder if they would have been okay if I continued?
I was going to use hydrogen peroxide, diluted, to try to get a handle on the mold. That is until I read that chamomile can be used as an anti fungal. I'll try it out!

This week I will be collecting my first ever scion wood from apples and plums, I am so bloody excited to get those suckers grafted on to a few of the nice looking feral apples I've found in my shelter belts (40 or so, so far). My job and shameless behaviour allowed me to obtain permission to take scions from about 15 different trees last summer/fall, so I'll be trying to take full advantage of that by trying many different grafts.

Yep...that winter waiting is driving me nuts this year. 23 new fruit trees in the ground last season, too! 12 Sour cherries from the Romance series from U of Sask, 6 wild plums, 3 apples (Wealthy, Trust, Sweet Sixteen) and 2 pears (Julienne and Southworth)

...Just needed to yell into the void about fruit trees, I guess. So...Thanks!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I envy you guys with lots of fruit trees. We have 4 various apple, a pear and a sorry excuse for a sour cherry. The latter only because the muledeer won't let it get tall enough to be out of their reach.

Getting a beehive this spring and between those trees and our newly designed garden area, on top of the gazillion dandelions we get in the area, the bees should be choking on honey in no time.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'm working at UNNAMED FRUIT BOUQUET CHAIN and drat I could start a container pineapple farm. Who wants to spot me 100 20gal pots? I'll pay you back in five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm working at UNNAMED FRUIT BOUQUET CHAIN and drat I could start a container pineapple farm. Who wants to spot me 100 20gal pots? I'll pay you back in five years.

Get the cloth pots off amazon, they are just a few dollars each. 10 gallons are $5