Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Casimir Radon posted:

Snow Crash is really obvious satire. One of the ideas Stephenson likes to play with is that the real difference between smart and stupid people is the ability to understand subtlety. Libertarians all seem to think the world presented is a paradise where any rational person can see it's a hellscape parody of 80s excess.
I did a line of coke with Herbert Gittes at Goldcard and before McDermott hailed this cab to head for Nell’s I took a Halcion to get rid of the edge from the cocaine, but it hasn’t sunk in yet. Courtney seems attracted to McDermott and since her Chembank card wasn’t functioning tonight, at least not at the automated teller we stopped at (the reason being she uses it too often to cut lines of coke with, though she would never admit this; cocaine residue has, at various times, hosed up my card also) and McDermott’s was working, she bypassed mine in favor of his, which means, knowing Courtney, that she wants to gently caress McDermott. But it doesn’t really matter. Even though I’m more handsome than Craig, we both look pretty much the same. Talking animals were the topic of this morning’s Patty Winters Show. An octopus was floating in a makeshift aquarium with a microphone attached to one of its tentacles and it kept asking—or so its “trainer,” who is positive that mollusks have vocal cords, assured us—for “cheese.” I watched, vaguely transfixed, until I started to sob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Not the part where he buys The Best of Bruno don't care

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I was playing with some variables on JRodimus Prime today, and, well:
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/824627779765428229
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/824628167314903041

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

the setting of naruto is basically a retelling of the first establishment of city-states and civilization but with magic

at first glance this might seem like an ancap paradise but somehow i'm not sure a bunch of people for whom the establishment of government is within living memory are going to be eager for anarchy, particularly when there are huge groups of bloodthirsty assassins loyal to the state everywhere

The whole reason why the ninja villages got set up is that everybody was so tired of constant warfare that they were more then willing to unite with anybody. Hell the main village in the story was set up by two clans who had spent generations trying to kill each other but had grown sick of not being able to hold birthday parties for the kids without worrying about assassination or kidnapping attempts.

This is the reason why I find any claims that a society without a government will somehow lead to more peace and more commerce. The whole point of government is to allow people to stop worrying about being killed by their neighbors and instead try to be productive.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hunt11 posted:

The whole point of government is to allow people to stop worrying about being killed by their neighbors and instead try to be productive.

With no government you get all the joy of Afghan generational blood feuds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/2061531/Afghan-blood-feud-ends-after-30-years.html

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Libertarians are all pseudo intellectuals who believe that they will be able to dominate the masses with the 'superior' brains. In reality though it will just be like High School where they get beaten up by the jocks but this time there will be no one stopping the Jocks from caving in their skull with a rock.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Given the close correlation of libertarianism with racism, they'd more likely just blame that on the Uncontrollable Savagery of the Degenerate Musselman.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007
You know things are going well when

quote:

The locals say that even the Taliban took one look at the chaos and went elsewhere.
If only a private company existed, the blood feuders would have been too scared to walk out into the streets.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Casimir Radon posted:

EDIT: Mark Ames isn't the guy from The eXile who admitted to doing it with underage prostitutes, right?
All I know about Mark Ames is that my one libertarian friend described him as having a huge hate-boner for libertarianism and producing hatchet jobs about them regularly, like that excellent piece about Gary Johnson, so I really do hope he's not a bad person :ohdear:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Snow Crash is really obvious satire. One of the ideas Stephenson likes to play with is that the real difference between smart and stupid people is the ability to understand subtlety. Libertarians all seem to think the world presented is a paradise where any rational person can see it's a hellscape parody of 80s excess.

That was a really excellent read. The author really managed to staple the goofy as gently caress poo poo they advocated in the past right to their modern attempts at legitimacy. They should go after weirdo Youtube "intellectuals" next.

EDIT: Mark Ames isn't the guy from The eXile who admitted to doing it with underage prostitutes, right?

Ames is the exile guy yeah

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

All I know about Mark Ames is that my one libertarian friend described him as having a huge hate-boner for libertarianism and producing hatchet jobs about them regularly, like that excellent piece about Gary Johnson, so I really do hope he's not a bad person :ohdear:

IIRC Mr. Ames would write columns in The eXile about Moscow prostitutes he hired and he'd grade their sexual performance. And he does get hilariously torqued off about libertarian anything. http://www.salon.com/2010/11/24/tyner/

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Libertarians : dystopia's my land, dystopia's your land

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Osmosisch posted:

Libertarians : dystopia's my land, dystopia's your also my land

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
I'm Facebook friends with a libertarian activist from college who is something of an anomaly. She's neck deep in the movement (founded our campus Libertarian chapter, our chapter of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, etc) who holds a lot oof intersection a list views. I was kind of surprised to see today that she was defending Uber over their JFK airport scabbing scheme so I asked her how she felt about strikebreaking. Her dad replied, and it ends up he owns a construction company and a lot of reasons for her libertarianism just kind of clicked into place.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Poster child for libertarianism right there.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Well not only is she pro strike breaking ("but my cat and my guinea pig!" Was basically her response), but apparently she thinks these protests are meaningless. Seems an odd position to take for someone who campaigned so hard and used so much of her time to advocate for voting for a third party.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

AShamefulDisplay posted:

"but my cat and my guinea pig!"

what does this mean

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

DeusExMachinima posted:

what does this mean

Sounds like she's got to be able to feed her babies. Too bad everyone everywhere is striking, and we don't have neighbors or pantries, and you can only buy one day's worth of food at a time.

E: the fact that those caught in Trump's dumb immigration EO might have starving pets is apparently not an issue

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I've known for a while that some of my coworkers identified as libertarian. At least two voted for Johnson. However, I hadn't really realized just how deep the rabbit hole went. Understand this is paraphrased, but...

"Everyone has the same opportunities. Just look at me, I started with nothing and here I am."

"Uh, you're meaning that metaphorically right?"

"No, everyone has all the same opportunities."

"Dude, you just finished complaining about how lovely your school was."

"It doesn't matter everyone has the same opportunities, no matter what. There's just a culture of not working hard or succeeding."

"Ok, I can agree that this is a problem. Not having good opportunities or education leads to people embracing those as part of their identity in order to cope with the lovely hand they've been dealt. What's your proposal?"

"They shouldn't have kids. We should stop them from having kids. There's a word for how we can do this..."

"Chemical castration?"

"Exactly!"

"Uh, so when studies show that people of color with identical backgrounds are given job offers at lower rates..."

"Same problem. Same solution."

:stonklol: I gave up when he started saying that modern science was just trying to push a narrative and that's why every study disagrees with him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That escalated quickly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

That escalated quickly.

Within many a libertarian, there is an SS eugenicist waiting to emerge. For some, it was never that far from the surface to begin with.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Within many a libertarian, there is an SS eugenicist waiting to emerge. For some, it was never that far from the surface to begin with.

I would love to see an explanation for how libertarian eugenics would work

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is what I hate about Eugenics and racism in general. If they are so inferior to you then why waste time and resources worrying about them, and if they are such a threat then why do everything in your power to antagonize them?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

This is what I hate about Eugenics and racism in general. If they are so inferior to you then why waste time and resources worrying about them, and if they are such a threat then why do everything in your power to antagonize them?

*Trembles with cursor over that familiar Eco piece, sweat beading in an effort to resist its siren song*

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

VideoTapir posted:

Everyone gets a reversible sterilization at birth. If you can afford to have the switch flipped back on, viola, have some kids.

-- Literally a thing a dude in college thought. He got better though.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Everyone gets a reversible sterilization at birth. If you can afford to have the switch flipped back on, viola, have some kids.

-- Literally a thing a dude in college thought. He got better though.

I want an explanation for how the sterilization gets enforced that doesn't require the intervention of a state.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

VideoTapir posted:

I want an explanation for how the sterilization gets enforced that doesn't require the intervention of a state.

Nanites. The people who made the nanites are benevolent. Nanites was his solution to everything, he really wanted the Singularity to happen. A Hyper-God AI isn't the State, you see.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I appreciate the level of scientific ignorance that a sterilization-based negative eugenics requires.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I have had my interest in mocking libertarians, and especially ancaps, renewed by this thread. What are some good venues other than Facebook to encounter them in the wild? I mean apart from anything to do with Bitcoin, that's gotten a bit dull.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Given the close correlation of libertarianism with racism, they'd more likely just blame that on the Uncontrollable Savagery of the Degenerate Musselman.

Iceland was founded by white norsemen who left Norway because the taxes were too high. And their society was almost destroyed by bloodfeuds until they formed a government who put an end to it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Alhazred posted:

Iceland was founded by white norsemen who left Norway because the taxes were too high. And their society was almost destroyed by bloodfeuds until they formed a government who put an end to it.

Meanwhile, if you believe Jared Diamond, Greenland Norse society WAS destroyed by wealth inequality.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VideoTapir posted:

I have had my interest in mocking libertarians, and especially ancaps, renewed by this thread. What are some good venues other than Facebook to encounter them in the wild? I mean apart from anything to do with Bitcoin, that's gotten a bit dull.

Reddit

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Alhazred posted:

Got any good sources?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

White Coke posted:

Got any good sources?

The sagas, for a start.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

VideoTapir posted:

Reddit has many, many of their subreddits in the wild. EnoughLibertarianSpam and the fellow travellers linked in its sidebar will give you the cream of the crop.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Alhazred posted:

This has come up before but, hilariously, libertarians hold up medieval Iceland as an example of effectively ancap rule working swell.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Hey, can we talk about this guy Dave Rubin? He comes off as a concern troll who is Very Worried about what he calls "the regressive left," a label to which he seems to attribute vaguely anyone belonging to a minority advocacy effort. It's part of a trend I've noticed that tries to conflate all the goofy "dragonkin are more oppressed than turtlekin" rules that are softly enforced on Tumblr, with the whole of civil liberties campaigns, per the shifting sands of "identity politics."

He's got some hallmark libertarians dog whistles, specifically his opposition to "putting groups before people," which I assume is how he responds to the trolley problem, and couches it all within his values of "classical liberalism," aka "free markets == free speech, the end."

I'm worried at how guys like this can be seductive to people with no way to contextualize the motivated headlines that are put in front of them about students going PC-cuh-RAAAAAAYYYYYY-zy! and suppressing SPEEEEECH (aka hiring someone to present at an auditorium) and if you read the original source it turns out to be something relatively benign.

Where would you place this in the libertarian constellation?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VideoTapir posted:

If you wish to be a tenant farmer on my privately owned land, you must submit to the examinations of the chirurgeons so that your flesh may be judged. Those whose blood is pure may join my Wehrbauern; those found wanting shall be given to the boilermen. Otherwise, you can take your chances in the shatterlands, where nothing grows, and the baying of the erb and the grue may be heard across the bone-littered plains.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What happened to the podcast that Caros, Paragon1, etc. were doing? The first episode was great, and I want MOAR. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

This has come up before but, hilariously, libertarians hold up medieval Iceland as an example of effectively ancap rule working swell.
To quote wikipedia
In the ensuing centuries, Iceland became one of the poorest countries in Europe. Infertile soil, volcanic eruptions, deforestation and an unforgiving climate made for harsh life in a society where subsistence depended almost entirely on agriculture. The Black Death swept Iceland twice, first in 1402–1404 and again in 1494–1495.[26] The former outbreak killed 50% to 60% of the population, and the latter 30% to 50%.