Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You could go with the same 1/16 T-34/85 kit from Trumpeter I'm currently doing. It's a beautiful kit, full interior too. Nice and big as well, without being "...where the hell am I going to keep this" big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Cluttered up the table a little bit more, how does it look?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Cluttered up the table a little bit more, how does it look?

Why are your model's plans spotty and smudged and plans used for repair of an actual tank pristine and clean? Dirty them up a little.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
And the little tool or the can should be on the plans so they don't blow away

Looks real nice :)

Or a coffee mug if you have one!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Dr. Phildo posted:

And the little tool or the can should be on the plans so they don't blow away

Looks real nice :)

Or a coffee mug if you have one!

Hm, I think I might have one lying around somewhere.

Pierzak posted:

Why are your model's plans spotty and smudged and plans used for repair of an actual tank pristine and clean? Dirty them up a little.

Yup, I was going to do that once everything is in place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had a hellish time doing this gravelly dirty area, but I finally got it right. There's like 6 layers of stuff under there....

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

First two painted non-bandai kits.
Tried weathering both with oils, but I'm not too happy with the way it turned out on the Nieuport.

An Eduard 1/72 Nieuport 17:

An Airfix 1/72 Fokker EII:

The wings look a bit more saggy in the photos than they do in person.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I'd be damned happy to have those planes on my shelf.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Those planes look great.

Still planking the Soleil Royal, almost done with the gunports, things should pick up a bit of speed afterwards.

I also made four anchors for her

Finished first planking of the Bismarck and started on the superstructures

Got the brass steam engines tender up on its feet. Only got a bit of interior left to do and then it's time to move on to building the display track.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Look at what showed up! The crap plane!

Out of the box. The line up issues are as advertised. It's not so much a kit as the raw material to carve a kit out of.

These two are being pressed together.

After some clean up. The red arrow is pointing to the wheel winglet and it's just straight going to need to be carved. I wondered what the two thin pieces were and then I realized THOSE ARE THE SPARS! You have to cut them (ALL) to size, and then glue them. There's just the barest impression of where the braces go.These things have no strength whatsoever. I may just carve some toothpicks instead.

I have no idea why the top wing was molded in three pieces.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Yesssss. Looking forward to what you're going to do with it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Are those detail parts cast in pewter :psyduck: Show us.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Bonus shot of the instructions.

I think it might just be pewter. incidentally, those seats are meant to be glued to the side of one of the fuselage pieces THEN the interior is painted. You don't see it but part of the instructions for painting the US version essentially say that they don't know what colors they were, you're on your own for that.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Are there no pictures in the instructions?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Are there no pictures in the instructions?

ShitKit delivers.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

This is it.

Now think about it. Those braces have to be measured and cut by hand.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Yes! He's opened the box! He can't send it back now! Just like the old gypsy woman predicted...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I have a resin Char B1 that's like this. It was $20 while the only other Char B model I've seen is the Tamiya that goes for $70+. The instructions are text and line drawings of the tank itself, but at least they are more verbose and the parts are higher quality.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

This looks to be so rare, Scalemates doesn't even know of its existence.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Greyhawk posted:

But why would you even want to know of its existence?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Smoke posted:

But why would you even want to know of its existence?

Sadism?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Greyhawk posted:

It should be added!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The body of the plane should be easy enough. I've got some scrap Sintra/Komotex which is a plastic that's really easy to carve, I'll use it to shore up the inside. Those struts, that's gonna be a bugger.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

It should be added!

If Darth can get a good shot of the box, I'll put it up.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I'm not sure "good" is a word I'd use with this kit but here's a picture.

The original box was something else.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

That's perfect. Thanks. Added it to the database now.

EDIT: And the other one too.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 3, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh my god, even the box is trash.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Darth Brooks posted:

I'm not sure "good" is a word I'd use with this kit but here's a picture.

The original box was something else.

Ha, I never knew that was underneath. That'd probably be way easier to build too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darth Brooks posted:

Bonus shot of the instructions.

I think it might just be pewter. incidentally, those seats are meant to be glued to the side of one of the fuselage pieces THEN the interior is painted. You don't see it but part of the instructions for painting the US version essentially say that they don't know what colors they were, you're on your own for that.

I think the best part is the typo: "Check with planes for correct alignment".

So you just have to go find yourself an original Fokker C.I and get some good measurements and you are all good to go with the proper alignment!

The other great instruction is to add "Guns, propeller, etc." Hope you know what all is included in "etc.". Hahaha..

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

The Locator posted:

I think the best part is the typo: "Check with planes for correct alignment".

So you just have to go find yourself an original Fokker C.I and get some good measurements and you are all good to go with the proper alignment!

The other great instruction is to add "Guns, propeller, etc." Hope you know what all is included in "etc.". Hahaha..

I'm surprised there are not a bunch of points on that guide where it just says "weep silently" or "pour yourself something strong first, then"

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, maybe there's a model railroad thread and I haven't seen it, and this post isn't really on the modeling side, but I'm really pumped. I've been visiting the model railroad hobby shop one town over, but I just found out there's a USED hobby shop two towns over. They've got a fancy Paasche compressor new but without packaging for $150. I picked up a bunch of N scale switches (with motors) for $2 a piece. Lastly, at the rail shop, they sold me a SPROG DCC system that they had used in the shop for $40 instead of the usual $100 (discontinued, $130 for the new models).

I'll pick up that compressor when I get bonus money in a few weeks (providing they still have it).

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Italeri 2017 preview. I'm not quite sure what people would like most. 1/9th scale Kettenrad? 1/35 German Torpedo Boat? 1/32 F-35? Their cars are pretty cool: where else could you get a kit of an old Fiat 500 or a Renault 5?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mr. Powers posted:

So, maybe there's a model railroad thread and I haven't seen it, and this post isn't really on the modeling side, but I'm really pumped. I've been visiting the model railroad hobby shop one town over, but I just found out there's a USED hobby shop two towns over. They've got a fancy Paasche compressor new but without packaging for $150. I picked up a bunch of N scale switches (with motors) for $2 a piece. Lastly, at the rail shop, they sold me a SPROG DCC system that they had used in the shop for $40 instead of the usual $100 (discontinued, $130 for the new models).

I'll pick up that compressor when I get bonus money in a few weeks (providing they still have it).

People share their model railroad stuff here all the time. Post away, friend. :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The expanding line of 1/56 tanks will probably be most popular, as that's 28mm scale, ie made for the historical wargame Bolt Action, where previously only expensive and difficult resin kits have been available.

Nebakenezzer posted:

1/35 German Torpedo Boat

:stwoon:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finally got back into the workshop, with the plan to mill some boxwood to make a pinnace. On the 2nd test cut to get the thickness set on the bandsaw using a scrap piece of pine 2x8, the blade (which is very new) snapped. Welp.

Opened up the saw to remove the broken blade, and discovered that the blade tensioner is now rubbing against the top pulley metal on metal. Guess my $25 bandsaw wasn't meant to serve my boat building needs for the long term. Given how cheap they are, I suppose it will join the horrible excuse for a scroll-saw that I had in the trash-bin.

Given the thickness of the source wood that I can get for milling (normally 3" thick) I should consider a full size bandsaw, but really don't want to deal with a full size saw out in the garage, sort of liked having the little one inside. Maybe I'll just do all my primary bandsaw cutting at a friends house for now until I make up my mind for long-term replacement.

If I do go full-size I'd have to go for a Craigslist buy, as I really can't justify the new cost for one.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Kibner posted:

People share their model railroad stuff here all the time. Post away, friend. :)

Oh, that was the extent of my post. I don't have any build yet. I need to build a work bench for my garage, pick up a table saw from my wife's uncle (and a newer miter saw from my dad) so that I can build the bench work.

My wife is on board because we're going to try to do a somewhat accurate Gravity Falls model. It'll be either 4x6 or 4x7.5 in three pieces. We'll probably 3D print a lot of elements in terms of buildings.

So, semi-related. Can I get some suggestions for lines of airbrush ready paints that don't need to be thinned? At both shops, they only had our could order paints that needed thinning and I was told here (or on a starter guide) to use pre-thinned paints to start.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Nebakenezzer posted:

Italeri 2017 preview. I'm not quite sure what people would like most. 1/9th scale Kettenrad? 1/35 German Torpedo Boat? 1/32 F-35? Their cars are pretty cool: where else could you get a kit of an old Fiat 500 or a Renault 5?
How much is Italeri paying you? :shepspends:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Italeri seems like one of those manufacturers where everyone looks at their stuff and goes "Hmm, that's nice.", but no one actually ever buys their stuff.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

So, semi-related. Can I get some suggestions for lines of airbrush ready paints that don't need to be thinned? At both shops, they only had our could order paints that needed thinning and I was told here (or on a starter guide) to use pre-thinned paints to start.

I am not 100% on this but I believe that Vallejo paints come pre-thinned. Either way if you are planning to airbrush acrylic paint, it is really easy to thin. You just need to add some water or windex until you get the correct consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Italeri seems like one of those manufacturers where everyone looks at their stuff and goes "Hmm, that's nice.", but no one actually ever buys their stuff.

I actually bought something they made! Last year, or the year before - Mk III Sunderland. I've started, but not completed it. It did have photoetch - also a very nice little feature. The kit included the bits to make it a Mk. IIIA, with the Mk. 3 centimetric radar.

Cartoon posted:

How much is Italeri paying you? :shepspends:

I'm an agent for several groups but I enable scale model making for free