Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

For any Illinois goons, WEN's US headquarters? main distributor? is in Elgin. They occasionally post stuff on Craigslist but you can call and ask what they've got they're looking to get rid of.
I went there to get a cheapo drill press and left with that, a bandsaw, and a bench grinder, all for under like $150 total. They told me Amazon won't allow them to sell stuff with damaged packaging, so they try to hock it online for like 40-80% off.

The tools are little better than Harbor Freight* quality, but you can get them for a song and (like me) use them for small or one-off jobs until you're ready to upgrade.

* I will say the bandsaw is actually pretty okay, but the fence and mitre gauge it comes with are straight up garbage and you'll have to get/make your own. Replace the blade, too.

stealth e: contact info at http://www.wenproducts.com/store/index.php?route=information/contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I bought a kerosene heater for my workshed, and I'm almost out of the can of klean strip kerosene the guy gave me. the gas stations near me do not have their pumps well labeled, but the BP sells ultra low sulfur kerosene, undyed (15ppm). Is this safe for an indoor heater? random googling suggests this is better specced than the the 1-k, and a third of the price as the klean strip stuff.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Probably just fine. I run anything between road diesel and klean-strip kerosene in the eberspacher heater in my bus, and that's a much touchier heater than most indoor floor units.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I've been using a leatherman clone in my work (A/V technician) for the past year. Find that more than anything else on it, I'm using either the pliers in place of a crescent wrench (dumb, I know) or the knife. I've used the saw and file once or twice but each time was glad to have 'em. I want to replace it with something that actually has an adjustable wrench but still does the other stuff.

I'm looking for something like this but not a piece of shoddy crap. Any of you seen such a thing?

vvv: that's a good idea, thanks!

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 4, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Cut down a small crescent wrench so it's the same length as the Leatherman, and store it in the same pouch, side by side.

My dad is an electrician, and before that spent 25 years in A/V repair (back when people regularly repaired things like that). It's what he does, and gets you out of 90% of "oh poo poo" situations when you're on top of a ladder.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I've been using a leatherman clone in my work (A/V technician) for the past year. Find that more than anything else on it, I'm using either the pliers in place of a crescent wrench (dumb, I know) or the knife. I've used the saw and file once or twice but each time was glad to have 'em. I want to replace it with something that actually has an adjustable wrench but still does the other stuff.

I'm looking for something like this but not a piece of shoddy crap. Any of you seen such a thing?

Real crescent wrench and leatherman micra (best small tool by far in my opinion).

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I'm not surprised you can't find much for adjustable wrenches--I've never found them to ever be all that useful of a tool. Almost any pair of channel locks will always do a better job at any ham handed task you'd use a crescent for.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Alternatively,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x22yNaLdiGA

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'd skip the crescent wrench and get the smallest Knipex pliers wrench. The 5" long one goes to 7/8".

Also, I've carried a Leatherman Surge for about a decade, and I always say "It's never the RIGHT tool for any job, but it's a passable substitute about 80%of the time."

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 4, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leatherman does make their Crunch, but it has locking pliers instead of adjustable ones.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Nthing the dedicated crescent wrench. I've been doing local prod/theatre work for a while now (for beer money), and a good crescent you can adjust easily one-handed is a lifesaver. I've got a Kobalt 8" wrench with an adjustment slide that is incredibly useful, but I don't think they're making that style anymore.

I do want to try out one of those Knipex, they look interesting. This thread also showed me this: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ
which may work too. Depending on what kind of a/v work you do.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Brute Squad posted:

Nthing the dedicated crescent wrench. I've been doing local prod/theatre work for a while now (for beer money), and a good crescent you can adjust easily one-handed is a lifesaver. I've got a Kobalt 8" wrench with an adjustment slide that is incredibly useful, but I don't think they're making that style anymore.

I do want to try out one of those Knipex, they look interesting. This thread also showed me this: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610-10-Inch-MaxGrip-Adjustable/dp/B00009OYGZ
which may work too. Depending on what kind of a/v work you do.

I have both the Knipex pliers wrench and the Stanley locking crescent. The Knipex are nice because you can "ratchet" with it, whereas the crescent you have to unlock, remove, and put it back on the fastener. The Knipex can also handle bigger fasteners.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Nm, found it

wormil fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 6, 2017

DoktorVerderben
Nov 23, 2009

I found it... beneath me.

I used to be a big multitool guy. I had many different types over the years and for a long time carried one everyday. Once I got a job that used tools everyday, and that killed the multitool for me. If you have to use a tool often, get a dedicated tool, one that doesn't have a bunch of compromises built into it. I'm a big fan of the Knipex Plierswrench in lieu of a crescent wrench, and my prefered work knife is either a Morakniv Craftline or one that takes disposable razorblades. The only real "multi" tool I carry anymore is a multibit screwdriver, a Wera Kraftform Kompakt.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Knipex is good, but it sounded like he wanted something small and belt-pouch-able? I probably read too much into it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

DoktorVerderben posted:

I used to be a big multitool guy. I had many different types over the years and for a long time carried one everyday. Once I got a job that used tools everyday, and that killed the multitool for me. If you have to use a tool often, get a dedicated tool, one that doesn't have a bunch of compromises built into it. I'm a big fan of the Knipex Plierswrench in lieu of a crescent wrench, and my prefered work knife is either a Morakniv Craftline or one that takes disposable razorblades. The only real "multi" tool I carry anymore is a multibit screwdriver, a Wera Kraftform Kompakt.

This really depends on the job environment, though. In my last two buildings I could take care of a lot of work orders just with my leatherman on first look. It doesn't beat the quality of using purpose-built tools for their uses, but it's very convenient.

On the other hand, I used to work in a 4 million square foot building where for every call you'd take a cart with a few of everything you could imagine and all the tools you could carry because going for a part took 30 minutes.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Knipex is good, but it sounded like he wanted something small and belt-pouch-able? I probably read too much into it.

Knipex makes 5 and 6 inch pliers wrenches in addition to the common 7 1/4, 10, and 12 inch ones.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Katosabi posted:

I have both the Knipex pliers wrench and the Stanley locking crescent. The Knipex are nice because you can "ratchet" with it, whereas the crescent you have to unlock, remove, and put it back on the fastener. The Knipex can also handle bigger fasteners.

I'll have to find one to try out. This whole conversation inspired me to do my big project in my Value Analysis/Value Engineering class on adjustable wrenches. Buying tools as an education expense. :woop:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I finally got the time and chance to use my mill/drill machine. 1/2" HSS Chinese endmill, 2500rpm. Not the best, but close enough for government work. Then marked center line (which you can't see thanks to the scratches), and tapped the two 1/4-20 threads.

http://i.imgur.com/eJuw80d.jpg

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wow, got my 5 inch Knipex pliers in today (drunkbought last night, thanks Amazon). They're sure drat proud of these tools at $45 for a 5 inch tool, but it does feel pretty skookum. Clever mechanism and reinforcement, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve wanted that 5″ Knipex, for a while, but yeah, it’s just so expensive for a dinky hand tool that I don’t need.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'll field-test it. First step, seeing if I can get it to fit with my leatherman in a single pouch.

Now, kiss!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Wow, got my 5 inch Knipex pliers in today (drunkbought last night, thanks Amazon). They're sure drat proud of these tools at $45 for a 5 inch tool, but it does feel pretty skookum. Clever mechanism and reinforcement, too.

As someone who uses several different sizes and types every day for work, Knipex pliers are worth the money if you use them every day.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm having some trouble with my electric chainsaw. I was cutting into a log when the chain got bound up; I had to use a minor amount of force to free it. After that, the chain keeps slipping off the sprocket, or at least that's what I assume is happening -- at the first sign of resistance, the chain simply stops turning. The motor runs, and if I remove the cover I can see the sprocket turning. If I reassemble everything, it'll seem fine, with the chain moving as normal, but again as soon as I touch the moving chain to anything it'll just stop.

Any idea what could be going on here? And how do I fix it?

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
Do electric saws have clutches? It sounds like you either burnt the clutch out, or sheared a key off of the shaft. That's my first impression, but I have been known to overlook the obvious a time or two.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any idea what could be going on here? And how do I fix it?

It's probably either the chain brake or the tension of the chain. I'd confirm that the chain brake is fully extended and maybe play with it a bit to ensure that it is locked forward (watch the spinning chain, obviously.) Then, I'd ensure the chain has the required level of tautness. The manual should tell you what that should be (it will be different for hot/cold chain.)

Failing that, take the cover, chain, and bar completely off and inspect all the parts. Make sure the chain spins freely and the bar isn't bent, and then look at the drive sprocket and ensure it isn't damaged. Beyond that, for electrics there is usually some kind of nylon gear that does the driving. It's a replaceable (and considered a wear) part, but you may want to just return it if it's new.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Anybody got a lead on a first-in-first-out battery box? All the plastic battery organizers I can find on Amazon have discrete little notches for each battery, meaning you'd have to rotate them manually. I could swear I used to see ones that you filled from the top and pulled batteries out of the bottom (like this but for batteries), but now there seems to be no such thing. I need to organize my costco battery hoard.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Baby's first 3D PRINT for most people. Check thingiverse and then makexyz or 3dhubs?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Jordanis posted:

Anybody got a lead on a first-in-first-out battery box? All the plastic battery organizers I can find on Amazon have discrete little notches for each battery, meaning you'd have to rotate them manually. I could swear I used to see ones that you filled from the top and pulled batteries out of the bottom (like this but for batteries), but now there seems to be no such thing. I need to organize my costco battery hoard.

Harbor Freight used to have one, but it seems to have disappeared. Item 94695 : http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=3769

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jordanis posted:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/kitchen-drawer-organizers/battery-rack-organizer-with-tester/12d?productId=10005204 Will that do you?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Baby's first 3D PRINT for most people. Check thingiverse and then makexyz or 3dhubs?

Probably will be for me, too, once I get a 3D printer.

sharkytm posted:

Harbor Freight used to have one, but it seems to have disappeared. Item 94695 : http://hfreviews.com/item.php?id=3769

I swear it's a conspiracy.

Perfect! Thank you very much.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's actually a pretty baller rack, better than my 3d printed ones. I've just got a 24 or 36 battery holder for AA and AAA batteries.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Anyone have thoughts on portable air tanks vs small hot dog / pancake compressors? I'm doing a lot of trim work in the house lately, and my wife (and small child) are pretty fed up with the compressor noise. A buddy of mine recommended that i pick up a HF 11 gal portable tank and just tote that around instead.

The house is just big enough to where dragging a hose in from the garage probably wouldn't work. So i think it's either drag around a small compressor, or drag around a portable tank.

Shooting at like 100psi, any idea for how many nails you'd be able to shoot with these small portable tanks before having to refill it?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sointenly posted:

Anyone have thoughts on portable air tanks vs small hot dog / pancake compressors? I'm doing a lot of trim work in the house lately, and my wife (and small child) are pretty fed up with the compressor noise. A buddy of mine recommended that i pick up a HF 11 gal portable tank and just tote that around instead.

The house is just big enough to where dragging a hose in from the garage probably wouldn't work. So i think it's either drag around a small compressor, or drag around a portable tank.

Shooting at like 100psi, any idea for how many nails you'd be able to shoot with these small portable tanks before having to refill it?

I'm not sure how invested you are already in nail guns, but have you considered a cordless nailer especially for trim work? I've been super intrigued with the Ryobi 18ga for a while, but don't know a ton about them.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've got the ryobi 18V nailer and its worked well for me around the house but i'm not a contractor and have no other brands to compare it to. It's pretty quiet and does not drain the batteries very fast.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No link, but AvE did a teardown of it, too, and was pleasantly not-poo poo-disgusted, which is as good of an endorsement as any.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Practical and safe!

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Falco posted:

I'm not sure how invested you are already in nail guns, but have you considered a cordless nailer especially for trim work? I've been super intrigued with the Ryobi 18ga for a while, but don't know a ton about them.

yep yep, have been down the cordless nailer road already. I have a couple Dewalt 18v Finish / brad, and i'm not a huge fan. Would prefer to stick with my air arsenal.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

No link, but AvE did a teardown of it, too, and was pleasantly not-poo poo-disgusted, which is as good of an endorsement as any.

Looks like it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7ORqBtHVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sointenly posted:

California Air Tools, stupid quiet compressors, come in a variety of sizes and styles, and are about as expensive as a Sears version.