Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

IRQ posted:

I keep forgetting the crappy show already got through the most obvious plot twist ever of Jon coming back to life but the books are still stalled there.

The show also shows us that Theon makes it back to the iron islands. He's their prince....their prince!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The show isn't book spoilers because you know he threw away everything he's written that the show has covered and is now going to do the opposite.

I mean, if he was actually writing.

I'm kinda disappointed that based on the show the zombie cat plot line doesn't go anywhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I estimate Gurm has about 250 new pages and this number isn't about to change anytime soon cause he keeps on rewriting them.

There's also like 50 pages he read at various conventions and nothing happens in any of them.

The man is basically terrified of moving his plot forward and he uses perfectionism as a crutch, there is no book.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the forsaken chapters are insanely good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Before the start of the last season he also mentioned how a character killed off on the show would end up with a different fate in the books, which is likely a reference to Rickon or Martell. Though it'd actually require him to write the books for it to matter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Mago is Azor Ahai. Haha, your show is ruined, D&D! You can never do this excellent twist!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In the show it kinda felt like the killed off Rickon because they didn't know what to do with him.

Come to think of it, is there any indication book Ramsay knows he and Bran are alive? He could have tortured it out of Reek for sure. He could easily declare either as a pretender anyway, so I don't know how much it matters.

I am really curious about what happens to Rickon. Something with Lady Stoneheart maybe? Imagine how pissed a revenge zombie would be she thought some treacherous dickbag was trotting around an imposter. Or maybe knowing he still lives would chill her out... Also he growls and bites, has been hanging out with a wildling on Cannibal Island. He is going to be more savage than Stark.

Edit: FWIW, I don't really think the A Skagossi are cannibals, just more like Wildlings than other Northerners. I bet stories of cannibalism started after a few cases in a particularly bad winter and they are happy to let people believe it since it keeps them away. Also I bet the stories of unicorns are really narwhals, just like real history.

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 6, 2017

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

deoju posted:

In the show it kinda felt like the killed off Rickon because they didn't know what to do with him.

Come to think of it, is there any indication book Ramsay knows he and Bran are alive? He could have tortured it out of Reek for sure. He could easily declare either as a pretender anyway, so I don't know how much it matters.

Yeah, cause he was the one who suggested they kill the two miller's wife's kids in the first place. He probably doesn't care, though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What about giant ice spiders?

Just dumb old Nan talking poo poo like she knew Hodor's name was really Walder?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cavelcade posted:

Yeah, cause he was the one who suggested they kill the two miller's wife's kids in the first place. He probably doesn't care, though.

Oh, yeah. I'd forgotten that was Reek Ramsay.

As for ice spiders, Old Nan talks about them, and Sam reads about them. That's enough for me to say 'wait and see.'

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

deoju posted:

I am really curious about what happens to Rickon. Something with Lady Stoneheart maybe? Imagine how pissed a revenge zombie would be she thought some treacherous dickbag was trotting around an imposter. Or maybe knowing he still lives would chill her out... Also he growls and bites, has been hanging out with a wildling on Cannibal Island. He is going to be more savage than Stark.

Edit: FWIW, I don't really think the A Skagossi are cannibals, just more like Wildlings than other Northerners. I bet stories of cannibalism started after a few cases in a particularly bad winter and they are happy to let people believe it since it keeps them away. Also I bet the stories of unicorns are really narwhals, just like real history.

In the books the only people who definitely know he's alive, and where, is House Fat Man. Ramsay could theoretically get his hands on Rickon but it'd require something like Davos finding Rickon and bringing him back to White Harbor, then on to Winterfell, before Jon revives and attacks Winterfell.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Can't Davos easily get captured? He has to go through Bolton and Karstark waters and/or lands.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lycus posted:

Can't Davos easily get captured? He has to go through Bolton and Karstark waters and/or lands.

But he's the onion knight, nobody's taking him at sea

It's inconceivable

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
"Hold The Door!"

Every day it sounds stupider.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

deoju posted:

No, the unicorns are real but more in line with proper mythological unicorns - someone has a wolf dream in which Shaggydog is fighting a goat-like creature with one horn. They're not horses with spirally horns but more like the 'traditional' creature with the body of a deer, tail of a lion, beard like a goat's etc etc.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wonder who will get to kill Stannis in the book, that scene in the show was perfect.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder who will get to kill Stannis in the book, that scene in the show was perfect.

The fact that it should be Brienne because she owed him big time is the number one reason the absolute fucker will not write it that way

#2 is D&D

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

Before the start of the last season he also mentioned how a character killed off on the show would end up with a different fate in the books, which is likely a reference to Rickon or Martell. Though it'd actually require him to write the books for it to matter.

I assume it was Barristan not dying like a total bitch.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Mad Hamish posted:

No, the unicorns are real but more in line with proper mythological unicorns - someone has a wolf dream in which Shaggydog is fighting a goat-like creature with one horn. They're not horses with spirally horns but more like the 'traditional' creature with the body of a deer, tail of a lion, beard like a goat's etc etc.

Jon in a dream...
"A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat's long horn had raked him." Dance with Dragons, Chapter 3, John 1

I read that as ' where one of the goat's horns raked him' rather than 'where the goat's one horn raked him.' :shrug:

But after some googling apparently Leaf tells Bran the unicorns are almost all gone in chapter 34 of Dance, so unicorns exist somewhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that the unicorns are just a species of pygmy rhinos. It's the most gurm thing really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MrSlam posted:

"Hold The Door!"

Every day it sounds stupider.

It baffles me how so many people think this was such a touching scene and not at all stupid hackey poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And he held the door well enough that a young girl pulled a cripple through a snow storm far enough away that a good guy zombie had time to save them from the super fast frost zombies. That poor actor is going to have people telling him to "Hold the door!" for the rest of his life.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

He already had people yelling "Hodor" at him all the time.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

It baffles me how so many people think this was such a touching scene and not at all stupid hackey poo poo.

I thought the execution was tv-cheesy, but the core idea is pretty intense, and sad.

It is also kind weird that GRRM went into this series knowing it would involve time-travel mumbo jumbo.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

And he held the door well enough that a young girl pulled a cripple through a snow storm far enough away that a good guy zombie had time to save them from the super fast frost zombies. That poor actor is going to have people telling him to "Hold the door!" for the rest of his life.

He can just hand them a flyer for his next DJ gig everytime!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

kcroy posted:

I thought the execution was tv-cheesy, but the core idea is pretty intense, and sad.

It is also kind weird that GRRM went into this series knowing it would involve time-travel mumbo jumbo.

Some people do not mind the tv-cheesy execution or can look past it.

Speaking of show vs books I found cold hand's 30s in show hilarious compared to the books. Show is "hi, I saved you guys because I'm your uncle, Benjen. Now run along south of wall, I can't go with you since I'm a zombie!" Whereas he's been a mystery for how many books?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

Isn't he more of a DJ than an actor?

I don't how this will affect his spinning.

DJ hold that beat!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kcroy posted:

literally all of martins other work is insane high concept scifi madness

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

syscall girl posted:

DJ hold that beat!

:golfclap:

And the idea of Hodor is a pretty excellent one; the fact that it was in a poo poo show first is, well.

quote:

I assume it was Barristan not dying like a total bitch.

That still pisses me off immensely.
If you're going to get characters jacked in an insurrection, at least have the decency to make it a play of assassins and poo poo, not straight up open martial combat with THE BEST WARRIORS IN TOWN.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I never actually checked, so I decided to see which the director thought it was best for the Harpies to just run at enemies with daggers instead of doing sneaky urban warfare type stuff, and I'm not surprised it was Mark Mylod.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

literally all of martins other work is insane high concept scifi madness

All I've read of his other stuff is:

Fevre Dream: vampire book
Wildcards: ok, madness, i dunno about high concept though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SaviourX posted:

That still pisses me off immensely.
If you're going to get characters jacked in an insurrection, at least have the decency to make it a play of assassins and poo poo, not straight up open martial combat with THE BEST WARRIORS IN TOWN.

The show's version of the Unsullied were such a goddamn joke. They're supposed to be one of the best fighting forces in the world, soldiers who can break Dothraki hordes, yet they're regularly getting taken out by random guys in masks with daggers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The show's version of the Unsullied were such a goddamn joke. They're supposed to be one of the best fighting forces in the world, soldiers who can break Dothraki hordes, yet they're regularly getting taken out by random guys in masks with daggers.

I think the second unit doing Meereen and Dorne fight scenes was funded out of spare change found in a couch.

The same unit was probably involved with the Westworld finale's security scenes too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I mean, there's nothing wrong on paper with a great military force getting their rear end kicked by guerrilla urban warfare. But the director did it all wrong.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Well yeah, guerilla poo poo works all the time in history/life, but not when you're like 'hey, we're known for using shields and spears and it's a brightly lit day and oh we got cornered in this extremely spacious alley,' and whoops, we're dead anyway to guys with daggers and nothing else.

e: Not even arrows or throwing knives or anything, ffs.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SaviourX posted:

Well yeah, guerilla poo poo works all the time in history/life, but not when you're like 'hey, we're known for using shields and spears and it's a brightly lit day and oh we got cornered in this extremely spacious alley,' and whoops, we're dead anyway to guys with daggers and nothing else.

e: Not even arrows or throwing knives or anything, ffs.

"We're well known for our incredible discipline and the effectiveness of our shield wall. Quick, let's separate out to fight one on one!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah I can nit pick a lot about the show's fight scenes, especially that loving star wars prequels tower of joy twirly double swords bullshit, but the unsullied are obviously some kind of roman legion thing and they sucked at fighting alone too, it was all about unit cohesiveness.

Of course their backstory doesn't entirely support that but we all know gurm is kind of poo poo at planning things out properly.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have the Unsullied been wrecked ever in the books? I can't remember it happening at all.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Have the Unsullied been wrecked ever in the books? I can't remember it happening at all.

Not in the field, though they have been assassinated when alone at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

gently caress you for reminding me of that two swords tower of joy scene lol jesus christ that was bad