Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Plavsky Particles by 2025.

Also, does anyone have a rundown on all the RX-78 MGs? Is the 3.0 the definitive version?

Ver OYW, also called the 1.5, and 2.0 are generally regarded as better. 3.0 had a lot of little bits and the infamous Emotion Manipulators. I preferred the 1.5 to 3.0 though haven't built 2.0 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
im just about done building the 3.0 and have had zero problems with it

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm a big fan of the Origin MG

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
As somebody who hasn't owned a single RX-78-2 kit proper, years of seeing reviews and reports is that the 2.0 nailed a sweet spot in terms of quality and experimental features. The 3.0's best features are that it's an overdesigned 2.0, and the Origin is an extremely less sloppy 3.0.

Generally speaking, the Gundam never just gets a kit. It always gets a test platform for new model technologies and ideas.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

i want the valcazard to join the illustrious "extremely expensive shelf" tier of the neo-zeong

If they made a 1/144 Valzacard it'd be as big as a short person and then I'd finally have a friend :smith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

As somebody who hasn't owned a single RX-78-2 kit proper, years of seeing reviews and reports is that the 2.0 nailed a sweet spot in terms of quality and experimental features. The 3.0's best features are that it's an overdesigned 2.0, and the Origin is an extremely less sloppy 3.0.

Generally speaking, the Gundam never just gets a kit. It always gets a test platform for new model technologies and ideas.

Aside from being "the" Gundam, it's really the best choice for new tech as it's the most generic template kit to use; Basic humanoid design, rifle, shield, and beam swords. No transformations, flight packs, or excess equipment.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

If they made a 1/144 Valzacard it'd be as big as a short person and then I'd finally have a friend :smith:

I just want revoltechs of all the OG units. Just give me everything. I'll take it all.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from being "the" Gundam, it's really the best choice for new tech as it's the most generic template kit to use; Basic humanoid design, rifle, shield, and beam swords. No transformations, flight packs, or excess equipment.

poo poo, it's the Gundam! A Gundam that isn't a prototype would just be wrong.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I just want revoltechs of all the OG units. Just give me everything. I'll take it all.

What I really want is models of the R-team where 1) the R-1 can transform without partsforming and 2) They can actually combine into SRX, but I know it'll never happen. To go back to a discussion some pages back: The thing that really annoys me about many Kotobukiya kits (besides when they're just not completely in the right color) is their failure to incorporate the gimmicks of the robots. I don't care one way or the other about inner frames, but if a robot can transform I want the model to transform!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm okay with things not transforming, especially when they're ludicrous to impossible (see the horrible attempts at combining getters or the kinda sucky attempts to make Aquarion toys that combined), and I'd rather have something that looks good and isn't basically broken from the word go than something 110% feature complete.

But really I just want a Bellzelute, Grungust, Valsione, and every Gespenst and Huckebein ever that I can just have on my desk that look and pose good, and aren't made from broken promises, compromise, and gossamer thin plastic.

...And the same goes for Aquarion since I brought it up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
aaaaa poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The only NA gundam i care about wears football pads and shoots guns while surfing

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
also this

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I hope they keep their promises in the form of flashy stickers on the box so you know what's good inside

EVOLUTION POINT: parts do not fall when shaken!
EVOLUTION POINT: this kit was not designed by Naoki.
EVOLUTION POINT: bet you thought we'd never make an MG out of the Zolo

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Droyer posted:

What I really want is models of the R-team where 1) the R-1 can transform without partsforming and 2) They can actually combine into SRX, but I know it'll never happen.

Those kits actually came out, in 1/144 scale, and they were even sold as an exorbitantly expensive set at one point.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Volks line of SRW stuff? They're more poseable figures than models. I wouldn't even describe them as action figures because they're not exactly articulated well enough.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone interested in picking up some cheap Real Grades should take a loot at Amazon right now. I just picked up the GP-01fb for $20.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Stupid question - this wants me to put the decal on F5, right?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah and you'll be able to see it through K6 I'm guessing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
So, do/have Bandai reissued NG Seed sets outside the main guys? I dont like most of the designs but I'm a sucker for robot doges, and 25+ dollars is a bit pricey for what doesnt appear to have balljointed legs.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neurolimal posted:

So, do/have Bandai reissued NG Seed sets outside the main guys? I dont like most of the designs but I'm a sucker for robot doges, and 25+ dollars is a bit pricey for what doesnt appear to have balljointed legs.

You're talking about the HG BuCUE, right? No idea about re-issues but it definitely has ball-jointed legs: http://dalong.net/review/seed/sh48/sh48_i.htm

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Oh cool, the amazon pics I saw made it look super rigid. Still, 25 bux for a little dogbot is a bit much.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
With getting closer to winter winding down, I'm looking for a good kit for a paint/weathering project. Any recommendations for 1/100 kits that are well suited toward practicing airbrush shading and battle damage weathering? I did a quick scan through dalong's MG/IBO sections and nothing really popped out for me except Marasai and Gusion. Something that would go well with a custom paint job would be a plus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The new IBO P-Bandai kit is pretty unexpected.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Oh, I saw that and thought it was just a custom paint job. Guess I'll get that one at some point.

Edit: Oh wait, P-Bandai.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
There's going to be a Calimity War/origin type variant of every gundam frame in IBO.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That Gobbo posted:

With getting closer to winter winding down, I'm looking for a good kit for a paint/weathering project. Any recommendations for 1/100 kits that are well suited toward practicing airbrush shading and battle damage weathering? I did a quick scan through dalong's MG/IBO sections and nothing really popped out for me except Marasai and Gusion. Something that would go well with a custom paint job would be a plus.

Not Gundam, but the Cherno Alpha benefits greatly from painting, and it has nice big parts that go together well. I could see it being good for shading and it'd do nothing but great from some weathering.

If it helps I'm doing a WIP for it.

Part 1: http://imgur.com/a/InKnz
Part 2: http://imgur.com/a/ABzPM

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The 1/100 Tallgeese is a pretty popular MG kit for projects; all the armor is slide-on rathet than snap-fit, very clear and deep panel lines, and lots of flat and rounded surfaces to play with. also fairly cheap for an MG.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

The 1/100 Tallgeese is a pretty popular MG kit for projects; all the armor is slide-on rathet than snap-fit, very clear and deep panel lines, and lots of flat and rounded surfaces to play with. also fairly cheap for an MG.

Plus IIRC there are no externally visible seams in the armor or exposed on the frame... I think. Gotta check at home.

Speaking of projects - would a coat of Future for decaling/panel lining, another coat of Future to protect same, and a coat of flat suffice to make a painted kit poseable? Or am I stuck with two-part automotive urethane clear coat and the continuous delays in building a powerful enough spray booth to exhaust the fumes without killing all the inhabitants of my house?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
If your just panel lining and not painting : clear coat > panel lining/decals > flat coat is fine.

No need for another clear on top then flat.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Even if I want to have movable parts? I'd love to make Cherno such that the fist parts can be swapped out if my friend wants to without screwing up the visible parts of the inner frame.

Also, yeah, I'm painting. I'd love to have something movable/transformable; my ReZel will forever be in mobile suit mode because it scratches if I look at it funny.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Assuming that kit uses rubber joints (polycaps) they should be able to just be wiggled loose after coat sprays. Just exercise all the joints carefully between each coat after the decal sealing one.

You might have to do a lot of shaving and sub-assembly spraying if its all plastic balljoints and sockets, though.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
finished MG RX-78-2 v3.0

This was my first MG kit but I found it easier than the two RGs I've done (mainly because of its bigger scale). I guess people complain about the emotion manipulators but they were fine for me? The biggest issue I had was the placement of the copper colored stickers for the elbow and knee joints. The knees used 6? stickers each to try to color the joints (drat it bandai just make the piece copper) while the elbow ones immediately start flaking off due to friction when moving.

Thinking about either Unicorn or Sazabi as my next kit. If i wanted an MG Unicorn with the green psychoframe, am I stuck with the full armor version? Can I build that without all the crazy poo poo on its back? Alternatively, what's the difference between the original and OVA version? As for Sazabi, I assume i should get the Ka version as it's far newer?

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 11, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kuvo posted:

Thinking about either Unicorn or Sazabi as my next kit. If i wanted an MG Unicorn with the green psychoframe, am I stuck with the full armor version? Can I build that without all the crazy poo poo on its back? Alternatively, what's the difference between the original and OVA version? As for Sazabi, I assume i should get the Ka version as it's far newer?

If you want the green psychoframe just get the Full Armor. None of the weapons are "required" for the build so you can use whatever you want plus have a shitload left over for other kits. You can see the differences between the original and OVA here: http://otakurevolution.com/content/mg-unicorn-ver-ka-vs-ova-comparison

Yes, get the Sazabi ver. ka. The original MG is basically an obsolete antique now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Most production companies have an A team and a B team, Bandai has a K team and an N team

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kuvo posted:

finished MG RX-78-2 v3.0

This was my first MG kit but I found it easier than the two RGs I've done (mainly because of its bigger scale). I guess people complain about the emotion manipulators but they were fine for me? The biggest issue I had was the placement of the copper colored stickers for the elbow and knee joints. The knees used 6? stickers each to try to color the joints (drat it bandai just make the piece copper) while the elbow ones immediately start flaking off due to friction when moving.

I love the emotion manips, but I think most people's problem with them is they aren't great for holding weapons, especially some of the big honkin ones you see often in Gundam.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I love them until you have a knuckle come really loose and fall off into the carpet, never to be seen again. They work way better at PG scale because at that size they can tolerate loosening up a bit due to wear without immediately going to pieces.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Tallgeese 1/100 sounds pretty good as a paint project, I'll take a look at picking that up. Thanks for the recommendations.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

The Muffinlord posted:

I love them until you have a knuckle come really loose and fall off into the carpet, never to be seen again. They work way better at PG scale because at that size they can tolerate loosening up a bit due to wear without immediately going to pieces.

That's my problem with them. My RX-78 3.0 is missing the tip of one of its fingers on the left hand. At least it was a learning experience for my Hi-Nu ver. Ka and Nightingale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kuroyama posted:

That's my problem with them. My RX-78 3.0 is missing the tip of one of its fingers on the left hand. At least it was a learning experience for my Hi-Nu ver. Ka and Nightingale.

If you have a small enough rivet making tool and thin styrene you might be able to take care of this by gluing a cap to the joint peg on the other side of the connecting joint. It would probably be a bunch of work though.